The "Euro Truck Simulator"-series Thread.

• Thread starter Dean
  • 2,073 comments
Denmark
Jutland
GTP_DeanJ
It's finally here; the Euro Truck Simulator thread!

256px-Euro_Truck_Simulator_Box_Art.jpg
250px-Euro_Truck_Simulator_2_cover.jpg

Euro Truck Simulator (and Euro Truck Simulator 2) is vehicle simulation game series created by SCS Software for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X (ETS1 only) and Linux (ETS 2 only). Set in Europe, the player drive across a depiction of Europe, visiting it's cities, picking up a variety of cargos, and delivering them.

The games' engine is OpenGL, though there is an option for Direct3D 9 – commonly known as DirectX 9.0 – in ETS2.

Gameplay information (ETS 1):
"Players choose their starting country, from Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland and the United Kingdom(V1.2 & V1.3 only). Initially players only have access to their starting country, except if it contains less than three cities. In this case one or more adjacent countries will be accessible as well. For example, starting the game in Italy or Switzerland, you get connection to the other for free. Then, players choose their first truck with a budget of €100,000.

After this, players can start taking jobs from various fictitious companies and delivering cargo to various cities in their starting country to earn money. This money can then be spent on a new truck, upgrading the current truck, expanding the business to other countries and obtaining a license to drive flammables and chemicals."

The trucks included in ETS 1 are Mercedes-Benz Actros (known as Majestic), Renault Magnum (known as Runner), Scania R-series (known as Swift) and Volvo FH16 (known as Valiant).

The following countries are depicted in the game:
  • Austria,
  • Belgium,
  • Czech Republic,
  • France,
  • Germany,
  • Italy,
  • Luxembourg,
  • The Netherlands,
  • Poland,
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia,
  • Spain
  • Switzerland and
  • the United Kingdom.
Gameplay information (ETS 2):

"Players choose their starting city, any city inside Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Initially players only have access to their starting country. As the player delivers cargo to more cities or countries, more roads will be discovered and more cargo will be available to the player. The player initially can only take quick jobs. As the player earns more money or takes bank loans enough to buy a truck, the player can choose what cargo he or she wants to deliver. The money earned/loaned can then be spent on a new truck, upgrading the current truck, hiring drivers, upgrading garages etc. The trucks also have a speed limiter that doesn't allow them to go faster than 90km/h [55mph]. However, there is a "no speed limit" mod that you could install that allows the truck to run at its maximum potential.

The player will also gain experience after each delivery, and a skill point is awarded to the player every time the player levels up. The skill point can then be used to unlock deliveries that require different ADR classes, deliveries that are of a longer distance, special cargoes, fragile cargoes, deliveries that are urgent and Eco-driving. The player can choose from a number of cities as the player's headquarters when starting a new game. The game features 64 cities in 12 different countries and over 20 different types of cargo and over 15 different types of Euro Fictional Companies but there is a "Companies" mod that installs real companies into the game."

As the game is set in Europe, it features European truck designs exclusively and feature actual working instruments such as flashing indicators, temperature and low fuel warning lights, wipers, and gauges. The trucks included are Mercedes-Benz Actros (known as Majestic), Renault Magnum (known as Runner), Scania R-series (known as Swift) and Volvo FH16 (known as Valiant).

The following countries are depicted in the game:​
  • Austria [4 cities],
  • Belgium [2 cities],
  • Czech Republic [2 cities],
  • France [8 cities],
  • Germany [21 cities],
  • Italy [3 cities],
  • Luxembourg [1 city],
  • The Netherlands [3 cites],
  • Poland [3 cities],
  • Slovakia [1 city],
  • Switzerland [3 cities] and
  • the United Kingdom [2 cities in Wales, 3 cities in Scotland, and 13 cities in England]
All countries in game mirror real world conventions such as driving on the right hand side of the road, with the exception of the United Kingdom in which all driving takes place on the left hand side. Roadway signage is consistent with the country you are driving in as well as certain landmarks becoming visible as you travel.

