Racing Game Sales Figures

Forza Motorsport 7

Racing Simulator :lol:
I’m confused too. The term racing sim wasn’t even used once in the article, unless @Jordan said this to @Brend: “Thou shalt not call FM7 a racing sim.” :P

EDIT: Yes it was. The term was used in the beginning of the article to put the two games into the sim racing category. And while FM7 isn’t exactly a sim racer, you could argue the same about GT Sport.

TokoTurismo not fond of a GT game? ...Is this a new thing or have I been lost in a time warp these last few years? :boggled:

For all many people rage about AAA franchise games full of microtransactions and lootboxes and grinding elements...doesn't seem to stop them selling does it? Sigh.

Although having said that, nice to see GT Sport - which so far hasn't dabbled anywhere near as much with such nonsense - doing pretty well in terms of racing games. And my nostalgic heart who 100%ed the original games back in the day is VERY happy to see Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy doing well still <3

NFS Payback Leads GT Sport
First good NFS since Most Wanted '12 👍 Still, far from being a good full price purchase, its still miles behind Horizon and even The Crew.

AAA franchise games full of microtransactions and lootboxes and grinding elements
You can pass through Payback singleplayer without any race repeating and microtransactions. However, multiplayer is pure s.

doing pretty well in terms of racing games
Even near with lacking new features and original content, bugged and full of doubtful decisions FM7 it looks like a demo. 60$ demo :lol:

Out of all them, I bought WWE 2k18 on Boxing Day for £23 at GAME.Uk And I'm enjoying it a lot. Glad it's doing well, because it's the best wrestling game I've played since 2k14.

Had the opportunity to get NFS Payback while it was on sale. I was tempted with it being a NFS title but with the direction it's went in, it's just not for my taste. Dislike the new upgrading system a lot. In fact I hate it.

But I hope the people who bought it has much fun with the new NFS. The story looks good and the gameplay looks fun. Shame EA had to screw it up with the stupid upgrading system other wise I would of bought it. (Just my opinion)

Anyway, it's nice to also see FM7 & GT Sport doing well.

I still continue to be floored by the number of people buying GTAV. Seriously, who doesn't already own it? Same goes for Sims 4.

Unless of course, they count Shark Cards in GTAV's number and the millions of expansions in the Sims.

I believe this doesn't count digital sales from the PS/MS Stores, which makes GTAV's continued charting all the more amazing. As you said, who doesn't already own a copy that didn't want it?!

It's very, very surprising, given the three series' traditional sales figures, that NFS, GT, and FM are all so close each week. I wonder how representative of the global numbers the UK figures are...

Umm excuse me but how. Lol I’ve been playing need for speed since the first one by road and track and I have nfs 2015 and payback and there both horrible to put it lightly. Even as a arcade racer there not great, story is lack luster and cringey, handling don’t get me started it’s terrible and that stupid speed card systems is the worst idea. I play payback for a few hours and I’m pulling my hair out:(. And the world feels dead too. It’s better than 2015 but still horrible. Car customisation is really nice and I wish it had cockpit camera rather than sitting on the bonnet:(. I’ll try more to play it.

Last edited:
I'll admit I'm curious as to the frequent U.K. sales chart references of late. It's just weird, picking one country like that. Like where's the France sales chart? Or Australian? Are they less exciting? I don't get it. :confused:

I still continue to be floored by the number of people buying GTAV. Seriously, who doesn't already own it? Same goes for Sims 4.

Unless of course, they count Shark Cards in GTAV's number and the millions of expansions in the Sims.
Me. :lol:
I've been at a long lasting disagreement with the pricing, but finally grabbed it for my son, and to be honest, myself. It was $32 including a 1.25m great white shark card. (Which otherwise won't be bought, because holy hell they're expensive for nothing)
I believe this doesn't count digital sales from the PS/MS Stores, which makes GTAV's continued charting all the more amazing. As you said, who doesn't already own a copy that didn't want it?!

It's very, very surprising, given the three series' traditional sales figures, that NFS, GT, and FM are all so close each week. I wonder how representative of the global numbers the UK figures are...
Mine was digital, and obviously not in the UK.

What you hear is the vocal minority.
While it's true there are plenty of people that don't mind being swindled, in fact, the greater majority seem to desire it, there are plenty of people that don't go on internet forums at all that don't like it.
Such a refusal of technology as to not wade into internet discussions might actually indicate a personality more resilient to micro-transactions.

