Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,315 comments
TB
View attachment 1067645

Hopefully things don't go down the crapper.

Still need to book the flight and car...
I just booked my trip as well

exterior-view.jpg

Avista Grande hotel and resort on Phuket. Travel insurance due to covid is a ****ing joke. Almost $400

I just booked my trip as well

View attachment 1067720

Avista Grande hotel and resort on Phuket. Travel insurance due to covid is a ****ing joke. Almost $400
Nice!

We're skipping the trip insurance for the VRBO I booked. For the $160, it was kind of spotty for what it covered so we're going to risk it.

Out of curiosity, what kind of price are you looking at for flights? Fargo to Kauai is about 40% higher than in the past right now so we're going to watch them for a week or so. Although we'll probably get antsy and book it just to get it done. šŸ¤£

TB
Nice!

We're skipping the trip insurance for the VRBO I booked. For the $160, it was kind of spotty for what it covered so we're going to risk it.

Out of curiosity, what kind of price are you looking at for flights? Fargo to Kauai is about 40% higher than in the past right now so we're going to watch them for a week or so. Although we'll probably get antsy and book it just to get it done. šŸ¤£
My trip is kind of weird since I won a travel voucher at work ($2500) and we had to book it via a travel agency and the total ended up being around $3,600 through them for flights and hotel for 8 nights for two.

But when I went on expedia.com to look at pricing it only cost about $2,700 for the same package and that's with upgraded rooms, so I don't know how the travel agency price ended up being so high but we had the voucher money to spend so it's fine.

I'm not exactly sure how the price breakdown is for hotel and flight separately but that's the total price.

Travel insurance with covid coverage is mandatory to enter Thailand unfortunately so we had to buy it which totally blows cause it's stupid and expensive. We've both been vaccinated and that's also a prerequisite to enter Thailand.

This is leaving from Kansas City.

Last edited:
My trip is kind of weird since I won a travel voucher at work ($2500) and we had to book it via a travel agency and the total ended up being around $3,600 through them for flights and hotel for 8 nights for two.

But when I went on expedia.com to look at pricing it only cost about $2,700 for the same package and that's with upgraded rooms, so I don't know how the travel agency price ended up being so high but we had the voucher money to spend so it's fine.

I'm not exactly sure how the price breakdown is for hotel and flight separately but that's the total price.

Travel insurance with covid coverage is mandatory to enter Thailand unfortunately so we had to buy it which totally blows cause it's stupid and expensive. We've both been vaccinated and that's also a prerequisite to enter Thailand.

This is leaving from Kansas City.
I'm guessing the travel agent (honestly, why are they still even a thing?) has a healthy markup but even then it's a steep difference.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm looking at $1200-1400 each just for flights from Fargo to Kauai. In the past we've been as low as $800, average is $1000.

Rental car prices are up, too. Assuming we're actually able to get a car. šŸ˜Ÿ

For Kauai, fully vaccinated people don't have to self-quarantine and they recently dropped the indoor mask mandate but wearing a mask OUTDOORS where there are a lot of people is encouraged. Nothing about wearing one indoors where there are a lot of people. That combination didn't make much sense to me.

TB
I'm guessing the travel agent (honestly, why are they still even a thing?) has a healthy markup but even then it's a steep difference.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm looking at $1200-1400 each just for flights from Fargo to Kauai. In the past we've been as low as $800, average is $1000.

Rental car prices are up, too. Assuming we're actually able to get a car. šŸ˜Ÿ

For Kauai, fully vaccinated people don't have to self-quarantine and they recently dropped the indoor mask mandate but wearing a mask OUTDOORS where there are a lot of people is encouraged. Nothing about wearing one indoors where there are a lot of people. That combination didn't make much sense to me.
Yeah we're so pissed we have to use a travel agency. It would be so much easier to do it ourselves and just flip them the bill.

We're not even wearing masks here in kansas anymore so hope its not too strict at the resort. With it pretty much being poolside or in the ocean i doubt we'll be using them much.

We've both been vaccinated
That handy, because a fair chunk of the population here havenā€™t and Phuket is seen new cases every day.

Although, the only real issue to worry about is the prohibition hours on alcohol.

My Chromebook has started acting up these past couple of weeks, barely being able to have multiple tabs open before crashing. Having become fed up with it and being convinced by corporate ad dollars on the radio, I took advantage of Dell's Black Friday in July sale and picked out a new desk top.
dv3681sff_csy_00015rf_bk_rd_odd.jpeg.jpg

What appealed to me most about the Vostro is the small form factor, which is top priority for me since I don't have much space in my room (it measures roughly 11" tall x 3.5" wide x 11" deep; perfect for fitting under my desk without cramping my leg room). I rarely ever took the Chromebook out of the house anyway, so I figured I'd be okay with having something permanently attached to my desk. I also wanted to get the version equipped with the Intel i7 core and 1TB storage, but since I really couldn't wait until October I settled on the i5/256GB model arriving next week instead.

Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell
GA1xhn.gif

I've been super excited about Gearbreakers since I first saw it and put in the pre order. Like who wouldn't want a sapphic sci-fi/cyberpunk book involving giant mechs?

Really enjoyed the little bit of it I've managed to find time to read so far, and can't wait to finish it and add it to the stacks of WLW books I have on my shelves ^-^
View attachment 1065010
I finally got my own copy. Looking forward to getting into it.
3044AE3A-1EF9-41CF-B625-0E7B9E8FE254.jpeg

Todayā€™s comics haul. I strongly recommend Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow by Tom King and Bilguis Evely. The story is great and the art is incredible, reminding me of both Moebius and Alphonse Mucha.
87163D5B-3D05-4989-BFEA-52093F6AEC83.jpeg

Last edited:
Another copy of Gateway To Jazz Kissa Vol.2, this time the English version.
Seen here atop its Japanese language twin, Gateway Vol. 1 & Vinyl #1 all done by the same chap Katsumasa Kusunose.

