Stuttering on Sierra. Is this common ?

• Thread starter turdhat
  • 33 comments
United States
Pleasure Ridge Park, Kentucky
Is this common ? I have not played much recently and decided to check the DLC out. This is the only track and place this appears to happen. Any suggestions ?

I don't have any problems when using the practice mode, but it does stutter sometimes during the tine trial events themselves.

It seems to happen particularly when it loads the next batch of cars or at least that's what it seems to my layman's eyes
I assume that's because it's having to draw 500,000+ polygons on each car plus however many polygons are visible at the moment and compute lighting data and adapt tessellation for cars that have it enabled. It's incredible that the PS3 is even capable of this at all, even with the occasional framerate drop.

I assume that's because it's having to draw 500,000+ polygons on each car plus however many polygons are visible at the moment and compute lighting data and adapt tessellation for cars that have it enabled. It's incredible that the PS3 is even capable of this at all, even with the occasional framerate drop.
The cars are not 500k polygons on the track that's only photomode. Can't remember the number in game but it's far, far less.

I've found that disabling the internet connectivity to the PS3 console improves framerate and decreases stuttering for many numerous PS3 games. GT6 in particular seems to have major degraded performance when connected to the internet due to having to connect and sync to Sony's and PDI's servers.

Also, rendering the game in a lower resolution, such as 720p instead of 1080p can help reduce stuttering at the cost of reduced visual clarity.

And compute the physics, and render the sound, and buffer the memory, and... it's not that incredible when you've acknowledged that every electronic device in existence does such things regardless of age and hardware configuration.

Last edited:
It's likely due to the PS3's terrible lack of RAM.

Ewe. :P

Seriously, though, yes, I have tried out this course for the first time in the last few days and did get the occasional jitter a couple of times. I still have to complete this event so will keep a closer eye on pixels acting the goat.

I never found the framerate on Sierra to be any worse than Bathurst frankly. In fact I think Bathurst is worse. There were also framerate issues in GT5 so it's not like its a new thing.

They still use LOD on the cars. As Johnny says it's not 500k, and whatever it is its only when the cars are close. On Sierra you almost never have more than three cars in close proximity, which alleviates a lot of that load.

That's also probably the reason for the ubiquitous extremely spaced out rolling starts; it's graphically much easier on the system and doesn't expose a technical weak point as much.

The large number of iterations of the PS3 console hardware, plus the different ways the game data ends up distributed on the hard drive, must have their effects. On my setup, I've found that glitches/jumps happen at predictable and consistent points. In my case I have always have an issue on Ascari on the tight left-hander just before the right-hander back onto the start straight…As well as near the end of the descent to the long back straight on Bathurst. Never fails to stutter. Nothing similar on Sierra for me but when I quit that track, back to the main interface, all the icons have to reload, so it's clearly chewed up all the RAM to a load it in the first place.

They have hit the PS3 limit one says.

But are we sure that no one would have managed this without the stuttering? Are PD perfect developers for the PS3?

For me the stuttering isn't a big problem, it only happens a handful of times during a run, and it's not a big stutter. But I'm sure it could have been avoided.

I have found that I have severe stuttering with shadows on several courses. Matterhorn seems to be the worst, with Sierra a close second. It only seemed to become noticeable after the last update, however many months ago that was.

They have hit the PS3 limit one says.

But are we sure that no one would have managed this without the stuttering? Are PD perfect developers for the PS3?

For me the stuttering isn't a big problem, it only happens a handful of times during a run, and it's not a big stutter. But I'm sure it could have been avoided.
Sure, they can. But compromises are parts of a games design when balancing graphics/tech and performance (framerate and frame timing).

Forza 3, 4 (using these examples because comparable consoles, etc.) keep a locked super solid 60fps. How? Well, it forces 720p. It forces preset time settings, no weather. Even the smaller things matter. Car? Well, the back seat is never rendered. Look behind you and you see nothing. GT5, and 6 show the rear seats. Another small thing, but this time, uses significantly more power... the rear view and side mirrors are rendered at 30fps.

Compromise. Do I think PD could have compromised things like their odd 1080p resolution or their full 60 fps mirrors? Sure. But SOMETHING has to give for their other things.

It's a game of tightrope walking.

Yeah its all about optimization. For me, I'd happily live without such things as changing time of day and weather effects in favor of having the tracks optimized for 60fps at all times. You could have a few versions of each track (midday, Sundown, etc) but all designed so that they will run at a steady 60fps. I'm still holding out hope that we get a version 2.0 update that includes some performance improvements like we did with GT5...

Yeah its all about optimization. For me, I'd happily live without such things as changing time of day and weather effects in favor of having the tracks optimized for 60fps at all times. You could have a few versions of each track (midday, Sundown, etc) but all designed so that they will run at a steady 60fps. I'm still holding out hope that we get a version 2.0 update that includes some performance improvements like we did with GT5...
I don't think I'd give up day/night/weather for a 60fps. That's one of the things I love that Forza doesn't have. Sure, Forza has different time of day options, but it's nothing like night racing.

Fair enough. Personally, I hate night racing in video games. I also hate racing in the rain. Wouldn't really miss either. But it's the dynamic aspect I'm really talking about. Have a few really well-optimized versions of each track (including night and wet of course) that run 60fps and forget about dynamic weather and time cycles. Or have both. For me 60fps is a pretty critical thing. Nothing dumps me back to reality faster than a chugging frame rate...

Also, rendering the game in a lower resolution, such as 720p instead of 1080p can help reduce stuttering at the cost of reduced visual clarity.
Also to anyone obsessed with the framerate, reducing the "Display Size" also helps.

i1y5sccfzjqohwp1ker.jpg

I run the game in full 1080p, full display, full image quality & sometimes in 3D & I have no issues.

Try turning deep colour, super white & all that crap off in your PS3 display settings instead, I read somewhere that some games don't like it including GT5 & 6, it might just solve your problems....MIGHT.

A decent tv helps too, none of that black friday discount crap that people fight over for £100.

Thanks mr grumpy, but it's not TV related. There's frame rate issues on some tracks. I have all the processing off on my TV for gaming. But the sort of lag you'd get from that would be constant input lag, not intermittent frame rate issues. Are you seriously telling me you can run a race at Bathurst for instance and not note the chugging through the curvy section?

Here's an article that details some of the problems for you...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-gran-turismo-6

Btw, I only ever use the in-car view ("driver's view") and that affects the performance of the engine as well so that could be part of the reason you may not notice as much...

Last edited:
Thanks mr grumpy, but it's not TV related. There's frame rate issues on some tracks. I have all the processing off on my TV for gaming. But the sort of lag you'd get from that would be constant input lag, not intermittent frame rate issues. Are you seriously telling me you can run a race at Bathurst for instance and not note the chugging through the curvy section?

Here's an article that details some of the problems for you...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-gran-turismo-6

Btw, I only ever use the in-car view ("driver's view") and that affects the performance of the engine as well so that could be part of the reason you may not notice as much...
Running the game in 720p will result in a framerate much closer to 60fps. It's definitely game related.

Back