rFactor

• Thread starter husa
  • 5,397 comments
DK
What are you using as a controller, and what do you mean by "skewed to the left"? Do you mean that your camera is rotated to the left or transformed (without any rotation) to the left?
Hi DK. The camera is stuck looking halfway between ahead and left. I'm using a logitech g920

RP and DK on same forum topic together, memories :lol: :P . Have you recalibrated your controller?
lol indeed. I've set up the wheel in the options, maybe I could try setting up with a pad and then load the wheel

Edit - Problem solved. For some reason rFactor wants a controller plumbed in alongside my wheel. Weird

Thanks you two 👍

Last edited:
I haven't played rFactor recently, but since getting into GTR2, my interests in rFactor have now turned to skinning vehicles. Haven't come up with anything yet or thought of any cars I possibly want to skin, though. I kind of thought of maybe either a few cars from the EnduRacers Endurance Series or the World Endurance Series. Part of me wants to skin either a Corvette C6.R or a Corvette C7.R. Of course, I don't have too much interest in re-creating real paint schemes. Either that, or maybe do some skins for a one-make series.

I have painted quite a few rFactor cars over the last couple of years, including the C7.R - That is not a nice template to make a start on! Saying that though, the majority seem to have "unique traits" that want to get in the way of a great design!

If there's one thing I learned recently, it is how to make transparent textures. A handful of cars in games like GTR2 and rFactor have DDS files that have opacity lowered to allow for transparent effects. A car I have been working on as of last night for GTR2 had some transparency so that the windows didn't look so opaque. At the same time, I learned to make only certain elements transparent. So in the case of windows, most of the other glass is transparent while the windshield banner is not opaque.

Again- I haven't made any skins for any rFactor cars, but it is something I have at least entertained the thought of. And if I did make skins for rFactor cars, it would be my first-ever skinning job for whatever model(s) I paint up.

Yeah, Alpha channels will become your best friend! They are the difference between colouring a car and painting a car... Might not be able to see it too well on my avatar, but the base paint is all matte effect. The light blue is then metallic so they really stand out even more. Finally the logo stickers are all somewhere in between so they look like stickers.

4d3ec75052.JPG

I am getting this infuriating glitch during safety car periods where the game tells me to keep giving away positions. Has this ever happened to anyone else? It's sapping my will to play.

DK
I am getting this infuriating glitch during safety car periods where the game tells me to keep giving away positions. Has this ever happened to anyone else? It's sapping my will to play.

Is it doing it immediately and/or for no reason at all? The game can be really touchy about penalizing you for not keeping up with the car it wants you to follow(or for unknowingly being ahead of it). Can be a real pain if the car you need to follow starts half a lap ahead of you. Safety cars in general seem to have a lot of problems in rFactor. It usually does work(if the SC can at least drive around the track) but sometimes gives me an impossible demand to catch up too much too fast. I have seen it get really confused about who belongs where, but I'm not sure what causes that and whether it is tied to a specific track or not.

Is it doing it immediately and/or for no reason at all? The game can be really touchy about penalizing you for not keeping up with the car it wants you to follow(or for unknowingly being ahead of it). Can be a real pain if the car you need to follow starts half a lap ahead of you. Safety cars in general seem to have a lot of problems in rFactor. It usually does work(if the SC can at least drive around the track) but sometimes gives me an impossible demand to catch up too much too fast. I have seen it get really confused about who belongs where, but I'm not sure what causes that and whether it is tied to a specific track or not.
It doesn't happen immediately upon the safety car being brought out, it just happens seemingly randomly regardless of how close I am to the next car. :grumpy:

Well, that is tricky. I've only very rarely encountered anything like that except when something else goes really crazy like a big AI pileup while following the safety car or sometimes when cars pit under SC, so I've not ever found a real solution to offer you. Most of the problems I have had with the safety car I'm not sure how to fix except when it doesn't spawn in a good spot you can re-set that in the AIW editor.

If it was caused by something like the Safety Car not being able to get to the track it would be obvious because the "SC" wouldn't be moving around the track-map right and the other cars would all be driving about 2 miles per hour. I suppose it could have something to do with the field being frozen when the safety car comes out, but I think it tells you in-game if that option is enabled and you'd obviously know if you had been passing cars. It shouldn't just suddenly and randomly decide to move you backwards for no reason.

When I have come across a track where problems keep happening my only "fix" is to just disable the Safety Car by adding "SafetyCarRoadMult = 5.00" (or OvalMult for ovals) to the rules section of the track's .GDB file. That way it should never consider the track blocked enough to bring out the SC. I've never had one come out with that set at 3.00, but when I've seen an official description it stated that you will probably never get a SC at 5 or above. You can probably put the line in a lot of places but I always put it with the other rules such as session times and default race length. I do this for some really long tracks like the Nordschleife as well because you never really need a Safety Car there and it generally ruins the race if it does come out.

