Shift 2 v1.02 Patch

• Thread starter BryantFC
  • 899 comments
An extra level to the AI would be interesting and adaptations to the livery editor would be cool. Not really bothered to much with it yet, but like with Forza these things will come later it the game for me.

As for patch 1.02 on PC (possible 1.03 on consoles) I ve been reading the No Grip forums and they (SMS) are thinking of adding an extra lvl for AI (harder).

Oh god, yes, please! I mean, the AI isn't bad, but a bit faster would be so nice! And make that a fair bit, please.
Being in the lead after just two laps in a twenty lap race is a bit boring ;)

GREAT!!! Installed 1.02 on my PS3 (playing with DS3 controller) and the game is the best! No inputlag anymore at all, the cars are great to drive and the competition is great.
And the best part, driving with helmetcam is now really fun and im doing better laptimes than without it. But only daytime, nightracing is easier with regular cockpitview.

Luminis
Oh god, yes, please! I mean, the AI isn't bad, but a bit faster would be so nice! And make that a fair bit, please.
Being in the lead after just two laps in a twenty lap race is a bit boring ;)

I always seem to get an early lead, but is keeping that lead that can be tricky. I have only really used standard cars so far, or only very lightly modded, and if I make a mistake they are quick to pounce at me and put the pressure on. That is one think I really like about the game.

I always seem to get an early lead, but is keeping that lead that can be tricky. I have only really used standard cars so far, or only very lightly modded, and if I make a mistake they are quick to pounce at me and put the pressure on. That is one think I really like about the game.

That doesn't really happen to me very often... I usually get noticbly better lap times than the AI drivers, so I get an early lead and increase the gap lap after lap. Doesn't realyl matter whether the car is highly modified or nearly stock.

There's two possible reasons as to why it doesn't happen: 1) I don't know the track or 2) I don't get along with the car very well.
In the endurance races I've played so far, I was able to lap at least a few opponents and DNF the rest :lol: My lap times were roughly six to eight seconds faster than the AI around a track that takes about two and a half minutes to get around - that's quite a bit.

Not that the AI is bad or anything, I like them quite a bit. But they're just still pretty early on the brakes most of them time and therefore rather slow through the corners.

I've got to admit, though, that it wasn't that way with 1.00. Put 1.01 and 1.02 reduced the floaty feeling and gave me the ability to run faster and more consistent laptimes, which, along with the experience with the game, makes me want a faster AI more and more.

just an OT question, if i set times ..they'll uploaded to autolog when psn will be up or i'm just doing useless time trial?

just an OT question, if i set times ..they'll uploaded to autolog when psn will be up or i'm just doing useless time trial?

Its been already answered this question , in another thread i think.

The times will be saved and and uploaded when the psn is up again.

You have to go on the game for Autolog to update. So when the PSN comes back online your times won't be uploaded until you hop S2U again.

That doesn't really happen to me very often... I usually get noticbly better lap times than the AI drivers, so I get an early lead and increase the gap lap after lap. Doesn't realyl matter whether the car is highly modified or nearly stock.

There's two possible reasons as to why it doesn't happen: 1) I don't know the track or 2) I don't get along with the car very well.
In the endurance races I've played so far, I was able to lap at least a few opponents and DNF the rest :lol: My lap times were roughly six to eight seconds faster than the AI around a track that takes about two and a half minutes to get around - that's quite a bit.

Not that the AI is bad or anything, I like them quite a bit. But they're just still pretty early on the brakes most of them time and therefore rather slow through the corners.

I find the AI to be better than most games, especially in the GT3 or GT1 cars. The more even field certainly makes it more challenging, was running a 11 lap race at Zolder earlier in GT3 cars and was having a continuous battle with the AI...for 10th place. :lol:

I find the AI to be better than most games, especially in the GT3 or GT1 cars. The more even field certainly makes it more challenging, was running a 11 lap race at Zolder earlier in GT3 cars and was having a continuous battle with the AI...for 10th place. :lol:

Agreed, the AI is a lot better than what's available in most other games (far bettter, in my opinion). But, so far, there were just a very few times I actually had trouble beating the AI... And if there were trouble, it was courtesy of a messy car setup, a car that was a mismatch to the track or me not knowing the track at all ;)

Should've added that I haven't tried the endurance race yet. I've only done the shorter races (am currently in the retro series) but only play at the weekends.

The races aren't too hard (so far), but they do make you work more than other racers seem to (forza, gt etc).

The races aren't too hard (so far), but they do make you work more than other racers seem to (forza, gt etc).

That's true!
It really is a game for the racing fan!
And Shift 2 is an unforgiving game where you can't use the tactics used in other games to win dirty: you can't ram the opponents, use them to turn faster, use the barrier to turn, make a mistake and just bounce back on track without consequences, cut the track if the race is getting too difficult, overpowering the AI, etc.

