The GT6 Epic Praising and Crying (tears of joy) Thread

• Thread starter VBR
  • 379 comments
I don't get all the whining - sure there are uncompleted parts, but after 5 I expected nothing different.
The important thing is the feel of the game, and it feels absolutely superb. As we know it will get better as more is added I'm more than happy with it. Hell it's nearly March and I'm still playing with my Christmas present!

Fiftiesgrün (obtained from Opel Corsa) is such an awesome shade for a classic car! I can walk around in photomode all day long and just look at it
love.gif

Seeing as Johnnypenso invited me to participate in a thread I overlooked, how can I say no? :lol:

With all of its shortcomings every grinch can't stop ulcering over, this game really is amazing.

People continue to gripe about the car sounds, but they made me leave the car sounds audible in replays for the first time.

The "dinkmobiles" I constantly belittle in every Gran Turismo are fun to drive this time! As much as I liked Forza's physics, I never cared for low powered subcompacts in that series. The work PD did with Yokohama and KW has really paid off.

In fact, the physics have made me run through all the cars I had in GT5 all over again, when I wasn't sure there would be that much difference. As many others have said, the utter feel of this game is amazing. Very similar to a PC sim, diminishing my interest in the upcoming next gen sims considerably.

The lighting is mostly very good. While dusk gets too dusky too quickly, sunset on Willow Springs, Bathurst, Brands Hatch and the Nurb' as always, is simply amazing, and good fodder for Photo Mode.

And while many folk here bemoan the A.I., I've had some of the best racing in Gran Turismo ever against these bots. And lost. And had fun losing! It's really something. :lol: If you pit a car that finishes roughly within the leader's finishing time, you'll end up with quite a race against them. Some here cringe when I mention Jordan's pre-release report of the bots having a human quality to them, that you have to actually fight them for position. They even fight each other routinely. If no one gets it, oh well.

There's more, but I want coffee, breakfast, and to get on with my soon to be snowstormy weekend. It's looking like a GT monday for me. ;)

Sure, I want all the goodies PD has in store for the game now, but as it stands, this game rocks plenty hard. I can hardly wait for what PD have in store for GT7.

I spent some time yesterday fooling around without ABS. I've done this many times but never really directly compared laptimes as driving without ABS in GT5 was more about survival than consistently going fast. I've run a few cars on the Nurb Laptime Board so I figured I'd turn off ABS and have a go at a couple of them, while tuning the brake balance (Not allowed for the PP Board). Surprisingly I was actually faster in the 2 or 3 cars I tried, including the Zonda C12 on SH. I was a full 2 seconds faster without ABS!! If you get the braking just right, you can get better turn in and make better mid-corner adjustments as well. A slight massage of the brakes seems to make the front end dig in better at times, as opposed to ABS which just makes the car feel kind of dead. I felt this was possible in GT5 once in a while, but the brakes were far too sensitive to be consistent with it.

It's probably just in my head, but it also seems I get better feedback as to what's happening with the car without ABS, including better feel through the wheel. You can actually hear individual tires locking up and adjust your braking accordingly, especially on the really hard braking corners.

I spent some time yesterday fooling around without ABS. I've done this many times but never really directly compared laptimes as driving without ABS in GT5 was more about survival than consistently going fast. I've run a few cars on the Nurb Laptime Board so I figured I'd turn off ABS and have a go at a couple of them, while tuning the brake balance (Not allowed for the PP Board). Surprisingly I was actually faster in the 2 or 3 cars I tried, including the Zonda C12 on SH. I was a full 2 seconds faster without ABS!! If you get the braking just right, you can get better turn in and make better mid-corner adjustments as well. A slight massage of the brakes seems to make the front end dig in better at times, as opposed to ABS which just makes the car feel kind of dead. I felt this was possible in GT5 once in a while, but the brakes were far too sensitive to be consistent with it.

It's probably just in my head, but it also seems I get better feedback as to what's happening with the car without ABS, including better feel through the wheel. You can actually hear individual tires locking up and adjust your braking accordingly, especially on the really hard braking corners.

You are late Johnny :D I have been having those marvelous experience since day one :D Feel the car give feedback, tires fighting for grip, GT6 felt great even on a stick :embarrassed:
Now I can make replicas with more accuracy than ever before, suspension and LSD are more realistic now ( except the buggy camber :lol:)

I have been having awesome times this few months building replicas, tuning, testing them and often set very close lap time to real life.

