Save your money...

Were you expecting anything higher than a 7 out of 10?

This isn't, and never was, a Gran Turismo Killer.

smellysocks12
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/608/608371p1.html

Ign review... 7.2 ... baaad.

In a way I'm glad the game is disappointing (IGN almost always have reliable reviews) because now I don't have to buy 2 racing titles. :)

7.2 is not bad. 3,4,5 is. 7 is ok but not great.

The car models blow Forzas away however.
enthusia-professional-racing-20050428034556829.jpg

The gameplay is way better than in Gran Turismo I think; But you have no real tuning and the structure of the Enthusia life mode is also a bit boring;
But ratings are always dangerous : They rated

Tokyo Xtreme Racer series always bad : from 6,7 - 7,9 or so,
Kaido Battle series : 7 - 8

NFS U got up to 9.3
Burnout also up to 9.3

Yoh know, I personally would judge them the other way round : Shoutokou Battle 01
is in my opinion by far better than Underground and Kaido Battle 2 is a true hit, a 9.0 for me ...

So if you like realistic gameplay, there is no other way : You have to buy Enthusia; all arcadeonly pussies can buy 9.3 Burnout 3 and be happy with it....

Well, I've always said that in the GT4 vs. Forza vs. Enthusia battle, that I wasn't sure about how Enthusia would fare. And according to some of the titles of threads from IGNore, some said something like "better with Ferraris and Lamborghinis," "Now that Gran Turismo 4 sucks...," and all that. But you know, I still want to play for myself. A demo of Enthusia is good enough without me having to rent EPR.

Gran Turismo 4 is out and reviewed. Enthusia is out and reviewed. Now all I have to see is how the XBOX-exclusive Forza Motorsport goes.

Richard Burns Rally had bad and very bad reviews too.. Reviewers saying that its unrealistic, that cmr is better etc. Those people who give those big scores to arcade, big commercial games... And how is rbr for racing enthusiasts? An amazing driving experience.. Basically, enthusia is a game for sims enthusiast, so don't expect it to get a high scores.

p.s.: Live For Speed S2 pwns anyway ;)

Well, I don't think the reviews at IGN are very good. I think the Gamespot reviews are way better. So, a 7.0 at IGN, doesn't say very much to me.

But I've read some reviews for Enthusia, and the AI seems to suck in this game too. Dunno, it's not out here yet, so can't say much of it myself. But I don't think I'll buy this game, although I had a long time thinking this game could be very good competition for GT4. But maybe this game is, dunno. But don't rely on the IGN reviews too much, they're not that good, but that's my opinion.:)

Judmentday(G4techTv) gave it a 6.5 and 7, GT4 was 7.5 and 8. Everone knows GT4 is not a 7 type game.

Score killers- no damage no online.(not everyone cares for those things)

GT4 isn't perfect, but once I saw a screenshot with car 'level upgrades' I knew Enthusia was going to be average at best.

I'll be looking forward to a review of Forza, I won't buy it since I don't have an xbox. I hope it will be better than GT4, though, then PD will have to try harder for GT5. Before GT4 was out GT3 was still the best racing game out there, that's why they didn't change much of the gameplay.

i guess gt4 is so much better, becuase it allows you to tune your car with already unrealistic handling into a car with..........more unrealistic handling?

I never heard that one before... unrealistic handling? Maybe if you drive with super soft slicks in arcade mode it's unrealistic, but that depends on the player.

LaBounti
7.2 is not bad. 3,4,5 is. 7 is ok but not great.

A 7 is ok for a budget game, any game worth spending full price on should deserve a 8 or higher. Of course I didn't play enthusia yet, so I might actually like the game if I'd play it, but I'm not going to gamble on it and spend my money on it now.

