The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a rumoured reason for Hamilton pulling out of the Abu Dhabi test after only an hour in the car. The official (conspiracy!) reason is that Hamilton felt "unwell".
It is a bit weird. If he was feeling unwell, why get into the car in the first place? If he rage-quit the team, why did Mercedes let him drive?

Clutching at straws, indeed.

That's pretty poor form. If I showed up to work and begged off after an hour, my boss would have something to say about it.

Obviously Mercedes doesn't need Lewis in order to win races. Most of all, it's the car (really "the package"). Many a journeyman in the best car has been a winner, and not every champion has been a transcendental genius like Lewis.

That's pretty poor form. If I showed up to work and begged off after an hour, my boss would have something to say about it.

Ah, it's the other way around here, not turning up at all is far worse than having a go and then going home :D

Mind you, not many of us have personal trainers/PAs to handle our sickies...

Obviously Mercedes doesn't need Lewis in order to win races. Most of all, it's the car (really "the package"). Many a journeyman in the best car has been a winner, and not every champion has been a transcendental genius like Lewis.
I'm beginning to wonder if it's a case of Mercedes keeping him on not because they need his talent, but simply to keep his talent out of the hands of other teams.

Surely that makes no sense?
It only makes no sense if Mercedes doesn't have the best car. Lewis is the best driver, and he might make a difference in a slightly inferior car. But in 2016 his flawed skills made no difference in a Mercedes, but caused anarchy in the team. If I were Mercedes and had confidence in the superiority of my engine program, I'd be very tempted to trade him. Ferrari would be a safe bet, IMO, as we'll as McLaren. I might even trade him for Ricciardo, just for the amusement of seeing him "partner" with Verstappen.

I'm just going to say this, I don't think he is the best driver.

there is not enough information to determine that he is better then a pool of drivers he has never raced in the same team with.

Alot of people thought Vettel was the best driver and then he got dominated by Ricciardo who no one saw coming, so you can't exactly confirm it.

Surely that makes no sense?

I've no doubt that any good driver could win in a Mercedes car right now, but there's a pretty good chance Hamilton can still win in a non-Mercedes car (well not any other car, but you know what I mean). I really can't see them risking their dominant position by willingly sending him away unless he makes it clear he wants to leave.

I've no doubt that any good driver could win in a Mercedes car right now, but there's a pretty good chance Hamilton can still win in a non-Mercedes car (well not any other car, but you know what I mean).

Given that none of those other cars are beating the Mercs on track that would suggest that you're rating Hamilton as the "best" driver, no? So why would Mercedes want to keep him out of their car if they could have him in it?

I'm just going to say this, I don't think he is the best driver.

Although I'm prepared to listen to the opinion of many, many other drivers and ex-drivers in the sport that he's one of the fastest "racers" I take your point - in the past "best" has often meant "most suited to a particular era". Vettel was a master of the blown-diffuser era, for sure. He doesn't seem so happy since then.

I've had a feeling these last few months that Lewis could consider moving to Ferrari in 2018. I think 2018 could be an interesting year for the driver merry-go-round.

Given that none of those other cars are beating the Mercs on track that would suggest that you're rating Hamilton as the "best" driver, no? So why would Mercedes want to keep him out of their car if they could have him in it?
"Best" is a very relative term. I would say Hamilton has a better chance of getting a podium finish in a car that's not A+ than many of the current drivers. That's why I said Mercedes wouldn't be likely to cut him loose unless Hamilton was the one initiating the breakup and intent on leaving. Or presumably his behavior got so far out of line that they had no choice but to drop him, but they've proven to be rather tolerant of that it seems.

I've had a feeling these last few months that Lewis could consider moving to Ferrari in 2018.

Ferrari is an icon and a dream for so many drivers. However, a realist might say that Ferrari's recent few years have seen them excelling at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Every driver would like to think they'd win their next WDC with Ferrari... but could they?

All the money it would cost to move Hamilton from Mercedes wouldn't be worth it if their cars are still significantly weaker. Ferrari need to stop just throwing money at driver talent and expecting the novelty to mean the best drivers will always want to drive for them, because that novelty is wearing off fast. McLaren need to not do the same, and pray Honda make a good engine soon.

