Red Bull Ring

• Thread starter RockerBR
  • 607 comments
PD: Hey guys, NEW NISSAN NEXT MONTH!!!

(1 month later)

PD: Nah, just kidding. Have some new Toyota that we didnt announce until yesterday instead.
Or, Here's your Nissan, and two new cars you never expected, have a nice day.

-Love, Kaz.

Last edited:
Indeed, it was done before either he or the FIA decided pretty much every track had to have a slow, twisty section with no flow. I remember reading it was so advertising on both the hoardings and cars could be seen more easily, but I don't know how true that is.
Sounds possible as its common knowledge and drivers have said the races always a go because of the commercial implications if it don't , there was a boycott but that was the nurbergring

How it looked back in the day, when it was a pure speed circuit:

zeltweg197101.jpg
Wow. Thats some deep forest track right there.

Formula_One_Grand_Prix_Coverart.png

its a 1992 DOS game. It has a sequel before it becomes abandonware.

More screenshots:
Formula%201%20Grand%20Prix_1.png

Formula%201%20Grand%20Prix_2.png

Formula%201%20Grand%20Prix_7.png

This is my favorite. It looks like coming out from instagram:
Formula%201%20Grand%20Prix_8.png

(The video is not mine)

It has 4 sequels, not just one.
GP4 was one of the best racing games I've ever played
Formula_One_Grand_Prix_Coverart.png

its a 1992 DOS game. It has a sequel before it becomes abandonware.

More screenshots:
Formula%201%20Grand%20Prix_1.png

Formula%201%20Grand%20Prix_2.png

Formula%201%20Grand%20Prix_7.png

This is my favorite. It looks like coming out from instagram:
Formula%201%20Grand%20Prix_8.png

(The video is not mine)

It has 3 sequels, not just one.

GP4 was one of the best racing games I've ever played, maybe the most memorable ever. You could edit a lot of stuff and updates were constantly added by fans.

That Deep Forest comparison is pretty spot on isn't it? I never noticed it until now, and yet now it's difficult to see how Deep Forest in reverse is not just a complete inspiration from the old version of this circuit!

Driving this new Red Bull Ring really makes me sad for the old place. That old circuit was truly one of the greatest circuits ever to grace the earth, so fast and so hairy and so challenging. That was of course before it got 'Tilked' and became the circuit you see today. To this day I can't decide what makes me more angry, what was done to this circuit or what was done to the old Hockenheimring.

I like this track, flows good. I hope they bring the next week seasonal races here so can run some more laps with payout and a bunch of different cars :)

That Deep Forest comparison is pretty spot on isn't it? I never noticed it until now, and yet now it's difficult to see how Deep Forest in reverse is not just a complete inspiration from the old version of this circuit!

Driving this new Red Bull Ring really makes me sad for the old place. That old circuit was truly one of the greatest circuits ever to grace the earth, so fast and so hairy and so challenging. That was of course before it got 'Tilked' and became the circuit you see today. To this day I can't decide what makes me more angry, what was done to this circuit or what was done to the old Hockenheimring.

Now I know why it called A1-ring . Its a high speed roller coaster ring track that goes left and right.

Also, Apricot Hill is also inspired by Suzuka in some ways.

So I'll admit, I wasn't that excited to see this track added...there's others I would have liked better.

BUT, after doing some searching, a bunch of people from the drift forums have found a really great drift section on the short version of this track. We do the sweepers in reverse, starting on the back straight. Downhill high speed entry, finishing up with a wall ride...what more can you ask for :)

A nice surprise

I have an ask Kaz thread about old track layouts...
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...layouts-of-existing-real-world-tracks.310269/
come vote and maybe he will answer it and let us know

I drove this track for the first time today on GT6 and I must say it is a really fun track. Just trying to beat the pole time of GP2 using the courtesy 908 HDi car. I found it quite interesting that I can just about beat current fastest practice F1 first sector time and also GP2 qualifying one.

Agreed.

Though I do understand the type of turns needed to make a modern F1 car actually slow down have to be quite awful for any type of normal race car, his tracks are still aesthetically poor.
The only Tilke track I really like is Sepang. Really really great track with so many great corners and sections.

I love the creepy single tree on the right side of the track before the old Panorama curve (Double left) - What is that tiny whitewashed hobbit building doing next to the tree.

I'd love the old track - but Full Fat made from real sugar Sweepers that are very high speed turns were extra dangerous in the past - so they had to do something to make racing safer - plonk chicanes in them or bypass the corners or re-profile them as the run off needed to make a 180mph sweeper safe (Well more safe) is considerable - and then those pesky designers only go and make racing cars go round corners even faster!

The layout is - fiddly - The highlight is the end of Panorama heading to the slight right kink (Wasn't that called Schikane back in the day?) Had a fun time trying to get a squirrely car through here under full power - shame the other (Right handed) corners are point n' squirt affairs.

I do like the dirty feel to the track (The tractor mud on the right side of the back straight is a nice touch prior to the brake zone to Bosch... I mean Gosser kurve.) New patches of asphalt and repainted cheat-crete painted mushy pea green.

So a great job by PD but the actual track is awkward and tough to love, But a dirty weekend...

Track is very welcome and it looks fantastic but it just doesn't have a flow to it, just straights with very awkward corners.
New track is awesome though whatever, cheers PD

Loving watching the F1 drivers really struggle with the
last 2 turns like most of us have been doing in online races. Nice to take a little comfort from this!

Did anyone try the Formula GT? I only did 2 or 3 laps and i was in 1.12.xx range on stock setup with RH tires.

1.15.9 in the Senna Lotus. Full downforce, shortened gearing, lowered a bit. Using a G27 with h-shifter & clutch. Fun, but frustrating when the $&@$? thing doesn't go into gear!!!

Really enjoying being back at this circuit. Looks beautiful and is deceptively challenging. It looks easy, and you do take liberties at first, but then it bites back and you trickle around with your tail between your legs.

I'm loving racing on this track in online stock car lobbies. Lots of action & overtaking, awesome little track.

Thanks PD! 👍

Anyone else notice they decided to model dirt on the track coming off the escape round running into turn 3? It was obviously there on the day they scanned it but to leave it on the track permanently seems odd, one rain shower in real life and it's gone.

Back