RIDE 3

• Thread starter DarthMosco
  • 912 comments
It is frustrating to play. The Supermoto challenges on the bottom tier raised my blood pressure and I only golded 2 of those events. I think the problem is the camera. It moves around too much (or not enough?) when cornering, mostly at slow speeds. I end up turning far more than I wanted to, and then when I try to straighten out, I end up turning too far in the other direction. See 12:44 in above video. I'm used to Gran Turismo physics/camera. This is taking some serious patience trying to get used to.

Last edited:
Ages 7-15 = Dirtbikes, mostly enduro, from 50cc to 85cc
Ages 18-22 = Streetbikes, naked and sport, up to 100hp
Once when I was 19 = Someone let me ride a 250cc GP bike for club racing (90hp and like 115kg without fuel) on a racetrack.

I can tell you that your motorbike experience is very unrelated to RIDE 3. These bikes ask you to brake stupidly late, you don't lowside unless you've braked wayyy too late, the attack points on the faster bits are "odd" to say the least... It's a cool game but it's nowhere near realistic, it's all over the place. If I'd have to compare it to a car racing game I'd say it's closer to FORZA Motorsport or even Horizon than to GT Sport. I know that level of realism would be unforgiving to the point of being annoying but I gotta admit I still want it.

Forza motorsport is not that unrealistic, though. I can compare driving real cars on the limit to forza on the limit and it seems pretty similar, just in forza you have to learn a different kind of feeling, as you don't feel a real car. I even use some experince from forza in real driving - apex, braking, throttle... I would imagine it is impossible to simulate feeling a bike under your backside with a game pad and screen. If you mean minute details of physics, which Asseto Corsa tries to mimick for example, then forza is probably pretty arcadey. Still the closest to driving an actual car as for feeling the weight of the car and grip.

I'm using joint brakes. As a biker, I'd like to use split brakes, but a controller doesn't give you enough feel to use them effectively (in my opinion of course) Brake earlier than you think for corners, watch your racing line, and gently keep some power on as you go through the bend. You can trail brake in corners, but you need to be gentle, and avoid doing it in the wet at all.

All my own personal preference of course, but I like to have braked early enough to have the bike steady before the corner, and then just apply enough throttle going through it and accelerate out. Not had too many spills so far.

Oh and somebody mentioned about the A.I's names. It's weird as I'm sure it started off with whatever names the devs gave them, but now mine uses real player names as well.....which I wish you could turn off to be honest.

I have a question for you as you are a real biker, unlike me. How do you find the appex in the game as opposed to real life? I think in real life, if you brake too late, you may end up off the road, or at least off the ideal trajectory, as in real life, that is OK with me, but if you turn too early, in the game, you end up on the grass inside the turn. In real life, isn't it almost impossible to turn too early? On bicycle it has never happened to me... I guess it is similar on motorbike. How do you avoid turning too early in the game? It happens to me in MotoGP all the time... not sure if I want to buy Ride 3 if it is too difficult to find the apex.

I have a question for you as you are a real biker, unlike me. How do you find the appex in the game as opposed to real life? I think in real life, if you brake too late, you may end up off the road, or at least off the ideal trajectory, as in real life, that is OK with me, but if you turn too early, in the game, you end up on the grass inside the turn. In real life, isn't it almost impossible to turn too early? On bicycle it has never happened to me... I guess it is similar on motorbike. How do you avoid turning too early in the game? It happens to me in MotoGP all the time... not sure if I want to buy Ride 3 if it is too difficult to find the apex.

If you lean and countersteer too early (which you are effectively doing by pushing the analogue stick to the side) in real life then you would cut the corner.

If you lean and countersteer too early (which you are effectively doing by pushing the analogue stick to the side) in real life then you would cut the corner.
That makes perfect sense, but does it ever happen in real life? Never happened to me driving a car, or watching cars racing, if someone cuts a corner, they do it on purpose or because they had lost control of the car a long time before coming to the corner. Maybe it is different with a powerful motorbike, but I doubt that.

