RIDE 3

• Thread starter DarthMosco
  • 912 comments
Agreed. I've got the BMW S1000RR in real life and the handling of the BMW in-game is quite close. In real life I normally drive in "sport mode" which has about 30% TC and reduced ABS. If I use Pro in-game with low to medium TC and apply the rear breaks the same as in real life, the braking and lean angle is very similar. Only difference I feel is that it's slightly easier in-game to use the rear brakes to induce oversteer for better corner exit if I compare no TC in-game with the BMW's Race mode in real life.

EDIT Forgot to add that the biggest difference of the game and real life racing [for me] is that the game offers much more grip with just about no aqua planing in rain conditions than in real life.
Which view do you guys use in the game? With the cockpit, helmet views the bike reacts very strangly to gamepad inputs, don't you think?

I turn in too early (and too late) frequently in real life - getting your line right is all part of the appeal of riding a bike, as there's much more to it than just turning a wheel.

If you're naturally talented, or well practiced, you probably don't have to think about it at all. But people often talk about having to recalibrate their turn in points after fitting lightweight wheels (significantly improves agility), so the issue is probably the fact the bike won't turn until it's leaned over enough, and that takes a certain amount of time.

In the game, the lack of precision in the controls (or practice with them) makes this much worse, and it's why it's important to focus on hitting the line first, going fast second. You have to get in tune with the timings of the bike's changes in lean angle (roll rate) before you can subconsciously use it to hit your line perfectly every time. On a real bike, you control the roll rate directly with the steering (grip permitting), but the game controls the steering for you, so you're stuck with the speeds it's tuned to use.

I did notice that very tight corners are disastrous in the new game, the bike just dives in unpredictably at the last second, and it's very easy to cut the corner by accident. I find it easier to run deep past the apex, then turn, especially if there's a wall involved...

There is a lack of coherent feedback in the camera views - the onboard views don't show acceleration and braking very well, which hurts feedback in terms of what you're asking of the tyres in that respect (especially braking). The steering seems to move the camera in a weird way, and I find that large movements (e.g. those at low speeds) are disorienting - my eyes just don't "comprehend" the screen for a moment and it kind of sends me cross-eyed!

I have exactly the same experience with the onboard views - tight corners very difficult. It is possible to see clearly when trying slalom at speeds around 20 or 30 kp... Which camera do you use in the game?

Well, have been playing for three days. The cockpit and helmet view is very very difficult to get used to, it is very unnatural, especially in slow speeds. The outside camera makes me feel the bike more naturally, don't know what is wrong with the helmet view, but you can notice in speeds under 60 kph the game pad input is too sensitive and the bike goes crazy. In MotoGP there is steering help that reduces the odd movements one does with the gamepad and the reaction of the bike is not so jerky. Yes, too jerky in Ride 3, smooth with the ouside view in Ride 3, though.

Can't repro this on my PS4. I really like the helmet cam even under 60 kph. Yes it needs some time to get used to, but played all 3 Ride games using helmet cam, guess it helped me. Ride 3 has by far the best helmet cam, tuck-in on manual really feels good.

Which view do you guys use in the game? With the cockpit, helmet views the bike reacts very strangly to gamepad inputs, don't you think?

Both cockpit cam and chase cam feels "unnatural" to me, so I just stick to chase cam.

Thanks I just need too get faster, got bronze.:D Any one got any settings too help?

Last edited:
Both cockpit cam and chase cam feels "unnatural" to me, so I just stick to chase cam.
At least the chase view make things look flowing, no jerking whatsoverer, whereas the cockpit cams make things jerky. I like the flow wwith the chase camera, which is the same as riding an actual bike. Unfortunately, the GPU or whatever it is or design of the game is not able to make things flowing with the cockpit view.

Is there any difference between riding on dry track and on wet track other than visuals? It seems the bike has no problem dealing with wet even with assists turned off. I get no problem with traction, no sliding in corners, nothing, but the lap times seem a tiny bit slower.

Bought it on Saturday, lots of fun :cheers:

This game has some really cool road tracks. Lake Garda is amazing!!!

Is there a bug with the trophies? I have won lots of night races but haven't unlocked the trophy yet. :guilty:

Is there any difference between riding on dry track and on wet track other than visuals? It seems the bike has no problem dealing with wet even with assists turned off. I get no problem with traction, no sliding in corners, nothing, but the lap times seem a tiny bit slower.