Gameplay videos:
ETS 1:

ETS 2:

System requirements (Windows):
ETS 1:
Minimum System Requirements:
Windows XP or Windows Vista
2.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent
512 Mb (Windows XP) 1 GB (Windows Vista) RAM
600 MB of free space
128 MB video card: GeForce 4 (not MX!) or better, ATI Radeon 8500 or better.
100% DirectX 9 compatible sound card
Recommended System Requirements:
3.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent
2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista) RAM
600 MB of free space
256 MB video card: GeForce 6 or better, ATI Radeon 9800 or better
100% DirectX 9 compatible sound card
ETS 2:
Minimum System Requirements:
Windows XP/Vista/7/8
Dual core CPU 2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
Graphics card with 256 MB memory
(GeForce 7600 GT-class equivalent or better)
DirectX compatible soundcard
Recommended System Requirements:
Windows 7/8
Dual core CPU 3.0 GHz
4 GB RAM
Graphics card with 1024 MB memory
(GeForce GTS 450-class equivalent or better)
DirectX compatible soundcard

Steering wheels:
" - To be honest, this is an information I'm not able to find for ETS 1, but I can say, most wheels (DFGT, G25/27 (+ G25/27- or TH8 RS shifter), T500 (+ G25/27- or TH8 RS shifter)) are usable in ETS 2. There's multiple gearbox possibilities (in ETS 2); Simple Automatic-, Realistic Automatic-, Sequential- and H-shifter mode. Since there's 12 (or more) gears in a truck, and a normal H-shifter only have 6 or more - plus reverse - it's possible to set up the H-shifter with prepared "modes", (or your own), to make it work like a real truck-shifter.*

Both games are available at your local vendor, or via the internet.

Recommended mod-sites and mods, by the community;
We've also got our own VTC (recruiting page here) (Virtual Trucking Company) for those wishing to join us. :)

Discuss :D!

Edit as of August 15th, 2015: Please be aware that some of these mods may not work with the current version, 1.19.X :)

Last edited:
Problem for me, I have a 6 year old Mac, but I'm planning on buying a new one and the first game i'll buy will be scania truck driving simulator, that game looks like a lot of fun.

I'm looking forward to the DLC for ETS2, they are adding a couple new trucks and expanding the map. I've already spent hours playing the game and a bigger maps just means more long nights driving imaginary freight around.

I've done a couple mods to the game too, but the best one is putting HID's on the trucks so that the lights work better. I've also put another mod on that helps with the economy in the game a bit so making money is a tad easier. Doesn't really take much away from the game though since you still have to haul a ton of freight to buy more trucks.

Problem for me, I have a 6 year old Mac, but I'm planning on buying a new one and the first game i'll buy will be scania truck driving simulator, that game looks like a lot of fun.
I guess you'll be good with anything equally to - or better than - a GeForce GT630M. I've got that, and I can run ETS 2 on high, with only minor problems.
I'm looking forward to the DLC for ETS2, they are adding a couple new trucks and expanding the map. I've already spent hours playing the game and a bigger maps just means more long nights driving imaginary freight around.

I've done a couple mods to the game too, but the best one is putting HID's on the trucks so that the lights work better. I've also put another mod on that helps with the economy in the game a bit so making money is a tad easier. Doesn't really take much away from the game though since you still have to haul a ton of freight to buy more trucks.

(It would be nice, if we could share mods here, but I'm honestly not sure if it violates the AUP :boggled:.)

- So far, I'm running mod-free. I am, though, considering adding a Scandinavian map, whenever the so-called "best Scandinavian map" is done.

Last edited:
I don't know why they mention having a good amount of cities if a city is only 4 streets or something.

Well, I don't think it's the most important part to have very big cities, but we can't all agree on everything :D.

- Anyway, my demo locked up, a few hours ago, so now I'll have to buy it :(. Though, I will.

Very late edit:

For those of you using a wheel; how many degrees do you use, 900°? I'm personally on 1080°, but I think it's a bit too high, as I want to follow the wheel in game, as perfectly as possible :D.

And, does anyone know how many degrees a real truck wheel can turn?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the intel 4000 graphics card that comes with most macs is good for truck simulators like scania or euro? Thanks for the reply!

Well, I'm not really sure, but according to Game-Debate you should expect to be in the lower settings. You should still be able to run it, as the HD3000 can. 👍.

- Depending on your processor, you might be able to expect low-medium :).

I have my wheel settings at 800 degrees (well 799 on the G27 because it my hands aren't steady enough :dopey) and it seems to match up with the in game wheel very well.

I have my wheel settings at 800 degrees (well 799 on the G27 because it my hands aren't steady enough :dopey) and it seems to match up with the in game wheel very well.
👍

So, new the 1.4.1 update's live!

Any older version to 1.4.1 at 338 MB.
From 1.3.0 or 1.3.1 version to 1.4.1 at 167 MB.

