Stop Quitting the race if you're the host

• Thread starter bill1250
  • 477 comments
Whatever happened to "the taking part that counts"? I'm getting cheesed off by people constantly quiting at the Expert Suzuka event because they couldn't drive properly (going at corners way too fast, lose control then quit). I sometimes get punted off but I take it up the chin and race on. Either way we all get money whatever position we finish, and a finished event is for me a step closer to getting that F2007 (at 900,000 at the mo).

They should set up some kudos system and reward those who hosted games sucessfully such as priorty bandwidth compared to those who have a awful host tally.

Whatever happened to "the taking part that counts"? I'm getting cheesed off by people constantly quiting at the Expert Suzuka event because they couldn't drive properly (going at corners way too fast, lose control then quit). I sometimes get punted off but I take it up the chin and race on. Either way we all get money whatever position we finish, and a finished event is for me a step closer to getting that F2007 (at 900,000 at the mo).

They should set up some kudos system and reward those who hosted games sucessfully such as priorty bandwidth compared to those who have a awful host tally.

Good idea, could work well for prologue. Until we get private lobbies these are the annoying problems we will have to " take up the chin ". I remeber having these same issues with my Dreamcast being online /jk/.:crazy:

We need an update like COD4 got, which makes it so if the host quits hosting goes to the next best player.

Host migration. It's alleged to be on its way.

I am not sure what you mean by nieve to your critisism. I know full well what acceptable OLR behaviour is, I was racing when the rules were being written.

Yes. You claimed to be iLinking and playing LANs with GT back in 1998. It's still an interesting claim. One we may revisit later.

Can you tell me when, during the writing of OLR behaviour rules, the passage "You can drive into someone if they did something wrong first" was first penned?

He took issue with me saying that I got revenge on a guy who repeatedly (about 8 times by that point) crashed the race when he spun or just fell behind.

I took issue with you smacking into drivers at all. This is cheating.

I find such behaviour beyond redemption but then famine came along and started to defend it. He and others here think crashing a race so nobody can race at all is a good thing, when bashing a guy who has consistantly denied 15 players the right to race is very, very bad. Thats the whole story right there.

No, it's what you read.

Sphinx and I were talking about drivers who deliberately crash into other drivers. You leapt in trying to claim that in fact it's okay to cheat if someone quits a race they can't win. At no point were we talking about people who quit because they can't win - so for you to think that either of us were defending that behaviour requires quite selective reading or staggering levels of intelligence.

To continue to pretend this, when it has been repeatedly pointed out to you otherwise (and I've stated that people who quit purely because they can't win are also cheaters) compounds your cheating with lying.

But nobody is talking about bashing?

Apart from the two people you verbally attacked you mean?

I am talking about hosts quiting races because they are losing. Its even the in the title of this thread

That's fantastic. You'll note that the point brought up as the thread developed regarded drivers crashing into others on purpose - like you do. Sphinx and I both pointed out that we'd have no issue with a host quitting the game if he was crashed into. You chose to attack that point, but pretend that we were talking about something else.

I bashed a player

Then you are a cheat.

Incidentally, what happened when you drove into the host? Did he quit, by any chance?

I wouldn't worry about it. We all have lapses in... err...

Wait, what?
Sorry, my most recent example was the night before that post when I was trying to get started on playing through the Metal Gear Solid trilogy (4 isn't out yet, so it is still technically a trilogy) and kept asking me to do stuff before going to bed. Then kept asking me when I was going to bed. And all I could think about was whether I could crawl into a vent where she wouldn't see me playing my games.

Anyway, the details all need to be ironed out first. It's not too hard to spot the difference between accidental and deliberate, and reputation for clean racing and reputation for dirty racing. I doubt anyone would be judged solely on one race, unless it was clear-cut.
Just curious. I know I have seen, and been responsible for, my fair share of mis-timed accidents in F1:CE and Warhawk and as some people can over react I didn't want myself, or even others, to face GTP consequences outside of GT5P, especially if it was an accident.