On Pro setting there is a noticeable difference although less than I would have expected. There are also a few wet races where one of the Al's rockets away which will require more than alien speed to catch him.

Some of these tracks are brutal, like Macao at night. Without the racing line enabled, I rewind several dozen times throughout a 3 lap race. Another tough track is (I forget the name) the one where you're riding through residential streets with houses and curbs. And the Snake at night is another one...I am really bad at this game! I just beat the Kawasaki special event, all golds. The first time trial with the GPZ 900 took a long time. I ended up lowering the front ride height all the way and raising the rear all the way, and setting the top speed to just above the fastest I could go on the track. It took all of that and I still just barely beat it! The final TT was easier, maybe because I had gotten better at the track (Donington) but still had to mess with the final drive and suspension pre-load.

I love this game, no doubt, but I have some questions about things I find pretty stupid. Firstly, why do most AI riders wear a clown's outfit? There are tons of different outfits in the virtual store, but almost all of them wear the same clowns stuff. Secondly, why do AI riders make silly movements in turns? I would understand if they were online racers, that happens of course, but AI should ride smoothly and not wobble like that, it doesn't happen in MotoGP, why Ride 3? And thirdly, AI difficulty setting doesn't seem to make any difference... and why doesn't the game contain any user's guide to explain things like "always ask" or red light on the dash that only people here noticed that it is about oil change...

I'm on PC and I was getting really bad stuttering, so I resorted to .ini tweaks (standard Unreal Engine 4, seemingly) to crank the detail down severely and it still stuttered. It turned out to be the game's internal frame rate limiter. Not sure if it's active on console, but it was really breaking my flow as it seemed to mostly be happening in corners (might be related to geometry streaming or grouping / culling etc).

Anyway, playing at 60+ fps (v-sync is also not consistent, so it's off) is for me so much better than at 30 (I can back-to-back it using the in-engine supersampling feature), so I'm glad I went this route.

I have exactly the same experience with the onboard views - tight corners very difficult. It is possible to see clearly when trying slalom at speeds around 20 or 30 kp... Which camera do you use in the game?

I use one of the two helmet views, depending on whether I really want the nicer sound or if I just want to be able to see (the filter on the stylised helmet view is ugly and kills contrast). Low speed manoeuvring is tricky on a bike in the real world, so it's hardly surprising the steering AI struggles in the game. But, as below, it is the view itself that makes it worse I think.

Can't repro this on my PS4. I really like the helmet cam even under 60 kph. Yes it needs some time to get used to, but played all 3 Ride games using helmet cam, guess it helped me. Ride 3 has by far the best helmet cam, tuck-in on manual really feels good.
What about the tight hairpin at Cadwell's Club circuit? That's the only place I've had a problem so far, and you almost come to a stop it's so tight. But the camera, for me, does not feed back the movement resulting from your input very well (or perhaps not very consistently), so I find there's a bit of guesswork involved and this results in "stabbing" at the controls sometimes instead of linearly feeding in the steering, say.

That "stabbing" can result in the bike swinging wildly from side to side as you get stuck in a loop of overcorrection which I can only assume is caused by the weird feedback of the camera view, possibly not helped by the fact I literally lose focus on the track due to the speed of the wobble.

If I force myself to use smooth inputs only, it's definitely better, but braking and accelerating in particular, as well as the bike's angle relative to the handlebars (sliding), are all poorly communicated by the onboard views.

Some of these tracks are brutal, like Macao at night. Without the racing line enabled, I rewind several dozen times throughout a 3 lap race. Another tough track is (I forget the name) the one where you're riding through residential streets with houses and curbs. And the Snake at night is another one...I am really bad at this game! I just beat the Kawasaki special event, all golds. The first time trial with the GPZ 900 took a long time. I ended up lowering the front ride height all the way and raising the rear all the way, and setting the top speed to just above the fastest I could go on the track. It took all of that and I still just barely beat it! The final TT was easier, maybe because I had gotten better at the track (Donington) but still had to mess with the final drive and suspension pre-load.

Having to tweak the settings to even get a bronze was normal for the weekly special events in RIDE 2, sometimes even to the extreme that you've had to resort to - the bikes were provided for you in those events as well. I only very rarely got gold. In that context, you absolutely do need to know the track.

