The NSX is making a return...

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,074 comments
Technically, nothing new but check out those Honda badges:

[YOUTUBEHD]YHQukpKvVTQ[/YOUTUBEHD]

Set to be at the Geneva Motor Show as the Honda NSX.

So I'm guessing it'll be just like the old days, Japan and Europe get the Honda NSX while US gets the Acura NSX.

Last edited:
So, based on that video, it will be MR with electric front drive. Therefore, in the city it can be a FWD electric without using any gas?

An N/A V6 is likely lighter than an I4 turbo, not to mention being the better choice for a lighter version of a car.

If the pot 4 was made out of cast iron then yeah, but aren't turbo engines made out of aluminum these days? And I don't know about better choice since turbo tech has come a really long way since the first gen NSX launched.

The v6 can get the hybrid, while the pot 4 does away with the the weight of the hybrid drivetrain. Sell it as a lighter, yet more nimble version. That, and a lower sticker price than the bigger brother.

So, based on that video, it will be MR with electric front drive. Therefore, in the city it can be a FWD electric without using any gas?

I think that's the idea, yeah. It's quite similar to how Porsche's GT3 RSR works.

NSX Spider design sketches for European Patent
14707699391104040851.jpg

17051054701204992787.jpg

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1044223

Last edited:
I don't get why they made this a hybrid and AWD (unless they changed the design). That takes the whole point away from the NSX, especially the AWD part.

Well really, this is THE way to make a hybrid supercar. Mid engine, rear-drive chassis with the added battery and emotor weight up front (but preferably with the battery pack behind centerline and emotors directly on centerline). Add in the control setup they're talking about (where front axle output torque is altered depending on cornering conditions) and you've got something that should do pretty much everything very well.

Especially if they get the gasser powertrain right. There's no reason a big, suck-air 6 can't get 40mpg on the highway in a relatively light and very slippery car. Add the hybrid setup and you've got something that should, by rights, do pretty damn well in the city too.

Interestingly, the car is red in the GT5 video as well.

TVC
I don't get why they made this a hybrid and AWD (unless they changed the design). That takes the whole point away from the NSX, especially the AWD part.

So what is this "point" of the NSX you describe then?...

Its not like NSX stood for something or anything like that... None the less Im happy to see Honda making a New Sports eXperimental car. :P

I like the overall design look. I just can't get passed the internal LED segmentation of the headlights; looks odd to me. Maybe the production model will do away with the headlight design, if not, I'll just have to get used to it.

Last edited:
This car would've been great... if it wasn't called the NSX.

Here's what the NSX should be like in my mind: Sleek, angular body, mid engine, rear wheel drive, precise handling, lightweight, and VTEC. With the 2012 "NSX", it has lost pretty much all the character that the previous car had, and all of what the previous car stood for has vanished. They named the new car the NSX just to seek attention, really. And I hate to see one of my childhood heroes ruined like that.

Well I agree they maybe shouldnt have use NSX as a name. But if you think about it it's only normal that the car come AWD, specialy if it's a supercar, usually most of those car are made for rich wealthy people that have no clue of how to drive a car like that. People like football star, US sports star etc.. Those people want a secure car not a car that will kill them if it's start raining. Look what happen with the Mclaren F1 owner, lots of them crashed because it was a true race car converted to road.

The HSV was the real racing car, too bad they dont release a road version of it.

This car would've been great... if it wasn't called the NSX.

Here's what the NSX should be like in my mind:

• Sleek, angular body, - Check
• mid engine, - Check
• rear wheel drive, - Check
• precise handling, - Unknown, it's just a concept
• lightweight, - Unknown, it's just a concept - but the original one was no lighter than it's rivals
• and VTEC. - Old tech - hybrid is the new vtec

With the 2012 "NSX", it has lost pretty much all the character that the previous car had, and all of what the previous car stood for has vanished. They named the new car the NSX just to seek attention, really. And I hate to see one of my childhood heroes ruined like that.

