2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

Bummed for Piastri, but Zhou is no slouch and I hope he does well. Ideally Piastri could supplement his reserve role with a WEC drive for Alpine’s LMH program.

FB_IMG_1637076124986.jpg

2022 must one of the seasons with the least driver line-up changes?
2008-2009 saw Coulthard retire, Vettel replace him at RB and Buemi join Toro Rosso, while every other seat stayed the same.
This year, Russell and Bottas are moving, Raikkonen is retiring and Giovinazzi has gone, replaced by Zhou and Albon respectively. As such that's slightly more than 08-09.

Why lose out on Latifi's money and then waste even more money on a lawsuit just to get... Nyck de Vries? That would be an absolutely awful decision.

EDIT: He already backed out of his claim, lol

Last edited:
The main question here is why are we still believing random Twitter posts as actual fact???
Well I certainly didn't take it as confirmed but it's not like this is just little Timmy in Dunstable tweeting this in between memes about Spongebob. He is a respectable Canadian journalist so it held a little more weight.

Well I certainly didn't take it as confirmed but it's not like this is just little Timmy in Dunstable tweeting this in between memes about Spongebob. He is a respectable Canadian journalist so it held a little more weight.
The timeline is exactly the same every time.

Random journo makes something up.
Random journo puts it on twitter with the phrase "Done deal" at the end.
Random follower believes it and posts it to Reddit.
Reddit laps this up, thinks it's real and all the fans who want it to be real upvote it.
Made up rumour becomes "fact".
Made up rumour gets posted to GTPlanet with no sources.
User who posted made up rumour gets annoyed when asked to present reputable source for made up rumour.
It's not news until a reputable news website reports it, or an official statement is released by thepeople/team/circuit in question. Twitter is not news, in the same way that "Set to" is guessing presented as news.

It's not news until a reputable news website reports it, or an official statement is released by thepeople/team/circuit in question. Twitter is not news, in the same way that "Set to" is guessing presented as news.
Well sure but again, I didn't take it as fact or news. That's why I merely said he'd suggested it.

The rumour is that Alonso will get another year at Alpine so Piastri will be loaned to Williams next year.

Why lose out on Latifi's money and then waste even more money on a lawsuit just to get... Nyck de Vries? That would be an absolutely awful decision.

EDIT: He already backed out of his claim, lol

Because at some point, the cost of car repairs eating into the budget cap will start to outweigh the need for his sponsors.

De Vries might just be the worst possible replacement, then. No experience, no preparation, not a great talent either, too old to develop at a high rate. Crashes guaranteed.
Completely agree. If anyone should get the mod from the Merc stable it should be Vandoorne. Although I feel Piastri would be a popular choice to start building experience.

It's unlikely to happen mid season though, I'm fairly sure Williams will see it out to the end of this season unless Latifi has a couple more expensive shunts.

Back