*Rumor* Gran Turismo 7 Prologue headed to PS4?

• Thread starter Zuku
  • 696 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
4K is great and it is cheap now. Next year no reason not to buy 4K tv.
Anyhow, 2 PS4 may be the solution. I Think 4k is possible but perhaps not desirable if they cant get good sound and
viewdistance. Otherwise if they make 4K then imagine photomode and fixing livery in real great detail.

4K is great and it is cheap now. Next year no reason not to buy 4K tv.
Anyhow, 2 PS4 may be the solution. I Think 4k is possible but perhaps not desirable if they cant get good sound and
viewdistance. Otherwise if they make 4K then imagine photomode and fixing livery in real great detail.
Cheap now? What planet do you live on? As for no reason not to, how about complete lack of 4k content or broadcasts?

I hope Polyphony invest the majority of their efforts in producing graphics that only a handful of players will actually ever experience - graphics has always been Gran Turismo's weakest area so I think it only prudent to do so. Wasting time/resources on A-Spec, Online, Livery Editor, Leaderboards, Course maker, Sounds etc is helping no one and certainly won't fix the glaring problems present in GT.

I hope Polyphony invest the majority of their efforts in producing graphics that only a handful of players will actually ever experience - graphics has always been Gran Turismo's weakest area so I think it only prudent to do so. Wasting time/resources on A-Spec, Online, Livery Editor, Leaderboards, Course maker, Sounds etc is helping no one and certainly won't fix the glaring problems present in GT.

was-that-sarcasm.jpg

I like it.

Mid-range PCs can play games in 4K resolution. 4K screens will become similar price to current 1080p screens quite quickly I imagine. I don't think it will be a waste of time as I don't it will require that much work to get it in as an added option at a decent standard if they are target something like 120FPS at 1080p. The in-game assets are of a very high quality.

It is how you use the power that counts, Gran Turismo has historically had an highly efficient game engine regarding graphics. At time of release I think it will be one of the most photorealistic although PS5 and on will go on to do a much better job of achieving it. PC has a lot of power but at the moment I doubt there will be many to make full use of it anytime soon.

bkxu4x.gif

untitled-23eqsd.gif

Something like the above I will be fine with on the PS4.

I'm sure this is what we can expect for the PS4 at the end of its life cycle. We can hope for these visuals n GT7... Hope.

As for no reason not to, how about complete lack of 4k content or broadcasts?
New blu-ray out in 2015 with 300GB, followed by 500GB and 1TB discs. Ready for 4k content.
You can get 4k streams. 4k is broadcast in some countries. HDMI 2.0 out for 4k 60fps.
It's developing and expanding.

New blu-ray out in 2015 with 300GB, followed by 500GB and 1TB discs. Ready for 4k content.
You can get 4k streams. 4k is broadcast in some countries. HDMI 2.0 out for 4k 60fps.

Ready for 4k content, nothing final yet though and that still means you need new hardware. If 4k streams exist they're very rare and 4k broadcasts as far as I know are nothing but the occasional test event so far. There are certainly no broadcasters outputting 4k feeds daily and there won't be for years yet.

It's very limited right now and there is next to nothing for the everyday consumer to be convinced into buy a 4k TV any time soon. A few movies here and there isn't enough.

In my opinion, resolution isn't that important. I've played 720p games and 1080p games and they all look kind of similar. Somethings look sharper but that's about it. (I'm assuming GT6 and 5 have a not constant 60 FPS), I've played 30 FPS games and 60 FPS and to be honest, they both feel quite fluid.

For next gen, they think they should just focus on no bugs and more cars. (At least get a solid 60 FPS). GT6 looks fantastic right now.

Exactly, it's like everyone making a big deal out of Xbox One vs PS4 and the resolution differences. Yes 1080p is better than 720p but it's not the most important thing. In a racing game framerate is so much more important and I'd take a stable, locked framerate over one that's all over the place any day.

1080p/60fps. That's all PD should be aiming for, it's perfectly reasonable given the hardware and it's certainly 'enough'. More time needs to be focused on the rest of the game.

You need to be a complete inbred idiot to buy GT7 prologue. It will just be another half as**ed attempt and a complete money grab. If they give it as a free DL to all the people that purchased GT5 and GT6 i might play it. I have a funny feeling it will be no different. Might have a couple new gtrs...lol. When they actually get their physics model figured out i will buy it. Sick of spending a month tuning a specific car and then they change tire wear or something and i need to completely retune my car. Waste of time. GT7 WILL BE THE FIRST GRAN TURISMO THAT I HAVENT PREORDERED. Ive played them all since the first day they were released.

PROBABLY BE GT10 BEFORE THEY GET THINGS FIGURED OUT.

They said the same thing about 3D a few years ago too.

4k broadcasts...woohooo!!!!
You're telling me that they'll jump straight from 720p/1080i to 4k? US isps can't even deliver 1080p consistently or even at all.

