The penalty analysis thread

• Thread starter Groundfish
  • 123 comments
Here's the video were I was hit but yet again it was my fault because my opponent went off, I could do nothing about it but got a 4 second penalty. Everything else in the clip went unpunished.

Now watch this and see what the game thinks are good moves, or certainly things not deserving of a penalty anyway.

The only penalties are for the corner cutting. I did the same thing whilst following, I did notice they were going to cut but still just cut the corner myself, 1 second to both of us was issued.

Just one to add to the discussion. The Italian hits the Spaniard who clips the front of my car before leaving the track. I was sure that either the Italian would get a penalty or I would be the victim of the way the system works and I would end up with the penalty as I was the last person to make contact. However in this instance no penalties were awarded to anyone. My only assumption is that the green astroturf is considered part of the track limits and that the Gulf Spanish car just about kept two wheels on there.

Also to add, boy was I relieved that the ghosting kicked in, just in the nick of time!

Just one to add to the discussion. The Italian hits the Spaniard who clips the front of my car before leaving the track. I was sure that either the Italian would get a penalty or I would be the victim of the way the system works and I would end up with the penalty as I was the last person to make contact. However in this instance no penalties were awarded to anyone. My only assumption is that the green astroturf is considered part of the track limits and that the Gulf Spanish car just about kept two wheels on there.

Also to add, boy was I relieved that the ghosting kicked in, just in the nick of time!

It's the first that makes contact who gets the penalty. It was changed a couple months ago. The Italian would have gotten the penalty. It could indeed be track limits. That whole track is a track limit nightmare.

Wow, some really heavy posting going on here.
Thought, I'd share one of my favorites:
Dirty scumbag just can't handle my overtake and punts me off.
Because he is too stupid to even do that cleanly, he also goes off.
Not sure if I got the 3.000 seconds for hitting the wall, though. Not sure why he gets 3.000 seconds.

After review, I see that my 3.000 pops up just a fraction of a second before I hit the wall!

Last edited:
Not sure if I got the 3.000 seconds for hitting the wall, though. Not sure why he gets 3.000 seconds.

After review, I see that my 3.000 pops up just a fraction of a second before I hit the wall!

A replay would help here, as well as driving with radar. What I see is, he has a better corner exit, wants to come on your inside, you are already aiming for the next apex and cut him off a little bit, while it looks like his car breaks out a bit at 0:12. His wheels are still pointed right, it does not look deliberate. You don't adjust in time, or rather your car gets pivoted more into him, which pushed him onto the grass where he likely lost control resulting in ramming you.

A wall penalty is always 5 seconds, can't have been that. However this is the first time I have seen both cars get a penalty. There might have been enough time for the game to see it as two incidents. First you push him on the grass, 3 sec for you, Next he loses control on the grass and rams you off, 3 sec for him.

Interesting situation, but I don't see a dirty scumbag here. It all resulted from that first contact where you were already steering into the next corner, while he was still completing the previous one. Your lines intersected, racing incident.

It's impossible to say from bumper cam (It's impossible to race with it without knocking people off the road tbh) but it's possible the second contact is from him losing the car on the grass, it's easy to do with CSA banned now. I'm not really sure why you didn't lift off when you were on the grass, the wall had pointed you back at the track and the car that hit you was dead, 2nd place was all yours.

If you look at Incident 6 up there, there was no (or very little) lag involved. A clear collision sound, affecting both of us dramatically, force of impact was severe and he went into the sand. Yet no penalty. I did cut the corner in a failed attempt to avoid which perhaps made the system see it as an 'accident'.

Leave track and ghost would be abused by people taking short cuts to dive through other cars...

That's not how racing works though. Only when you have significant overlap before turn in do you have the right to the apex. Diving to the apex is not a valid strategy.

I shortened your quote, there.
Incident six does have some stuff in common with my 130r Dallara pit maneuver. You had position changing rapidly, you also had you off track first, and also as another variable, the game was in process of giving you the green arrow...
Plus contact was nose to side, not side to side. It’s almost like we need to make a spreadsheet or something logging some contact parameters.