:rolleyes: I really don't get all the crying over this 'new' NSX. All the old NSX really stood for was for being a supercar that your grandma could drive, using the latest chassis and engine design production methods.

As far as i can see, the new NSX concept encapsulates all the old one stood for perfectly.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: I really don't get all the crying over this 'new' NSX. All the old NSX really stood for was for being a supercar that your grandma could drive, using the latest chassis and engine design production methods.

As far as i can see, the new NSX concept encapsulates all the old one stood for perfectly.

This.

WOW. Lots of 'american bias' in this thread lately:

:rolleyes: All the old NSX really stood for was for being a supercar that your grandma could drive.

Its not like NSX stood for something or anything like that...:P

👎👎 If you think that the 'old' NSX was just an overpriced japanese car then you need to open your mind a little. I guess you guys think the KPGC10 Skyline is just an old Datsun :crazy: But I guess in the land of "I need a 25-ton dually pickup to get my large butt to McDonalds", anything without a V8 is just some disposable car to you guys huh?

The NSX was a product of Honda's involvement in F1 and its success as the dominant engine of choice in the late '80s. They combined that with Senna's input regarding the overall handling and suspension dynamics. For a mainstream manufacturer to be able to create a car like this was just unheard of. Gordon Murray used it as the inspiration for his much-loved McLaren F1 (which I'm sure you're all aware of...it is British :rolleyes:).

There's more to the car than that (first car to utilize titanium connecting rods, etc.) but I'll let you guys do the research if you have the will.

The HSV was the real racing car, too bad they don't release a road version of it.

Agreed :)👍
The HSV-010 would've been a proper halo car for Honda's line-up. It doesn't disgrace the legendary NSX name and has all the modern technologies combined with great power and handling characteristics, as proven by its participation in SuperGT. I'm not sure about the design of the rear though. It still needs to grow on me. Still a great car:tup:

An N/A V6 is likely lighter than an I4 turbo, not to mention being the better choice for a lighter version of a car.

True and besides an inline-4 in a car that they'll be calling the NSX is just inappropriate and will most likely spark a massive uproar within the NSX community.

With all this said, I'm still looking forward to this 'new' NSX. I like everything about it. The styling is perfect the way it is, although the production version most likely won't look exactly like this, but I can deal with minor changes. The hybrid layout is interesting and I'll judge it when the first prototype starts to make it into the tracks. I like the idea of relying solely on the hybrid powertrain for city driving and then hearing the rear engine roar into life as you demand performance. As far as the NSX branding, that's still debatable. I would've been more angry if they named the HSV-010 the new NSX. At least this one has some characteristics of its older brethren.

WOW. Lots of 'american bias' in this thread lately:

👎👎 If you think that the 'old' NSX was just an overpriced japanese car then you need to open your mind a little. I guess you guys think the KPGC10 Skyline is just an old Datsun :crazy: But I guess in the land of "I need a 25-ton dually pickup to get my large butt to McDonalds", anything without a V8 is just some disposable car to you guys huh?

The NSX was a product of Honda's involvement in F1 and its success as the dominant engine of choice in the late '80s. They combined that with Senna's input regarding the overall handling and suspension dynamics. For a mainstream manufacturer to be able to create a car like this was just unheard of. Gordon Murray used it as the inspiration for his much-loved McLaren F1 (which I'm sure you're all aware of...it is British :rolleyes:).

There's more to the car than that (first car to utilize titanium connecting rods, etc.) but I'll let you guys do the research if you have the will.

Congratulations on completely missing the point of TheCracker and Kent's posts. You couldn't have missed it more completely if you'd responded to a different post on a different forum.

Go back and read their posts again, this time in context.

And next time, cut the crap about "American bias" (what American bias? Seriously!) and the fact the McLaren F1 being British is somehow even slightly relevant to the conversation.

Latest Posts

Back