Can't lie it being $30 on psn I couldn't help but try it out even though I knew it would be garbage, the customization is honestly the only good thing about this game,it's great for people who like making liveries and for those into building and showing off their cars unfortunately the sad part is that it doesn't have freeroam which is insane seeing how it was in the last game. The fact that this game took 2 years to come out is pretty odd aswell seeing how it pretty much looks like a copy and paste job.

I cant believe this garbage game is making so many sales. While Project Cars 2 and most likely GTR3 which will release next year will most likely have poor sales.

NFS appeals to a lot more people than GT and Forza.

Casual gamers want to drift at 130mph, not drive in serious races with penalties on.

That is indeed exactly the reason. The casual guy who picks up a racing game (and those are far more numbered than the first row racing fans) just wants something easy to play next to his CoD, Battlefield or Overwatch. The NFS games require no skill at all to enjoy at least the singleplayer content and I guess with Payback the Fast & Furious feeling from the trailers lures a bunch of people in as well.

I got all those racing games mentioned and at it's core Payback is not a bad game (not great either). On the positive side the world is quite nice with some interesting eco-themes and roads on challenging elevations. And the visual car upgrade system is still the best one in the racing genre. On the negative side is the slot machine upgrade cards system, the absolutely aweful voice acting and sub-par story, the annoying cut-scenes that brutally take you out of the action and the lack of Toyota AND Ferrari. I do know why Ferrari is absent though, they are very strict on modifications on their cars. I was already surprised Turn 10 got away with allowing a Liberty Walk body kit for the 458 Italia in FH3 (is it still in the game for FM7?). Back in the days of the Turn 10 anniversary packs for FH2 and FM6 the 458 Italia was also the only car to not get the anniversary livery but was just monotome black. In RR3 on mobile phones the customization for all Ferrari cars was much less than other brands as well. The previous NFS game already had very limited customization for Ferrari so it was just left out for Payback since customization is a big part of the cars.

Nevertheless, Payback doesn't even come remotely close to FH3 in fun factor. Playing Payback I got reminded just how good FH3 really is for an arcade open world racer.

I'll admit I'm curious as to the frequent U.K. sales chart references of late. It's just weird, picking one country like that. Like where's the France sales chart? Or Australian? Are they less exciting? I don't get it. :confused:

Me. :lol:
I've been at a long lasting disagreement with the pricing, but finally grabbed it for my son, and to be honest, myself. It was $32 including a 1.25m great white shark card. (Which otherwise won't be bought, because holy hell they're expensive for nothing)
Mine was digital, and obviously not in the UK.

While it's true there are plenty of people that don't mind being swindled, in fact, the greater majority seem to desire it, there are plenty of people that don't go on internet forums at all that don't like it.
Such a refusal of technology as to not wade into internet discussions might actually indicate a personality more resilient to micro-transactions.
I'll admit one of the reasons from my perspective is that I've always been pretty interested in this stuff. Particularly for Gran Turismo as a pretty good region for sales there, too. There's also the good thing that the sales information is very consistent. As far as numbers go, GfK is pretty damn reliable. :lol:!

Plus, there was that whole 'race to best selling exclusive' that looked possible when GT had that resurgence under discounting. It was interesting (or so I would say!) to see if it could pop Crash to the post. :)

For all many people rage about AAA franchise games full of microtransactions and lootboxes and grinding elements...doesn't seem to stop them selling does it? Sigh.

Although having said that, nice to see GT Sport - which so far hasn't dabbled anywhere near as much with such nonsense - doing pretty well in terms of racing games. And my nostalgic heart who 100%ed the original games back in the day is VERY happy to see Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy doing well still <3
Good thing Forza hasn't either, yet. If you think the lootboxes in Forza are anything like the ones in EA games, you're gravely mistaken. All it is currently is a way for you to get random prizes, using gaming credits. When they introduce microtransactions to speed credit games, that'll become a different issue. So far, nothing is in as of yet.

All these racing games are doing well, to be honest.

The so called Gran Turismo Sport dropping and dropping, nice:lol:
I fail to see what's nice about that statement.

Does anyone have any experience playing FH3 with the T300? Even better - can anyone compare how the T300 feels in FH3 vs. DC?

Been eyeing that game for a while now.

Back