On Autopolis gr4, people just stick their noses in all the time there, and they do it all day in gr4 and below. I’m to the point where I’m not even going to race gr4 and below anywhere due to this problem, which stinks because those races are super fun if fair and you have a few cars to battle.

Whether it’s by design or not, the game does not penalize players who stick the nose in gently or just rub gently or just punt gently, therefore people do that.

So if it’s FIA, I get that, that’s an esport, and they want to allow people to race, not just have a procession where everyone is afraid to make a move and it’s all about tire wear, so I can see allowing it there.

For myself personally, some of the most fun I have had racing in this game was c s, back when a lot more people were playing so you always had c s full rooms. Almost every single race I did then had zero contact of any kind.

It’s like the game is super geared to absolute cutthroat racing, and I am not sure that people like that a bunch for daily pickup racing, FIA ok esport.
I feel like how do you get into online racing if you have never participated before, but might like to try? Or maybe you like racing but only without contact? I mean how many of these barge pass people are higher level players just using backup accounts on dailies to test limits of the penalty system?

Maybe they need to create something a bit different about the dailies to encourage a fun experience. I watched a you tube where the Z man mentioned it, and I think he’s dead right. I think for beginning racers or maybe dailies in general, they should do something different to separate a bit from esport side. Maybe run a stricter pen system, maybe make some kinda deal where people don’t need to run alternate accounts also, like setting an option to where you can somehow lock in a dr value for fia, and then your daily ratings don’t link to fia rating.

Something needs to be done though, When I think back to racing at c s a long time ago, that’s was the experience that drew me into racing more, if I had began with the racing in the dailies as it is now, I doubt I would have continued. I use wheel so it’s pretty much laughably easy to make nonsense maneuvers to get by people, that’s clubbing baby seals, not fun so I don’t do it. The only aspect that keeps me going is the challenge of fighting against those players cleanly. My view is an eye for an eye. If I KNOW a guy wronged me, I will put him off ASAP. Otherwise race as always.

Seriously, something needs to be done regarding the dailies. Maybe just move to contact? Pen for both/all involved...Bring the fun back!

Last edited:
I shortened your quote, there.
Incident six does have some stuff in common with my 130r Dallara pit maneuver. You had position changing rapidly, you also had you off track first, and also as another variable, the game was in process of giving you the green arrow...
Plus contact was nose to side, not side to side. It’s almost like we need to make a spreadsheet or something logging some contact parameters.

On Autopolis gr4, people just stick their noses in all the time there, and they do it all day in gr4 and below. I’m to the point where I’m not even going to race gr4 and below anywhere due to this problem, which stinks because those races are super fun if fair and you have a few cars to battle.

Whether it’s by design or not, the game does not penalize players who stick the nose in gently or just rub gently or just punt gently, therefore people do that.

So if it’s FIA, I get that, that’s an esport, and they want to allow people to race, not just have a procession where everyone is afraid to make a move and it’s all about tire wear, so I can see allowing it there.

For myself personally, some of the most fun I have had racing in this game was c s, back when a lot more people were playing so you always had c s full rooms. Almost every single race I did then had zero contact of any kind.

It’s like the game is super geared to absolute cutthroat racing, and I am not sure that people like that a bunch for daily pickup racing, FIA ok esport.
I feel like how do you get into online racing if you have never participated before, but might like to try? Or maybe you like racing but only without contact? I mean how many of these barge pass people are higher level players just using backup accounts on dailies to test limits of the penalty system?

Maybe they need to create something a bit different about the dailies to encourage a fun experience. I watched a you tube where the Z man mentioned it, and I think he’s dead right. I think for beginning racers or maybe dailies in general, they should do something different to separate a bit from esport side. Maybe run a stricter pen system, maybe make some kinda deal where people don’t need to run alternate accounts also, like setting an option to where you can somehow lock in a dr value for fia, and then your daily ratings don’t link to fia rating.