Here's a question I dare ask. Are simulation type games... just boring to many people? I normally got sick of all the talk that if GT4 was released last year, Burnout 3 would probably still beat it. Many of us are real-life drivers (I'm not) or racers (I'm not either), but I still enjoy a game that remains being as realistic as possible even if it isn't arcadish. Is it the fact that games like Gran Turismo 4 and Forza Motorsport and Enthusia Professional Racing just don't seem as interesting to some arcade racing fans? Hell, I still like "Need for Speed 2: Special Edition" for my PC and "Sega Super GT/SCUD Race" at the arcades, but I still come home every day to Gran Turismo. Why? It's a fun game that I really enjoy. I'm happy playing a game like in the Gran Turismo series. How it is that most arcade racers get more respect by some games... that's beyond me. Since I'm 22, maybe I'm just aging slowly and slowly until I know what is normal in gaming and what isn't.

JohnBM01
Here's a question I dare ask. Are simulation type games... just boring to many people? I normally got sick of all the talk that if GT4 was released last year, Burnout 3 would probably still beat it. Many of us are real-life drivers (I'm not) or racers (I'm not either), but I still enjoy a game that remains being as realistic as possible even if it isn't arcadish. Is it the fact that games like Gran Turismo 4 and Forza Motorsport and Enthusia Professional Racing just don't seem as interesting to some arcade racing fans? Hell, I still like "Need for Speed 2: Special Edition" for my PC and "Sega Super GT/SCUD Race" at the arcades, but I still come home every day to Gran Turismo. Why? It's a fun game that I really enjoy. I'm happy playing a game like in the Gran Turismo series. How it is that most arcade racers get more respect by some games... that's beyond me. Since I'm 22, maybe I'm just aging slowly and slowly until I know what is normal in gaming and what isn't.

Games are about fun and winning, that is often the basic essence.... so there is also a simulation aspect, and not everybody cares about this... I mean there are also different types of car lovers : the bling bling guys who want to impress the chicks with 50 pounds of sound equippment, 22 inch rims, neon lights and venyls; hell some people spend 50000 $ on thier car and don't have a single hp more after that ! Then there are the performance enthusiasts who don't care about posing, who just love to race with a good engine sound, any of course most people are somewhere between these two hardcore groups.... it's the same with gaming in a way and I know many people who just like the fact that they take the pad and have special effects, high speed and this and they have that within 2 minutes without having to learn the controls... I would call myself a realism freak, so I prefer Enthusia over Burnout for example.... I can however have fun with games like Ridge Racer V, NFSU or Burnout, too; although for me a realistic racing game will always be No. 1...

YuRiPa
and the AI seems to suck in this game too.

Unfortunally that's true. It's slow and still will bump into you. Better than Gt4 ai, but don't expect it to drive like a human would :indiff: This is the reason, because of which I'm not playing enthusia anymore, I came back to online pc sims.

The reviews I trust are the ones made by these forums members. And, from what I've read so far from the guys that bought the game, there's no question in my mind about "saving money". I'll buy it.

btw, I'm well up to nearly 80% in GT4, with all the licenses and all the missions made, and I refuse to B-spec the long enduros (even if I did that, it wouldn't be me driving, so there's nothing to be acomplished there).

It's plain stupid that GT4 doesn't allow mid-race saves, like "Le Mans 24 Hours" allows - in the pits - since 2001!

I'm glad that Enthusia will arrive to my PS2 at the right moment ... in a few days! :sly:

Toca RD 2 was the best racing game in my book in 2004. And its 10x better with the DFP. Had GT4 came out last year GT4 woulda edged it out by a hair. TOca 2's AI was fantastic and there were as many as 20 of them to watch out for.

Don't let reviews stop you.

Enthusia is great. The maker says its not intent to be anything with Gran Turismo.
Enthusia's purpose is give the racer a real life experience and just drive cars.

In fact, 1 rally track is different every time you race it. 👍

Enthusia's line-up is beautiful as well.
The Chevy Astro isn't inspirational, but the rest are.

For instance, the Dauer EB110 is a car that's making its 1st appearence that I know of in a game, and that's great.