That's why I like Shift 2! You always have fun fighting, not just for the win, but for position, for nailing the next corner, for squeezing some tenths of a second off your lap time with a new setup. In other words, playing for the joy of driving and racing! 👍

Unfortunately, I think that's the reason Shift 2 suffers on sales.
People who are used to other forgiving driving games (and are not really into racing) and employ their regular 'tricks' in Shift 2 will be quickly disappointed since they will find Shift 2 to be very difficult and unforgiving.

I wouldn't want Shift 2 any other way!
The game is brilliant the way it is and any racing fan that is into sim racing and wants a challenging and entertaining game will have a blast! But I believe that's the last entry in the Shift series we will ever see... :(

It's a good thing though that Shift 2 is amazing and with great depth so that people who appreciate it can enjoy it for a long time! I know I will! :D
And I hope (though unlikely) we will see a spiritual and technological successor to Shift 2 that will offer an even more advanced, realistic and thrilling experience to the sim-racing fans without being dumped-down for the masses.

SMS really has the talent and the vision (based on recent interviews) to continue evolving the Shift franchise and it would be great if EA would trust them to develop an even better sequel.

Someone ask for this and here it is:

Sorry for my spoken english but I hope you can understand.
The video show the persistent lag also with patch 1.02 on my fat PS3 with my G27 wheel, elite mode, no aids at all.
The monitor is a Asus PC monitor connect by hdmi.

As you can see from my channel "http://www.youtube.com/user/Gabba73" I am used to play sim and no others sims have a similar ammount of lag.

I am still hoping there is some sort of bugs with some of us and the patch does not work while with others make the game imput lag free.

^ Wow, that looks a lot more severe than what I'm seeing on the Xbox. I guess I can't compare the rseults that well, as I'm using the pad, but still...

@ paulpg87: Thanks for your response, mate! Tried your settings, feels like a good setup but unfortunately it didnt solve my lag issues. I experience the same lag as Gabba73. Actually, even a bit worse.

Funny but very strange thing I noticed btw: Afterwards I tried my old settings again (not much different but with over 80% steering sensitivy, some speed sensivity and 450° lock) and the Delta Integrale Works I used started to all of a sudden be very oversteering... With the same tune! WTH?! This game is really starting to frustrate me a lot with all the totally inacceptable and just not understandable issues. :crazy:

Last edited:
Someone ask for this and here it is:

Sorry for my spoken english but I hope you can understand.
The video show the persistent lag also with patch 1.02 on my fat PS3 with my G27 wheel, elite mode, no aids at all.
The monitor is a Asus PC monitor connect by hdmi.

As you can see from my channel "http://www.youtube.com/user/Gabba73" I am used to play sim and no others sims have a similar ammount of lag.

I am still hoping there is some sort of bugs with some of us and the patch does not work while with others make the game imput lag free.

Isnt that vid just showing kid on lag with the hands? Race in bumper cam and see if your getting lag.

G25 (and probably G27) owners: try steering lock at 900 and steering sensitivity at 100.

This had made a difference for me. The annoying "sway" off corners and down straights is reduced with these settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu4vH2ydT7E&feature=related

Dont know how to post a video here but check that out from 0:45 on

Don't know what you want to say with this, but if it's about input lag being in GT5 as well, don't be too sure about that. Animation in GT5 is different than the actual wheel. Animation is only 360-400° while the wheel's steering lock is bigger than that. So you really can't tell from cockpit view in GT5. Also this video is from GT5 Prologue, GT5 is very different from that.

In Shift 2 the animation and actual steering lock is the same though as far as I've seen so it should be a good way to test in cockpit view there. But I also see the input lag from hood view, it's small but it's there. In GT5 this isn't the case.

It's alright though, can at least get used to this quickly unlike the input lag we had before 1.02.

Please forgive me if i'm wrong but, I don't think the wheel in the cockpit is a good example.

If you try the 900º steering lock and speed sensitivity at 100 you'll notice that its near perfect match.

The test can't be done like that and the way to do is already explained in here -> https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=197126

Isnt that vid just showing kid on lag with the hands? Race in bumper cam and see if your getting lag.

I decide to make the video with the cockpit cam to have something to show you the evidence of input lag (the wheel in the cockpit cam), but while playing I have the same lag with every cam and it penalize my driving..... I am an old and experienced sim-drivers and I can discern visual lag from input lag ;)

EDIT after another try:
900 degree steering lock, 100% steering sensivity.
I have the same input lag of my previous video.

Last edited:
I decide to make the video with the cockpit cam to have something to show you the evidence of input lag (the wheel in the cockpit cam), but while playing I have the same lag with every cam and it penalize my driving..... I am an old and experienced sim-drivers and I can discern visual lag from input lag ;)

EDIT after another try:
900 degree steering lock, 100% steering sensivity.
I have the same input lag of my previous video.