Something needs to be done though, When I think back to racing at c s a long time ago, that’s was the experience that drew me into racing more, if I had began with the racing in the dailies as it is now, I doubt I would have continued. I use wheel so it’s pretty much laughably easy to make nonsense maneuvers to get by people, that’s clubbing baby seals, not fun so I don’t do it. The only aspect that keeps me going is the challenge of fighting against those players cleanly. My view is an eye for an eye. If I KNOW a guy wronged me, I will put him off ASAP. Otherwise race as always.

Seriously, something needs to be done regarding the dailies. Maybe just move to contact? Pen for both/all involved...Bring the fun back!

Yep, something needs to be done. While I have started to appreciate the flow of Autopolis, most races are not enjoyable due to all the nose sticking and dives in T1 and the hairpin. T1 is a very tricky corner as well for avoiding dives as the slope of the corner makes any correction dangerous.

Now compare a random daily race with a friendly lobby with skilled respectful drivers. Last night @Pigems hosted the daily races and just look at how beautiful the race goes. Especially the first half of lap 2, that radar view is so clean.

Unfortunately I did hit Kaizen at the end of lap 3. I'm not sure what happened, perhaps he lost control a bit and tapped the brakes to stabilize. A lag spike might have played a part too. Luckily nothing really bad happened and @Pigems got lucky :)

I see there were other contacts as well. Even with the best intentions stuff happens. Always try to leave more room than needed and don't get tunnel vision on one car (which I still struggle with) Another might have appeared next to you while you're trying to avoid the one you are focused on. In situations as in lap 2 T2 there I'm looking at the radar trying to keep equal distance to all the arrows around, not really looking at the road, top down view racing.

Unfortunately I did hit Kaizen at the end of lap 3. I'm not sure what happened, perhaps he lost control a bit and tapped the brakes to stabilize. A lag spike might have played a part too. Luckily nothing really bad happened and @Pigems got lucky :)
Was struggling through that whole sector. Couldn't stop thinking - I'm chasing @sturk0167 with @Sven Jurgens behind me this is so cool. Looking in the mirror and being pleased with myself were distractions. :lol:

Was struggling through that whole sector. Couldn't stop thinking - I'm chasing @sturk0167 with @Sven Jurgens behind me this is so cool. Looking in the mirror and being pleased with myself were distractions. :lol:
I didn't know you changed your name. I got completely lucky by having the pole, because it was an inverted lineup and I showed up too late to qualify. I thought there would be some practice time, but I was on my porch drinking a beer when Pigems started the race. Came back inside to see that it started. :lol:

A replay would help here, as well as driving with radar. What I see is, he has a better corner exit, wants to come on your inside, you are already aiming for the next apex and cut him off a little bit, while it looks like his car breaks out a bit at 0:12. His wheels are still pointed right, it does not look deliberate. You don't adjust in time, or rather your car gets pivoted more into him, which pushed him onto the grass where he likely lost control resulting in ramming you.

A wall penalty is always 5 seconds, can't have been that. However this is the first time I have seen both cars get a penalty. There might have been enough time for the game to see it as two incidents. First you push him on the grass, 3 sec for you, Next he loses control on the grass and rams you off, 3 sec for him.

Interesting situation, but I don't see a dirty scumbag here. It all resulted from that first contact where you were already steering into the next corner, while he was still completing the previous one. Your lines intersected, racing incident.

@Sven Jurgens I disagree with your interpretation.
Yes, the italian has a better exit speed. But at 12s, instead of passing in the space @nuu1212 has left on his right, you see that he chose to tap his rear.
Then nuu moves on the right due to the tap (not cutting him off), and then the italian comes back and rams him purposely. If the italian had lost control, then nuu would have gotten ahead and the italian would have spun behind him. He can not gain ground while losing control

@Groundfish
As for what needs to be done, it's fair to say that the 3 biggest issues are :
- nose sticking
- diving / late braking
- weaving

PD needs to make another video clip about clean overtakes and "illegal" overtakes.
make it 1min, and make it mandatory to watch it every time you enter the sport mode

Many people think they are right because nobody tells them what is OK and what is not. If PD displays clearly some guidelines, it will help people to understand and remember the rules.