The M1 Pro Car is nice as well.

Enthusia's tracks are fantasy and real, and the sounds of the cars is pretty much spot on for most to all of them.

That was an excellent post. Unfortunately I've seen a lot of "IGN gave it a 7.2 so I'm not even going to play it" around different forums.

Well, I'm buying it first thing in the morning, and I could really care less what IGN wrote. I listened to the sound clips, I watched the physics videos, I've seen graphs and information charts, and I can already tell it's as realistic as possible, which is the way I like it.

The realism alone is good enough for me. I could really care less if the music sucks or not (because i'll turn it off anyhow), that I can't push both the analog stick and the buttons at the same time), etc etc.

"and Enthusia deserves a score similar to GT4's, if not higher. "

I have to dissagree with that. GT4 may not have perfect physics but it doent need any gimicks to sell the game. And has far less content. I dont have to play Enthusia to know that.

" The game is realistic!! "

It could be 5x more real than GT4 and 3x more than Forza, doesnt make it a better game.

" Bad sense of speed? Give Konami a break; it took Polyphony Digital four times to get that right, and it could still be better. "

You have to distort the screen to make it "seem" faster ruining the look of the game .

"Add to that the fact that Enthusia doesn't play copy-machine with its car list, even purposefully adding important cars that GT4 missed"

A matter of opinion, not every car is going to make it in any game. To me none of non gt4 cars are important.

I'll wait till i play the game and draw my own conclusions I'm buying it regaurdless since it looks great and should play better my DFP, IGN's reveiw system blows any way. I think more than one person should review game. like EGM or Gameinformer

It does seem pretty strange that the guy moaned about some weird driving technique where he switches between the thumbstick and the buttons.

Max_DC
The gameplay is way better than in Gran Turismo I think; But you have no real tuning and the structure of the Enthusia life mode is also a bit boring;
But ratings are always dangerous : They rated

Tokyo Xtreme Racer series always bad : from 6,7 - 7,9 or so,
Kaido Battle series : 7 - 8

NFS U got up to 9.3
Burnout also up to 9.3

Yoh know, I personally would judge them the other way round : Shoutokou Battle 01
is in my opinion by far better than Underground and Kaido Battle 2 is a true hit, a 9.0 for me ...

So if you like realistic gameplay, there is no other way : You have to buy Enthusia; all arcadeonly pussies can buy 9.3 Burnout 3 and be happy with it....

Pah... TXR isn't better than NFSU at all... I played both (and finished both)... TXR has a very floaty feeling to the cars... The physics is just too slippery... NFSU isn't good either but I think its better than TXR...

And there doesn't seem to be a review for Kaido Battle (Just checked right now are those IGN grades?)... So I don't know where you got those points from...
I also can't find a review for RBR for anyone who mentioned it...

And don't bag on BurnOut 3 because its a solid game... I didn't play Enthusia yet so I have no comment but BurnOut is a pretty solid arcade racer...

And if you want a solid PS2 sim... GT 4 is the way to go... You can't customise your car as much on Enthusia from what I've heard...

YuRiPa
Well, I don't think the reviews at IGN are very good. I think the Gamespot reviews are way better. So, a 7.0 at IGN, doesn't say very much to me.

But I've read some reviews for Enthusia, and the AI seems to suck in this game too. Dunno, it's not out here yet, so can't say much of it myself. But I don't think I'll buy this game, although I had a long time thinking this game could be very good competition for GT4. But maybe this game is, dunno. But don't rely on the IGN reviews too much, they're not that good, but that's my opinion.:)

Just remember... IGN gives higher scores than Gamespot... Gamespot is a little more harsh when it comes to reviews... If IGN scores low Gamespot usually gives the same game a lower (if not similar) score...

There are exceptions (obviously) but the overall trend seems to be that way...