@foolkiller....ah you got that kind of woman too he?...haha..lol.
this happened to me too several times...i am racing online 100% focussed on the race,than she askes me if i want a drink!!supernice of her but when i than say:later hunn(meening :NOT NOW!!).....well,than the garbage allso has to be taken out immediately!!!!.....and (on topic..)this will lead in most cases i loose controll over the wheel a bit and a crash occures...now,how do i explain this to the unfortunate guy i than maybe bumb into??
he will be pissed off...and hes right!!now this is just one example where things can go wrong...i had a superrace last night with a dude who raced clean and smooth for 30minutes,than suddenly he whas all over the place like he had a flat tyre or something...and than he whas gone forever!!surely something was up and he had too leave,but his psn name whas so weird(nfhr87464nbcj''.ht.....or something like that)that i couldnt send him a pm....
so when private hosting comes out,finally we can avoid people to get mad not knowing the reason for a unintentional crash!!!
spyrrari.
Yeah, this kind of thing is why I feel that voice chat needs to be the next big upgrade. Even in a private room you need this. In reference to host's quitting out, once in Warhawk Land Sea Air was hosting and had to go, but was able to tell us all beforehand that he had to because of his girlfriend. Sure we made jokes, but it wasn't sudden and no one was angry.

With the current setup now a guy can quit, not realizing he's host and then everyone would be angry, but if someone says, "Hey, guys, I have to go because of (insert non-gaming, real-word annoyances here)." The majority of people will understand.

Another option with voice chat could be that if a known host gets punted cheaply he can see if everyone else wants to keep trying or quit out so they can get rid of the cheater.

Famine, the sheer context of your signature originaly presented by Duke brought a tear to my eye :D

You claimed to be iLinking and playing LANs with GT back in 1998. It's still an interesting claim. One we may revisit later.

[/color][/b]

Why not now? And you are making things up again, you do seem to like doing that. I said I have been participating in OLR since '98, not doing lans and iLinks since then. If you knew anything about GT you would know there was no option to iLink or lan back in GT in '98. I think the first iLink I went too was sometime in 2002 maybe. Really not sure. Also not sure why you care. Its hardly relevant to your crashing of peoples races.

Can you tell me when, during the writing of OLR behaviour rules, the passage "You can drive into someone if they did something wrong first" was first penned?[/color][/b]

[/color][/b]

First tell me where it says that you have the right to stop people from racing that have no interest in your rules?

I took issue with you smacking into drivers at all. This is cheating.

[/color][/b]

I take issue with you claiming its ok to deliberately crash a race.

No, it's what you read.

Sphinx and I were talking about drivers who deliberately crash into other drivers. You leapt in trying to claim that in fact it's okay to cheat if someone quits a race they can't win. At no point were we talking about people who quit because they can't win - so for you to think that either of us were defending that behaviour requires quite selective reading or staggering levels of intelligence.

To continue to pretend this, when it has been repeatedly pointed out to you otherwise (and I've stated that people who quit purely because they can't win are also cheaters) compounds your cheating with lying.

[/color][/b]

I've never said its ok to cheat, again you are making things up. I however make the distinction between cheating and driving into someone who is cheating because they are cheating. You claim to only be a quitter when everyone else is cheating anyway. Well I have only driven into that guy who was consistently cheating. There is no difference.

Sphinx and I both pointed out that we'd have no issue with a host quitting the game if he was crashed into. You chose to attack that point, but pretend that we were talking about something else.[/color][/b]
[/color][/b]

I was talking about exactly that. You think its ok to not only quit your race but force everyone to quit if things don't go your way. Its childish and its cheating. Sure what I did was childish also, however the race was not going to be completed anyway as there were faster drivers than the host already in the lead, and it was a little stress relief. I am quite sure everyone else here understands this, apart from the sycophantic types who hunt places like this.

I know you will quite childishly keep calling me a basher as you have been doing. But as more and more people here race with me (raced with Sphinx the other night, though be really held me up I got by as cleanly as I could), you will seem more and more foolish. Just keep that in mind.

Why not now? And you are making things up again, you do seem to like doing that. I said I have been participating in OLR since '98, not doing lans and iLinks since then. If you knew anything about GT you would know there was no option to iLink or lan back in GT in '98. I think the first iLink I went too was sometime in 2002 maybe. Really not sure. Also not sure why you care. Its hardly relevant to your crashing of peoples races.
It is relevant to a mod as he appears to have thought you meant you were doing online racing in GT1, which you cannot and everyone knows it. As knowingly stating false information is against the rules of a board , and that is what he, a mod, thought you were doing it is absolutely relevant to him.

But as you have now clearly stated you did not mean GT1 then it is now irrelevant. Let's move on.