That being said, there is not much hope that nose sticking will ever be solved, as even professional racers can not stop themselves from doing it IRL. I watch the blancpain race regularly, and this week end again, it was a mess and at least 50% of the crashes were caused by reckless nose sticking.

Last edited:
@Sven Jurgens I disagree with your interpretation.
Yes, the italian has a better exit speed. But at 12s, instead of passing in the space @nuu1212 has left on his right, you see that he chose to tap his rear.
Then nuu moves on the right due to the tap (not cutting him off), and then the italian comes back and rams him purposely. If the italian had lost control, then nuu would have gotten ahead and the italian would have spun behind him. He can not gain ground while losing control

@Groundfish
As for what needs to be done, it's fair to say that the 3 biggest issues are :
- nose sticking
- diving / late braking
- weaving

PD needs to make another video clip about clean overtakes and "illegal" overtakes.
make it 1min, and make it mandatory to watch it every time you enter the sport mode

Many people think they are right because nobody tells them what is OK and what is not. If PD displays clearly some guidelines, it will help people to understand and remember the rules.

That being said, there is not much hope that nose sticking will ever be solved, as even professional racers can not stop themselves from doing it IRL. I watch the blancpain race regularly, and this week end again, it was a mess and at least 50% of the crashes were caused by reckless nose sticking.

Contact started here
9rud.jpg

Instead of Nuu following the normal line to end the corner on the left edge next the curb, he's already heading to the inside. Valid move or not (it's certainly valid when you have room to block, here there wasn't) when you have a car behind you it's not unreasonable for them to expect you to follow the normal exit line.

It doesn't look like he choose to hit him, rather either a lag correction or the effect of the car becoming unstable by trying to avoid nuu. At 0:12 his car suddenly pivots into nuu while his wheels don't change direction. Lag or grip loss, yet no evidence of intent.

Had it happened on the left edge of the road, then the Italian would definitely be at fault. Since it happened in no mans land, that is both had plenty of room to avoid each other, racing incident. Then physics took both for a ride. Tiny initial contact, big consequences.

There is a lot of time during match making and loading. Even pictures of how to overtake clean, what corner rights are etc would help. Adjust them for the track that's being loaded and show random examples of how to pass in each corner during this useless "waiting for other players" time.

Yep, something needs to be done. While I have started to appreciate the flow of Autopolis, most races are not enjoyable due to all the nose sticking and dives in T1 and the hairpin. T1 is a very tricky corner as well for avoiding dives as the slope of the corner makes any correction dangerous.

Now compare a random daily race with a friendly lobby with skilled respectful drivers. Last night @Pigems hosted the daily races and just look at how beautiful the race goes. Especially the first half of lap 2, that radar view is so clean.

I see there were other contacts as well. Even with the best intentions stuff happens. Always try to leave more room than needed and don't get tunnel vision on one car (which I still struggle with) Another might have appeared next to you while you're trying to avoid the one you are focused on. In situations as in lap 2 T2 there I'm looking at the radar trying to keep equal distance to all the arrows around, not really looking at the road, top down view racing.

Did I ever get lucky! I came around the final corner and saw you two moving away from each other, it was like the seas had parted just for me lol. I was wondering what had happened, glad everyone made out ok. :)

That’s the best part about the Saturday Night races, we get to race with people we may never race with otherwise, like @RZQSPEED , we’d never ever get to race with him outside of those races. :)

I didn't know you changed your name. I got completely lucky by having the pole, because it was an inverted lineup and I showed up too late to qualify. I thought there would be some practice time, but I was on my porch drinking a beer when Pigems started the race. Came back inside to see that it started. :lol:

