rFactor

• Thread starter husa
  • 5,397 comments
There's a slight problem though - the cameras are all messed up. The roof/airbox cam (which I almost always use) is pointed straight at the hood/nosecone, and I can't see more than a car length or two ahead, and the Swingman camera is zoomed right into the back, such that the car takes up the entire width of the screen. :grumpy:

I'm not sure how it might function with steam, but this is why I always go the the trouble of installing or unpacking everything to a temporary/dummy directory and then copy things to the actual rF folders manually. It can be annoying sometimes but solves a lot of problems. Sometimes you'll get errors like these, or sometimes mods will just want to overwrite files that you have customized yourself with un-needed old versions of the original files that they haven't even changed.

Although it creates its own minor problem when people feel the need to use auto-installation programs to distribute their mods. I wind up with "programs" registered in windows that I'll never be able to "uninstall" because the uninstaller programs will all be looking in my rfactor temp directory, where there are no files. I wish they'd just give the option to get a ZIP or RAR of the files, none of them I've ever come across have had any reason to be "installed."

Joy of joys, that crappy mod also overwrote my rFactor .exe. Since installing it, the window often freezes and will say (Not Responding) in the title bar, which never happened beforehand. :mad:

I guess this has been a painful lesson in manually unpacking and moving new mods. :(

Same here. Sounds more like some sort of technical issue and perhaps things got corrupted when it crashed. I've seen a few mods that have problems but usually it's things like bad paths to files, wrong filenames or other relatively simple stuff. Then again, there's plenty out there I've never tried.

I'm not an expert by any means so if I had that serious a problem I'd probably do a re-install and copy all my extra stuff to the new directory. Or since I'm me I'd probably copy it all, and then remove-reinstall the program to the same place and copy everything back lol.

At the moment I'm trying to cobble together a F1 1990 mod using a 1989 season mod converted from F1C, because SRM's mod crashes within about 30 seconds of me driving out of the pit garage. How do I stop AI cars from bouncing around so much when they collide? This becomes a massive problem on street circuits, I had 18 retirements in the first 10 laps of a half-length Monaco GP. For comparison's sake, F1SR's 1992 LE mod doesn't have anywhere near these sort of problems.

Today is special to me, because today in 2006, I bought rFactor. Even today, I still enjoy the experience and appeal rFactor have to provide. I still say this game wouldn't have been possible had it not been for Sports Car GT. People modded SCGT to a great extent until rFactor was developed proper. It still offers the most complete racing experience even if it is completely aging by many people's standards. I still am playing rFactor even as most people have sort of moved on to Assetto Corsa. I kind of want to play AC, but I am not sure if my PC can take it.

Anyhow- ten years of me playing, finding mods for, and enjoying rFactor as of today. Still enjoy to this day. rFactor 2 just didn't do it for me. All hail this baby from the great folks from Image Space Incorporated.

On Twitch, the most of what I've been seeing with rFactor was various series by the RacingHeart channel such as the J-Speed GT Masters Championship and the IMAS United Endurance Championship. All of this semi-inspiring me to come up with my own sort of fan fiction series. I actually wanted to make something based on the Panoz GTS from the collection of Panoz mods from ISI. Mini inspiration to watch Twitch streams of rFactor was I remember once seeing some series similar to the FIA World Endurance Championship. However, I think it was the WSC series that I was thinking of.

I am thinking of making my own mini series using the Prototype Challenge and GT Challenge cars of the EnduRacers mod. This comes as I was thinking about an iRacing Twitch stream when I saw the Nissan GTP-ZX Turbo and Audi 90 GTO race on the same track (Mosport) in a kind of vintage sportscar race. I actually thought of having just the Prototype Challenge cars in their own race, but I wanted to imagine a real Challenge series.

My imagination always runs wild and always is childish in ambition. Surely if I come up with something cool, I'll share it with you all either here on GTPlanet or in my blogs.

