Sony Fuels More PS5 Rumors With Patent Filing for Touchscreen Display Controller

They should just scrap the touch screen not add a display, remove the tilt functions as they are just an annoyance when required in some games and have analogue sticks that the rubber doesn't peel off from and have trigger buttons that don't break. Basically just an improved DS3, there was nothing wrong with them as far as controllers go.
As much as I absolutely love DualShocks, DS3 clings on original design where it really doesn't need to. Namely - convex triggers. I can't remember myself ever using these without my fingers slipping off of them whenever I "floor" them. I have similar qualms about older DualShocks' convex analog sticks, which also tend to get a bit too hard to get a grip of despite the grainy rubber surface (PS Vita did convex sticks' surface right though - even though it's not grainy, it's decently sticky).

Oh, and DS3 had G-sensors even before it had rumble motors (Sixaxis, anyone?)

Clean PS2 Slims run something like $50 USD at most used game stores these days. I’d say that’s the best bet, unless you want to hunt down an original fat PS3.
As someone who rents a small room-sized apartment and has a fear of having to move out elsewhere (which I've already had to do in the past), I have qualms about buying old consoles just to play games for them. I don't want to pack an entire bag dedicated to gaming hardware in case if I'd like to move out.
Currently I have to stick to PS2 Slim just so I have a way to play PS2 games (muh GT4). Considering how PS TV almost perfectly covers my PS1 needs (except NFS3 sound issues and neGcon support) and how my telly doesn't handle 240p signal well, I could really use a console that can handle PS2 games well and offer extra functionality of its own. Fat PS3 sounds like an obvious choice, right? Sure, except it's a heavy gargantuan lard of a console with heating issues (which can lead to YLoD). And PS3's PS2 software emulation, if I'd go with Slim models, has its issues.
I'd like to know, however, how well PS4 handles PS2 games. While PS4 Slim is still considerably larger than PS2 Slim (still holding my hopes high for PS4 Super Slim), I find it a likeable enough option for a PS2 Slim replacement.

Can't they just make an ordinary controller for ordinary people like myself? They added a touchpad, a speaker, a light bar and a share button to the DS4, but the only actually useful feature in my opinion is the share button.
As someone who doesn't use social media or online features much, share button is the feature I'd personally be the most happy to get rid of. I'd say it's the most usable due to how sharing features are the console's own functionality rather than that of games. Considering how much games are cross-platform nowadays and have to be equally playable on every platform, it's hard to design them around gimmicks of every current gen controller.
While the rear lightbar is really not too useful outside of VR games, I believe v2's additional lightbar on top of the touchpad could see more use, such as health bar or rev counter. Same for touchpad itself - it really is a nifty feature that's just a bit too hard to integrate into platform-universal controls (also, as someone who uses DS4 with PC games too, I find the touchpad a decent substitute for a mouse whenever menus rely on mouse usage) The speaker... ehhh, that definitely can count as a questionable design choice tbh, although I'd keep the headphone jack functionality, so I wouldn't need to get the headphone wire extender and drag it all the way to my telly (which is quite a bit away from my chair).

Real, disc-using, not-repurchased-download
While I can see this coming for PS2 games since DVDs are still around, good luck convincing Sony to put a CD laser into their next console.

Compatibility with PS3 and PS4 might require quite a considerable juice to emulate. Or you could just stuff original (or equivalent, like in case with late PS2 Slim models using a PowerPC processor instead of PS1's MIPS CPU as its IO chip) components, but that would boost the console's price considerably, without benefiting much to the console's actual oomph. And we all know how fat PS3 has been received at launch because of that, and what was the aftermath.

Seems Xbox isn't the only thing Sony is competing. Sounds like the next PS prioritises a touchscreen mechanic like the Switch, but the patent's for an accessory that prioritises their DualShock design in the form of a single-piece controller.

By competing Nintendo, Sony must be planning to become the neutral option for customers by providing both a high-spec console and a hanheld. How they'll execute this format for current game developers to publish on the next PS will be intriguing. They can be two distinct consoles of the same generation. Would crossplay releases be mandatory to publishers to maintain duality? Must publishers release an graphically optimised version to run on a handheld/DS?

It sounds costly and I think Sony will compromise somewhat to achieve that. This was a theory anyway.

I can't see this being of any use. I had it in the Dreamcast and I never ever used that function. Why oh why does all the stuff need a bloody screen? If you are concentrating on what is happening on screen, you now also will have to check your DS4 display...Utterly useless imo. Make a solid controller instead and have proper backwards compatibillity.

Don't drive and text could also be applied to don't game and watch your controller screen. It should be fined :lol:

By the way, I honestly wonder where people got the idea that the controller in the patent is supposed to also be a handheld console? Perhaps I didn't read the article well, but I honestly didn't see any implications of it being something more than a controller with a touchscreen.

I mean, it looks cool.

But does it actually justify an increase in pricing? $70 dollars for a controller isn't cheap. I don't feel ripped off, but it isn't cheap either. But is a screen on a controller something that makes playing games better, or is it just a gadget a la "we did because we could, now pay up".

And how will this affect battery life? Playing wireless is a great thing. I always despise the moment when I have to hook it up to keep playing. Will this just move us back closer to the PS2 era of being confined to sit at the console or have cables running though the entire living room? Hm.

Considering the technology that goes into video game controllers like the DS4 with touch sensitivity, tilt axis gyros, good reliability (flaky rubber joysticks not withstanding) I don't think it's unreasonable at all. Especially since it will cost me 249.99 just to replace the glass not screen* on my cellphone lol.
What about the fact they have made at least twice the amount of controllers as PS4s? i.e probably 100 million controllers, mass produced. I cant see why they need to be so exspenive.

If Sony goes ahead with this I'll be pleased, after Nintendo ditched dual screens from the Wii U to the Switch. Even just the minimum implementation of a map or inventory on the second screen helps improve the flow of a game, not having to pause or toggle menus to check one thing for one moment. It also allows for unique gameplay ideas like in Affordable Space Adventures, one of my favorite Wii U games that is only possible with a controller like the Wii U Gamepad.

And how will this affect battery life? Playing wireless is a great thing. I always despise the moment when I have to hook it up to keep playing. Will this just move us back closer to the PS2 era of being confined to sit at the console or have cables running though the entire living room? Hm.
I'm glad the DS4 can still be used on a cord, instead of having a dock or a battery pack that has to be removed to charge it or something, because I sit in front of the console and screen and 99% of the time there's no reason to screw around with the inconvenience of battery power -- those XB360 controllers with the AA pack in particular were a "one step forward, two steps backward" idea.

Considering the technology that goes into video game controllers like the DS4 with touch sensitivity, tilt axis gyros, good reliability (flaky rubber joysticks not withstanding) I don't think it's unreasonable at all. Especially since it will cost me 249.99 just to replace the glass not screen* on my cellphone lol.
In theory but the cost of a DS4 with it's "tech" is not that high and was likely recouped long ago.
The current market trend (big box and electronics) is everyone is super competitive on the big ticket price and they make it up on the peripherals.
It's the Gillette razor business model all over again.
I can buy a replacement LCD for my cell phone for $30, the DS one would likely be less than that but the retail markup will be at least 10x that, guaranteed.
Having said that, I don't think they will actually make these.

Back