The GT6 Epic Whining and Crying Thread

• Thread starter HaylRayzor
  • 6,682 comments
Personally I didn't like the first Dirt because of the handling, but I did really like the courses. I might be able to suggest some rally games, but it depends on what you liked about the first Dirt.

Edit: Thinking about it, I may need some more info, like is it necessarily a rally game you're after and what systems do you own?
I went to GameSpot and watched a couple videos to make sure I had the right game, to make sure I'm not mixed up here.

DiRT was brought to my attention (and house) by a cousin that has the same GT history as myself (since GT2, though he didn't make the leap to GT6. He's now being thoroughly evil on a battlefield somewhere in PS4-land). Neither of us is particularly enthralled with Rally games, and especially not the way GT has handled the concept, but it was a boring weekend and he said "let's try it". We drove, cussed, "Oui Oui"'ed ourselves stoopid over this game (DiRT). As a replacement for the GT series, it was an awfully short game, and as I said, I also have an interest in car collecting. And yeah, physics and handling and all that stuff was woeful, but it was highly playable! Cracked windshield, no windshield at all (better) or cars that didn't come with windshields (I miss the CORR and buggy races!) that game was intensely fun. It was ridiculous how much fun a couple of 40-somethings had with such a title. He'd do a race, pass it to me, puff, pass, puff, pass (not what you think; the controller) etc. and next thing we knew, the game was done. It was also Sunday afternoon and we hadn't eaten since Saturday morning:lol:. We honestly never had that much raw fun with a game again. We did try DiRT2, and never really got into it.

As to other desires from a game, I loved the decal detailing in NFS: Pro Street but of course the graphics and cars were a tad disappointing to a GT vet. I dislike "boosts" that build up while you're gaining, or on the gas, or when you make contact (so that would be a "no", no cars of mine in GT6 have NOS hooked up) or other arcade-type "power-ups". The old NASCAR title for PC from Papyrus was way cool, and we'd spend hours downloading images from the 'Net to detail our cars with. If it helps any, I really did like GT5 in it's final form meaning with all the seasonal races. The only thing I wished for in that game was more car customization. It's sounding like I really need to check out PCars based on the buzz here, but I'd appreciate direction from anyone willing to help a guy at the end of his GT career.

Systems owned are PS2, PS3, and an HP PC a year old with Windows 8, 500gb hard drive, 4gb DDR3 system memory, AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics, and a AMD E1-1200 Accelerated Processor. The PC currently feeds to a 17' flat screen, but that can be changed in a jiffy. :gtpflag:

I went to GameSpot and watched a couple videos to make sure I had the right game, to make sure I'm not mixed up here.

DiRT was brought to my attention (and house) by a cousin that has the same GT history as myself (since GT2, though he didn't make the leap to GT6. He's now being thoroughly evil on a battlefield somewhere in PS4-land). Neither of us is particularly enthralled with Rally games, and especially not the way GT has handled the concept, but it was a boring weekend and he said "let's try it". We drove, cussed, "Oui Oui"'ed ourselves stoopid over this game (DiRT). As a replacement for the GT series, it was an awfully short game, and as I said, I also have an interest in car collecting. And yeah, physics and handling and all that stuff was woeful, but it was highly playable! Cracked windshield, no windshield at all (better) or cars that didn't come with windshields (I miss the CORR and buggy races!) that game was intensely fun. It was ridiculous how much fun a couple of 40-somethings had with such a title. He'd do a race, pass it to me, puff, pass, puff, pass (not what you think; the controller) etc. and next thing we knew, the game was done. It was also Sunday afternoon and we hadn't eaten since Saturday morning:lol:. We honestly never had that much raw fun with a game again. We did try DiRT2, and never really got into it.

As to other desires from a game, I loved the decal detailing in NFS: Pro Street but of course the graphics and cars were a tad disappointing to a GT vet. I dislike "boosts" that build up while you're gaining, or on the gas, or when you make contact (so that would be a "no", no cars of mine in GT6 have NOS hooked up) or other arcade-type "power-ups". The old NASCAR title for PC from Papyrus was way cool, and we'd spend hours downloading images from the 'Net to detail our cars with. If it helps any, I really did like GT5 in it's final form meaning with all the seasonal races. The only thing I wished for in that game was more car customization. It's sounding like I really need to check out PCars based on the buzz here, but I'd appreciate direction from anyone willing to help a guy at the end of his GT career.