That makes perfect sense, but does it ever happen in real life? Never happened to me driving a car, or watching cars racing, if someone cuts a corner, they do it on purpose or because they had lost control of the car a long time before coming to the corner. Maybe it is different with a powerful motorbike, but I doubt that.

I can't say I've seen it happen during a race, but then again racers spend thousands of hours riding motorcycles so steering the bike to a point of precision is second nature.

I think the main problem is a lack of precision while using a control pad. I mean, think of the distance the analogue stick travels from edge-to-edge and then compare that to the travel distance of a motorcycles handlebars from lock-to-lock.
That's not to mention minute alterations that a motorcycle rider can make to their body position and lean angle to further tighten or expand their racing line, whereas when using a control pad you are limited to just using the analogue stick/d-pad.

I turn in too early (and too late) frequently in real life - getting your line right is all part of the appeal of riding a bike, as there's much more to it than just turning a wheel.

If you're naturally talented, or well practiced, you probably don't have to think about it at all. But people often talk about having to recalibrate their turn in points after fitting lightweight wheels (significantly improves agility), so the issue is probably the fact the bike won't turn until it's leaned over enough, and that takes a certain amount of time.

In the game, the lack of precision in the controls (or practice with them) makes this much worse, and it's why it's important to focus on hitting the line first, going fast second. You have to get in tune with the timings of the bike's changes in lean angle (roll rate) before you can subconsciously use it to hit your line perfectly every time. On a real bike, you control the roll rate directly with the steering (grip permitting), but the game controls the steering for you, so you're stuck with the speeds it's tuned to use.

I did notice that very tight corners are disastrous in the new game, the bike just dives in unpredictably at the last second, and it's very easy to cut the corner by accident. I find it easier to run deep past the apex, then turn, especially if there's a wall involved...

There is a lack of coherent feedback in the camera views - the onboard views don't show acceleration and braking very well, which hurts feedback in terms of what you're asking of the tyres in that respect (especially braking). The steering seems to move the camera in a weird way, and I find that large movements (e.g. those at low speeds) are disorienting - my eyes just don't "comprehend" the screen for a moment and it kind of sends me cross-eyed!

So far I am much quicker using the chase cam because it allows me to get a better sense of things.

Guys, I need some help with deciding whether I'm going to buy it or not. I've played Tourist Trophy on the PS2 and I loved it.
I recommend it -- I shared my overall impression on the last page. :) 👍

I can add that I'm quite impressed with the track list; the road circuits are a good mix of winding hairpins and open straights, and the licensed circuits offer a pretty good spread of tracks for the historic racing bikes to be put to use. I'm also pretty satisfied on the number of older and smaller bikes this time around; I did not play Ride 2 but compared to the first game, this one has more encyclopedic value, like Tourist Trophy.

I turn in too early (and too late) frequently in real life - getting your line right is all part of the appeal of riding a bike, as there's much more to it than just turning a wheel.

If you're naturally talented, or well practiced, you probably don't have to think about it at all. But people often talk about having to recalibrate their turn in points after fitting lightweight wheels (significantly improves agility), so the issue is probably the fact the bike won't turn until it's leaned over enough, and that takes a certain amount of time.

In the game, the lack of precision in the controls (or practice with them) makes this much worse, and it's why it's important to focus on hitting the line first, going fast second. You have to get in tune with the timings of the bike's changes in lean angle (roll rate) before you can subconsciously use it to hit your line perfectly every time. On a real bike, you control the roll rate directly with the steering (grip permitting), but the game controls the steering for you, so you're stuck with the speeds it's tuned to use.

I did notice that very tight corners are disastrous in the new game, the bike just dives in unpredictably at the last second, and it's very easy to cut the corner by accident. I find it easier to run deep past the apex, then turn, especially if there's a wall involved...

