The GT Sport Epic Whining and Crying Thread

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 3,198 comments
Yeah, but from a physics and game design aspect, they seem to be two very different titles. I'll stay away from the arcade/sim talk ;)
From a physics aspect, they really aren't that different from what I have gathered from @Scaff over the years. I would say that either isn't doing enough to trump each other in that regard. Design wise, they definitely are different.

From a physics aspect, they really aren't that different from what I have gathered from @Scaff over the years. I would say that either isn't doing enough to trump each other in that regard. Design wise, they definitely are different.

Yeah, I've seen his videos reviewing the beta physics, but those shouldn't be taken as stone regarding GT Sport's final build. Especially when we've seen stuff like this:

Yes, there is still the idea of the "Hand of God" "Skid Recovery Force" to be put to rest, but these are some of the most natural physics I've visibly witnessed in a driving game. But then again, I haven't seen too many games scrutinized to this degree (I'd actually be interested to see them if there are). Not saying they don't exist, only that I have not seen them.

Because Forza is basically what GT used to be.

You're exactly right - but GT Sport seems to have evolved quite a bit from what it used to be, so in a way, it's kinda making itself very unique compared to Forza. So yeah, the comparison could be made, but they do seem vastly different.

Also, it seems the comparison is usually made only to highlight the difference in car count.

Yeah, I've seen his videos reviewing the beta physics, but those shouldn't be taken as stone regarding GT Sport's final build. Especially when we've seen stuff like this:
I'll just go off what we know so far. If things change, that's fine. It doesn't change the point that they are basically on par with each other.

Yes, there is still the idea of the "Hand of God" "Skid Recovery Force" to be put to rest, but these are some of the most natural physics I've visibly witnessed in a driving game. But then again, I haven't seen too many games scrutinized to this degree (I'd actually be interested to see them if there are).
Than you haven't been to any of the Forza forums since its introduction here :lol: Or the Pcars forum, or the Assetto Corsa forum. All the games I have listed has had their fair share of people, both constructive, and also ridiculous, scrutinizing those games. This is not an isolated event.

You're exactly right - but GT Sport seems to have evolved quite a bit from what it used to be, so in a way, it's kinda making itself very unique compared to Forza. So yeah, the comparison could be made, but they do seem very different.
That's not what you say about GTS when we bring up the fact that there has been some major changes. You keep implying that it is still very much the same GTS we all came to love, no? GT of old and Forza are like for like practically, new GTS is more towards Pcars if anything, now.

It looks like customization is there (see 2:49 below). Like you said, we have to see about the upgrades. But outside of power upgrades (turbo, supercharger, exhaust, ECU tune), brake/tire/suspension modification is there. The difference is that rather than buying an automatic sport suspension, I have to tune a sport suspension setup.

The CarRPG/driving simulator aspect looks strong - Train on 145 events/race anywhere with anything/buy cars/tune, repeat - and everything in between.

Yeah, I think you're stretching the definition to suit your argument. If the seemingly tuning-only approach is the only one now, and buying parts/modifying our cars piece-by-piece is gone, and that still qualifies as CarRPG... then every game that offers the ability to modify car settings qualifies.

I mean, just watch the "Human Race" trailer from E3: Even Polyphony is saying the old approach is dead.

It'd be cool if we had to pay to entry fee for single races, and for fuel though!

That's one of my biggest qualms with the modern Forza games, actually; the old ones had you paying for any damage you sustained during a race, and I thought that was an excellent way to push people to drive cleaner.

2:49 for customization 3:08 for tuning upgrades

I must've missed where I can buy parts, like a new ROM or a sports exhaust. Note that nothing was actually explorable either: it's essentially a menu mock-up, so it doesn't really tell us much.

Also, since it's another instance of our 13-month old video being stolen without credit given... DRINK! :P

Yeah, I've seen his videos reviewing the beta physics, but those shouldn't be taken as stone regarding GT Sport's final build.

I don't think anybody is operating under the impression they are.

Yes, there is still the idea of the "Hand of God" "Skid Recovery Force" to be put to rest, but these are some of the most natural physics I've visibly witnessed in a driving game. But then again, I haven't seen too many games scrutinized to this degree (I'd actually be interested to see them if there are). Not saying they don't exist, only that I have not seen them.

I can't find it right now, but I do recall somebody doing something similar with FM4/FM5 with a BMW at the 'Ring, to look at tire flex and suspension modelling. I agree that it looks very natural — replays have always been a PD strong point — but what I'm most looking forward to is telemetry to show us exactly what's happening.

As for SRF: I hated it (mostly when it was forced on), and I'm curious about the rumblings of it being in GTS. Strangely enough, I noticed one new assist with FM7: an assist that adds grip when the tires lose their purchase with the road. So yes, essentially a new SRF. Naturally, I turned it off!