Systems owned are PS2, PS3, and an HP PC a year old with Windows 8, 500gb hard drive, 4gb DDR3 system memory, AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics, and a AMD E1-1200 Accelerated Processor. The PC currently feeds to a 17' flat screen, but that can be changed in a jiffy. :gtpflag:
Hmmm. Your PC will limit you to older/lower spec games.

You said you're not enthralled by rally games but I'm assuming that doesn't mean to rule them out. The WRC games on PS2 are worth checking out as are the pre-Dirt Colin McRae games. The Toca games are great too IMO (Wide variety of vehicle types).

In terms of stuff with vehicle customisation, many of them focus a lot on stuff like nitrous and boosts etc. There are the Need For Speed games, however of their games in the Underground ilk, I've only played Underground 2 and Carbon. It's a long time since I played Underground 2 and don't remember it well enough to comment. As for Carbon, I hated it. Personally I thought the Midnight Club Games were more fun, though they are very arcadey.

There are two games that I really love, but because you don't have or intend to buy a wheel, I hesitate to recommend them. They are Enthusia and Richard Burns Rally. Enthusia is very much like Gran Turismo in some respects and has arguably better physics than GT4. RBR is still the go to rally simulator for realism.

True, which begs the question why the thread still lives. :P
Well it's nice to pop a visit in the GT section once in a while for old times sake, and as i can't say much positive about the game my thread choices are limited :lol:

Hmmm. Your PC will limit you to older/lower spec games.

You said you're not enthralled by rally games but I'm assuming that doesn't mean to rule them out. The WRC games on PS2 are worth checking out as are the pre-Dirt Colin McRae games. The Toca games are great too IMO (Wide variety of vehicle types).

In terms of stuff with vehicle customisation, many of them focus a lot on stuff like nitrous and boosts etc. There are the Need For Speed games, however of their games in the Underground ilk, I've only played Underground 2 and Carbon. It's a long time since I played Underground 2 and don't remember it well enough to comment. As for Carbon, I hated it. Personally I thought the Midnight Club Games were more fun, though they are very arcadey.

There are two games that I really love, but because you don't have or intend to buy a wheel, I hesitate to recommend them. They are Enthusia and Richard Burns Rally. Enthusia is very much like Gran Turismo in some respects and has arguably better physics than GT4. RBR is still the go to rally simulator for realism.
Thanks for all that, Napalm; much as I'm going to hate dragging out a PS2, of what's available now, I'll likely see if I can get a copy of RBR as you suggest. As long as a game doesn't require a clutch, I generally manage ok with the DS3. I had no problems at all with DiRT, so if that seems a fair qualifier for RBR, I should be ok. And BTW, you were right on previously re: the tracks in DiRT. Super layouts all throughout the game.

But....seriously? A year old PC 6 times better than my original (which lasted me 8 years, tyvm:lol:) is holding me back? I know I didn't get anyone to spec it out specifically for sim games....but DANG I'm sick of progress!

Thank you again, muchly appreciated. :cheers:

Thanks for all that, Napalm; much as I'm going to hate dragging out a PS2, of what's available now, I'll likely see if I can get a copy of RBR as you suggest. As long as a game doesn't require a clutch, I generally manage ok with the DS3. I had no problems at all with DiRT, so if that seems a fair qualifier for RBR, I should be ok. And BTW, you were right on previously re: the tracks in DiRT. Super layouts all throughout the game.

But....seriously? A year old PC 6 times better than my original (which lasted me 8 years, tyvm:lol:) is holding me back? I know I didn't get anyone to spec it out specifically for sim games....but DANG I'm sick of progress!

Thank you again, muchly appreciated. :cheers:
I'd have to double check, but your PC would almost certainly run RBR well on PC. That would save you dragging out the PS2.

The biggest limiting factor in my suggestions is that you don't have a wheel. There are a bunch of sims I could recommend, but a wheel is pretty much essential to get the best out of them.

RBR is ideally suited to a wheel, but it is certainly playable with a controller. I must also warn you that it isn't an easy game to pick up. There is a learning curve, but once you get past it, there are few games more rewarding.