You can also add that same line to the DefaultScoring section of an .RFM file to disable it for an entire car/series mod. I know it's not a true solution but at least it prevents a Safety Car from completely ruining a race(I do know that feeling all too well), while you can still keep flags and penalties for everything else enabled.

Apologies if you already know how to do that. If you don't, the .RFM files are found in rFactor's "rFM" folder - named like "NameOfMod.rfm", and the .GDB files will be in "GameData\Locations\TrackName\TrackLayoutName." They're text files you can open in notepad or any text editor. Just make sure to make a backup of any files you change in case you do something wrong, and do it while rFactor is not running to be sure it will actually let you change them. For the most part, things that you put in the track-specific .GDB files will override settings made in a .RFM file.

Sorry I can't offer more help, maybe somebody else has had more experience with similar problems. Having the Safety Car is nice when it works, but it does have a lot of infuriating problems and most of them seem to be internal issues that you don't have much control over.

Last edited:
Tonight, I practiced trying to make a standalone car for rFactor. Mission accomplished!

The goal was to make a simple car and do all the different specifying and stuff. What I did was make a car for the game but make it free. So what I did was use the Panoz mod for rFactor and make a Panoz GTS car. I did nothing special design-wise. All I did was simply paint the template from its white base to a blue color. After that, I saved it to DDS and specified everything in the car's VEH file. I studied over VEH files to learn how to set certain parameters for my sample car. Most important (to me) was in setting the base price to zero. I didn't want to sort of cheat my experience or anything playing rFactor. Regardless, it was fun to make and set up a car in rFactor.

Even though I didn't do one at the time of this post, I became curious as to how to make alternate skins for cars. One of the advantages of rFactor aside from GTR2 is that you can pick your car and select a skin for it to run alternative paint schemes. This allows you to race the same car but under a different livery. For example, imagine racing one car with a primary Red Bull paint scheme, but then choose to race one event in either a special variation of the Red Bull colors or under some entirely different sponsor livery. I don't recall too many mods having this multi-livery feature. Only mod I remember that had different liveries for cars was the Formula Nippon 2006-2008 mod. Also, I don't think AI drivers can run under alternate liveries.

Again... I haven't tried to make alternate liveries, but I think I have a good idea of how to incorporate them if indeed I do want to make alternate liveries for cars. I now know how to make skins for rFactor. Maybe you'll see some skins of mine for rFactor in the future in addition to my GTR2 skins? We'll see...

I recently created my first true rFactor skin. Also, I managed to successfully take one car and feature an alternate skin for it. Here is what I eventually came up with:

PizzaHutPanoz_zpsqoprq8sg.png

(more of my digital art and skins)

I took my sample car from the Panoz mod for rFactor and made my own skin for it. This time, I took the time to actually study each individual piece to be painted. I loaded rFactor to see if my skin would show up. And for a mostly simple design, it came out fairly well. Only changes I really made were moving up the front design closer to the Panoz badge and also remembering to color certain pieces that made up the rear wing. I haven't figured out how to use Alpha Channels or how to set them up, so the car is rather shiny. I'm not too bothered about this to be honest. The blue alternate skin I made was put in a separate folder within the folder for my car. You basically take the name of the DDS and VEH file you use and make a folder for it. When naming the folder, be sure to have "Skins" in its name. So as an example, a file set with the name "Filename" should have a folder called FilenameSkins" along with a [Filename] DDS file. Something I read online is how you can specify liveries to be run for certain rounds of championships. Not that I have championships in mind, but I imagine you'd have to have the proper track and the specific livery to set those up properly.

Anyhow, I'm pleased to learn how to make a standalone car as well as make my first proper rFactor skin for any mod. This will perhaps encourage me to make more skins for more mods. Once I learn how various templates are set up, I can then go ahead and try to make more skins. Other than this, it is a new experience for me to be fond of making skins. I haven't been this active in this department since privately making skins for "NASCAR Racing" and "NASCAR Racing 1999 Edition" in the past.

Nice initiation @JohnBM01! You'll find that a lot of mods vary in how the car files are arranged and name etc. but you now have the general idea of how to go about making a livery. The alpha channel is something that not all cars utilise anyway, but you can find that out quickly after starting a design. If you pick a car that uses it however, it is the difference between adding colour to a car and painting a car. You can make all the logos look like stickers and think about matte and chrome finishes. There are plenty of tutorials available when you feel ready to experiment with it, or of course ask someone here :)

Recently, I might retire the EnduRacers mod I have for rFactor. Some of my reasoning was mostly since I've had a little trouble with some of the cars. This especially included some of the P1 machines. Like, I'd get errors about certain headlights or something missing, and this ends up with the temporary rFactor car loading instead of one of EnduRacers' beautiful models.

I have the EnduRacers SP 3 mod and the World Endurance Series mod for my sportscar racing fix in rFactor. I kind of been using the WES mod more than the EnduRacers mod. Only complaint is that the cars in the WES mod tend to spin out a bit more easily than the EnduRacers machines. Like you can only depress the throttle so much coming out of corners or recovering from a spin. Both mods offer a great amount of cars for sportscar racing fans. I even remember long ago using the Series International du Mans cars, and I hated how I was unable to use some of the cars, especially something like the Porsche RS Spyder in that mod.

