The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
It might come down to who has the bigger savings account; Jonathan Palmer or Lawrence Stroll. But don't expect Palmer's name to disappear from the small inches just yet.

Palmer is worth like 1% of what Stroll is. Palmer is rich but not Formula 1 rich.

Re Kubica it just feels like everyone simply using his name to build up hype. Very much doubt there ever was or will be a serious consideration about bringing him on.

Having a seat shared by 2 drivers isn't a good idea for any team. If they sign Kubica, if he can't do it, Di Resta would take over permanently.

Re Kubica it just feels like everyone simply using his name to build up hype. Very much doubt there ever was or will be a serious consideration about bringing him on.

Kubica's the man responsible for that hype. He's one of the three fastest drivers of his particular generation - the other two have taken 4 WDCs between them.

Having a seat shared by 2 drivers isn't a good idea for any team. If they sign Kubica, if he can't do it, Di Resta would take over permanently.

Di Resta is contracted as the 2018 reserve, I see your point but it's more do-able for Williams than it might be for other teams. However Kubica performs the per-minute sponsor exposure would be mahoosive.

I think they should neither get Di Resta, Kubica, or Massa. Massa's just too old, Di Resta isn't good, and Kubica I don't see performing at this level and be competitive. He was spectacular in 2010. But come on, that's 7 years ago. It feels like the hype around Michael when he made his comeback, and never was competitive.

I think they should neither get Di Resta, Kubica, or Massa. Massa's just too old, Di Resta isn't good, and Kubica I don't see performing at this level and be competitive. He was spectacular in 2010. But come on, that's 7 years ago. It feels like the hype around Michael when he made his comeback, and never was competitive.
But then who do they get? Palmer? Ericsson? Nasr? None of whiche are likely to be worth it. They could go for a rookie, like Rowland, Newgarden or Leclerc, but they need someone older than 25, and they wouldnt want to put another rookie with Stroll when they want experience to make him Williams's future.

I also am not sure about Kubica. His raw talent was very apparent, but I can't imagine he can drive an F1 car with an arm like this.

DGIoDvBXsAAnfr1.jpg

That said, I'm definitely rooting for him. It would be the comeback of a lifetime if he comes back and manages to be competitive.

I can't imagine he can drive an F1 car with an arm like this.

He did 142 laps in the Hungary test in August and was matching the race pace of the full time Renault drivers (condition-corrected). Can he do all tracks with that mobility? Maybe not - but you can see that he's very muscular in the non-atrophied parts of his arm.

I had my hand nearly severed a few years ago and now I play piano (live, nine fingers) despite my arm/hand looking nadgered. You learn to correct and build on what remains operable. I'm not comparing my injuries to Kubica's (his whole body was effectively shattered) but I can understand it a little through my own experience.

Not sure why Williams aren't looking for Wehrlein to replace Massa. Also why would Williams get Leclerc when Ferrari have stated that they will place him somewhere, most likely Sauber. With Ericsson not moving either because his sponsors own the current team he's at. Newgarden would move why? Rowland has been attached to Renault so not sure how Williams will get him either. There best chances do seem to be the likes of people like Palmer

Not sure why Williams aren't looking for Wehrlein to replace Massa. Also why would Williams get Leclerc when Ferrari have stated that they will place him somewhere, most likely Sauber. With Ericsson not moving either because his sponsors own the current team he's at. Newgarden would move why? Rowland has been attached to Renault so not sure how Williams will get him either. There best chances do seem to be the likes of people like Palmer
They were just example people who could move into F1 theoretically. Wehrlein and Leclerc are too young for Martini, Newgarden would be silly to move to midfield of F1, while Rowland is the only driver old enough that has shown competence this year in F2. He may be Renault affiliated, but with Hulkenberg and Sainz looking permanent for a while, i can't see him slotting in.