This version is about the Tokyo Jazz Kissa, The Eagle. Other Kissaā€™s are covered in the other magazines. Packed full of excellent photography.

Well worth the cost, despite postage costing more than the magazine itself.

CF5378BC-6500-4E3C-97AD-4FC6ADB85712.jpeg

So I got to make my yearly trip to Player's Choice in Myrtle Beach again just yesterday and here's what I got this year:
IMG_0378.jpeg

The Need for Speed. Played this game YEARS ago and was pretty impressed with it and I was pretty happy to see it there and I am even happier to finally own it!

NASCAR '98. A few weeks ago I had watched videos on this game and found out it had a paintball cheat code and some fantasy tracks and have been wanting a copy ever since. I had hoped it would be there and I was not disappointed! :)

NASCAR Racing. 2 NASCAR games in one run? Now that is a first! After getting NASCAR Racing 2003 Season back in November and being absolutely blown away by it, it's only natural I would get one of the older games.

Rally Cross. Ironically, this was a game nearly got last year but didn't. This time, however, I didn't let it out of my sight. Although I did buy it on PSN already, I still wanted to get a physical copy since physical is my preference. Grew up playing this game on Interactive CD Vol. 3 and had wanted a copy of this for a long time, now I finally have it! :dopey:

Tyco R/C Assault With A Battery. Got this one simply because it looked interesting, especially since I grew up playing with their vehicles as a kid.

Haven't played them yet, but I am looking forward to it!

Ironically I saw Hydro Thunder for the PS1 again this year and contemplated getting it once more. But just like last year, I didn't (it was very expensive) and I'm having 2nd thoughts about it yet again. :indiff: Pretty disappointed I didn't find any Gameboy Advance games I wanted, but hey, I guess they can't all be winners. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Overall though, I feel this was a good haul and I certainly look forward to checking them all out! :D

Always a pleasure to visit this place again! šŸ‘

Last edited:
NASCAR Racing. 2 NASCAR games in one run? Now that is a first! After getting NASCAR Racing 2003 Season back in November and being absolutely blown away by it, it's only natural I would get one of the older games.
I'm assuming that's the original NASCAR title from Papyrus? There's a copy of mine somewhere in my parent's house, but goodness knows where exactly. :lol: I lost count of how many hours I played that game I loved it so much.

I'm assuming that's the original NASCAR title from Papyrus?
Yep!
I lost count of how many hours I played that game I loved it so much.
Interesting. If it's anything at all like NR2003, I don't doubt it! Suddenly I am even more interested to see what this game is like.

And this is coming from someone who used to think NASCAR games always sucked. (excluding NASCAR Rumble)

Last edited:
Interesting. If it's anything at all like NR2003, I don't doubt it! Suddenly I am even more interested to see what this game is like.

And this is coming from someone who used to think NASCAR games always sucked. (excluding NASCAR Rumble)
Well, it's note quite NR2003. It is from 1994 after all (at least the PC version). Still though, for the racing games from those times, it played very well. I felt like NASCAR 4, released in 2001, is where it made an even bigger step towards realism. NR2002 and NR2003 were slightly more refined.

I don't blame you for thinking NASCAR games were crap. Papyrus was the only company who could make a halfway decent title. Yeah you could have a little bit of fun with other NASCAR games. But once EA got the sole rights, they didn't need to try, and the gameplay suffered. And the lack of options caused me to lose interest because I didn't really enjoy EA's NASCAR titles all that much.

Well, it's note quite NR2003. It is from 1994 after all (at least the PC version).
Well yea, it's obviously a lot older, this one being from 1996, but my point is, as much as I liked NR2003, I feel I have a good reason to believe I'll like this one too.
Still though, for the racing games from those times, it played very well.
You ain't kidding! :eek: I played it for the first time today and not even 5 minutes into the game, it didn't take me long to understand why you liked it.
I don't blame you for thinking NASCAR games were crap.
My reason for not caring about them was simply because for a long time I just wasn't into NASCAR. I used to be one of those "NASCAR is boringā€ stereotypes and the games just didn't offer much to me. That is until I started learning about its history and seeing videos of NR2003 mods. Nowadays, while I am not a "huge fan" of NASCAR, I see both it and its games in a whole different light now and have grown to appreciate them a lot more.
Papyrus was the only company who could make a halfway decent title. Yeah you could have a little bit of fun with other NASCAR games. But once EA got the sole rights, they didn't need to try, and the gameplay suffered.
I know what you mean. I haven't played NR2003 much, but I do recall feeling like this the last time I played it. Having played NASCAR '98 and NASCAR Racing back to back for the first time today, I actually had much more fun with NASCAR Racing than I did with NASCAR '98. Despite NR1's graphics and framerate being so much worse, the cars are just so fun to drive and so easy to control, it makes up for it. So much so, I struggled to get myself to stop playing the game.

Don't get me wrong though, the games made under EA are not bad (at least the ones I played) and I think they're good in their own right, but something about Papyrus just hits differently for me.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210726_070648_com.google.android.gm.jpg

Bought tickets to travel for the first time to Brazil. Will be nice to spend 1 month in the brazilian summer as opposed to northern german winter.

I'll be staying with my gf's family for Christmas and probably 1 or 2 weeks after that and then travel north. Still deciding between JalapĆ£o (oasis in the middle of the desert) or Rio de Janeiro coastline.

Gonna be sweet!

Back