Last night, I downloaded 3DSimEd. I now have an idea of how vehicles and tracks are modeled after loading a few models. Seeing these displays may re-ignite my interest in making 3D models. I at least have an idea of how to model vehicles or tracks for rFactor.

Finally for this post, some of you know I've had skinning interests lately. While Photoshop Elements doesn't have Alpha Channels, it does have Selection Saves- kind of the same thing. The reason why I looked up Alpha Channels was in trying to make certain parts of the car not as shiny as some other parts. One skin maker I saw had some kind of metallic paintscheme with one car. Like you could see bits of sparkling metallic in the livery. I surely want to try to learn how to set up interesting graphical touches. Besides this, I thought of making a skin pack somewhat inspired by some kind of '90s trip I went on last night. Most of this '90s trip was about certain technologies and software then- like the days when AOL used to be America Online. I may make some novelty set of skins for cars. I'm just undecided on either I should use cars from the '90s in this case or some modern cars with '90s influence.

That ends my rFactor musings. Thanks for reading.

Even though I didn't do one at the time of this post, I became curious as to how to make alternate skins for cars. One of the advantages of rFactor aside from GTR2 is that you can pick your car and select a skin for it to run alternative paint schemes.

You can do the same thing in GTR2, you just drop the car's alternative .dds file in the track you want it to load up in and itll load the alternate instead of the default.

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the advice. I think it seems more efficient for rFactor since you can change liveries from the Vehicle menu and not have to pick a specific race. So if you run a normal Mobil 1 car and then an alternate GTPlanet car, you can use the alternate in rFactor for whatever even or events rather than have an alternate for a specific track. I don't know... I kind of like it better for rFactor, but I can understand the GTR2 method. Then too, that's like in NASCAR when you see different paintschemes at tracks like Daytona and Darlington.

Anyhow, I'll take that advice and apply it to GTR2. Thanks, Silver-Sylph.

Generally, I add an entirely new team for each livery. That probably isn't the best way though and is only because I use rFactor itself to see my liveries. I have a wheel etc but I prefer racing games on the PS4.

I am going to take skinning a bit more seriously. Within me is someone wanting to make more skins for rFactor mods. The initial intent was to make mods to make videos with. But these days, I almost feel like coming up with skin packs and certain unique skins. So while I still enjoy racing in rFactor, I feel trying to design skins. Use the finest mods and some of the best mods; but when you want some unique skins for vehicle mods, can my designs intrigue you like some others would? As I am learning more techniques, I will be sure to apply my work to various platforms through 3DSimEd previews.

Again... I'll share my work in a lot of places- here on GTPlanet, my creative works blog, and my Weebly site. This is for rFactor and GTR2.

One thing I figured out is that toning down the opacity of a vehicle skin reduces its glossy look. So that's why a lot of the DDS files for rFactor have lowered opacity. The only downside is that if you're trying to learn how a skin is set up for a car, you'll have a tough time trying to see the different elements of the skin to understand how to design your own models. That's why I usually like saving certain DDS files to PNG format just to study how each file is made and what I can do with editing a PSD file to make my skins. To test trying to make skins, I took a PNG file and reduced the opacity to about 50 in Paint.NET. What this did in rFactor was significantly reduce the glossy nature of the car skin. I could choose to make certain elements of the skin non-transparent so I could make some elements actually glossy. I still use a two-program workflow of Photoshop and Paint.NET. I prefer this because there were some times when Paint.NET was sluggish in loading some PSD files. So I make sure to do all of my editing and then export to PNG. Then in Paint.NET, reduce the opacity by a considerable margin before exporting to DDS (usually 50). I would then just add a layer to put on some elements to be ultra glossy if I so choose.

Other than that, I may spend more time doing skins in rFactor now that I have a bit more confidence in deciding what designs I want to use and how to use them. As of now, I made a skin for the NAGT mod and may later decide to make a little One-Make series with one of the cars.

[UPDATE] I found out how to reduce opacity of the image through Photoshop recently. So I can adjust individual layers, leaving only the ones I may want to not be so glossy before exporting to PNG. I will surely use these methods so cars don't end up too glossy. Or at least, the elements I don't want to be so glossy.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread and when I search I can't find anything, but whenever I try to run the demo it doesn't even start, no message or anything. Anyone help?

I found a 1991 league edition mod and installed it today...and now I've broke the game. It crashes whenever I try to load ANY track and it's a load of bollocks.

If it's on steam, do a file integrity check. Then load the mod to your desktop and see what files you put in your game and delete them. I had a mod that was so bad that the game wouldn't even start.

I've tried a file integrity check and it doesn't even get past 0%. How long should I expect to wait for it to finish? I've got dozens of mods, but the game only started crashing when I installed this latest mod.

EDIT: I overwrote the old Terrain.tdf file when I installed that mod, I've since found a working copy and now the game is working again.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back