Unless Williams decide to try and poach someone like Buemi, Rosenqvist, Hartley or Kobayashi from Formula E/WEC, they're stuck with the three they're going for.

You have to feel for Wehrlein, it seems like there's nowhere for him to go. Honestly, if a bookie offered odds on him driving for Mercedes in their first season of FE, I'd jump on those odds.

Kubica's the man responsible for that hype. He's one of the three fastest drivers of his particular generation - the other two have taken 4 WDCs between them.

Oh i know who Kubica is, my quarrel is with the teams who are going for what is in my opinion a rather obvious attention grab at his expense. At least with Renault and their eastern european market the risk of taking him on made sense, but now williams seem to just going for some free media exposure. Looking forward to being proven wrong, but i don't think we'll see Kubica in F1.

They were just example people who could move into F1 theoretically. Wehrlein and Leclerc are too young for Martini, Newgarden would be silly to move to midfield of F1, while Rowland is the only driver old enough that has shown competence this year in F2. He may be Renault affiliated, but with Hulkenberg and Sainz looking permanent for a while, i can't see him slotting in.

Unless Williams decide to try and poach someone like Buemi, Rosenqvist, Hartley or Kobayashi from Formula E/WEC, they're stuck with the three they're going for.

The point is all your suggestions other than perhaps Palmer are locked up, why would a team that is arguably cash strapped, hence trying quite hard to appease Martini sponsors, go about poaching drivers. Who have contracts they'd have to buy out, in hopes of them actually fulfilling some success that hasn't been fully replicated since Bottas left. Now Rowland is probably a cheaper buyout, he's unproven in the top category, and more so is just a reserve/test driver for the team.

Rosenqvist would be the most ideal. Hartley has a nice job for life potentially through Porsche and Kobayashi is the equivalent of bringing back Kubica, Buemi would be worse.

Looking forward to being proven wrong, but i don't think we'll see Kubica in F1.

You mean other than the time he was in F1...

The best sceniaro for Williams would be if Perez wanted out of his Force India contract, but I think more would have to happen between him and Ocon for that to happen.

Kubica would be a risk, but a very good reward if it works out, he has loads of talent, above the other drivers in contention.

You mean other than the time he was in F1...

And the time a few weeks ago when he tested for Renault with an F1 contract.

Oh i know who Kubica is, my quarrel is with the teams who are going for what is in my opinion a rather obvious attention grab at his expense.

Kubica's put himself there, he's got the current WDC as his manager and he's (by his own admission) trying very very hard to make a comeback with an F1 team. Any attention grab is a payout, not an expense.

Check your tense before you wreck your sense... yo

Check your facts before, erm, you attacks? :D

Kubica's said he feels he doesn't have any limitations with the current cars. While he may not be stellar at Monaco or Singapore, he's shown he can hang on at tracks like the Hungaroring, which speaks well of the chances he will have at the Tilkedromes. If Pascal isn't signed with Williams, then I absolutely expect Williams to pick Kubica over Massa and Di Resta.

And the time a few weeks ago when he tested for Renault with an F1 contract.

Testest? Wow. Just like the F1 great Chanoch Nissany!

Kubica's put himself there, he's got the current WDC as his manager and he's (by his own admission) trying very very hard to make a comeback with an F1 team. Any attention grab is a payout, not an expense.
Well matter of opinion i suppose. Whether youre the road or the destination type of guy.

Check your facts before, erm, you attacks? :D

What are you talking about

Check your tense before you wreck your sense... yo

What? So he wasn't in F1 prior to this conversation, I mean you're the one that made it seem as if he was a new driver that never had been on this level. Or wasn't at one time championship caliber driving material, if other drivers can come from moments of injury to drive again, why not Kubica?

I still see your quick to be defensive though, good on you 👍

What? So he wasn't in F1 prior to this conversation, I mean you're the one that made it seem as if he was a new driver that never had been on this level. Or wasn't at one time championship caliber driving material, if other drivers can come from moments of injury to drive again, why not Kubica?