Sorry to hear you are stuggling with the handling in S2U. I bet I am older than you (50+, not that it matters) and I don't find a big problem with the control. I always think "If I can do it, anyone can!". I don't watch the relationship of my steering adjustment to the onscreen. Maybe focusing on that is causing more concern that there needs to be. I use a DFGT and have tried the DS3 and don't see a big problem with any lag. There are so many variables that it is hard to compare apples to apples though.
I have been sim racing (hell, any racing) since the Sport Car GT on the computer (late 90's) and everything in between (PC and consoles). S2U isn't perfect but it offers the most exciting racing experience I can remember in a long time (presentation, visual effects, sound, etc.). 55" Plasma with 7.1 DD surround sound pulls you in...

Sorry to hear you are stuggling with the handling in S2U. I bet I am older than you (50+, not that it matters) and I don't find a big problem with the control. I always think "If I can do it, anyone can!". I don't watch the relationship of my steering adjustment to the onscreen. Maybe focusing on that is causing more concern that there needs to be. I use a DFGT and have tried the DS3 and don't see a big problem with any lag. There are so many variables that it is hard to compare apples to apples though.
I have been sim racing (hell, any racing) since the Sport Car GT on the computer (late 90's) and everything in between (PC and consoles). S2U isn't perfect but it offers the most exciting racing experience I can remember in a long time (presentation, visual effects, sound, etc.). 55" Plasma with 7.1 DD surround sound pulls you in...
I speak about my heritage just to let you know that I have knowledges to speak about sim and racing games.....and I am sorry to told you but I started to play sim years before you ....REVS :)
I don't watch the relationship of my steering adjustment to the onscreen but as I explained in my previous post I used that to show you the lag that I feel everytime I steer....... I am an experienzed drivers and can feel the reactions of the car on the fingertip..... and in shift 2 (for me, on my system) these reactions are late.
And again I don't think that you have input lag like me but for this reason I show you by video that I (and some others) have it and I like to find with your help the reason why some have and others not.
Just now I find a bug in the control menu that reset the advanced option if you set the steer left and right steering control in the "binding menù".
During my many tests since realese of the second patch I got different result from delete, uninstalling and restalling, patch and gaming data and this make me think that the game have issue that give different response to all the players.........one of this different response could be the input lag.
Do you think it could be reasonable????
I repeat, I don't want convice anybody of anything, but just understand togheter why this game has so different opinions

Last edited:
You choose a video that has all assists on (probably filmed before this patch) to proove your point? looks like you want to be right at all costs.

This is getting boring now!
You quoted some one's post with a link to a PC version of the game(You're on the PS3 right?).Trying to prove that Shift is a perfect sim,at all costs like You accuse me of, which obviously isn't for anyone seeing straight.
I posted other Youtube video with GT1 cars-which were the class I was referring to to try to make my point across-do a search on Youtube with:

"Shift 2 GT1 championship" what video pops up first?
Right, the one I posted!
It seemed a fair comparison because:

a)Both are GT1 Tubes.(One of a real race the other from the game).
b)Both are from a race in Zolder.
c)Both are from exterior cams.
d)The exterior cam seemed the ideal one to show the irrealist behaviour of these cars in S2U.

So I didn't carefully chose a video to prove my point(as You ,and others have implied) I posted the first video on the search which seemed good for the comparison for the reasons stated above.

Now I don't use that view for driving(I think I wouldn't even be able to drive like that:scared:), I use absolutely no driving assists(not even ABS), and You know it because I've stated it several times in these forums.Unless You don't believe me and think I'm lying.But when PSN is back on You can check that for Yourself(or anyone as a matter of fact:mischievous:) unless S2U still has those ridiculous lobby settings where the host can't choose which assists are allowed, thing I sincerely hope has changed in this release of the series!
I couldn't check it for myself yet because I bought in the day PSN went down.
Or even best pick a train or plane...I'll invite You to watch me playing so You can see it for Yourself, maybe over a couple of beers You wouldn't stress as much as You do with our diverging opinions about a video game.:rolleyes:
Either way You know me from these forums since Shift 1, You know the rules of the league we ran...I'M proud to be a member of a very restrict group of GTPeers which even in GT5 refuse to use ABS in the organized GT5 events(gathering people of almost all corners on Earth) we participate in.

Yesterday I was cooking my meal and it didnt turn out great guess what IT IS STILL FOOD ANYWAY...

Shouting much are we?:sly:

and so is a Sim, good or bad its a Sim

No, taking Your previous example good or bad is still a racing game...unless in Food You also include a Big Mac and a Lobster Vol-au-vent in the same Food genre...if You do it...well I guess than I would start to understand You.:sly:

and IMO is quite good...