Go for it, at the moment I'm doing a F1 "career mode" which started in 1988 with AGS. Notable results include Gabriele Tarquini winning the 1990 US Grand Prix while filling in for an injured Alex Caffi at Dallara. :lol:

Would anyone be interested in a short championship on Gran Turismo original tracks with GT-ONE? If so, please check this out...pretty please? :indiff: I only got one supporter so far.

Would anyone be interested in a short championship on Gran Turismo original tracks with GT-ONE? If so, please check this out...pretty please? :indiff: I only got one supporter so far.

I quite like the idea but I'm not much into online racing. Also I barely have time these days to play because of work and such so I'm not even sure if I will be able to meet your commitments.

I think including all of the available tracks would make it much more interesting though. They might not be 100% accurate but having a championship with only 3 tracks isn't going to be very interesting (or long lol). Fun fact is, all tracks that were in GT1 are already in rFactor except for Test Course and SSR11.

GVS, TM, AR - these were the most accurate ones as you said.
Midfield - actually I don't find it bad. Surrounding environment is sparse but I quite like the "old" feeling.
Deep Forest - layout is accurate but the track is so narrow. Feels like a touge track. Interesting to drive, not great for racing.
SSR5 - again I don't find it bad. Layout is accurate and there's some buildings here and there. Quite a different feel in daytime but I like the change.
HSR - I like the GT1 version too compared to the wider version in later games, but this is pretty accurate as well taken from GT4.
RRV - I only found the WIP version, let's hope the creator finishes this one quickly!

Of all the GT1 tracks available, SSR11 just had to be the one missing. :grumpy:

I think including all of the available tracks would make it much more interesting though. They might not be 100% accurate but having a championship with only 3 tracks isn't going to be very interesting (or long lol)
Well I've learned people won't stay commited to a long series...so if it only lasts for 3-5 rounds the attendance is at its highest and keeps things interesting. But I might add HSR into the calendar anyway, but I don't think any of the other tracks are good...oh, and Laguna Seca as the final round, that'd make 5 rounds already.

I've downloaded some GT tracks and I really like them.
Have you guys ever found any Forza tracks for rFactor? I'd love to have Maple Valley & Camino Viejo for rFactor but I could never find them.

I tried making a skin for the Audi R8 LMS in the Blancpain Endurance Series 2012 mod for rFactor. I made a skin to serve as a baseline for my car. I am probably not as adept with sim racing games as I would like to be, but the tire model for that mod is horrendous. The model makes you want to not use up your tires so much early on. Because when you push them too far, you can't even drive the car in a straight line! Then when I switch to the AI driver, it drives the car like it's nothing. Then when I turn off the AI driver, the car goes back to the horrible driving model from me using up the tires too quickly.

On a different note, I wanted to try to make some skins for the World Endurance Series mod and maybe even the EnduRacers mod. I have NEVER made a skin for a prototype or a formula car that I can remember. I almost planned on making a makeshift sportscar racing series using one of the Zytek prototype and either the Porsche 991 RSR or the BMW Z4 GT. The simplest template packages to edit are the ones I feel most confident making skins for. Some are overly complex, and so I don't become as confident in making something if I tried.

I still generally enjoy rFactor even over 10 years and a few months playing it.

I never really cared about any proper Formula 1-type games or mods, but I am kind of looking at the old Formula Armaroli mod to be the F1-style mod to serve as my Formula 1 style mod. I was torn between either trying to make my own Formula IS cars or picking up the Armaroli mod and think about designing skins for that mod. Maybe what I like most is that I saw some videos yesterday of turbo F1 cars. And man- SWEET engine music! Great sounding machines compared to today's machines.

Again- I am not seeking any proper F1 mod, but more like F1-style cars. So I am looking at my options for both rFactor and GTR2.

The Armaroli car is awesome, and I think you will be able to find a proper template for it somewhere too.

When you really get into it, you'll find you can download an F1 mod and then take 1 car from it to form a single car mod of your own. This means you can pick the Formula 1 car from all of those available, but you almost certainly won't be able to find a design template. I've painted a skin without the layered template before so it can be done, just takes longer obviously and much more trial and error.

Back