You're exactly right - but GT Sport seems to have evolved quite a bit from what it used to be, so in a way, it's kinda making itself very unique compared to Forza. So yeah, the comparison could be made, but they do seem vastly different.

Also, it seems the comparison is usually made only to highlight the difference in car count.

There are a lot of people that like the traditional GT approach. As Forza is the best place to find it now, the comparison will be made, and it's a valid one to make. I keep seeing some folks rushing to make qualifiers on why X game shouldn't be compared to Y... and it's almost always when their personal preference isn't shown in a favourable light. It actually does the game no favours: each title in the genre has a whole bunch of strong points, and some weak points. GTS, FM7, PCARS2: they all lose out in one area or another when compared. That's what makes the genre so interesting, IMO.

Car count isn't the only thing that is brought up. There's community features (Storefront, Auction House), car variety (arguably more important than the basic count), dynamic weather (something GT has gone backwards on), and a well-known scheduling cadence.

One thing I do want to see is how all three of the big titles this fall will handle esports. We've heard about the GT FIA championship for three years now, but no real details on how it will run. ForzaRC struggles for viewership (at least in terms of post-event Youtube counts), but has a lot of cash prizes to hand out. The Le Mans podium tie-in was a cool one, IMO. Of course, PCARS has been plugging away at esports for two years now, and from what we saw at E3, PCARS2 will have a lot of very handy features built-in for not only hosting your own events, but broadcasting them.

Than you haven't been to any of the Forza forums since its introduction here :lol: Or the Pcars forum, or the Assetto Corsa forum. All the games I have listed has had their fair share of people, both constructive, and also ridiculous, scrutinizing those games. This is not an isolated event.

You're right, I do not visit the Forza forums - or the AC, PC, iRacing forums. Can I find slow mo videos that provide close-ups of tire model and suspension model working together?

Gotta admit, searching for those videos seems like a heavy undertaking. Especially since I've recently have been exposed to the depth of GTPlanet (meaning of life thread, cool wall thread, cars in general threads, etc.) :cheers::gtpflag:

That's not what you say about GTS when we bring up the fact that there has been some major changes. You keep implying that it is still very much the same GTS we all came to love, no? GT of old and Forza are like for like practically, new GTS is more towards Pcars if anything, now.

My main point, is that the GT formula/philosophy is still there, and GT hasn't taken a turn for the worse. That's my typical message behind my posts. Also, GT Sport seems to be far deeper of an experience than PCars.

How can something be an RPG game if no role-playing takes place? We do not control any characters in GT.
There is a very specific reason why the word car appears before the RPG. Again, this is not something new, it has been around for a while. You're leveling up, collecting things, buying things for your cars(which would happen to be the characters, if you will), and using them over an aspect of the game grinding to collect more credits to customize your "Character." Even more so is that you have actual characters that you can dress up with new attire.

This is definitely very much using aspects of RPGs.

According to who?
Probably just another term he doesn't like that hes going to try to force other people to stop using it.

"Character." Even more so is that you have actual characters that you can dress up with new attire.

The person in the suit, under the helmet, is the person that controls the vehicle. It is me, you, and everyone else who drives in GT. It is our digital self.

You're right, I do not visit the Forza forums - or the AC, PC, iRacing forums. Can I find slow mo videos that provide close-ups of tire model and suspension model working together?
I can find some as far back as Fm3, but it seems people didn't care in the most recent iterations lol as it's not something new and intriguing anymore. I'll get them for you

Here's Fm3

Here's FM4

When it comes to the more recent iterations, its harder to find videos of people testing it. The only thing I can think of is that because its been a feature for some time now, people don't care to go on about it.
FM5CorneringTireWonky_zps26379005.jpg

Admittedly it is hard to find videos of FM5 and FM6, but I can go ahead and do those myself when I get home if you'd like(I'll also make sure to put the telemetry on too)? What changes have come to FM7, we wont know until they either show us or we get it ourselves.

Again, there is a very specific reason why the word CAR appears first.

The person in the suit, under the helmet, is the person that controls the vehicle. It is me, you, and everyone else who drives in GT. It is our digital self.
What does that have to do with anything being said?

Can I find slow mo videos that provide close-ups of tire model and suspension model working together?

Gotta admit, searching for those videos seems like a heavy undertaking.

Of course you can.

Here are two videos:

Again, there is a very specific reason why the word CAR appears first.

Below you can see a "Car RPG".

What does that have to do with anything being said?

You see yourself on the screen. It is not someone else. It is not a fictional character. It is whoever is holding the DualShock 4. It is whoever has his or her hands on the steering wheel controller. The person in that suit, under the helmet, is the person who controls the virtual vehicle.

How can something be an RPG if no role-playing takes place? We do not control any characters in GT.