Yeah I’m Still working the kinks out of the starts, I mucked up the grid on the 2nd race too and set it to grid based on previous results instead of reverse of previous results. We’ll have to work out some sort of signal from everyone that they’re ready to go, and maybe have a 5 minute break between races or something for those that’s need it. I’m glad you made it out though man, that was a fun night. :cheers:

I still can’t believe we’ve got @Sven Jurgens doing Lobby races! :lol:

Last edited:
I believe that’s @JohnEB he was hauss_industries on PSN before but he changed his name.
He did pretty darn well, last night. We were neck and neck for a few laps at Fuji. We had a routine going, where I'd get to his inside at turn 1, then he'd shoot by me on the outside, and I spent the rest of the lap trying to reel him back in. It went the same way for 3 or 4 laps straight, until he just flew off the track.

Can you experts please jump to the 3:20ish mark of this vid and explain exactly why I got a penalty in the first place let alone why it was so severe (and ultimately race ruining)?

Guy spins out ahead of me, I avoid him (barely), run a bit wide as a result, boom. 5 seconds. :mad:🤬

Whyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

Did I ever get lucky! I came around the final corner and saw you two moving away from each other, it was like the seas had parted just for me lol. I was wondering what had happened, glad everyone made out ok. :)

That’s the best part about the Saturday Night races, we get to race with people we may never race with otherwise, like @RZQSPEED , we’d never ever get to race with him outside of those races. :)

Yeah I’m Still working the kinks out of the starts, I mucked up the grid on the 2nd race too and set it to grid based on previous results instead of reverse of previous results. We’ll have to work out some sort of signal from everyone that they’re ready to go, and maybe have a 5 minute break between races or something for those that’s need it. I’m glad you made it out though man, that was a fun night. :cheers:

I still can’t believe we’ve got @Sven Jurgens doing Lobby races! :lol:

What I remember from my lobby days in GT5, always let the host pass or you'll get kicked :lol::lol::lol:

And yes dammit, first @Invisigoth gets me into liveries, now I'm in a lobby, what's next, qualifying? Never!!! Oh wait I qualified in your lobby, tricked again :mad: I did enjoy Autopolis in reverse during practice, works just as well.

Can you experts please jump to the 3:20ish mark of this vid and explain exactly why I got a penalty in the first place let alone why it was so severe (and ultimately race ruining)?

Guy spins out ahead of me, I avoid him (barely), run a bit wide as a result, boom. 5 seconds. :mad:🤬

Whyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

Damn two penalties for one incident again. Perhaps something has changed. First bumps second onto the kerb where he spins out. First rightfully gets a 3 second penalty for that.

You are the unlucky bystander. I had to step through the video to find the contact point, there was.
Right before contact your speed is 142 kph while you are on the gas
Fsud.jpg

Then you speed drops to 138 kph wile still on the gas
Isud.jpg

Ergo there was contact.

Very little but apparently enough in this case to warrant another penalty. You are all DR.B, however your DR is close to DR.A while the other two are at 22K, no clue if that played a part. Why 5 seconds, I have no idea. I have seen DR.B drivers get away with only 1 second for substantial punts into the sand. Why you got a penalty while the game already found the other guy responsible, I have no idea :(

One other thing that might have influence on severity of penalties, perhaps braking or accelerating at time of impact plays a role.

Damn two penalties for one incident again. Perhaps something has changed. First bumps second onto the kerb where he spins out. First rightfully gets a 3 second penalty for that.

You are the unlucky bystander. I had to step through the video to find the contact point, there was.
Fsud.jpg

Isud.jpg

Ergo there was contact.

Very little but apparently enough in this case to warrant another penalty. You are all DR.B, however your DR is close to DR.A while the other two are at 22K, no clue if that played a part. Why 5 seconds, I have no idea. I have seen DR.B drivers get away with only 1 second for substantial punts into the sand. Why you got a penalty while the game already found the other guy responsible, I have no idea :(

One other thing that might have influence on severity of penalties, perhaps braking or accelerating at time of impact plays a role.

