rFactor

• Thread starter husa
  • 5,397 comments
Well, here's hoping it's playable with a controller haha.

It's best played with a wheel, but I spent my first year playing rFactor with a keyboard (with TCS, ABS, ASC and auto shift enabled lol) and it's more fun than Gran Turismo with a wheel 👍

Having said that, the newer sims like AC are much easier to setup using a controller.

Well, here's hoping it's playable with a controller haha.
I just crank the speed sensitivity way up. Helps a little, especially with low-grip mods like Blancpain Endurance Series or the older versions of Enduracers (shudders intensely). Don't be too proud to not use Traction Control in cases like those.

Well after some confusion on why I couldn't control my car (apparently "beginner" means auto steering, braking and throttle lol) I found out my controller is broken (stick won't center, I'm either going left or right) so I'm using steering assist "low" until the Xbone is free.

Bought it on steam for $28 and ready to download absolutely everything.

You might want to get a refund on that while you still can, because you can get the Steam version as part of a bundle for a couple of dollars over at Bundle Stars. They're totally legit, I've bought several games from them in the past and they have a good reputation in the community.
Eh, I'm happy with the price I paid, got the historic GT track pack and got around 200 tracks... Never knew Edmonton hosted CanAm before.

Phillips Island, Kyalami, Targa Tasmania, Knockhill, etc

The only problem I'm having is so far 3/3 cars I downloaded (Eleanor, P1, Alfa Montreal) have failed to load. MAS file issues.

I am learning and practicing making 3D models. At one point, I thought about what it would take to make a vehicle mod for rFactor. I am not ready for this for two reasons: (1) I am still vastly inexperienced at 3D modeling, and (2) making such mods for rFactor require a level of experience and detail that I just don't have at this moment. There are no plans for me to try to re-create a certain series or make a certain track. This has just been something I was thinking about while I was trying to build up my skills making models.

When I learned recently how to UV map models and then practicing re-designing the created textures, I began thinking about things like making skins and how exactly to texture models. One thing I noted was how there were no tire textures or wheel textures with vehicle mods. I am not sure if the tires and wheels are specifically defined in separate files or whatever. I am also unsure of where I could actually be able to edit the tire and wheel designs. For reference, NR2003 has the wheel designs for cars as part of the file containing the textures. I'm sure there is a file that defines the wheel placement of the cars for when the car is compiled in code. Besides trying to texture models, I am pretty much aware most texture maps for vehicle mods are 1024x1024 in dimensions. A few, like the BMW Sauber F1 cars are 2048x2048 in dimensions.

The factors outside of texturing for vehicle mods lie in trying to set up things like a collision model. My best guess is that I would need to model a vehicle into separate pieces in case I or somebody else want to wreck the machine into bits and pieces. That also is something I am not as adept to yet, though it is obviously a big part of almost any vehicle mod in rFactor.

These are just things I have been thinking about in case I think about designing a vehicle mod for rFactor. Anyone have any suggestions on making vehicle mods in case I or anybody else want to make material for this fine game?

So, I tried to start this up for the first time in a long time and now I get this:

rFactor Error Screen.png

Update: Finally, I no longer have that dreaded message :D I did some messing around with a backup file and it did the trick. However, now I get this message:

Error 3.png

If its not one thing, its another :indiff:

Never seen that one either. Is it on steam? If so, do a file integrity check. If not on steam, I don't have a clue, sorry. Maybe ask on nogrip site.

PSRL WEC 2014 - Le Mans Day & Night Comparison

12 Hours of Le Mans | PSRL WEC 2014 | Balazs Toldi OnBoard | Night runs

12 Hours of Le Mans | PSRL WEC 2014 | Balazs Toldi OnBoard | Daylight runs

On the modding front, I am considering getting 3DSimEd. I have been reading a number of tutorials on modeling and programming different things. 3DSimEd helps in programming everything. I know you can get 3DSimEd as a free trial and then go and buy the program if you want to use it further. However, I haven't yet done that, and I don't have any models created for practice.

My biggest deficiency is basically in trying to learn HOW to model and how to actually put things together. I've seen things ranging from knowing how to segment models to what materials to name for them. I've seen things like breaking up parts of a track into separate objects for easy editing. All in all, it is quite daunting. I am not expecting to build an incredibly fabulous course if I do eventually make one. You start small before you go big. While I have had visions of making cars, I may instead stay with tracks. And also, I sometimes don't know if I want to model for just rFactor (and GTR2) or for other games. I'm sure any track model can be used for any number of games as long as you configure everything properly.

I also am considering joining the car painting ranks. Don't ask me to paint any special cars for you or anything, but I plan on using my creativity in a number of different ways. Something I usually struggle with is what to design for what car for whatever vehicle mod. For example, I am thinking of creating my own paintscheme for cars in the EnduRacers Endurance Series or the World Endurance Series mods. I'll let you know in some capacity when I come up with something cool.

Okay peeps, I have a simple question with a potentially not-so-simple answer: what is the correct steering rotation and steering lock for the ISI BMW Sauber F1?

The reason I'm asking, is because of conflicting answers on the internet + comparing to other sims + based on the feeling when I'm driving.