I've never said its ok to cheat, again you are making things up. I however make the distinction between cheating and driving into someone who is cheating because they are cheating. You claim to only be a quitter when everyone else is cheating anyway. Well I have only driven into that guy who was consistently cheating. There is no difference.
So, you get back at a cheater by cheating? If a guy punches you in the face and you punch him back you have both committed assault. Purposely bashing makes you a basher, no excuses.

Besides, by doing it back it only encourages them to try to start a full-fledged demolition derby. Best thing is to ignore them.

And as I don't have the game I have so far not given my opinion on this topic, but from my preliminary Prologue ownership standpoint I think that as long as you are assigned hosting duties by the software quitting out for any reason is just ruining things for everyone else. I also think hitting people with the intent to wreck them on purpose, no matter what your excuse, is cheating and it makes you a basher.

Now, that said, when private races are available and you can willingly host your own race then feel free to set up the rule that any bashing is unacceptable and the race will end immediately. Or you can set up the rule that if anyone sees a basher they should immediately bash them back because you refuse to end the race for any reason.

My question for those who think a host quitting after getting bashed is acceptable, do you also quit the moment you see someone else get bashed, or is the cheater only ruining the game for everyone if they do it to you?

There: I have taken both sides of this fence and until I play it myself and am convinced of otherwise or we get private races I think you are both wrong on how you choose to deal with cheaters.

Now, that said, when private races are available and you can willingly host your own race then feel free to set up the rule that any bashing is unacceptable and the race will end immediately.

That's how it will be done if I have my way. The host will not only host the connection, it is hoped they will also be in charge of the private arena, what goes on during the race, and take any action they consider necessary to keep everything in order (including stopping the race) . That is how it's been done for well over two years now when racing GT4 Online (KAI).

What is so laughable about this discussion is that those here who are currently prepared to lynch a host who quits a race because of stupidity on the race track, will in the future applaud their actions when they get some idiot taking them out in a private room. In fact, I can envisage them demanding it.

Hi Guys,

I am newbie to online racing and have a few questions regarding this topic:

- What do you think about people (including hosts) dropping out a few seconds before the race starts (I guess because they are not happy with their position in the starting grid)?

- What is the story when a race starts and then one after the other drops out until it is just me (obviously being the host) left in the race?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I am newbie to online racing and have a few questions regarding this topic:

- What do you think about people (including hosts) dropping out a few seconds before the race starts (I guess because they are not happy with their position in the starting grid)?

I've not encountered that before. I guess it's pretty sad if they do that just because they dislike where they are on the grid. 👎

- What is the story when a race starts and then one after the other drops out until it is just me (obviously being the host) left in the race?

It's a sad story.

I've actually been in that situation before, kind of strange when it happened. I just quit the race and went looking for another one.

Just my $0.02:

Stop bashing into cars and stop quitting the game if someone bumps into you and you're the host, it's really that simple.

"BE CONSIDERATE TO OTHER DRIVERS

In online race events, penalty-inflicting behaviour should be avoided, as should unsportsmanlike behaviour such as quitting races halfway through. Cars in online races that move unexpectedly or behave erratically may be experiencing problems, and be temporarily unaware of cars near them. Keeping your distance from vehicles behaving like this is a good way of avoiding accidents."

Now everyone kiss and make up, let's hold hands and sing kumbaya.

No no no no!
Car's having trouble (network or whatever) are easily identified, they hop around in very strange ways. I can see the difference between someone having trouble, simply because they never hit me!!!!! and someone who's in my draft and using me as a break.

Something else, how do you guys feel about people being overtaken by faster cars on a straight banging you sideways, so it's not blocking, which is allowed, but deliberately trying to run you of the track. In real live racing that behavior would be honnered with disqualification, but online in GT, nothing seems to happen, no penalty nothing. I applaud people blocking me while I'm behind them, that's good driving, and looking in the mirror, but as soon as I'm next to them I hate it if they try to push me aside.

Actually I believe in most cases that would be classified as self defense.
If he punches you once and stops and then you punch back what are you defending against?

Something else, how do you guys feel about people being overtaken by faster cars on a straight banging you sideways, so it's not blocking, which is allowed, but deliberately trying to run you of the track. In real live racing that behavior would be honnered with disqualification, but online in GT, nothing seems to happen, no penalty nothing. I applaud people blocking me while I'm behind them, that's good driving, and looking in the mirror, but as soon as I'm next to them I hate it if they try to push me aside.
Depends on the bang. Look at the end of last year's Sebring race. Tons of bumping. NASCAR is full of rubbing and light taps.