Way I see it Mercedes could have been working on their 2017 car from 2014; their gap has been so comfortable and insurmountable. The car next year could dann well be untouchable again. Or at least good enough that better drivers than Rosberg can't beat him anyway, and that includes Hamilton if he decides to leave.

You could say it's ego pushing him out of the team but would he be the first world champion to want preferential treatment from his team? More decorated drivers in history have had bigger egos. He has the right to be upset at the team for getting involved after saying they wouldn't, when he's trying all he can to win a title legally in a situation he wouldn't be in if not for an engine failure.

Last edited:
You could say it's ego pushing him out of the team but would he be the first world champion to want preferential treatment from his team? More decorated drivers in history have had bigger egos. He has the right to be upset at the team for getting involved after saying they wouldn't, when he's trying all he can to win a title legally in a situation he wouldn't be in if not for an engine failure.

If by "an engine failure" you meant "poor starts" then I'd agree.

That too, but while you could say the repeated bad starts gave Rosberg a big lead, the engine failure made it insurmountable just when it looked like he was going to bring himself back into the race. Let's not, open up this can of worms in the driver transfer thread, though.

I know it's not the first of April but I've just had a BBC sport app update saying Nico Rosberg is retiring from Formula one with immediate effect.

Well, that was totally out of left-field.

And now one lucky driver is about to get the chance of a lifetime...

Who would fill the Mercedes seat?

Wehrlein - Merc have groomed Wehrlein for a while now, and it's always been a matter of time. However, unless Mercedes were expecting this and allowed Force India to choose Ocon so they could move Wehrlein in, he's in a little bit of trouble.
Alonso - We'd all like to see it. Alonso and Hamilton again, he's outdriven the McLaren so much and seems to still be driving as well as ever. No Ron means he could break away.
Vettel - He's probably disillusioned with Ferrari now and would jump at the opportunity.
Sainz - With Ricciardo and Verstappen looking to be staying at RB for a few years, he's not got many options. But he has been one of the unsung heroes of the season, so might take the seat if he can.
Verstappen - Merc were only just beaten to Max by Red Bull, and he is the hottest property on the market, so don't be surprised if Merc steal him.
Button - Proved he can work well with Hamilton at McLaren. May have "retired", but he said he was only going to race for fun now. A front running car counts as fun right?
Bottas - Still well regarded in the paddock, and has done very well with Mercedes engines over the last 3 years. Could be an outside chance.
Perez - He's always up there, managed to score 7 podiums with 2nd Tier cars over his career and has always deserved a front-running drive (McLaren 2013 didn't really count)

Nico won that championship, but he eventually listened that little voice over his shoulder saying "you won't have that luck every year against Lewis".

Who would fill the Mercedes seat?

Wehrlein - Merc have groomed Wehrlein for a while now, and it's always been a matter of time. However, unless Mercedes were expecting this and allowed Force India to choose Ocon so they could move Wehrlein in, he's in a little bit of trouble.
Alonso - We'd all like to see it. Alonso and Hamilton again, he's outdriven the McLaren so much and seems to still be driving as well as ever. No Ron means he could break away.
Vettel - He's probably disillusioned with Ferrari now and would jump at the opportunity.
Sainz - With Ricciardo and Verstappen looking to be staying at RB for a few years, he's not got many options. But he has been one of the unsung heroes of the season, so might take the seat if he can.
Verstappen - Merc were only just beaten to Max by Red Bull, and he is the hottest property on the market, so don't be surprised if Merc steal him.
Button - Proved he can work well with Hamilton at McLaren. May have "retired", but he said he was only going to race for fun now. A front running car counts as fun right?
Bottas - Still well regarded in the paddock, and has done very well with Mercedes engines over the last 3 years. Could be an outside chance.
Perez - He's always up there, managed to score 7 podiums with 2nd Tier cars over his career and has always deserved a front-running drive (McLaren 2013 didn't really count)

I'd put a tenner on any of those drivers to take the seat, except Button maybe.

Honestly, it's worth a tenner I reckon.

He's a bit old now. Put in one of the ones that's the same age he was when he started and you've got a long term investment you can groom into a superstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back