There is a lack of coherent feedback in the camera views - the onboard views don't show acceleration and braking very well, which hurts feedback in terms of what you're asking of the tyres in that respect (especially braking). The steering seems to move the camera in a weird way, and I find that large movements (e.g. those at low speeds) are disorienting - my eyes just don't "comprehend" the screen for a moment and it kind of sends me cross-eyed!
Thanks. At least it seems that the game is not a complete nonsense as for physics. I played MotoGP 14. Is turning easier or more realistic in MotoGP series as compared to Ride 3?

Thanks. At least it seems that the game is not a complete nonsense as for physics. I played MotoGP 14. Is turning easier or more realistic in MotoGP series as compared to Ride 3?

MotoGP17 is easier than Ride 3. The helmet cam in Ride 3 I really like, with Tuck-in set to manual. Do note, MotoGP bikes are a different category. No MotoGP bikes in Ride 3, so not really a good thing to compare both games.
I advice to play Ride 3 with all assists off, no odd AI help messing with your riding style 👍

Today we are onboard on all of the unlocked BMW's.

Motorcycles included in the video;
- R nineT 2015
- R 1200 R 2015
- S 1000 XR 2017
- S 1000 R 2016
- Team Tyco BMW Motorrad Racing

If you like these kind of video's and series.

Feel free to leave your feedback in the comment section.
Also leave a like and subscribe to my channel if you want to keep up to date when new video's are uploaded!

Share this Video.

Grab your beer, diet coke and popcorn we are here, enjoy!

Is it really possible to compare a video game to riding a motorbike IRL ?

I own a MT07 and I must say that it handles the same in-game as it does irl.
The feeling of speed in this game is very well done as you can see in my video above!

I like it that you can't just fully press the brake and expect it to not crash.
If I fully press the brakes (without ABS) in real life I will crash for sure.

So far I am much quicker using the chase cam because it allows me to get a better sense of things.

I recommend it -- I shared my overall impression on the last page. :) 👍

I can add that I'm quite impressed with the track list; the road circuits are a good mix of winding hairpins and open straights, and the licensed circuits offer a pretty good spread of tracks for the historic racing bikes to be put to use. I'm also pretty satisfied on the number of older and smaller bikes this time around; I did not play Ride 2 but compared to the first game, this one has more encyclopedic value, like Tourist Trophy.
Thanks for the review, @Wolfe. I'm gonna buy the game on Saturday. :cheers:

'm playing on PRO physics, all aids (beside TCS in this case) off and with manual shifting if that is what you mean?

I'm using Pro physics, all aids off, the gearbox in Ride 2 was slightly different. Now you a speed when you move the slider.

Is it just me or is the AI a little random? I'm not fast in general (goes for both this game and most driving sims) so for now I'm keeping the difficulty setting at the default 55% (easy). I'm still on the lowest tier of events and some races I've won very easily while in others I can't even finish in the top 3.

I had two particularly odd cases tonight - one on a Triumph PP200 naked bike (can't remember the name of the series) where I finished second, well ahead of number three. The odd thing however was that even though I felt like I rode quite well on the second lap and with no opponents around me to battle, the lead driver just kept pulling away and finished a massive ten seconds ahead.
In another series I bought the 2015 Honda CB650F because it looked by the stats to be the fastest in the series. In my first race I ended 12th, although that was the partial Nordschleife race where I definitely didn't run a clean line and overtaking was difficult, so I'll put the blame on myself there. In another race however I once again had issues with AI drivers that on the paper seemed slower, just pulling away and me falling behind even on straights.

I own a MT07 and I must say that it handles the same in-game as it does irl.
The feeling of speed in this game is very well done as you can see in my video above!

I like it that you can't just fully press the brake and expect it to not crash.
If I fully press the brakes (without ABS) in real life I will crash for sure.

