The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So after Spa I will assume those that doubted Gaslys ability to pass will be eating their words now, he even did it with a broken front wing and to rivals some consider better.

Gasly is the real deal and that race confirmed it, and his Championship lead just got larger.

Where's the room though? Porsche is back to a 2 car effort

I dunno, I've not looked at who is contracted and whatnot. I just got the feeling that at the very least Webber has privately been wooing him to the LMPs, even if not Porsche.

So after Spa I will assume those that doubted Gaslys ability to pass will be eating their words now, he even did it with a broken front wing and to rivals some consider better.
I would like to see it more regularly. I don't think that's unreasonable.

It'll be disappointing if JB isn't there, as I think him and Alonso is the most likeable driver pairings on the grid and neither of them are exactly underperforming.

It'll be disappointing if JB isn't there, as I think him and Alonso is the most likeable driver pairings on the grid and neither of them are exactly underperforming.
But they're also two of the oldest drivers on the grid, and there will come a time when they retire. At some point, McLaren have to prepare for a future without them, and it's better for the team that that future comes on their terms.

This isn't like 2007, when they had to settle for the best of a bad bunch in Heikki Kovalainen. Stoffel Vandoorne has the potential to be a mega-talent, and if McLaren don't promote him, someone else will. And then when Button and/or Alonso retire, McLaren will be stuck.

Don't get me wrong; I like both Button and Alonso. But I also like Vandoorne, and I can't wait to see him in close-quarters combat with Verstappen (and hopefully Wehrlein and Ocon if they can get promoted). Once upon a time, a once-in-a-generation talent would come along every few years. But 2016 is an exciting time because the grid is rapidly evolving into one of the most talented in the sport's history.

I would be incredibly saddened if Button left F1 due to not being able to find a seat. He deserves to go out on his own terms after his solid career.

I think if Button were to leave it would be choice, Renault or Williams are teams that would take him in a heartbeat.

Sky's gossip-mongers reporting that McLaren have informed Button that he will not be retained for 2017, and that he has rejected an offer to return to Williams:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blog/12433/10034948/f1-gossip-column

They're also questioning whether Felipe Nasr could go to Williams.

Why would they want him back...I feel there was a reason they didn't keep him in the first place to run races, and I haven't seen any promise in his craft to bring him back.

Why would they want him back...I feel there was a reason they didn't keep him in the first place to run races, and I haven't seen any promise in his craft to bring him back.
Probably just money, that will help pay for the other drivers salary.

Probably just money, that will help pay for the other drivers salary.

I could see that, I mean Bottas brings a decent chunk with him, but ideally he'd be replacing Massa. Cause I doubt Nasr would want to return to the test/reserve driver role he left behind when joining Sauber from Williams.

Button was very immature when he first started. It wasn't until he moved to BAR that he started to settle down.

Button was very immature when he first started. It wasn't until he moved to BAR that he started to settle down.

I don't see how this is a maturity problem on the part of Nasr, if anything he seemed to be the more level headed of the two Sauber drivers. As I said, I feel race craft more than anything is why Nasr wouldn't get the call back and shouldn't.

And we have lift off. Felipe Massa will retire at the end of the year. This means one of the top seats has become available, so there will be a reshuffle.

What do we think will happen?

Dunno if Lynn is already with Jaguar in FE, but he might be ready to take the seat.

Button returning to a Williams after 16 years would be an interesting one! I would think it's highly possible if they haven't got anyone else in mind.

No, in Red Bull's opinion. They were faced with a choice: Alex Lynn or Pierre Gasly. They chose Gasly, and which of the two is doing better? Gasly. And while Williams picked Lynn up as a test driver, there hasn't been anything conclusive to link Lynn to the seat. I have heard Button, Pérez, Nasr, Stroll and Sirotkin as possible candidates, but not one mention of Lynn.

James Allen on the Williams seat:

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016...illiams-f1-team-look-to-replace-felipe-massa/

He's tipping Lance Stroll as Massa's replacement, arguing that Williams have dropped hints in the media suggesting that Jenson Button has missed his chance, and suggesting that Sergio Pérez will go to Renault as he has said that his next move will be a "dream". Felipe Nasr and Pascal Wehrlein have also been suggested, but Allen doesn't rate them as possible candidates.

Only thing I said when I saw this was... "FINALLY!!!"
Honestly, I think that the constant renewals of Massa's contract are symptomatic of the problem that has been plaguing Williams for a while now: the trend towards conservatism. They have dithered over their line-up for a while now, and arguably missed a couple of promising talents. Their close relationship with Mercedes should have netted them Pascal Wehrlein, for one.

Honestly, I think that the constant renewals of Massa's contract are symptomatic of the problem that has been plaguing Williams for a while now: the trend towards conservatism. They have dithered over their line-up for a while now, and arguably missed a couple of promising talents. Their close relationship with Mercedes should have netted them Pascal Wehrlein, for one.

Not to count the fact that last people who Mercedes usually are interested in go to FI cause they're about the level of Williams or they're a rumored choice for FI. I agree, though if it isn't some pay driver that doesn't come through (Senna, Maldonado), it's some washed up former Ferrari driver (Barichello, Massa).

James Allen on the Williams seat:

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016...illiams-f1-team-look-to-replace-felipe-massa/

He's tipping Lance Stroll as Massa's replacement, arguing that Williams have dropped hints in the media suggesting that Jenson Button has missed his chance, and suggesting that Sergio Pérez will go to Renault as he has said that his next move will be a "dream". Felipe Nasr and Pascal Wehrlein have also been suggested, but Allen doesn't rate them as possible candidates.
No way is Stroll ready for F1. The Euro F3 field this season is very weak compared to GP3, and though he will almost certainly win the title he hasn't been all that impressive. While he's probably hoping to skip the notoriously brutal GP2 learning curve, I think Williams would be crazy to promote him for next season. Take Nasr's money for a year and see how Lance does in GP2. If he can get close to what Giovanazzi has done this year then promote him for 2018.

Not to count the fact that last people who Mercedes usually are interested in go to FI cause they're about the level of Williams or they're a rumored choice for FI.
I think Williams are probably too established, too independent - and let's call a spade a spade, too proud (not that it's a bad thing) - to be relegated to the role of stepping stone for Mercedes' best and brightest.

I agree, though if it isn't some pay driver that doesn't come through (Senna, Maldonado), it's some washed up former Ferrari driver (Barichello, Massa).
That, I think, is the real tragedy of Williams' situation. Ten years ago, they had a really distinct culture about them - British fortitude without the stiff upper lip - which I think has been diluted. There were drivers like Juan Pablo Montoya who were Williams drivers (and Montoya was arguably the last of them), but then they hit that rocky patch that started with Toyota, and haven't really been exciting since. There was a time when they would have run Räikkönen and Kobayashi, but those days are sadly gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back