In the other career time trials, it's easier as you can just throw power and slick tyres at the problem in age old fashion, but I still often skip races if I don't know the track, since the AI will wipe the floor with me in the braking zones and I will most likely low-side every other corner...
Then I might learn them via time trial, or just throw a few races away until I figure it out.

So I took a stock CBR 300R to Laguna Seca and checked the leaderboards. Someone managed a 1:42 with it. I wonder how close to real life that is. Too bad I live on the wrong coast and am not a professional racer :'( Randy Pobst drove a Jaguar F-type R around the track in the same time. Little bikes impress the heck out of me.

Today we are onboard on all of the unlocked Honda's.

Motorcycles included in the video;
- NSR 125 R 1992
- CBR300R 2017
- NSR250R 1995
- CRF 450R Supermoto special 2016
- CB1100EX 2017
- CB650 F 2015
- CB900F Hornet 2002
- CBR900RR / Fireblade 1995
- CB1000R ABS 2015
- VTR1000 SP2 2006
- CBR 600RR 2009
- CBR 600RR 2015
- CBR900RR Fireblade 2002
- CBR 1000RR Fireblade 2005
- CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird 1997
- CBR 1000RR Fireblade SP 2015
- CBR 1000RR Fireblade SP 2014
- Team Honda Racing 2017
- Team Honda Endurance Racing 2017

If you like these kind of video's and series.

Feel free to leave your feedback in the comment section.
Also leave a like and subscribe to my channel if you want to keep up to date when new video's are uploaded!

Share this Video!

Grab your beer, diet coke and popcorn we are here, enjoy!

I have just played Moto GP14 on xbox 360. The only MotoGP I have at home. I was so surprised that controlling the bikes with a gamepad is sooo much easier than in Ride 3. Whenever I move the gamepad, the bike moves, instantly. Why is there so much lag in Ride 3. That makes the connection between the gamepad and bike so distant, hence very difficult to control, unlike in real life, where you simply become one with the bike. I know heavy bikes will be difficult to handle in slow, tight corners, but how about the horrible lag between input and the bike reaction? Why doesn't Ride 3 emply the same nice, natural gamepad - bike union that we find in MotoGP 14? So much easier to ride the bikes in MotoGP 14, but it is not stupidly easy, just the way it would be in real life, if you brake too late or don't get the ideal trajectory, you pay for it, but primarily, you are completely in charge of the bike, unlike in Ride 3 where you only have to wait almost a sec before the bike reacts to your input. Really frustrating and unnecessary.

Also in MotoGP 14 the AI riders don't make silly movements in turns. The silly movements are mystery to me, in a game that is a generation ahead from MotoGP 14. If anyone can explain these strange setbacks in Ride 3, I will be endlessly grateful and will understand the game more perhaps.

The problem with the control of Milestone's bike games are simple. instead of controlling the bike you control the rider so that is the built in lag. additionally the bikes over compensate so the flip flop too much in a manner that you don't see in real life. Additionally the helmet cam is the same the contact/pivot point is the rider and not the bike so that's why it sways instead of leans. Tourist Trophy 3rd person view has the same problem. But at least TT's 1st person view is spot on

I've tried but I'm done with this game. Everything that is wrong with Ride 3 and Milestone can be found by racing at Macau. Great idea executed terribly and no one stopping to think geez this is stupid. what makes them think racing in almost complete darkness is fun. Racing at night in a CITY should not be darker then racing through an unlit country road. What is the purpose of lights if they don't light anything up? But this is Milestone. Factor in the cheap stupid AI. Bike that don't handle like bikes and yeah I'll happily go back to playing Tourist Trophy which is still far better than anything Milestone has done. The whole layout of the game is dumb with racing secondary to collecting. The bike models are hit and miss in as far as quality and accurate . They haven't updated the gear in years. Why does something as complex as Lake garda look so good and detailed, and then a track like Imola look like it was pulled from the PS2 with the chicane cones popping up at the last second? The whole game layout is just bad and frustrating if you are interested more in racing and not collecting. Oh fan of the latest R1? You're screwed unless you want to grind through all these BS events. but again this is Milestone and until they get competition (which isn't likely to happen) there is no hope of getting a decent bike game for people more interested in actual racing then collecting. At least Ride doesn't have the silly social media career features of the Supercross/MXGP games. More then anything Ride 3 should have just been a patch to Ride 2 because it's really not much better and in a lot of ways worse

Last edited:
^ Agreed. I bought Ride 1 for around $15 but paid full price for Ride 2 and 3. I think I'm done with the series after this. I can't race in first-person mode because the camera is so bad. Amazingly I've never played Tourist Trophy, but I'm tempted to find a copy on Ebay and fire up the PS2 instead of finishing this game. Macau is absolutely impossible to ride without rewinding to win races.