If it obviously intended to wreck you then that is bad. But we have handful of bumping threads already discussing this.

Why not now? And you are making things up again, you do seem to like doing that. I said I have been participating in OLR since '98, not doing lans and iLinks since then.

Hahaha you are so off on the wrong track matey!

Some of us who have been racing this game for years have been spoilt with racing against other drivers online with Kai and at LAN events in a nice Gentlemanly race enviroment, we knew who our opposition was and we know they will race in a respectable manner.

Well I have been doing the same in GT since '98.

Mr P says we have been racing online with Kai and at LAN events for years. You say "I have been doing the same in GT since '98" in direct response to lines you have quoted.

If you knew anything about GT you would know there was no option to iLink or lan back in GT in '98.

Exactly why I brought it up.

Its hardly relevant to your crashing of peoples races.

Remind me when I've done that.

Oh wait, you're lying again in order to make some kind of point.

First tell me where it says that you have the right to stop people from racing that have no interest in your rules?

Wait, it needs to be written in some form of rights act now?

You're laughable, you really are. You exact pathetic, petty revenge and claim other people are cheats.

I take issue with you claiming its ok to deliberately crash a race.

No, really?

It's a pity you didn't bother to read what was being said before you waded in on a tangent.

I've never said its ok to cheat, again you are making things up.

You tried to justify your actions when you drove into someone. You admitted driving into someone on purpose. You are a cheat.

You claim to only be a quitter when everyone else is cheating anyway.

Again, please point out where I have ever stated I have quit a race.

Good luck with that endeavour. When you fail, you will desist from making things up.

Here's some facts for you, which have been clearly stated in this thread:
1. I say it's not ethical to quit a race purely because you cannot win (regardless of host status). You appear to agree, but argue anyway and claim I didn't say that despite clear evidence otherwise.
2. I say it's not ethical to drive into someone for any reason. You appear to disagree and have crashed into someone on purpose before.
3. I say it is ethical to quit a race if you are repeatedly driven into by cheats. You appear to disagree.

Any facts beyond these are currently unproven. I'll add one though - I've never, ever quit an online match of any variety. So I'll be waiting on an apology for the lie you made up in your post.

Well I have only driven into that guy who was consistently cheating. There is no difference.

If he was quitting because people kept driving into him there's a huge difference. The difference being that he probably wanted to use his bandwidth (you know, that stuff we pay for) for clean races.

If he was quitting because he couldn't win races then you're right, there's no difference between his cheating and your own.

You didn't answer the question, I noted. What did the host do when you deliberately crashed into him? Did he quit again, by any chance? Wouldn't that mean that your actions directly lead to the race ending early again? Making you responsible for "crashing peoples races" (sic)?

I know you will quite childishly keep calling me a basher as you have been doing. But as more and more people here race with me (raced with Sphinx the other night, though be really held me up I got by as cleanly as I could), you will seem more and more foolish. Just keep that in mind.

You admitted to deliberately driving into someone. This makes you a dirty driver.

Your words.

I am beyond caring about what you say famine. I dont like to be called a cheat by anyone, but there is no reasoning with you. So go ahead and ban me from online racing and see the limits of any power you think you have. In fact please do it. Tell everyone who reads this that they are under your control and have to obay your will and not allow me to race. Whatever the result I am sure it will be amusing.

Feel free to call me a cheat and whatever else you like. In the end it really should not bother me because in reality you are no one. You have never done anything of note in online racing and I doubt you ever will. Its laughable that you question me who has built a reputation for being a fast and more importantly clean driver with some of the best players the world over. I have held records with over half a million names behind me, competed in the cybergames and other global tournaments.

You as a self imposed authority on OLR, what have you done? Attended a few lans? Won a few time trials again 30 other people? Maybe not even that? Its all nothing and I'd bet you have very little experience in actual OLR.

If you ever grow up then actually race me to see for yourself how I race. Till then have fun trying to control everything. I am sure it will go well for you.

Its laughable that you question me who has built a reputation for being a fast and more importantly clean driver with some of the best players the world over. I have held records with over half a million names behind me, competed in the cybergames and other global tournaments.