Little off: Netflix has said 4k will be delivered.
I can also say that 4k tv 2014 range will start at lower prices so by the end of the year you have 55" 4k for really good price.
4k i wonderfull but i must say the real deal will be when we get Oled and 4k then GT8 will look pretty.

But GT7 can use 4k in all parts but driving. As GT seems more devotes to manufacturors and showing their cars i see potential as photomode, cardealers, museum, GT TV and so on to be 4k. If they can manage 1080p 3d and dualplay then 4k can do good there too. Next year 4k tvs will be standard, almost as 3d, you get it even if you dont want it.

Mulling things over in the "something awesome" thread, I wouldn't be surprised if a Prologue is coming to PS4. And heck yeahs I'd buy it! A taste of an unfettered Gran Turismo game on a console as good as many gaming PCs?? Sign me up!

Anecdotal stories, there are more that say 4k is amazing on tablet sized screen and very different to 1080p.

I have seen 4K on everything from 20 inches on down to 4 inch phone screens, I have been in the industry for over 20 years and I can't tell the difference on small screens from 4K - 720. Here are some more anecdotal stories for you, straight from Broadcast Engineering:

"There's a lot of discussion about 4K--also known in the broadcast and consumer electronics worlds as UHDTV--production and whether it is practical for broadcasters to distribute 4K signals--it requires four times the bandwidth of current 1.5 Gbps infrastructures to get into the home."

Not to mention that most content providers don't have the equipment to distribute it, most production companies don't have the equipment to make it and practically no consumers have the hardware to watch it if it were available. Lets not forget that there isn't even a standard yet! Maybe in time for GT10, but as much as I hate repeating myself, a complete waste of time for GT7 on current hardware.

I have seen 4K on everything from 20 inches on down to 4 inch phone screens, I have been in the industry for over 20 years and I can't tell the difference on small screens from 4K - 720. Here are some more anecdotal stories for you, straight from Broadcast Engineering:

"There's a lot of discussion about 4K--also known in the broadcast and consumer electronics worlds as UHDTV--production and whether it is practical for broadcasters to distribute 4K signals--it requires four times the bandwidth of current 1.5 Gbps infrastructures to get into the home."

Not to mention that most content providers don't have the equipment to distribute it, most production companies don't have the equipment to make it and practically no consumers have the hardware to watch it if it were available. Lets not forget that there isn't even a standard yet! Maybe in time for GT10, but as much as I hate repeating myself, a complete waste of time for GT7 on current hardware.
I agree completely but of course it doesn't mean PD won't commit significant resources to make the game work with 4K tv's in order to appeal to the tiny handful of people who both have a 4K TV and are interested in the game.

Next year 4k tvs will be standard, almost as 3d, you get it even if you dont want it.

No, they won't. 3D became popular again because lots of content was being made, films were shown in 3D at the cinema and released on Blu-Ray in 3D. Games were in 3D. There are even some TV stations broadcasting events in 3D. 4k content is still extremely limited and will be by next year.

Didn't realize we are in 2015 and all that has been already purchased by the masses and became the standard globally (at least 10 more years).

This new console generation (lasting about 7 years from now) won't have much content in above 1920x1080 resolution. Heck very few games actually run at that "inferior" resolution, for example no GT games has so far and the latest two with noticeable framerate issues at release date.

Furthermore, I don't think the GT games on the PS4 will even run at 1920x1080 (very far from "4k") at actually stable 60fps, which was supposedly the standard going to be used 10 years ago in console gaming. The jump from the PS3 to the PS4 won't be that high. Those GT games will still be in the the 1440x1080 area with upscaling, which is not 1920x1080 (formerly marketing-wise known as "1080p"), and still running between 50 and 60 all the time.
The mass media numbers and terms will be pretty much the same in the PS4 GT games compared to GT6, with the big improvements in other numbers (textures for example) and mostly on sounds, which should be night and day compared to GT6 because the samples restriction won't be there.

Finally, expect a GT game running (playing in-game) at "4k" at all times and at good framerate in GT9 if not GT10 on the PS5, a time when people will be talking about 8k :P

Is there really a noticeable difference between 60fps and 120fps? That seems like a waste of resources.

Try 125fps yourself on the pc, hopefully with a pc monitor that does "active" 120hz, no wireless controllers, no motion blur and of course no vsync. The difference is night and day, noticeable by everyone both on visuals (looks smoother) and increased responsiveness (feels better).
Of course the experience is better when fiddling with settings, in some particular games and using particular hardware, but it's fine with what's written.

It's not just numbers and marketing like it happens with "4k" resolution, as resolution itself doesn't matter that much now that the standard is quite high already ("720p"). That's why developers currently don't push to get high numbers just because, as in the end what matters is how the game looks and for that the best way is not to push resolution way too high.