Why won't PD make a sequel to TT? I don't get it. Just do it, Kaz! You would think he's played one of the Ride games by now. Maybe he likes them and doesn't think he can do better? Who knows...

I've been fairly lucky and have 3 starred every race I've done in career except the Maxitourer TT at Lake Garuda (Masters Vol 8). The best I've done is 2 stars and there is an 8 second difference between 2 and 3 stars. I'm pushing pretty hard and am now where the 2:35 which is required.

I only have 2 bikes to choose from (Ducati Supersport S and the Blackbird XX) one turns great but not real top end the other is the exact opposite.

Anyone know of any other bikes that will unlock for this volume?

The problem with the control of Milestone's bike games are simple. instead of controlling the bike you control the rider so that is the built in lag. additionally the bikes over compensate so the flip flop too much in a manner that you don't see in real life. Additionally the helmet cam is the same the contact/pivot point is the rider and not the bike so that's why it sways instead of leans. Tourist Trophy 3rd person view has the same problem. But at least TT's 1st person view is spot on

I've tried but I'm done with this game. Everything that is wrong with Ride 3 and Milestone can be found by racing at Macau. Great idea executed terribly and no one stopping to think geez this is stupid. what makes them think racing in almost complete darkness is fun. Racing at night in a CITY should not be darker then racing through an unlit country road. What is the purpose of lights if they don't light anything up? But this is Milestone. Factor in the cheap stupid AI. Bike that don't handle like bikes and yeah I'll happily go back to playing Tourist Trophy which is still far better than anything Milestone has done. The whole layout of the game is dumb with racing secondary to collecting. The bike models are hit and miss in as far as quality and accurate . They haven't updated the gear in years. Why does something as complex as Lake garda look so good and detailed, and then a track like Imola look like it was pulled from the PS2 with the chicane cones popping up at the last second? The whole game layout is just bad and frustrating if you are interested more in racing and not collecting. Oh fan of the latest R1? You're screwed unless you want to grind through all these BS events. but again this is Milestone and until they get competition (which isn't likely to happen) there is no hope of getting a decent bike game for people more interested in actual racing then collecting. At least Ride doesn't have the silly social media career features of the Supercross/MXGP games. More then anything Ride 3 should have just been a patch to Ride 2 because it's really not much better and in a lot of ways worse
You seem to understand why cockpit view is so difficult to handle in Ride 3. Could you explain how is it done in MotoGP 14 where you control the bike so easily and naturally? The bike just goes where you point with your gamepad stick. Exiting a corner is peace of cake. Why don't Milestones use the same method in Ride 3? And did they screw this in MotoGP 18?

^ Agreed. I bought Ride 1 for around $15 but paid full price for Ride 2 and 3. I think I'm done with the series after this. I can't race in first-person mode because the camera is so bad. Amazingly I've never played Tourist Trophy, but I'm tempted to find a copy on Ebay and fire up the PS2 instead of finishing this game. Macau is absolutely impossible to ride without rewinding to win races.

Why won't PD make a sequel to TT? I don't get it. Just do it, Kaz! You would think he's played one of the Ride games by now. Maybe he likes them and doesn't think he can do better? Who knows...
Besides Driveclub Bikes and the MXGP games, Tourist Trophy have almost ruined every bike game for me personally.

The tire model in TT is very questionable at times (considering it's using the same engine as GT4, that shouldn't come as a surprise) but controlling your bike and rider is still unmatched to this day in my opinion. I simply feel spoiled by TT in that regard. The RIDE games don't even get close to it.

I always felt Tourist Trophy was utter, complete 🤬 when it came to physics, not fun at all :lol:. It was a pretty game back then, though.

Back