Take it up with whomever coined the term years ago. Note I didn't say straight-up RPG: look at @ImaRobot's post for reasons why. Also, additional readings:

https://www.gtplanet.net/a-retrospective-look-at-gran-turismo/
http://kotaku.com/5616425/gran-turismo-5-injects-some-rpg-in-your-racing-sim
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106432-Gran-Turismo-5-One-of-2010s-Top-RPGs

GT has long featured elements typically found in RPG games, hence the carPG/caRPG/carRPG portmonteau.

Of course you can.

Here are two videos:
You should try paying attention to the actual context of the discussion.

Below you can see a "Car RPG".
I don't even understand how you come around to makeing up these instances you argue. Its odd. That is specifically an RPG, that has a car in it. If they opted for a horse-drawn wagon, it wouldn't make it a "Wagon RPG."

You see yourself on the screen. It is not someone else. It is not a fictional character. It is whoever is holding the DualShock 4. It is whoever has his or her hands on the steering wheel controller. The person in that suit, under the helmet, is the person who controls the virtual vehicle.
It is literally a fictional character that you're customizing in the game. Its in no way a physical representation of yourself. Still, either way, what does this add to the actual context of the discussion? If he/she is not a fictional character, than neither is any character in any rpg game, that you control.

Take it up with whomever coined the term years ago. Note I didn't say straight-up RPG: look at @ImaRobot's post for reasons why. Also, additional readings:

https://www.gtplanet.net/a-retrospective-look-at-gran-turismo/
http://kotaku.com/5616425/gran-turismo-5-injects-some-rpg-in-your-racing-sim
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106432-Gran-Turismo-5-One-of-2010s-Top-RPGs

GT has long featured elements typically found in RPG games, hence the carPG/caRPG/carRPG portmonteau.

You showed me three articles that are opinion pieces. As we all know, opinions are not facts.

You should try paying attention to the actual context of the discussion.

GT is being compared to other driving simulators.

I don't even understand how you come around to makeing up these instances you argue. Its odd. That is specifically an RPG, that has a car in it. If they opted for a horse-drawn wagon, it wouldn't make it a "Wagon RPG."

You stated a falsehood, and I explained to you why it is a falsehood.

You showed me three articles that are opinion pieces. As we all know, opinions are not facts.
Oh god you need to stop this. You're so stuck on ridiculous things like that, even though the terms used have been around for a long time. You're using your very own opinion on these words that you don't like, yourself. You not accepting them doesn't make it a fact that this is not a word used in the genre, and community. Don't like it? Don't use it.

GT is being compared to other driving simulators.
You should try paying attention to the context of the discussion.

You stated a falsehood, and I explained to you why it is a falsehood.
Are you trolling? I said that its a character you customize much like you would do in RPG games, and you're posting some irrelevant statement about how hes not a fictional character. There was no falsehood here, but you have a massive reading comprehension issue.

Oh god you need to stop this. You're so stuck on ridiculous things like that, even though the terms used have been around for a long time. You're using your very own opinion on these words that you don't like, yourself. You not accepting them doesn't make it a fact that this is not a word used in the genre, and community. Don't like it? Don't use it.

It has nothing to do with what I like. You believe, erroneously, that the use of misnomers, and the misnaming of things, are good things to do.

Read marcvic's posts and your replies to his posts, carefully.

Are you trolling? I said that its a character you customize much like you would do in RPG games, and you're posting some irrelevant statement about how hes not a fictional character. There was no falsehood here, but you have a massive reading comprehension issue.

No, I am talking about very specific things.

You say that as if it is impossible to customize what you wear in the physical reality. GT is a driving simulator. It simulates. It simulates vehicles, the driving of those vehicles, Motorsport careers, etc. That is all it does. It simulates. You do not role-play, you drive.

It has nothing to do with what I like. You believe, erroneously, that the use of misnomers, and the misnaming of things, are good things to do.
It literally has everything to do with what you like, otherwise you wouldn't be here trying to tell people they're wrong for using a term that has been widely coined by the genre, journalists, and the community. When new things happen, new terms are made. Get over yourself.

Read marcvic's posts and your replies to his posts, carefully.

No, I am talking about very specific things.

You say that as if it is impossible to customize what you wear in the physical reality. GT is a driving simulator. It simulates. It simulates vehicles, the driving of those vehicles, Motorsport careers, etc. That is all it does. It simulates. You do not role-play, you drive.
Yeah, and the very specific thing has absolutely nothing to do with the point about customization and how they've implemented RPG like aspects to the game, hence the Term CarRPG. You're playing a role of a driver.

@Zer0? I don't remember if his posting style was like this...
It wasn't like this. He at least posted with some context on the actual discussion.