I'm sure I've probably forgotten to mention a game or two, but I'll post should one occur to me :)

Pd`s newest con: Senna PAID dlc I can see it now... "The sales will help pay for our next premium dlc "track creator"

Famine
An SCEA representative made that claim, but it was never officially published.

Naughty of them, I know, but the developers can't be held accountable for uncorroborated claims from any employee that is not officially announced.

Famine if you're reading this, watch from 13:35 to learn that this was not an SCEA representative saying there would be new tracks every month, it was Translator San. I'm assuming it wasn't a mistranslation.

Good find :D

I'd have to check the press release from the time but I don't recall that being in it. The slide itself says something slightly different to the translation too, so it could be that someone on the stage mis-spoke and my ability to listen in Japanese isn't good enough to say who.

However the fact it was also said by SCEA's Taku Imasaki (as "at least one track every month") but not included in any press releases I'm familiar with implies that there was a tentative schedule well before launch that, somewhere before the November reveal, has failed. I don't know why.

But again, as an old hand now in GT releases (and gaming in general), my advice is "don't believe a word if you don't see it on a press release". We do our best to bring you mostly verbatim press releases to keep you informed. This hasn't been one (that I'm aware of) so it doesn't matter who says it - remember the slide for GT5 that included livery editor and number plate customisation?

@bluecharger I did overlook a couple of games. NFS Shift and Shift 2 (earlier work from the guys making Project CARS). And the other is Grid or Grid 2.

The only reason I didn't think to mention them was because I would have assumed you are aware of them and had already ruled them out. They both have an arcade flavour but are what is informally dubbed simcade.

@bluecharger I did overlook a couple of games. NFS Shift and Shift 2 (earlier work from the guys making Project CARS). And the other is Grid or Grid 2.

The only reason I didn't think to mention them was because I would have assumed you are aware of them and had already ruled them out. They both have an arcade flavour but are what is informally dubbed simcade.
For NFS titles, I skipped from Pro Street to Most Wanted and those just aren't my games. While I did simply love the early NFSs GT completely got me away from arcade/boost/zoom modes altogether. The main reason I ever mentioned Pro Street was the level of modifications, though overall it was a fun short game. I've never tried a Grid game to my knowledge.
Hey PD! Just add a livery editor with some cool decals and/or ability to import, and this all goes away!:cheers:

I tried a demo for Pro Street and wasn't particularly keen. The physics on Shift is definitely a couple of steps more toward sim than Pro Street was. Grid is in similar kind of territory for realism (somewhere about half way between the likes of Gran Turismo and Pro Street). They both have livery editors too, although livery editing isn't my thing, so I don't know how comprehensive they are in comparison to others. Maybe check out some videos and see what you think :)

Edit: I've got to go, so wont be able to reply

I'd have to check the press release from the time but I don't recall that being in it. The slide itself says something slightly different to the translation too, so it could be that someone on the stage mis-spoke and my ability to listen in Japanese isn't good enough to say who.

@Beat the Beat Very good find.

The relevant Japanese line from Kaz is:

もちろん、DLCで毎月増えていく。
mochiron, DLC de maitsuki fueteiku.

A very literal translation of this might be "And of course, (these unspecified things) will be increased each month by DLC".

It's common in Japanese to omit the subject of a sentence when it's obvious. In this case, he was talking about tracks so "these unspecified things" are tracks.

Final translation: "And of course, tracks will be increased each month by DLC".

Google Translate gives more or less the same thing, but with added Engrish. :D

Translator-san's interpretation of the line as "And of course we will be providing new tracks every month by DLCs" seems pretty spot on to me.

End result: Kaz himself stood up and said there would be monthly track DLC. Boourns. :(

It was already said that it will be free, though.
Found this on Ayrton Senna's Wikipedia page.

"On October 25, 2013, a holiday Playstation 3 bundle with Gran Turismo 6 was announced which is dedicated to his memory, with some of the proceeds of this bundle going to help an unspecified charitable organization."

If they do charge for it, I will only pay for it if the proceeds go to Instituto Ayrton Senna in honor of his legacy. If PD charges for their own profit, there's no way in hell I'll buy the pack.

Back