Rally - Do you want it in pCARS?

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 44 comments

Do you want rallying in pCARS?

• Total voters
I chose making a side game about rally. It's been discussed on the WMD forums in the past, it needs quite a big change to the physics engine to have rallying in the game, and so it has been shelved to focus on circuit racing, with the possibility of it being released as a stable title.

It all depends really, if including rally cars is going to hinder the progress of the road and race cars then I would rather SMS include it in a future release. For me, asphalt takes priority; it's what I enjoy watching and what I want to play.

If pCARS can offer a top tier rally racing experience that doesn't detract from the road racing experience, then hell yes. But, if SMS can't quite achieve this, then rallying should be left out to focus on nailing down the road racing experience.

Yeah same from me.
I'd love to see a rally game up to the standard of physics pCars are trying to achieve. If they can do it, great. If they can't right now and something comes seperately, also great!

This WMD member would still want it in pCARS though, as part of a growing and expanding career path. I just would love to go from F1 to Rally, than maybe some Indy or Nascar and go to DTM while finally ending up in Endurance. At the end of it all I wish to try some drifting... maybe.

Personally I would rather see pCARS as this age's ToCA, and than much better and far more realistic.

It might not be in pCARS 1 or 2 as included or DLC, but I think it is worth the wait.

I wanted to choose Yes, definitely, but if they can do staggered stage runs in an online event, that'd be heavenly.

Jerome

No. I want focus in the game, not jack of all trades, master of none.

Isn't the game already a jack of all trades? What more does an extra trade matter.
I mean we have... Formula, GT, Kart, Stock car, Prototype, Touring, Road.
Also if it is about going off road, we need to handle that anyway for when you get next to the circuit and onto dirt, grass, gravel. So it will just become a more detailed extension of the current Physics.
We also have point to point stages already. Azure Coast and California Highway.

I don't see the issue apart from simply further evolving our Physics and Particle engines.

..because if there were to do rally I'd want it done properly, which means a full season of events, which would mean 100+ rally stages. I just don't think we have the time to do that, and I wouldn't want a half assed "rally" section like a certain game series does.

..because if there were to do rally I'd want it done properly, which means a full season of events, which would mean 100+ rally stages. I just don't think we have the time to do that, and I wouldn't want a half assed "rally" section like a certain game series does.

That's exactly how a lot of us felt when we talked about. I'm pretty sure most of us would love to have rally (I definitely would like to), but at the end of the day, it was decided that if it's gonna be added, it would have to be after the main game was done. That way there would be more time to focus on it, to make sure it's done properly.

Yeah, I guess I signed up at WMD after the vote as I don't remember it but that's certainly the way I'd have gone.

No. The members spoke out against it in favor of a full, dedicated standalone game in the future.
0e3.png

There was this racing game on the GBA that also made a "track only" standalone game. After that, they later made a "rally/off road" standalone game. Best to not eat everything all at once without finishing one first. ;)

I voted "Yes, definitely" to express my enthusiasm, but I'm OK with the current plan of focusing on it at a later date. The first time I read about pCARS, I think they still listed rally under "FRANCHISE MODE" on the webpage, and it's one of the things that caught my attention on this game. If pCARS is all about motorsports (in contrast to something like GT/Forza), rally is my favorite motorsport by far!

There's so much potential in a standalone title with true depth like pCARS. With Shift 2 Unleashed and pCARS, SMS have proven their good taste in what makes for great racing venues, so the stages they come up with ought to be fantastic. Hopefully they'll be nice and narrow, long, and abundant!

P.S. Please still support the Wii U on this!

Isn't the game already a jack of all trades? What more does an extra trade matter.
I mean we have... Formula, GT, Kart, Stock car, Prototype, Touring, Road.
Also if it is about going off road, we need to handle that anyway for when you get next to the circuit and onto dirt, grass, gravel. So it will just become a more detailed extension of the current Physics.
We also have point to point stages already. Azure Coast and California Highway.

I don't see the issue apart from simply further evolving our Physics and Particle engines.

Because rally is not simply tarmac with less grip. It would be an almost entirely new physics system. Maybe they could reuse the suspension bits and so on, but the where the rubber hits the road it would be completely different. It needs a serious amount of work put in to do it right, and then to support it with a career that makes sense. Multiplayer looks different in rally to road racing. Tracks are completely different, and it would require a whole new set of tracks to be made.

There's enough that it warrants at the very least a major DLC, at the level of a major expansion. Or a standalone game, although it would be nice if it meshed with pCARS in some way.

I want rallying, but I don't want it in pCARS. I want pCARS to be the best road racing experience it can be, and rally detracts from that. When they do rally, I want it to be the best rally experience it can be and road racing detracts from that. I voted as such when it came up on WMD.

Because rally is not simply tarmac with less grip. It would be an almost entirely new physics system. Maybe they could reuse the suspension bits and so on, but the where the rubber hits the road it would be completely different. It needs a serious amount of work put in to do it right, and then to support it with a career that makes sense. Multiplayer looks different in rally to road racing. Tracks are completely different, and it would require a whole new set of tracks to be made.

There's enough that it warrants at the very least a major DLC, at the level of a major expansion. Or a standalone game, although it would be nice if it meshed with pCARS in some way.

I want rallying, but I don't want it in pCARS. I want pCARS to be the best road racing experience it can be, and rally detracts from that. When they do rally, I want it to be the best rally experience it can be and road racing detracts from that. I voted as such when it came up on WMD.

To put it in simple terms. pCARS in the basis can already handle it, but a lot of work needs to be done. It is not like they would build a new game engine for pRALLY.

