The New Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is the World's Fastest Muscle Car

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 278 comments
Y'know, I think they could've easily designed all of the safety equipment (and at least made optional or a different version of the Demon) needed to certify it in the NHRA, but decided it would sound cooler to say it's soo good that they banned it.
I'm pretty sure the goal was to keep the car street legal, so a roll cage more than likely isn't an option.

Rally cars have to be street legal and those things have the most complex rollcages outside of a Trophy Truck.

The Dodge video suggests it's the highest horsepower production V8 in existence... Have they never heard of Koenigsegg?

I'm just waiting to see the first Instagram, with one of these on the "passenger" side.
images

Meh, this thing will still get smoked by GTR's. For some reason I don't like the car. I think they are trying a little too hard to be cool, and they aren't to me at least. This thing will be a pig around a track.

Would it be legal for a production car? It sounds like a crash testing nightmare. :confused:

Like I said there are some high end cars with them, the half cage. They're usually bolt in from the factory. It seems like it'd be a worthwhile investment for Dodge. If the car isn't built with a rollcage of some sort, it's usually a carbon monocoque which is just as good if not better than a roll cage.

The main problem with a roll cage in a street car is, unless you're wearing a helmet all the time or the rollcage is tucked up out of the way, there is a chance of bashing your head on the rollcage in the accident and being worse off than if it wasn't there at all.

There is no law saying you can't have a roll cage (that I'm aware of) in your car.
The only thing that can make a roll cage not street legal (this can different in each state) visibility of the side view mirrors and rear view mirror.
Something like this that can obstruct the side view mirror
9354993824_9245d1a266_h.jpg

or the rear view mirror
001.jpg

The only thing that can make a roll cage not street legal (this can different in each state) visibility of the side view mirrors and rear view mirror.
Something like this that can obstruct the side view mirror
9354993824_9245d1a266_h.jpg

or the rear view mirror
001.jpg

You'd have to find a state that actually has it against the law, my state doesn't and Federally as I was more so alluding to, doesn't have such a ban. The level of harness on the other hand, is a different question. Four point is the max you can have street wise, which is what the Demon has.

The entire car pushes the boundary on road legality, yet doesn't come with even a partial cage... What you see in a Porsche GT3 should be in a Demon I think.

The main problem with a roll cage in a street car is, unless you're wearing a helmet all the time or the rollcage is tucked up out of the way, there is a chance of bashing your head on the rollcage in the accident and being worse off than if it wasn't there at all.
This is what I was thinking of. I'm aware there isn't anything specifically banning cages, but good luck trying to sell a street car with this kind of issue.

This is what I was thinking of. I'm aware there isn't anything specifically banning cages, but good luck trying to sell a street car with this kind of issue.

But there are street cars with them as I said

porsche_911_gt3_rs_interior.jpg

Now if Dodge is trying to do something specific to NHRA, a full cage may be require due to the quarter mile time. However, that shouldn't matter. If a person wants to take the car to the track, they need a helmet anyways because they're going faster than 12 seconds in the quarter mile. You get kicked out if you don't.

The whole "the car was Banned from NHRA" probably has more behind it, and dodge wont say why because the reason isn't going to sell the car as much as the headline alone.

But there are street cars with them as I said

porsche_911_gt3_rs_interior.jpg

Now if Dodge is trying to do something specific to NHRA, a full cage may be require due to the quarter mile time. However, that shouldn't matter. If a person wants to take the car to the track, they need a helmet anyways because they're going faster than 12 seconds in the quarter mile. You get kicked out if you don't.

The whole "the car was Banned from NHRA" probably has more behind it, and dodge wont say why because the reason isn't going to sell the car as much as the headline alone.
I haven't read up on it, but would it be banned for what you just mentioned? Not having a roll cage?

In addition, my mate has a half cage in his XC Falcon Fairmont. It's road legal and can, theoretically, run under 11s, but has a half cage. That would ban him for running 10s.

I haven't read up on it, but would it be banned for what you just mentioned? Not having a roll cage?

Most likely, which if that's the story, it's funny how Dodge played Fox/MSNBC news and spun it in their favor. When any rational person would say, "so why did you build a road psuedo drag car that can't be taken to the track? Why didn't you just put in a cage"

I mean Dodge is so hyped on this being the first of many things in the Auto industry, why stop there?

Most likely, which if that's the story, it's funny how Dodge played Fox/MSNBC news and spun it in their favor. When any rational person would say, "so why did you build a road psuedo drag car that can't be taken to the track? Why didn't you just put in a cage"

I mean Dodge is so hyped on this being the first of many things in the Auto industry, why stop there?
Gotcha.

Especially as Fred mentioned, someone is going to crash it on a public street and/or road, should have a cage.

Back