The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t see that coming, hopefully Hartley will be in f1 next season aswell. Always liked the lad and will probably be too good for Torro Rosso to keep hold of.

Rumour is he is going to IndyCar with Ganassi for 2018. Granted it hasn't been announced yet so going to TR could still happen.

Naw Hartley is a Honda driver and will just be reserve for Toro Rosso and will drive for CGR*

*Purely speculation but you hopefully saw it here first

Naw Hartley is a Honda driver and will just be reserve for Toro Rosso and will drive for CGR*

*Purely speculation but you hopefully saw it here first

When did he become a Honda driver? He's an RB driver first and foremost which is why he got the TR seat in the first place. Also I doubt he wants to be the reserve driver for TR again.

When did he become a Honda driver? He's an RB driver first and foremost which is why he got the TR seat in the first place. Also I doubt he wants to be the reserve driver for TR again.
The * was placed upon the whole statement.
And to be technical he is actually a Porsche Factory Driver at the moment.

The * was placed upon the whole statement.
And to be technical he is actually a Porsche Factory Driver at the moment.

I thought that was just for the CGR move, but thanks for the clarification. Yes he is currently a Porsche Factory Driver, sponsored by Red Bull. Thus as his sponsors they have a big amount of say in where he goes as well.

I'll be honest...Haas has nothing special at the moment. Magnussen is okay, and Grosjean just complains constantly and breaks his car all the time. He may be a nice fella, or perhaps he brings money, but I can't see any positive aspect of having Grosjean in the car.

PS: If you're going to let your driver crash your car all the time - might as well let it be Giovinazzi? :D

I'll be honest...Haas has nothing special at the moment. Magnussen is okay, and Grosjean just complains constantly and breaks his car all the time. He may be a nice fella, or perhaps he brings money, but I can't see any positive aspect of having Grosjean in the car.

PS: If you're going to let your driver crash your car all the time - might as well let it be Giovinazzi? :D
He's quick on a good day. He's one of the better drivers who'll jump into a new team atm. I wouldn't give up either one of them for a rookie driver.

He's quick on a good day. He's one of the better drivers who'll jump into a new team atm. I wouldn't give up either one of them for a rookie driver.
He made Palmer look pretty good for a new guy as well last year...... Slam and in fact dunk.

Motorsport-total.com reports that - if Hartley is doing well this weekend - he will drive the rest of the season instead of Kvyat. There is no overlapping in F1/WEC schedule. This would be to evaluate Hartley regarding a 2018 seat for Toro Rosso.

Motorsport-total.com reports that - if Hartley is doing well this weekend - he will drive the rest of the season instead of Kvyat. There is no overlapping in F1/WEC schedule. This would be to evaluate Hartley regarding a 2018 seat for Toro Rosso.
Pretty much just get what I wrote about Buemi and change the names. Yeah, Hartley would be much better driver long term than Kvyat. If he's a success, it might make F1 teams start going back to looking at older drivers who are proving themselves at the top level elsewhere such as WEC and IndyCar, rather than youngsters in junior series, because there doesn't seem to be anyone that the teams want yet in them.

Kubica completes a "productive" second test for Williams. No further details given as they're still completing evaluations, but given that Williams also described his first test as "successful" it sounds like they're taking a positive approach.

Rumour is he is going to IndyCar with Ganassi for 2018. Granted it hasn't been announced yet so going to TR could still happen.

If it does, it might mean a big payday for Chip, even if Hartley hasn't actually signed yet.

Kubica completes a "productive" second test for Williams. No further details given as they're still completing evaluations, but given that Williams also described his first test as "successful" it sounds like they're taking a positive approach.

WTF1 tweeted that Lotos (the big Polish oil and gas company and a longtime supporter of Kubica) was involved in some capacity.

Garbage like this is why I can´t take Autosport seriously

https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/7779/how-williams-rookie-shut-out-his-critics

Just because he had one damn luck to get podium because of alot of cars crashed proves nothing. Kind of makes me think back of the three drivers in Monaco in 1996. Lance Stroll the paydriver will never make an impact. Can´t Williams just kick out this kid who barely reached puberty and bring in some experienced drivers? Seems Red Bull at Toro Rosso knows to get things right.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/7779/how-williams-rookie-shut-out-his-critics

Just because he had one damn luck to get podium because of alot of cars crashed proves nothing. Kind of makes me think back of the three drivers in Monaco in 1996. Lance Stroll the paydriver will never make an impact. Can´t Williams just kick out this kid who barely reached puberty and bring in some experienced drivers? Seems Red Bull at Toro Rosso knows to get things right.
Are you secretly Jacques Villeneuve?

He's been outpacing Massa. He belongs where he is, regardless of how he got it, he's showed he deserves to keep it.