Bah, I did all that and more, thus I'm better than you. :rolleyes:

I am beyond caring about what you say famine. I dont like to be called a cheat by anyone, but there is no reasoning with you. So go ahead and ban me from online racing and see the limits of any power you think you have. In fact please do it. Tell everyone who reads this that they are under your control and have to obay your will and not allow me to race. Whatever the result I am sure it will be amusing.

Feel free to call me a cheat and whatever else you like. In the end it really should not bother me because in reality you are no one. You have never done anything of note in online racing and I doubt you ever will. Its laughable that you question me who has built a reputation for being a fast and more importantly clean driver with some of the best players the world over. I have held records with over half a million names behind me, competed in the cybergames and other global tournaments.

You as a self imposed authority on OLR, what have you done? Attended a few lans? Won a few time trials again 30 other people? Maybe not even that? Its all nothing and I'd bet you have very little experience in actual OLR.

If you ever grow up then actually race me to see for yourself how I race. Till then have fun trying to control everything. I am sure it will go well for you.

Oh please, spare us the 'I'm faster and better than you' statements. :dopey:

We've heard them all before, nasanu. *Yawn*

OK I just spent over 2 hours racing online, & finished 2 damn races!!!

These were almost all full 16 car fields & we were constantly kicked off by the host quiting, many times in the 3rd lap!!
Most of the drivers were trying to have a good race, there was a couple of bashers but most in a 16 car field were just trying to race & we all got screwed!

Here's my take on things,
Are you going to quit even if your the host because you get punted off & don't want to "waste your time" because you've lost so much track position?
Then stay offline to race!!

IMO if you are the host you have a responsibility to all the other drivers, if you get crashed tough, get back on track & race or park on the side of the road & get a drink while everyone else finishes the race, don't ruin it for everyone else!

If you quit when you are the host you are a loser, cheat, quitter & an A-Hole.

It seems that people dont understand that by quitting a race when people are "cheating", you are in some way preventing and discouraging people from doing it. Like I said before, as it is now, there is no way of punishing or preventing people from driving unfair. I know that not all people in a race is driving unfair, but it will most likely affect everyone.

In most races I have been in, we start of with 12 people and after a couple of laps, there might be 5-6 people left. The ones that dont want to drive with cheaters quit and find another game. There might be some clean drivers left, but most of the time, I see the rest of the players all trying to take out eachother and it becomes especially noticable on the last lap. On the last lap, people have no sense of clean driving and the ram and try to take out the other players just to win.

It may seem like a crude way to stop the cheaters now, but it is the best way we have as of now. And encouraging people to drive like assholes by letting them continue to race and gain several position is not something I am willing to do. There might be some innocent racers being cut out of the race, but as I said before. They have most likely been affected by the cheaters already.

Damn GT-R and Lotus drivers its for you!!!! i play at Fuji 650 i have a great connection and in 99 % i host! IF YOU !DAMN IT TAKE! PUSH MY GREY VIPER I QUIT REMEMBER THIS! Viper extremly hard to drive! And i always on 3-1 place! Be careful if you wonna play at good host! If you play normal i play fair too!

Quitting is really no better than ramming people, It's all bad sportsmanship however you look at it. Quitting when you are the host is just unacceptable, no matter what other people have done to you.

If you can't accept being rammed (and like me) host a large number of games, then reduce your bandwidth so you dont host games and end up ruining other's fun by quitting mid race. If I quit every game where some moron nudged me into a barrier or did otherwise stupid things, I'd probably finish less than 20% of the games I started.

"I'm not going to win so I'll quit" is a pretty poor attitude really.

I can be at 16-12 place and dont quit if all of these is fair! But when someone use you how a wall...... Just try to drive normal! Didnt ram when car faster on slipstreme its not good! Sorry for Bad Eng

Clearly seems alot of people have different views on the matter lol. Hosting the race due to a fast connection seems a good idea for others to cope in the race but as they can quit and stop the whole race is another problem.

As people have mentioned the host trasnfer if it's going to be implemented in the full game should sort this out.

Or typically people just join the race if you quit, you quit and doesnt affect any other players.

Its a trial game for people to play, people get annoyed and quit but even for a tester they shouldn't of made it that way for people to ruin the race, the point system is going to be cleared up hopefully but not taken away.

There is much room for improvement for the game and lets just hope they get it all perfect for the full game.

Back