On a side note... I have enough racing games right now... (NFSU2, GT4, MNC3)... I don't think I'm buying another one yet... Besides... Gt4 is eating a lot of my time... (at 51.2% but not increasing... Busy buying cars and fixing em in the Used car section~ :) ) Without GT4 customization.... Enthusia is just another racer like the other games I have...

Sorry for the double post... Should have used both quotes at once... :guilty:

animateria
Pah... TXR isn't better than NFSU at all... I played both (and finished both)... TXR has a very floaty feeling to the cars... The physics is just too slippery... NFSU isn't good either but I think its better than TXR...

And there doesn't seem to be a review for Kaido Battle (Just checked right now are those IGN grades?)... So I don't know where you got those points from...
I also can't find a review for RBR for anyone who mentioned it...

And don't bag on BurnOut 3 because its a solid game... I didn't play Enthusia yet so I have no comment but BurnOut is a pretty solid arcade racer...

And if you want a solid PS2 sim... GT 4 is the way to go... You can't customise your car as much on Enthusia from what I've heard...

RBR usually either gets low scores from those who think its to hard (AKA aren't the racing sims and same type who give GTR low scores) and then those who give it the scores it deserves.
RBR from what I know has to be ordered from oversea.

LaBounti
"and Enthusia deserves a score similar to GT4's, if not higher. "

I have to dissagree with that. GT4 may not have perfect physics but it doent need any gimicks to sell the game.

Point taken, but you're comparing the 4th game in a mega-popular series to the first entry from a developer not experienced in the genre, trying to sell their game to a market that proves time and time again that fresh, new ideas don't always sell very well. It's kinda like setting up a small burger shack next to McDonald's. Your burgers could be 1000x times better than McDonald's burgers, but consumers wouldn't know or care. They already know that they like McDonald's burgers, so it's no risk.

LaBounti
And has far less content. I dont have to play Enthusia to know that.

This is true, but you gotta wonder if GT4 would have had less flaws if PD didn't concentrate on a huge number of cars.

LaBounti
" The game is realistic!! "

It could be 5x more real than GT4 and 3x more than Forza, doesnt make it a better game.

As you said of my comment on GT4/Enthusia's car lists, this is a matter of opinion. For example, GT4's content and depth outweigh Live for Speed's by a million to one (LFS doesn't even have licensed cars) but I would rather play Live for Speed. And there are plenty of people who would agree with me.

LaBounti
" Bad sense of speed? Give Konami a break; it took Polyphony Digital four times to get that right, and it could still be better. "

You have to distort the screen to make it "seem" faster ruining the look of the game .

I assume you're talking about the edge-of-the-screen speed effects in Enthusia. The point I was trying to get across is that until GT4, the GT series has always had an atrocious sense of speed. In any case, although I agree that the sense of speed isn't very good in Enthusia, I personally like the special effect.

LaBounti
"Add to that the fact that Enthusia doesn't play copy-machine with its car list, even purposefully adding important cars that GT4 missed"

A matter of opinion, not every car is going to make it in any game. To me none of non gt4 cars are important.

Yes, you're right, but my main point was that Enthusia's list features a bare minimum of repeats, if any. GT4 features many Skylines, RX-7's, NSX's, and such that help boost the number of cars for a small amount of work. Also, GT4 doesn't even let you use some of the cars (1886 Motor Wagen, Ford Model T, Tankcar etc.) in some of the game modes, preventing players from setting up some really neat races. After GT3's disappointing list, PD really concentrated too much on getting a high number of cars for GT4.

LaBounti
I'll wait till i play the game and draw my own conclusions I'm buying it regaurdless since it looks great and should play better my DFP, IGN's reveiw system blows any way. I think more than one person should review game. like EGM or Gameinformer

I'm glad you're gonna give Enthusia a chance. GT4 really is a good game, but I'm hoping (and betting) that Enthusia will blow it out of the water, realism-wise.

Thumbs up to those who will try Enthu and see if it's any good. I've seen a lot of "IGN gave it 7.2 so I won't even play it". Just nonsense to me.

Back