The garbage is the paragraph below the link there. I didn't like the fact that Williams signed Stroll, but he has shown he is capable and deserving of the seat. Monza qualifying was the point where you either got on the "Stroll deserves his seat" bus or you were left in Ignorance Avenue. Tell me how Stroll, who has scored 17 points if you exclude the totally deserved Baku podium, is not deserving of a seat over drivers like Magnussen, Kvyat, Palmer or Ericsson? He scored more points in one race than either McLaren driver has managed all season. He has performed so well, he might have ended Massa's career by making him look ordinary. Vettel managed to get everyone to think Stroll was at fault for something a 4-time world champion should not get involved in when it was clearly his fault. He has answered his critics within a season, which is incredible. It took Grosjean a whole year for people to start taking him seriously at the end of 2013. But look at Maldonado. He rightfully silenced everyone with his win, but couldn't back it up ever again since. Stroll has shown himself to be just as capable as anyone else on the grid. Everyone else on the grid had driven an F1 car in horrific rain like there was at Monza, but who were the two standout drivers? Ocon, who'd done Brazil the previous year, and Stroll, who had never had to drive at speed in horrific weather like that.

I'm sorry, but the time for Stroll bashing is past. He deserves to be on that grid, and it'll take a Maldonado style meltdown to change that FACT.

Can't say I'm terribly too surprised. RBR would be more than willing to build their team around him as they get acclimated to working with Honda over the next couple years, and when he was going on about wanting to get out of his contract early to leave for Ferrari earlier this year, they basically slammed the door in his face by re-signing Vettel and Raikkonen until the new engine regulations take hold.

So, Max gets a fat contract. Max also gets the new engine with various 2018 bits bolted on it.

That kinda makes Max the nr1 driver at RBR.
Hamilton is numero uno at Merc and Vettel at Ferrari. And seeing how Alonso locked himself in with McLaren, where does that leave Ricciardo in the future? There is no top team with an available nr1 spot.

A good day for Belgium! :D

An inside source (who I should really speak to more than I do) told me that they suspect that this is indeed a 3 year (2018, 19, 20) and not additional 1 year contract (2018/9 + 2020) - the existing 2018/9 contract has been nullified and Verstappen has promised more time at Red Bull but with more favourable (to him) performance clauses.

I have no way of verifying that and maybe we'll learn more from the press but it would definitely make sense. He knows the chassis is good and that they can win a race... but he'd be mad to tie himself to 3 years with a Honda engine without a strong get-out ability.

Last edited:
The garbage is the paragraph below the link there. I didn't like the fact that Williams signed Stroll, but he has shown he is capable and deserving of the seat. Monza qualifying was the point where you either got on the "Stroll deserves his seat" bus or you were left in Ignorance Avenue. Tell me how Stroll, who has scored 17 points if you exclude the totally deserved Baku podium, is not deserving of a seat over drivers like Magnussen, Kvyat, Palmer or Ericsson? He scored more points in one race than either McLaren driver has managed all season. He has performed so well, he might have ended Massa's career by making him look ordinary. Vettel managed to get everyone to think Stroll was at fault for something a 4-time world champion should not get involved in when it was clearly his fault. He has answered his critics within a season, which is incredible. It took Grosjean a whole year for people to start taking him seriously at the end of 2013. But look at Maldonado. He rightfully silenced everyone with his win, but couldn't back it up ever again since. Stroll has shown himself to be just as capable as anyone else on the grid. Everyone else on the grid had driven an F1 car in horrific rain like there was at Monza, but who were the two standout drivers? Ocon, who'd done Brazil the previous year, and Stroll, who had never had to drive at speed in horrific weather like that.

I'm sorry, but the time for Stroll bashing is past. He deserves to be on that grid, and it'll take a Maldonado style meltdown to change that FACT.
Stroll has only been outpacing Massa in the races since Monza, and Stroll should thank Massa’s terrible luck for getting that podium at Baku. Felipe’s problem with his suspension is why Ricciardo made such a brilliant move. Massa has had terrible luck trough out the whole season too, and that is a FACT.

And of course that crash at Malaysia was Vettel’s fault, like why turn into a corner, when you can be a total idiot and not be aware of your surroundings apart from the whining Frenchman we came to know as Romain Grosjean?

A good day for Belgium! :D

An inside source (who I should really speak to more than I do) told me that they suspect that this is indeed a 3 year (2018, 19, 20) and not 2 year contract (2019 + 2020) - the existing 2018 contract has been nullified and Verstappen has promised more time at Red Bull but with more favourable (to him) performance clauses.

I have no way of verifying that and maybe we'll learn more from the press but it would definitely make sense. He knows the chassis is good and that they can win a race... but he'd be mad to tie himself to 3 years with a Honda engine without a strong get-out ability.
Verstappen is from the Netherlands, so it’s more of a good day for the Netherlands.

*Sorry for double posting*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back