I am curious what sort lap time you can get with no ABS with one of my 450PP replica based tune : TODA RACING FIGHTEX Honda Civic Type R '08 (FD2) Demo Car 275HP / 279PS 450PP - Comfort Soft to Sports Medium, on comfort soft I managed to do 1:04.5xxx at Tsukuba during test run. Not really sure if it's a good time for 450PP FF on CS tire. I bet you can get better time with a wheel even on ABS 0 :D

You are late Johnny :D I have been having those marvelous experience since day one :D Feel the car give feedback, tires fighting for grip, GT6 felt great even on a stick :embarrassed:
Now I can make replicas with more accuracy than ever before, suspension and LSD are more realistic now ( except the buggy camber :lol:)

I have been having awesome times this few months building replicas, tuning, testing them and often set very close lap time to real life.

I am curious what sort lap time you can get with no ABS with one of my 450PP replica based tune : TODA RACING FIGHTEX Honda Civic Type R '08 (FD2) Demo Car 275HP / 279PS 450PP - Comfort Soft to Sports Medium, on comfort soft I managed to do 1:04.5xxx at Tsukuba during test run. Not really sure if it's a good time for 450PP FF on CS tire. I bet you can get better time with a wheel even on ABS 0 :D

What surprises me most is I'm just as fast, if not faster without ABS, even on the Nurb, a track that really benefits from ABS, perhaps more than any other. That was definitely not the case in GT5, where I could get close on a good lap, but usually made enough small errors on each lap that I was a half second or more out.

I was actually looking for one of your cars to try yesterday. The last car I will chose is an FF:lol: :banghead::boggled::crazy: An FR, around 400 HP would be a better start for me:tup:

Congratulations @Tenacious D , you managed to drag a few references of the pervasive negativity in the rest of GTP, into a thread praising the game...well done:tup:

What surprises me most is I'm just as fast, if not faster without ABS, even on the Nurb, a track that really benefits from ABS, perhaps more than any other. That was definitely not the case in GT5, where I could get close on a good lap, but usually made enough small errors on each lap that I was a half second or more out.

I was actually looking for one of your cars to try yesterday. The last car I will chose is an FF:lol: :banghead::boggled::crazy: An FR, around 400 HP would be a better start for me:tup:

Congratulations @Tenacious D , you managed to drag a few references of the pervasive negativity in the rest of GTP, into a thread praising the game...well done:tup:

Well I do have some FR cars from Wangan Midnight that I recently build that would suit you :D

Yuji Kishida "Zero for the Roads" Honda S2000 '03 Turbo C1 Runner 300HP 470PP Comfort Soft - J's Racing Crux Coilover

Oki from Hakone "The Touge Ace" Mazda RX7 Spirit R Type A '02 Wangan Midnght 500HP 553PP Comfort Soft - Knight Sports Aragosta Coilover

Nobu Setoguchi C1 Runner Mazda RX7 Type R Bathurst R '01 Wangan Midnght 400HP 521PP Comfort Soft - Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilover

Shinji Ogishima C1 Runner Mazda RX7 Type R Bathurst R '01 Wangan Midnght 400HP 521PP Comfort Soft - GREDDY Type S Coilover

And the TODA RACING Civic is not your typical FF car with understeer, this one is simply awesome :lol:, with ABS 0, entry and exit feels neutral, driving it at Tsukuba is so addicting.

Well I do have some FR cars from Wangan Midnight that I recently build that would suit you :D

Yuji Kishida "Zero for the Roads" Honda S2000 '03 Turbo C1 Runner 300HP 470PP Comfort Soft - J's Racing Crux Coilover

Oki from Hakone "The Touge Ace" Mazda RX7 Spirit R Type A '02 Wangan Midnght 500HP 553PP Comfort Soft - Knight Sports Aragosta Coilover

Nobu Setoguchi C1 Runner Mazda RX7 Type R Bathurst R '01 Wangan Midnght 400HP 521PP Comfort Soft - Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilover

Shinji Ogishima C1 Runner Mazda RX7 Type R Bathurst R '01 Wangan Midnght 400HP 521PP Comfort Soft - GREDDY Type S Coilover

And the TODA RACING Civic is not your typical FF car with understeer, this one is simply awesome :lol:, with ABS 0, entry and exit feels neutral, driving it at Tsukuba is so addicting.
One of those should do. I might even try the FF if it's that good:lol:

I do think that ABS isn't just ABS in GT. It works like a antiblock braking system with some sort of stability and traction control in it as well. I never set ABS 0 in GT5. In GT6, is possible most of the times.

If he turn this into the crying threads that he ignites, then we'll know who he really is.

Last edited:
VBR
Last night I finally got why they added accurate stars. I was driving my KTM X-Bow Street on The Ring 24 Hour at 23:50 with a clear sky, & it was a breath taking experience. The sheer feeling of movement I experienced when steering & turning was incredible. I started to feel that half the track was missing before.