I got that.;)
Although, to be honest it seems to depend on the post and time of day...

But I can understand that if you play with a pad/ assist on and through your car around at hight speeds they will slide.

See above...don't keep bringing the pad thing here...You know that are players that still can drive properly with a pad right?-Take Dan Holland example in the GT5 WRS registry quallifying, and I know some very fast pad players...no matter which game they choose.
On the other hand I have several friends who are wheel users, so I've experienced several times playing games with wheels,although to be honest I only tried S2U one time with a DFGT...it's pretty much the same game only the control method is more accurate, immersing and fun. But it doesn't alter the game engine.

Yes I quoted Andy Tudor because you were the one wanting to know what was «underneath the hood» of the game...

False...quote me saying that!
I guess either You are confused(and didn't bother to check) with the conversation I had with boxox, before, where he used that term.Or You are deliberately distorting facts to Your like trying to prove Your point.
I play games for amusement...and take it for what they are...games!
I live perfectly well with the arcadish handling of S2U, I had the first one and played it to exhaustion and enjoyed it, the new one, as said in the ISR preview I posted and You chose to ignore, and quite obvious to anyone who has both deliveries of the series, is pretty much an improvement of the first delivery engine...so it is exactly what I expected:
A very fun arcade racer!
And You quoted Andy Tudor statements trying to prove Your subjective perception of S2U being a sim trying to bring an "expert" opinion to support Your position with some objectivity.
I just pointed out he is a SMS employee so his opinion could never be taken as unbiased in this discussion, don't You think?
if you think Andy Tudor is a Lyer thats your problem...

I don't think he is a liar I think he is a man...on SMS payroll:rolleyes:
Which part of the syllogism are You struggling to get?:confused:

the game is not perfect

I know that-never expected it to be-You on the other hand...

but it was desgined to be a Sim and Fun...

Agreed in the last part.

Im begginng to think that your problem is more «there are no Sims on a console» Syndrome

I'm beginning to think You have a Syndrome about my hypothetical virtual Syndromes.:ouch:

If I stated that you are amongst the minoraty it was not because I started a poll but because I read what other people right here and in other forums about the game and your one of the few that keeps calling this game arcade...

You stated that I am in the minority, again, based in a total subjective perception of the people posting on a Shift 2 sub forum where there are hardly a couple of hundred-to be generous- regular posters...and where the people satisfied with the game(like me and You) keep posting about patch releases, favourite tracks,cars, etc.
And where most people unsatisfied with the game made one post calling it an utterly crap and moved on to other games and respective forums or sub-forums.
Even than if You were trying to be serious and having a honest discussion You would have noticed for instance that the rants(274) thread has more than twice the number of posts than the raves(126) thread...see a trend there?
Now, me, unlike You, I'm very certain of the way I perceive a game...I don't need to feel that I'm going with the tide to feel comfortable about it...even if I were-which, as I just proved, I'm not- the only one I would feel exactly the same.

The game producer states that they made a Sim

Again with the game producer talk B.S.:dunce:
There are products which the producer claims You'll grow back hair or loose 30 kilos in a month...do You believe them?:dunce:

, its being sold as a Sim...

Wrong it's being sold has a game...You just have to pay for it...than You can call it what You want they don't care!

its not a 100% hardcore Sim but it fits the category...

In Your opinion maybe, not in mine!
It's like what the tenth time I tell You this what part don't You get?!!!:ill:

And you say they failled miserably and it turned out Arcade...

Don't put words in others mouth( is getting a habit...maybe it's a Syndrome?:sly:)and against the AUP
I never said they failed miserably-your own words- I said, and even gave the hired drivers example, they've made a very good arcade racer which I'm enjoying pretty much, despite the obvious flaws.
They had success with the first delivery(was Shift 1 also a sim?) why wouldn't they repeat it with the slight improvements they were able to make in one and a half year of developing the same game engine?

Well I got news for you from the replys alone of people answering to you and trying to proove you wrong and from the ones not answering to me you can tell how the majority stands.

False again(are You related to our prime Minister?!:lol:)!
That's what You choose to perceive-I'm getting pretty sure it would be a Syndrome in someone views- since my last post until now...where I read-i.e. the current post I'm quoting there was only one person addressing my post,questioning my choice of youtube video and implying it was a biased choice...I just explained in this post why I don't think it was...I didn't saw anyone addressing your post, but that's absolutely irrelevant this is not a gang fight it's a debate about a video game!

Also more don't mean better, but I tell what if You're that sure why don't you start a poll?
S2U Arcade or SIM?

PS: if I disrespect the AUP Im sure a Moderator will put me in my place as it happened before.. not you.

If someone reported Yes...I was giving You a friendly hint.
Next time You claim I said something I didn't(which btw You just did 3 times in a single post:dunce: ), I won't do the same!

Last edited:
Back