For those who don't know, the formula is as follows:
Steering ratio (SR) = degree rotation / (steering lock * 2)

Now, some terminology:
Steering ratio - is fixed for the car
Degree rotation - is the rotation of the physical wheel in your hands (NOT the on screen wheel, as that can be inaccurate in older sims)
Steering lock - is the changeable value in the tuning screen (for those wondering why it's multiplied x2, it's because the number refers to the degree your car's tires turn one way. So total lock-to-lock left to right is x2)

Other sims use values below:
EA F1 Challenge 99-02: 270 degrees, 23 lock = SR 6 (note: 23 lock is the highest it can go, and consensus on the internet is 270 deg is best (also feels best to me). Keep in mind though that this is an old game and 900 degree wheels weren't exactly common back then)
Game Stock Car/Automobilista: 360 degrees, 18 lock = SR 10 (note: recommended settings by the developers. Feels spot on to me)
Live For Speed: 400 degrees, 16 lock = SR 12.5 (note: degrees is fixed, lock is maximum the game allows. Feels ok, but could use more rotation in tight corners)

Assetto Corsa I think has 360 degree for the Lotus Exos F1 look alike (steering lock not provided). PCARS also has 360 degree for Formula A I think (I don't have PCARS so someone can check).

The gold standard, of course, is real life. In Monaco hairpin when you would see the highest steering rotation all season I've seen drivers crank 180-200 degree one way (meaning 360-400 degree lock-to-lock). Don't know about steering lock, but I assume it changes track to track. But there still should be a ballpark figure for the overall steering ratio. My research gives numbers around 10-12, which agrees with GSC/AMS/LFS.

Now rFactor is the confusing one. Using GSC/AMS/real life or LFS values, I can never get the BMW Sauber to handle right. It just doesn't turn in enough. Now today I decided to give the EA F1 Challenge numbers a try and voila! It handles perfectly. The amount of input makes sense and it feels natural. This is crazy because as you can see above the steering ratio for F1 Challenge is way off the other two.

My theory was, the steering lock for F1 Challenge refers to full lock-to-lock and not just one way. So when applying the formula you don't need to multiply by 2. Which gives steering ratio of...12. Perfect slap bang in the correct range.

Now, the problem is, rFactor's number is definitely NOT full lock-to-lock. Because for any other car in the game the numbers are for half a lock (the correct notation). So I'm confused why this number works so well :boggled: Either the Sauber F1 in rFactor is modelled wrongly, or GSC/AMS/LFS got it wrong. Which is unlikely because their numbers are more like real life. My brain is starting to melt at this point :banghead:

TL;DR

1) What is the correct steering rotation, steering lock and steering ratio for REAL F1 cars?

2) Is the vanilla BMW Sauber in rFactor known to have a wrongly modelled steering rack?

3) Basically, I want to use the most realistic setting. But using realistic setting in rFactor doesn't work well. This is the crux of the problem. I would just use 270/23 and not think too much, but my brain is telling me it's wrong :irked: Damn my OCD :lol:

I hope some of GTPs more intellectual members can enlighten me 👍

Last edited:
Most formula cars are more 360-400 lock-to-lock. I can't remember if there's an adjustment to the car in the upgrades section on the menu, but there should also be a steering adjustment in the garage settings.

TBH, even using an appropriate lock setting for open wheel cars, the rFactor default open wheel cars always felt lazy to me in regards to turning with a wheel.

Most formula cars are more 360-400 lock-to-lock. I can't remember if there's an adjustment to the car in the upgrades section on the menu, but there should also be a steering adjustment in the garage settings.

TBH, even using an appropriate lock setting for open wheel cars, the rFactor default open wheel cars always felt lazy to me in regards to turning with a wheel.

There are no upgrades to the BMW Sauber. It just lists upgrade packs for each race of the season, but it doesn't actually change much it seems. The steering adjustment in the garage is the Steering Lock I mentioned.

The default fictional cars have always felt pretty bad to me. But the BMW Sauber since it's officially licensed I thought it would be better. As I explained above with proper rotation + lock it feels too lazy. Only with 270 degree + 23 lock it feels reasonable, but this gives unrealistic steering ratio of 6.

After taking a day off and playing with a fresh mind, it seems my original assessment was wrong. 360/18 or 400/16 actually felt pretty good. 270/23 is too twitchy now. You can take hairpins easier with 270/23, but after figuring out how to grip the wheel I can take it with higher rotations no problem. Also, I tried going max lock (30) with 900 degree, just for kicks. Surprisingly quite drivable in high speed corners. Chicanes and hairpins are a problem though.

Also the stock setup for the BMW is quite bad. I stiffened the springs, dialled the camber and added -0.35 front toe and it's much better.

The BMW also seems a lot better using stock rFactor FFB than RealFeel. Less center deadzone and less rattly. You lose the raw feedback but you can place the car a lot more accurately because the wheel isn't jumping out of your hands all the time. I just read a way to add RealFeel to cars that don't have it. I'll give it a try and see if it improves RealFeel feedback 👍

2 laps in the night of my stint in virtual version of 24h Le Mans, first with TV camera, second on cockpit view. Notice that fidelty is not 100% because recording is taken from server replay, post-race.

This might sound dumb, but is there any way to get the game to not give me a penalty for overtaking between the full course yellow ending and the start of the next lap? :grumpy:

Hi all :) my driving cameras have gone all to cock. they're permanently skewed to the left. Swingman is ok but I don't want to use it

I've tried assigning buttons to cam-left, cam-right etc but to no avail. Tried an uninstall-reinstall but Steam just gave me back what I already had as far as settings go. The problems applies to all cars and tracks

any ideas, anyone?

Thank you 👍

Hi all :) my driving cameras have gone all to cock. they're permanently skewed to the left. Swingman is ok but I don't want to use it

I've tried assigning buttons to cam-left, cam-right etc but to no avail. Tried an uninstall-reinstall but Steam just gave me back what I already had as far as settings go. The problems applies to all cars and tracks

any ideas, anyone?

Thank you 👍
What are you using as a controller, and what do you mean by "skewed to the left"? Do you mean that your camera is rotated to the left or transformed (without any rotation) to the left?

Back