Agreed. I've got the BMW S1000RR in real life and the handling of the BMW in-game is quite close. In real life I normally drive in "sport mode" which has about 30% TC and reduced ABS. If I use Pro in-game with low to medium TC and apply the rear breaks the same as in real life, the braking and lean angle is very similar. Only difference I feel is that it's slightly easier in-game to use the rear brakes to induce oversteer for better corner exit if I compare no TC in-game with the BMW's Race mode in real life.

EDIT Forgot to add that the biggest difference of the game and real life racing [for me] is that the game offers much more grip with just about no aqua planing in rain conditions than in real life.

Last edited:
Today we are onboard on all of the unlocked BMW's.

Also leave a like and subscribe to my channel if you want to keep up to date when new video's are uploaded!

Share this Video.

Nice viewing, so I've subscribed and liked. Unfortunately have Ride 3 on XBone so can't "friend" you. I do have PS4 though, but reserve that for GT Sport and the steering wheel.

Look forward to your future videos.

Agreed. I've got the BMW S1000RR in real life and the handling of the BMW in-game is quite close. In real life I normally drive in "sport mode" which has about 30% TC and reduced ABS. If I use Pro in-game with low to medium TC and apply the rear breaks the same as in real life, the braking and lean angle is very similar. Only difference I feel is that it's slightly easier in-game to use the rear brakes to induce oversteer for better corner exit if I compare no TC in-game with the BMW's Race mode in real life.

EDIT Forgot to add that the biggest difference of the game and real life racing [for me] is that the game offers much more grip with just about no aqua planing in rain conditions than in real life.

True!!

Nice viewing, so I've subscribed and liked. Unfortunately have Ride 3 on XBone so can't "friend" you. I do have PS4 though, but reserve that for GT Sport and the steering wheel.

Look forward to your future videos.

Thanks alot for the subscribe, I appreciate that!

Today we are onboard on all of the unlocked Ducati's.

Motorcycles included in the video;
- Scrambler icon 2015
- Monster 900 1993
- Monster 696 2014
- Hypermotard SP 2015
- 748 1998
- 888 SP5 1992
- Monster 1200 S 2014
- 998R 2002
- 848 2008
- 999R 2006
- 899 Panigale 2015
- 1299 Panigale S 2015

If you like these kind of video's and series.

I'm getting frustrated. I just can't win the drag race in Icons 04/17 A Blast From the 80s. I've maxed my Suzuki RG500 to 420, dumbed the game down to 20% difficulty, tried everything I can think of with the gear box, and I just can't beat the AIs. In the last three hours I've managed one second place and about a million third places. I have absolutely no idea what to do at this point.

I'm getting frustrated. I just can't win the drag race in Icons 04/17 A Blast From the 80s. I've maxed my Suzuki RG500 to 420, dumbed the game down to 20% difficulty, tried everything I can think of with the gear box, and I just can't beat the AIs. In the last three hours I've managed one second place and about a million third places. I have absolutely no idea what to do at this point.

I think what I did to beat that was upgrade the wheels, use Supercorsa SC tires and not the full race tires, racing gearbox and quickshifter, and then power upgrades until it hit 420pp.

MotoGP17 is easier than Ride 3. The helmet cam in Ride 3 I really like, with Tuck-in set to manual. Do note, MotoGP bikes are a different category. No MotoGP bikes in Ride 3, so not really a good thing to compare both games.
I advice to play Ride 3 with all assists off, no odd AI help messing with your riding style 👍
Well, have been playing for three days. The cockpit and helmet view is very very difficult to get used to, it is very unnatural, especially in slow speeds. The outside camera makes me feel the bike more naturally, don't know what is wrong with the helmet view, but you can notice in speeds under 60 kph the game pad input is too sensitive and the bike goes crazy. In MotoGP there is steering help that reduces the odd movements one does with the gamepad and the reaction of the bike is not so jerky. Yes, too jerky in Ride 3, smooth with the ouside view in Ride 3, though.

Back