I can find some as far back as Fm3, but it seems people didn't care in the most recent iterations lol as it's not something new and intriguing anymore. I'll get them for you

Admittedly it is hard to find videos of FM5 and FM6, but I can go ahead and do those myself when I get home if you'd like(I'll also make sure to put the telemetry on too)? What changes have come to FM7, we wont know until they either show us or we get it ourselves.

Of course you can.

Here are two videos:

Thanks for all these videos.

@ImaRobot I would actually like to see many of the different sims under the same view/conditions as the Lotus Evora - I understand that is a tough, long task though. Cresting over that "jump" on the Nurburgring, the Evora in the GT Sport video shows a bunch of tire deformation, as well as a bunch of positive/neutral/positive/neutral camber fluctuations as the car is repeatedly rebounding from the "jump". This may be something that has to take place at the release of FM7 and GTS, but I'm curious to see how each sim reacts to the same conditions.

@Greek You just reminded me of why I love the NSX so much, and why I'll miss it in GT Sport:grumpy: (if it isn't included).

@ImaRobot I would actually like to see many of the different sims under the same view/conditions as the Lotus Evora - I understand that is a tough, long task though. Cresting over that "jump" on the Nurburgring, the Evora in the GT Sport video shows a bunch of tire deformation, as well as a bunch of positive/neutral/positive/neutral camber fluctuations as the car is repeatedly rebounding from the "jump". This may be something that has to take place at the release of FM7 and GTS, but I'm curious to see how each sim reacts to the same conditions.
Since we where specifically talking and comparing Forza and gt, and the fact that I only put in those other games to tell you that a lot of games come under scrutiny, it in no way looked like you where asking for many of the others. Since I was only talking about Forza, that is the only one I was going to look for.

That is something that already, for some time now. Forza 4 not being dramatic as GTS, though.

And man are you right about finding videos, its absolutely difficult for anything after Forza 4. I can go ahead and make videos of this on the most recent iteration of FM, as well as tire deformation later today, if you'd like.

It literally has everything to do with what you like, otherwise you wouldn't be here trying to tell people they're wrong for using a term that has been widely coined by the genre, journalists, and the community. When new things happen, new terms are made. Get over yourself.

I care about the truth and correctness.

marcvic asked why is GTS compared to FM7. Also, he stated that it is difficult to find videos that show suspension and tire modelling, in action. I wanted him to see two videos of rFactor 2, which is another driving simulator.

Yeah, and the very specific thing has absolutely nothing to do with the point about customization and how they've implemented RPG like aspects to the game, hence the Term CarRPG. You're playing a role of a driver.

In a driving simulator, we drive. We do not role-play, we drive simulated vehicles.

Thanks for all these videos.

You are welcome.

@Greek You just reminded me of why I love the NSX so much, and why I'll miss it in GT Sport:grumpy: (if it isn't included).

I hope it will be available from the beginning, or after GTS is released, as DLC.

I want to drive road-legal vehicles of all classifications. I want vehicles from the previous decades also. For example, the Supra and the Mini.

And it's your opinion that this term shouldn't be used.

Again: GT has long featured elements typically found in RPG games, hence the carPG/caRPG/carRPG portmanteau.

I never talk with opinions. I always talk with facts.

So according to you again.

Did you read the description of what an RPG is? Do you understand the description?

I care about the truth and correctness.
No one was lying, and no one came incorrect. What you seem to care about is making useless discussions about terms used. Terms that have been around for so long that it makes no sense why you're even going around this way.

In a driving simulator, we drive. We do not role-play, we drive simulated vehicles.
And yet that has nothing to do with the actual point that is being discussed.

In all honesty, you're literally playing the role of the driver, not that that aspect makes it a CarRPG though. Otherwise they wouldn't put so much emphasis on customization of said driver. Its a combination of the many things that happen within the game that make it a CarRPG.

No you aren't. It's your opinion that the term is wrong, when its not. It's also your opinion that this game is not an RPG, which is quite correct, when no one was flat out calling it an rpg. More so that it has borrowed aspects that are widely known to be part of RPG games, and incorporated them into a car racing game, hence the term CarRPG.

Did you read the description of what an RPG is? Do you understand the description?
Yes I did. Do you not understand that that doesn't mean that people using it in a way whose only problem is that you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong?

Here's a fact for you then: No one really cares that you don't think people should use words like "simcade" or "car RPG". They are terms that have existed in the context they were being used in before you objected for long before you thought anyone would care that you don't like them. They are terms that will continue to exist long after you stop attempting to tell people what words that you approve to be used.

And, amusingly as it were, it looks like no one actually cared when you tried this sort of song and dance 9 years ago. So really my main question what drives a person to be so egocentric that the majority of their posts on a message board over a decade are seemingly objecting to words they think are being used wrong?

Last edited:
Back