I am not saying I want it in pCARS 1 or 2 at release or post release DLC. I want to just see it in pCARS as a series. Rally can easily be properly implemented with all its facets. I love rally as much as you do, as I own a Lancia Delta for a reason. But I have full confidence that we can have proper rally in the game.

Last edited:
And you think STM works as simply as that? Andrew has said a long time ago already that STM can use particles to calculate the amount of grip. It's not implemented yet as it should be, hence we still have odd grass behaviour and such. Thus this is the reason why I call it an evolvement of the current tyre model.
STM is simply capable of producing a good rally tyre. We already have a 'dirt tyre' in the game actually just for the sake of fun.

Sure tracks are different. Did I say anywhere that we can do with the current tracks? What I mean by the fact that we have point to point tracks is that we have a system in place already that can deal with that, and not just racing around in circles like on a circuit or oval.

Also multiplayer can be adapted as well as the career to facilitate the proper full on rally experience.

Will this all be ready for pCARS 1 or as DLC for pCARS 1? Hell no!
I might make it sound 'easy' with the above, but that's not the case. The amount of tracks needed, cars to be licensed, STM to be evolved, tyres to test, weather system to improve (snow/ice races etc). There is a hell of a lot to be done!
Is the basis in place for working towards a proper rally implementation within pCARS? Yes it is, or... do you really believe that SMS will build a completely different engine for a pRALLY? Of course not. Just as little as they use a completely different one for WOS. Simply grab the base engine, share assets and dial in the engine for a specific game if needed.

So yeah, I think you don't see the technical capabilities pCARS has under the hood. Cause I love rally as much as you do, and even own a Lancia Delta. Hence it also saddens me that we do not have had a proper rally game in a long time, but that does not stop me from thinking that pCARS is not capable of proper rally.

I don't understand whether you're arguing for pCARS to have rally in it or not.

Yes! And I want to see every Lancia rally car included!

Now, I understand that the base game will not have a rally mode and, as much as it pains me to admit it, this was the right choice.

Project CARS is already very ambitious as it is and a fully developed rally mode on top of an already huge circuit mode would be enough to break both the game and SMS.

But after the release I would like to see an SMS rally game/sim. I don't care if it will be a standalone game or dlc and I don't care about the price. I just want to see SMS's attention-to-detail on a rally game cause I am sure this is going to be something awesome and unique

For pCars it would be nice to see some tarmac hill climb tracks or something. Other than that a future rally game is the way to go.

Of course I want it, but it's not a make or break thing for me. It would be highly unlikely they'd be able to better even Milestone's WRC games since it's not a dedicated rally sim, but as @MildAshers says, some tarmac rally stages would be great. I'd guess that 80% of my time in rFactor, NetKar Pro (offline) and Race 07 was spent doing hill climb stages like @G.T.Ace's rFactor mod in ridiculously fast cars (I never did try it with the DRM mod now that I think about it... Shame my installation broke). In fact quite a lot of my time with pCARS has been spent doing the same thing, but those point-to-point courses are too wide to be challenging, really.

I want to just see it in pCARS as a series.

There's the misunderstanding.

When someone says "Do you want rally in pCARS?", I take pCARS to mean the upcoming game. I think it's premature to talk about it as a series when there isn't even one game out yet.

You don't expect to see rally in the upcoming game, I don't even want them to try. You seem to think that the engine is fundamentally capable of rally, but that it would require significant work to implement. I agree. You want to see pRALLY (or similar) in the future, I said I voted for rally as either an expansion for pCARS or as a standalone.

Where's the disagreement here?

There's the misunderstanding.

When someone says "Do you want rally in pCARS?", I take pCARS to mean the upcoming game. I think it's premature to talk about it as a series when there isn't even one game out yet.

You don't expect to see rally in the upcoming game, I don't even want them to try. You seem to think that the engine is fundamentally capable of rally, but that it would require significant work to implement. I agree. You want to see pRALLY (or similar) in the future, I said I voted for rally as either an expansion for pCARS or as a standalone.

Where's the disagreement here?

The last bit. Standalone or expansion. I just want it to be properly added from the get go. That way the integration would most likely be better done into the career path, as the career path would be made with that in mind. If you would make DLC than either you need to modify the career mode or you just don't add it to it. With the chance that you get people saying "why didn't you include this in the first place, as it is part of the career".

In other words. We might want roughly the same, but the execution is different.

The last bit. Standalone or expansion. I just want it to be properly added from the get go.

Properly added to what? You've already said you don't necessarily want it in pCARS 1 or 2 or as DLC. You want it in a future version of pCARS, and I picked the option in the poll that meant it wasn't in the game being currently made.

There wasn't a "put it in pCARS 3" option that I recall. I don't care what they do with it, as long as it doesn't go in the game that they're making right now. Is that more clear?

I chose making a side game about rally. It's been discussed on the WMD forums in the past, it needs quite a big change to the physics engine to have rallying in the game, and so it has been shelved to focus on circuit racing, with the possibility of it being released as a stable title.
Same for me. I'd rather they focus on getting the core of the game right before moving into what is really a niche area of racing.

I'm a rally fan and enjoy rally, but I'd rather have them focus on what they're doing so the game as a whole doesn't suffer, and I want IndyCar's more! :lol:

"Yes, definitely;" but as an expansion pack added later - similar to how expansion packs have been added to Race07. With all the offshoots of rally as well as the classic short stage, staggered start events.

The caveat should be do it right, as they are with pCARS, or don't do it at all.

Frank

Back