I still see your quick to be defensive though, good on you 👍
I see youre still making up things that i've never said and then arguing with your own strawman creation. Why do you do that all the time?

I see youre still making up things that i've never said and then arguing with your own strawman creation. Why do you do that all the time?

Where did I say you said that? I said it is implied when you post in a fashion you did, you don't like people inferring something then don't give them reason to simple. I want to know why you and a few others claim a fallacy that isn't being used, just to deflect. I quoted exactly the part of the post that stood out as strange and unfinished and commented on it, go back and read it if there is that much trouble connecting the dots.

Let's quickly brake it down, one you don't like the prospect of Kubica you yourself have claimed this. Two the portion I quoted from you says and I quote "Looking forward to being proven wrong, but i don't think we'll see Kubica in F1.", which reads as if Kubica wont be coming to F1, and neglects that Kubica has a history in F1. Hence why I responded the way I did. It's that fact that you ignore that is why he's a prospect in the first place, and why it's not "hype" but an expectation that if he is in physical shape to compete then there is a chance that he can be as quick as he was before his accident.

If other former drivers can come back yet again, then why not Kubica, if other former drivers that have had accidents can come back to F1 and win, then why not Kubica. If you don't expect to see Kubica return to f1 then okay, but let's respect the fact he's been here before and is actually trying to return in a serious effort not some gimmick.

Gasly might be racing for Toro Rosso in Malaysia and Suzuka. But not in Sainz's car that he left to go to Renault early, but in Kvyat's car.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gasly-poised-racing-debut-kyvat-957782/

Ouch if this actually happens. What's confused me most about the whole Sainz move is that Toro Rosso are now coming up to a point where they would typically take two new drivers from the feeder series and get them ready. However, since they only have one driver really to do this, I'm curious as to who would replace Sainz or Kvyat if they were to want two new drivers.

Toro Rosso have typically only given drivers a couple of seasons to prove themselves before making room for new, younger talent. I'm not surprised that Kvyat would be making way really given he has been in F1 since 2014 already. Toro Rosso though still have 2017 to think about and claiming as many points as they can in the remaining 6 races, so it would be unwise to drop Sainz early to give Gasly race experience.

The question is then whether Kvyat would return alongside Gasly in 2018 or if they have someone else in mind to promote? Niko Kari was a long shot (from GP3) even before it was announced he would be dropped from the Red Bull Junior Team at the end of 2017...

Toro Rosso have typically only given drivers a couple of seasons to prove themselves before making room for new, younger talent. I'm not surprised that Kvyat would be making way really given he has been in F1 since 2014 already. Toro Rosso though still have 2017 to think about and claiming as many points as they can in the remaining 6 races, so it would be unwise to drop Sainz early to give Gasly race experience.

The question is then whether Kvyat would return alongside Gasly in 2018 or if they have someone else in mind to promote? Niko Kari was a long shot (from GP3) even before it was announced he would be dropped from the Red Bull Junior Team at the end of 2017...
If they want to get rid of Kvyat, Honda will push for Matsu****a. Maybe this is what it is, a way to tell Kvyat he's messed his second chance up and they'll just go for two rookies, one highly regarded by the team and the other by the engine manufacturers.

Does anyone know if it's just for Malaysia or for the rest of the season? I know it sounds silly but I'd like to see Gasly finish the fight for the the Super Formula Championship (the final round of which is the same weekend as the USA GP). Back to back championships in two of the highest ranked series outside of Formula 1 could be huge for him not only within the Red Bull family but across the F1 paddock in general.

Does anyone know if it's just for Malaysia or for the rest of the season?#

The article says "the team has elected to rest Daniil Kvyat for the next few races". There are six races remaining, possibly Kvyat will be back this season. Unless Gasly is stellar.

He surely can't be worse than binning the car while your team-mate takes a career best like the last race.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back