What's new in this update:

VEHICLES
*All new truck Iveco Stralis Hi-Way with tuning upgrades
*Volvo: Fixed position of lights on the front grill, animations fixes, dashboard fixes, added oil indicator
*DAF: fixed speed gauge display in UK trucks, fixed exhaust
*Majestic: Fixed disappearing of the doorsteps
*Renault: Fixed blinkers
*Man: Fixed material issues
*Fixed wrong lod on flat bed trailer
*Overweight trailer: Fixed position of wheel and mudguards
*Cistern trailer: Fixed position of wheel and mudguards
*Log trailer: Added front white lights
*Fix shadow casters for some upgrades
*AI cars: the lamps are visible from greater distance at night
*Fixed shader issues with auxilary lights for all trucks

SIMULATON
*Reworked force feedback feature
*Engine torque simulation improvements. *Idle throttle and clutch changes.
*Many new physical properties added to the simulation model. All dashboard gauges are simulation based now
*Vehicle telemetry information is available to third-party applications using a first version of ETS2 Telemetry SDK. Pilot testing with kind help of www.fanaleds.com
*There is config variable in console "g_pedal_clutch_range", that can tweak clutch pedal active area length. Range is 0.1 to 1.0 (default value is 1.0)
*Fuel consumption during engine idle fixed

GAMEPLAY
*Redesigned Job Market's job listing to be able scroll through all jobs
*The speed limiter can be now disabled in Options screen.
*Added Advisor warning messages related to retarder, parking brake and air pressure warnings are not shown when gear is set to neutral.
*Added new optional control scheme where steering, accelerator and brakes can all be controlled by mouse
*Ferry route length displayed in the job selection.
*Loan installments are properly rounded up and displayed, improved timing of loan payments
*Upgrade shop does not automatically discard everything with change of cabin/chassis. Only non-compatible accessories are removed
*There is config variable in console "g_income_factor", that can lower job income of you and your drivers for more challenge. Range is 0.0 to 1.0 (default value is 1.0)
*World map can be closed by same key that opens it (default key M)

MAP
*Fixed navigation lines on UK variant roundabout
*Hundreds map fixes, tweaking and prettyfications
*A2 highway completed (as in real life 2 lane highway) including tollgates
*New road leading south from Szczecin in Poland
*Fix - added some no-weather areas placed under some bridges to avoid rain appearing there
*Wrongly set border between France and Belgium fixed
*Grass, terrains and rocks intersecting walls of some tunnels fixed
*Tons of other minor map fixes

MODELS
*Prefabs tweaking (improved AI flow somewhat, major AI rewrite is coming later)
*Less steep quarry prefab to lessen weaker engine trucks having problems when going uphill
*New small tollgates in Poland on A2 road
*Fixed animations of various pedestrians

CODE
*Asynchronous loading smoothes speed of resource loading resources, reducing overall lag and "spikes" for more even framerate
*It is possible to skip the intro animation using a -nointro parameter
*Fixed garage name in player truck relocation UI
*Rain probability in both corner values ensures infinite weather duration
*Weather can change after time fast forward
*The save slot selection is shown after profile selection if there was problem with automatic load
*There is config variable in console "s_rumble_enabled", that can enable/disable sound of rumble stripes on the roads
*Increased range of non-linerity slider in controller option screen
*Fix potential crash related to recent Nvidia *Optimus drivers changes
*Added more job-start autosaves
*Improved robustness to mod removals
*Improved behavior of input wizard
*Improved efficiency of memory pool usage
*Renamed game.log and game.crash files to game.log.txt and game.crash.txt
*Improved behavior of non-widescreen resolutions while driving
*Experimental support for triple-monitors. Controlled by r_multimon_mode cvar (0-disabled, 1-wide fov with ui on central monitor, 2 - three separate views). In the three-view mode it is possible to compensate for bezels using r_multimon_border_fov_* cvars
*The game will reset jobs whenever it detects certain changes in data
*Added Georgian language to the game

SOUND
*Money sound played only on important events
*Air brake sound fixed

STEAM
*Game will pause when Steam overlay appears
*Steam notifications are positioned on the opposite side of the screen than Route Advisor

MODDING
*New sector based map format which supports simultaneous modifications by more than one user and local extensions as long they operate in separate sectors.
*Many definition lists (e.g. types of AI trucks) can be now simultaneously extended by more than one mod.
*As result of multiple changes it is now possible to have more than one reverse speed in modded trucks.