Everyone needs to take a Free Run with cockpit view & all HUD off in the X-Bow at 23:50 On The Ring 24 Hour to experience this first hand!

:D

May I suggest the XNR?

VBR
I had a mate round last night, he's been playing 'the other game' since version 2. I made a new profile on my PS3, & asked him to play GT6 & see how far he got. It was very interesting to see someone play GT6 who has no preconceptions, no wish lists, & no grievances. He really enjoyed it, thought that the music was awesome, & overall that the game was very slick.

As someone who has been playing since GT3, & has built up a lot of negatives against the series, it was enlightening to see the game through a fresh pair of eyes.

As one who has driven "the other game" since version 1, I'm also one of those who has no history of negatives and approached GT with no very specific expectations. So this is the view from another fresh pair of eyes.

I bought GT5 a few weeks prior to delivery of my GT6 pre-order. The objective was to gain experience with the world of GT.

Here is what I love about these two GT games:-
  • So many tracks! I want a long relationship with a game, and it's the variety of tracks which keep me coming back.
  • Tuning in the lobby. My online mate and I try to tweak our cars so we have very close finishes.
  • Never having to leave a lobby for anything.
  • It's relatively easy and quick to transfer photos from game to Mac. Could be better of course, but I've taken well over a thousand photos and I'm happy.
  • Weather and time which are "track multipliers". They take one track and create multiple track-experiences.
  • The car history stories. Since starting GT5 and 6, I find my car passions to have been reignited in a way which hasn't happened since I was a student. I think it's the "Info" that is achieving this.
  • The driving experience. This might be partly a function of the advantages of the G27 wheel over "the other wheel" of course.
  • Replays are enhanced by having multiple cameras watching a track section.
  • Replays are easier to find in the replay gallery. It's possible to determine which car I used without actually starting the replay.
  • The Vision thing.
  • The relative freedom of camera movement in the photo travel mode.
  • EDIT: The demo mode. Such variety!
  • EDIT: The intro movies!
  • Kaz. He's just more interesting than "the other man". He never needs to artificially wind up his rhetoric to capture my attention. He actually races. He looks humble and cerebral. He makes me want to be able to understand Japanese with all its nuances.

Last edited:
I know this thread is the place for it but I'm sensing an increase in positivity now on these forums :). It's spreading. Sure I only joined recently but I've been lurking here for a couple of years now and never noticed as much negativity as there has been of late. Maybe I'm just not masochistically reading all the negative threads any more.

I know this thread is the place for it but I'm sensing an increase in positivity now on these forums :). It's spreading. Sure I only joined recently but I've been lurking here for a couple of years now and never noticed as much negativity as there has been of late. Maybe I'm just not masochistically reading all the negative threads any more.
Trust me, there is plenty of negativity

I haven't noticed any problems with the game. (Not literally) But in the sense that, I don't feel ripped off, or that the game sucks. I have been playing for two weeks now, casually/seriously, and I have been satisfied.

I enjoy the physics engine... I think the tire model and suspension have been decently modeled. I sat for weeks reading all of the negativity about the game, and yet I have nothing bad to say about the game.

Your personal expectations for another individual's , or group's, product can lead to disappointment. That's what I think many people have problems with. They can't enjoy the product for what it was purposed to be by the individuals who created it. Rather it has to be optimized for them and ONLY THEM.

Ascari, so awesome! Took a while to learn the layout, but it's so rewarding now that I've done that :)
Before the game was released I thought this would be my favourite new track and wasn't disappointed. No two laps seem to be the same and when you use comforts and sport hards you are on the edge of grip so often there is no such thing as a routine lap. It's very technical with a big risk/reward tradeoff. I also love the fact that there are no stands or view breaks, no walls to run into etc. A tremendous addition to the franchise.

while I can't always enjoy this way, but when I'm able to, cranking up the volume on my Logitech fake 5.1 system, it truly does bring out all the sounds that you just can't hear it normal volume. suddenly everything truly sounds amazing in almost every car. try it if you haven't and I mean loud.

by the way sorry for no caps. my phone is jacked and I'm having to use the speak text.

Totally agreed with the praises on Ascari. It was sort of painful back in the S-5 license test, but afterward I like it more and more.

Now I go there everyday.

Agreed, I must thank GT6 for bring Ascari to my life.
Race there on Tuesday night...I did rubbish but the leaders had a great battle (i need to learn the track)

this is one of the 3 races

I dig Spa
I dig the old Ferraris - more please
Love the weather and time effects - wish the campaign actually you know utilized them.
Glad that you can change the wheels on standard cars.

The final super mission race is pretty fantastic. Fun, challenging and beautiful.

Last edited:
Back