Then again console consumers and 'gamers' in general really shouldn't care about that because it's not going to happen for the masses:
1) Few software supports 125fps. Of course it's in the hundreds of games area, but that's few compared to the dozens of thousands of games out there.
2) Because it isn't the default it gets a bit technical purchasing and configuring. Isn't difficult or anything, but it's an additional process.
3) Running a console game at steady 125fps instead of 60 requires lowering graphics substantially, for various reasons, which is something few would welcome.
4) 125fps is not on demand. The vast portion of 'gamers' are accustomed to 30/60fps with a 60hz monitors and they actually like that. Plus they haven't experienced it.
5) There are other related aspects to truly enjoy the experience which are expensive themselves. Great screens, great inputs, etc. in the end cost more than a console and if newer consoles are going to have games running at that framerate with the graphics we are used to it would necessary mean an increase in cost/price.

So with all that said, for most people's experience with videogames 125fps would be a waste of resources, but on the technical side it is not.
Think of it as the current VR projects, or using a racing wheel or triple screens or having great sound in general: it is objectively much better but just isn't for everyone. The type of thing that once you tried that you just can't go back, willingly at least, that becomes just a niche because of all the listed downsides, an enthusiast type of thing. Main reasons are that 'above standard' anything is more expensive -sometimes considerably more- and a bit more complex.

Last edited:
No, they won't. 3D became popular again because lots of content was being made, films were shown in 3D at the cinema and released on Blu-Ray in 3D. Games were in 3D. There are even some TV stations broadcasting events in 3D. 4k content is still extremely limited and will be by next year.
Yes they will,
check out this years models coming out. Lots of 4k at good price at start. Even cheaper models like Finlux are coming. And next year panels will be made for 4k will be even cheaper. Seing also receivers now will have hdmi 2.0
the standard is set. Prices have gone down really quick since last summers first 4k tvs arrived.
Im in the business so i see this as normal evolution.
Bigger Tvs this year is standard.
With same rooms people used to have 32" will be able to have 65"
and still retain perfect quality.
As streaming is coming as the standard for broadcasting and satellite have no problems with bandwith too i see no limitations here. See also Sony new handycams with 4k at new prices, actioncams like Gopro and bluray
already set 4k is really a nice thing to have really soon.

I don't know what things are like in Sweden but in the rest of the world 4k TVs are not going to be priced to suit the masses as soon as next year and they certainly aren't all going to fill their houses with 65" TVs. Most people don't even have the room. A 55" UHDTV in the UK right now retails for about £2,500. The average consumer will spend £300 - £600 on a TV and there is no way 4K TVs are going to be that price next year.

Satellite have no problems with bandwith? What? Is that why we're all currently enjoying 1080i broadcasts at 30Mbps with PCM sound? We're still YEARS away from regular 4k broadcasts. The bandwidth just isn't there. Not to mention it'll be years before anything but films and documentaries are shot in 4k.

4k Blu-Rays are still not here and aren't even finalised. When they are people will need new hardware. Do you really think the average consumer is going to be convinced to buy a new TV and new Blu-Ray player just for a small 4k experience? No. The average consumer doesn't care about that, not at the current prices and not at the prices next year, or the year after that.

As for your Sony handycams again, I think money must be growing on trees in Sweden. They're still way, way outside the reaches of the average consumer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-AX100X-Camcorder-Exmor-Sensor/dp/B00HR684W6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395247024&sr=8-2&keywords=sony 4k camcorder

Sure, everyone has £2,000 to drop on a camcorder. On top of their £2,500 TV and £500 Blu-Ray player.

Last edited:
^To that I'll add four things:

1. The vast majority of TV broadcasts are still in "standard" quality, not "1080i HD". In reality even the so called dated technology is not fully implemented, and the same holds for videogames.

2. People already have the basic and trendy things covered on this regard, TVs and related. The need to upgrade is not there nor the desire to.

The big jump was from CRT to flat TVs, the desirable thing of the time, but after that jump most consumers don't care about technical improvements. The same is true for camcorders, cameras and so on, covered in the form of smartphones which is the current and next year's trend.

In the end top notch TVs (and related) is not the thing to buy right now and most probably won't be in the next 10 years.

3. To put it simply there are three degrees on this matter, which are first what consumers buy or have (90%), then the upper bracket (9%) and finally the niche (1% at best). On camcorders that is a smartphone, then comes a gopro and finally a professional camcorder. Here Mulan is talking about the nice making it appear as it was the must have.

4. Finally, why are we still discussing with him about this? He's been saying the same for the past 2 years here, still completely wrong, without any arguments and making stuff up lol. I'll go as far as saying he does not own a 4k tv or anything he talks about.

Last edited:
This new console generation (lasting about 7 years from now) won't have much content in above 1920x1080 resolution.
PS5 will arrive in 4 to 5 years time. Major developers have indicated this and Sony have said the life cycle is significantly shorter than the 7 years of the PS3.

55" 4k is around 2000 euro started at 3500
New models will start at 2200 and by the end of the year there will be 55" 4k for around 1200euro.
Not alot.
Camcorder will be lower here start at 2200 euro but target is 1400euro and so on.
Last year 55" mid range started at 2000 euro and are now at 1300euro so do the math.

PS5 will arrive in 4 to 5 years time. Major developers have indicated this and Sony have said the life cycle is significantly shorter than the 7 years of the PS3.
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back