Really a massive update, compared to the 1.3.1 👍.

I wish ETS2 was out for Mac and had wheel support as I really fancy playing this game.

I wish ETS2 was out for Mac and had wheel support as I really fancy playing this game.

You can run it using WINE, although I'm not sure it supports wheels through it. There's also a linux version I believe, if you're wiling to dual-boot linux.

Wow... the force feedback update is a massive win. Gone are the days of a spring action FFB. Even steering the wheel against my knee felt right when it came down to engine vibrations and so on. Lovely!

There are some LOD issues though, but I only grabbed the 1.4.1s beta. Hopefully when it comes out properly on Steam some of them are fixed. Else I will await a 1.4.2s with open arms. ^_^

Now if only there was Simvibe support... 💡

I run mine through Windows only, so I can actually update mine at this moment. Though, I think I'll wait to tomorrow.

I wonder why they haven't added Simvibe yet. That would really make the game double as awesome :D!

Always wondered about this series, being a fan of Flight Simulator.

Looking into it, I found a website with everything from Euro Truck Simulator to ship simulator to farming simulator--etc. There literally is a simulator for everything.

Wow... the force feedback update is a massive win. Gone are the days of a spring action FFB. Even steering the wheel against my knee felt right when it came down to engine vibrations and so on. Lovely!
I had a quick play with my T500 yesterday, and it seems - at least - very different. Normally my wheel would return to center, but it won't do that now, though I guess that's the major update.

Always wondered about this series, being a fan of Flight Simulator.

Looking into it, I found a website with everything from Euro Truck Simulator to ship simulator to farming simulator--etc. There literally is a simulator for everything.
Amazingly, yes. Though the one below, posted by L.F., really takes it to new level :lol:...
You can say that again!

Meet Robot Vacuum Simulator 2013. Free download on the website.

:lol:!

Last edited:
I had a quick play with my T500 yesterday, and it seems - at least - very different. Normally my wheel would return to center, but it won't do that now, though I guess that's the major update.

Amazingly, yes. Though the one below, posted by L.F., really takes it to new level :lol:...

:lol:!

You can change the return to center force separately from other effects in options under the controller secton. I just run defaults on the CSW though.

Just noticed the websit typo too in my precious post. >_< fixed.

Yes, that "centering strength" only makes it minimal compared to before this update. Before, I could release the wheel completely and it would return to center, when turning, pretty fast, but it doesn't do that now (as far as I know) - even with the centering on max. I'll have to give it another go though...

Yes, that "centering strength" only makes it minimal compared to before this update. Before, I could release the wheel completely and it would return to center, when turning, pretty fast, but it doesn't do that now (as far as I know) - even with the centering on max. I'll have to give it another go though...

Odd. The centering should be speed sensitive too btw. Like speed sensitive power steering. At least that's what I noticed.

Else just report the bug via the Steam forum. SCSsoft is active on there when it comes from support. Since its a small company, you talk directly to the devs there. ;)

Well, maybe it's just me... I'll try doing a job tomorrow and see if it's just because I need to get used to it.

Also, I tried "playing around" with all the FFB settings, but since I've never driven a truck in real life, what would the most realistic settings be? 100% in everything?

Bought it on steam today ETS1 and using a G25 on my mac. Runs great. Wheel is a bit sensitive but other than that its fun.

How easy is it to mod this game? I've just bought the full thing having enjoyed the demo for many weeks and I'd love to install some realism/money mods. Is it any more difficult than say, Minecraft?

How easy is it to mod this game? I've just bought the full thing having enjoyed the demo for many weeks and I'd love to install some realism/money mods. Is it any more difficult than say, Minecraft?

You just drag the files to a mod folder and it works just fine. Some even have their own installer. I have a handful of mods and ETS2 is one of the easier games to mod I think.

Bought it on steam today ETS1 and using a G25 on my mac. Runs great. Wheel is a bit sensitive but other than that its fun.

Looks good 👍!

Apparently there's a new version (1.4.8) already. Though it only includes some minor fixes:
*License plate system corrections
*Interior animation fixes
*Fixes to several tuning parts acting incorrectly
*Improvements in memory system for better stability under heavy load
*Traffic lights system fixes

👍.

Thought I would play some ETS2 yesterday.

I started from scratch and this time I quickly took out 500k euro of loans to upgrade my depot, buy some trucks and hire a couple workers. Darn AI arn't that good at making me money yet, I still have to work my ass off. So realistic! :P

Back