Sony Reveals PlayStation 5 Console

I mean it can't be that bad.

Anyone want a 24K gold PS5?
Estimated price to be about 8,000$

Such a terrible Photoshop and CGI job :lol:

Hmmmm how long after release will we hear of faulty units, overheating, blue,green,pink,yellow,orange or whatever lights of death....hmmmm

From looking at the design I don't have much confidence it's going to be reliable, that odd shape looks like such a heat trap.

And because it doesn't follow a tower design like the Series X it's likely using a traditional cooling setup which is so archaic by today's standards.

From looking at the design I don't have much confidence it's going to be reliable, that odd shape looks like such a heat trap.

And because it doesn't follow a tower design like the Series X it's likely using a traditional cooling setup which is so archaic by today's standards.
Mr negatively is being naughty and absent minded and not remembering Mark Cerny stating emphasis was placed on cooling. It's in the tech reveal. :P

Mr negatively is being naughty and absent minded and not remembering Mark Cerny stating emphasis was placed on cooling. It's in the tech reveal. :P

Like what they say means anything :lol:, every generation they say oh look at our revolutionary new cooling system and lo and behold there are numerous reliability issues, usually stemming from heat. They are hardly going to say cooling isn't a focus or theirs knowing that its a constant issue and people will nod approvingly at hearing what they want to hear, good old marketing at work.

Judging by the design it almost certainly uses a blower with a traditional flow-path and blowers aren't great, we have had decades of blowers now and they aren't suitable as a sole solution to cool such powerful systems as shown by the jet engine noises the last few generations have made. Also it's believed the PS5 is overly large to mitigate heat issues, that sounds like a botch to me. Good design doesn't need extra space just to air the place, it screams poor cooling solution.

I guess we will see when we finally see the internals, I don't know why Sony is so coy about revealing them.

Like what they say means anything :lol:, every generation they say oh look at our revolutionary new cooling system and lo and behold there are numerous reliability issues, usually stemming from heat. They are hardly going to say cooling isn't a focus or theirs knowing that its a constant issue and people will nod approvingly at hearing what they want to hear, good old marketing at work.

Judging by the design it almost certainly uses a blower with a traditional flow-path and blowers aren't great, we have had decades of blowers now and they aren't suitable as a sole solution to cool such powerful systems as shown by the jet engine noises the last few generations have made. Also it's believed the PS5 is overly large to mitigate heat issues, that sounds like a botch to me. Good design doesn't need extra space just to air the place, it screams poor cooling solution.

I guess we will see when we finally see the internals, I don't know why Sony is so coy about revealing them.

Who says it's got extra space in it? It's as big as it needs to be. Maybe it has a giant heat sinc? Who knows?

PS4 hasn't had reliability issues, just noise ones with the Pro. it's never been even remotely like the red ring of death and yellow light of death situation that happened in previous gen. (R.I.P original fat - I miss the backwards compatibility)

SONY is allegedly ramping up production to 10mil for the first year, and aiming for 170mil total units sold. Which is ambitious, and shows they really want their users to move to next gen.

What I don't like though, is the reported 5 year planned lifespan of the PS5. To me this means they might not do a "Pro" version, which is good, IMO, but that could also mean that they're saving the next upgrade for the PS6, if they even call it that, or if they even make any more consoles.

Source (regarding the lifespan and total sales target)

I'm personally still on the fence until they release all details regarding backwards compatibility. I would really like to see some form of upgrade system to a PS5-version of a game, and not be limited to PS4 parameters on a PS5.

I know Microsoft is supposedly implementing this, and I also know for some new games releasing, game devs will give you a free upgrade if you bought their game on current gen.

What I don't like though, is the reported 5 year planned lifespan of the PS5. To me this means they might not do a "Pro" version, which is good, IMO, but that could also mean that they're saving the next upgrade for the PS6, if they even call it that, or if they even make any more consoles.

Latest "patent" hints at a pro version and it could be released along side with the standard version.
When that was shown Xbox changed their slogan from the Most powerful console to the Most powerful xbox.
Meaning that the PS5 pro will be even stronger than the Xbox?

Which then makes the jump to PS5 easier and quicker if a Pro version is released with the standard version.

There has also been some hints of 2 SoC, "upgrade" parts and a few other things which could mean that 5 years could be initial with the potential to be lasting longer with the upgrades?

I mean its been designed specifically for effective cooling.

SONY is allegedly ramping up production to 10mil for the first year, and aiming for 170mil total units sold. Which is ambitious, and shows they really want their users to move to next gen.

Source (regarding the lifespan and total sales target)

I'm personally still on the fence until they release all details regarding backwards compatibility. I would really like to see some form of upgrade system to a PS5-version of a game, and not be limited to PS4 parameters on a PS5.

I know Microsoft is supposedly implementing this, and I also know for some new games releasing, game devs will give you a free upgrade if you bought their game on current gen.

170million total over 5 years would need an unbelievabley good price point.

Will the PS5 use liquid metal for thermal compound than thermal paste?
New Patent could hint that.

Starting to sound a lot like a big PC with the way things are.
Price will probably be high though.

When you make posts like this why aren't you including links to support what you're saying?

Doesn't liquid metal need to be reapplied rather frequently? Not ideal for a device that's (probably) never going to be taken apart.

Aren't all these highly touted cooling methods basically the same principles of good old heat pipes? Reminds me of when MS were slightly overhyping things when they said the One X was 'liquid cooled' when it was just another vapour chamber (aka heat pipe) job. Let me know when there is a real OEM AIO liquid cooler inside a console :lol:

Consoles are pretty much just repackaged PCs anyway and have been for a while, so if they can use technology from PC land then its no real surprise.

I feel the price is going to surprise people.

Liquid metal? :nervous:

Who's making the new console? Skynet? :odd:
20200816_202622.jpg

I haven't had cooling issues on any of Playstation launch consoles. Which of the Sony consoles had the issues?
It isn't cooling. It's the fan on the Pro version that does a good impression of a jet engine.

The launch PS3 fat suffered from YLOD caused by solder cracks. It took a long time for it to show up though.

I don't think the prices for either have been released yet, only guestimated. It's not uncommon for companies to use guestimated prices in their systems when the load the products into them until an official price is announced. Doesn't mean those won't be the prices, but it does mean there's a good chance this rumoured price isn't from the horses mouth.

If the PS5 does release $100-200 cheaper than the X then I can see it being quite one sided from a sales figures standpoint. But we will find out soon enough, there's not that much of the year left.

I don't think the prices for either have been released yet, only guestimated. It's not uncommon for companies to use guestimated prices in their systems when the load the products into them until an official price is announced. Doesn't mean those won't be the prices, but it does mean there's a good chance this rumoured price isn't from the horses mouth.

If the PS5 does release $100-200 cheaper than the X then I can see it being quite one sided from a sales figures standpoint. But we will find out soon enough, there's not that much of the year left.

Yeah I agree. Just quite interesting that the placeholder/rumoured leaks are quite a way apart. Will be interesting to see how close or far they are.

I had to turn off ABP and UOrigin extensions in chrome for the form to appear...ugh. I saw this last night and didn't think to turn it off :dunce:

O well, I'm still gonna buy two, one to mod at a later date :)

Jerome

Still waiting for Sony to announce the price & launch date of the PS5! Microsoft did it so come out now and let it go. :)

While still waiting.
Can we still confirm that the diskless version has same specs as the disk version?
If so then that may still help PS go over with XSS.

Rumor has it that PS5 price has been reduced to 499, some say it will sneak in at 449.
But still waiting on the official announcement which hopefully comes next week so pre-orders can happen.

Back