The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Ricciardo should get accustomed to being the new Mark Webber for the rest of this year and next year?

If he can perform well and beat his spoiled brat team mate, he might just to get signed up by benz.

Even benz should know how good dan is.

Not to mention that charm he has will be brought to their team which will be good for them.

And he does get along with Hamilton, as far as we see in post-race room banter and podium antics.

Even if Ricciardo is Merc-bound, that won't be till 2019 at the earliest, as Bottas is signed for next year. So 2018 will be quite the struggle for Ricciardo given Verstappen getting the "good stuff" from Red Bull.

So unless Bottas gets the sack or Hamilton retires, it'll be a while before we see Ricciardo at Merc. Hopefully 2018 won't damage his stock too much.

Yesterday after the training sessions some interviews with Max and Helmut Marko and then the Dutch "analists" Tom Coronel, Robert Doornbos and Rob Kamphues started or better said continued the speculation/rumours. Max gets a salary of 33M (euro or dollars?), Red Bull Racing signs or already signed a contract with Mercedes? But others say Honda. Remember just - bad? - rumours.

It's not only good news for all Belgians and Dutch but for the complete F1 world. Max you love him or hate him just like e.g.Vettel and Hamilton and that is part of the job for being a top performer. Helmuts last goal is to deliver the youngest World Champion for the next TWO years. Sounds promising and convincing enough for Max to sign this new contract.

BTW Because I live just 8 kilometers near the "non existing anymore" Belgian-Dutch border and I work in Belgium I feel with Max for being called half Belgian. There are limits

I'll be honest...Haas has nothing special at the moment. Magnussen is okay, and Grosjean just complains constantly and breaks his car all the time. He may be a nice fella, or perhaps he brings money, but I can't see any positive aspect of having Grosjean in the car.

PS: If you're going to let your driver crash your car all the time - might as well let it be Giovinazzi? :D

I'm confused by your assessment, Mag yes has issue, but the car is clearly to blame for the season and has actually created issues more times for Grosjean than the other way around. Haas is aware of this which is why they aren't blaming the drivers for where they stand in the WCC

"It's where my heart was telling me to stay", he tells the press. Presumably the money was right too... :)

This wasn't surprising if he wanted to stay in F1 it was always going to be either with McLaren, hoping for a new team to join and run where he typically did in his year with Minardi. Or hope that a current team would see past all his issues over the decade and a half he's been in the sport and only look at his skill and 2 WDCs. Obviously that was never going to happen. His final option was to basically ask for more freedom from McLaren on other ventures and if he didn't get it (and the money as you pointed out) he would of most likely gone to a different series.

This one however did surprise me, because Max is a type of driver that is like Schumi or Senna or even Mika before they won their titles. That being he has speed it's been seen many times, he has the ability to take a car places that only few can (like the top 3 and arguably his team mate but not as consistent). So with that, he owns the ability to move where ever he wants the moment he become available. I would happily bet a large sum that if he had left RBR next year, Mercedes would not be retaining Bottas beyond 2018. I would imagine Ferrari would be less than willing or possibly able. McLaren would happily pick him up and virtually anyone else on the grid.

So to me, this seems to indicate that he see RBR are setting up for 2020 and is willing to drive for them when the rules package changes again and see where they sit in that first season. After that if they aren't capable of producing the WDC he "deserves" he'll probably move on.

As I say though the surprise factor is that he could have moved on easily to a equally strong team after the terrible first half of the season he's endured.

Last edited:
Hi guys. This forum seems like a good a place as any . A hypothetical question for you .
If a driver wins the championship with races still left and the constructors title is all sown up ,,,,,,
Should the champion step aside to let his teams reserve / development drivers get some track time in the remaining races ?

Hi guys. This forum seems like a good a place as any . A hypothetical question for you .
If a driver wins the championship with races still left and the constructors title is all sown up ,,,,,,
Should the champion step aside to let his teams reserve / development drivers get some track time in the remaining races ?

No. Wins is wins and stats is stats. Added to that the team are still developing 2018 ideas on the car and need the technical feedback from the guy they hope is going to take the WDC with it.

Why are we even fighting over what frigging nationality Max is :lol:

I mean, neither Holland nor Belgium have had a good driver in F1 for 30 odd years or so. (No, Jos was not a good F1 driver...), and now we have 2 fantastic talents in F1.

I don't know about you guys, but I would sell a kidney to see Max and Stoffel go head to head for a race win.

Why are we even fighting over what frigging nationality Max is :lol:

I mean, neither Holland nor Belgium have had a good driver in F1 for 30 odd years or so. (No, Jos was not a good F1 driver...), and now we have 2 fantastic talents in F1.

I don't know about you guys, but I would sell a kidney to see Max and Stoffel go head to head for a race win.

That would be ace, Belgian .vs. Belgian! :embarrassed: :D

That would be ace, Belgian .vs. Belgian! :embarrassed: :D

NnoGhN1.gif

I was just typing this: Hartley also in Mexico. Does that mean a definite exit for Kvyat?

It's certainly looking that way. It's also looking more and more like Chip Ganassi is going to have to go with "Plan B" for his #10 IndyCar (provided you believe the rumors that have Hartley teaming with his countryman Scott Dixon).

I was just typing this: Hartley also in Mexico. Does that mean a definite exit for Kvyat?

As it looks now, his only chance would be to get a seat at Sauber. Ericsson hasn't impressed one bit this season, so I think his spot could be up for grabs, unless he manages to swoon the Sauber bosses with a nice fat mound of cash.

I doubt Williams will want him (Kvyat), especially if they have Kubica and Wehrlein to choose between.

As it looks now, his only chance would be to get a seat at Sauber. Ericsson hasn't impressed one bit this season, so I think his spot could be up for grabs, unless he manages to swoon the Sauber bosses with a nice fat mound of cash.

I doubt Williams will want him (Kvyat), especially if they have Kubica and Wehrlein to choose between.
Well, you can forget about Wehrlein, he just turned 23. Williams made an agreement with Martini that at least one of the drivers has to be over the age of 25, and they’re probably gonna replace Massa with someone else (that is if Williams decides to kick Felipe out or if Felipe decides to go on retirement again).

Well, you can forget about Wehrlein, he just turned 23. Williams made an agreement with Martini that at least one of the drivers has to be over the age of 25, and they’re probably gonna replace Massa with someone else (that is if Williams decides to kick Felipe out or if Felipe decides to go on retirement again).

That pretty much leaves Ericssons seat. I doubt Sauber will keep him over Wehrlein.

Blue shells, all day. Or just a bunch of green shells and some walls.

I'd like to see Hartley stay in F1...but Toro Rosso w/ Honda is going to be a massive effort. It'll be a big shift going from Porsche and winning..to Toro Rosso and likely sitting out most races if Honda keeps producing pot-metal engines.

On the plus side...has anyone compared Alonso's salary with the amount of time spent actual competing in a racing event this year? I figure his dollar-per-minute must be astronomical.

Blue shells, all day. Or just a bunch of green shells and some walls.

I'd like to see Hartley stay in F1...but Toro Rosso w/ Honda is going to be a massive effort. It'll be a big shift going from Porsche and winning..to Toro Rosso and likely sitting out most races if Honda keeps producing pot-metal engines.

On the plus side...has anyone compared Alonso's salary with the amount of time spent actual competing in a racing event this year? I figure his dollar-per-minute must be astronomical.

Toro Rosso have said he probably is their 2018 driver along with Gasly. I don't see why a guy with a chance at driving full time in Indy would turn it down if he didn't have an assured sign he'd be racing somewhere better (F1) if that wasn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back