Awesome analysis. I didn't notice the contact at all.

Nice work Det. Jurgens of Crime Scene Investigation: GTPlanet. :sly:

Sorry @Groundfish. I just realized this is the wrong thread. I'm blaming Sven. :lol:

Oh, damn it. Double post. Sorry about that too.

Noway, I think it’s great to show contrast between how fun respectful racing is. Look at the radar in @Sven Jurgens vid. Like five cars racing close. No touching!

Racing in @Pigems casual fun lobby really show the potential of the game, very fun. I would have stayed for Fuji, even though I can barely keep a car on track there, but I was drained after running fia then going lobby on a bunch of tracks and classes I don’t know well.
The thing was that’s fun to do when you have respectful competition. I never would have had the game on at all, but I knew there would be nice folks in his lobby...
That RZQ fella was quick!
I highly recommend the @Pigems lobbies when they open.

On topic, There’s been so many videos posted here in this thread with penalties I haven’t had time to really look them over close. I am watching the postings though for anything out of the ordinary...

I like @Sven Jurgens format, multiple views are really good. It’s always hard to say with just one view.

Last edited:
Noway, I think it’s great to show contrast between how fun respectful racing is. Look at the radar in @Sven Jurgens vid. Like five cars racing close. No touching!

Racing in @Pigems casual fun lobby really show the potential of the game, very fun. I would have stayed for Fuji, even though I can barely keep a car on track there, but I was drained after running fia then going lobby on a bunch of tracks and classes I don’t know well.
The thing was that’s fun to do when you have respectful competition. I never would have had the game on at all, but I knew there would be nice folks in his lobby...
That RZQ fella was quick!
I highly recommend the @Pigems lobbies when they open.

On topic, There’s been so many videos posted here in this thread with penalties I haven’t had time to really look them over close. I am watching the postings though for anything out of the ordinary...

I like @Sven Jurgens format, multiple views are really good. It’s always hard to say with just one view.

Thanks. I forgot to save the replays of today's races unfortunately. Most of them were observed while driving behind so clear enough I think. The problem is: I save the live footage at the finish, then go to trim that, forgetting that trimming a video suspends GTS and thus throws you out of the post race lobby losing your chance to save the replay. Save replay first, then trim video!

I need to figure out how to get the telemetry info on the replay. I've seen that before, steering, braking, gas pedal inputs. Has that been removed or am I simply going blind. It would be useful to know if the other car is steering into or away at time of impact as well as whether they are braking or accelerating. You can hear when they are accelerating, yet the others aren't that easy to figure out.

Dirty scumbag just can't handle my overtake and punts me off. Because he is too stupid to even do that cleanly, he also goes off.

It looked like he thought you were trying to run him off of the track. You didn't stay at the edge of the track and blocked his exit line. This happens a lot on turn 1 because slow exits don't naturally end up at the edge of the track and people naturally turn in early despite the track still going to the left.

That impact destabilized your car and knocked you more to the right putting him into the grass. From his perspective it would literally look like you chopped his exit line and then tried to run him off of the course.

It's a poor reason for him to completely lose his mind and to throw his race away but at this point juvenile online behavior doesn't surprise me anymore.

Fsud.jpg

Isud.jpg

Ergo there was contact.

One other thing that might have influence on severity of penalties, perhaps braking or accelerating at time of impact plays a role
Thank you very much for the insight!!! Looks like when in doubt, lift momentarily so you can argue you tried to slow down or something.

Sven, hit the gear wheel on the lower right then display race info. might have to hit options first...
You can see telemetry when display all is set. R1 toggles viewpoint. L1 switches cars targeted. Circle toggles the info...
If you have a spare usb keyboard f1 will take away driver names if it’s plugged into the console, plus it has other features as well.
I’m not sure if you can see cockpit view of another driver unless they are using cockpit. I know I can see mine, but tbh I don’t run across enough people who use it to see how that works.

I have a feeling you will see a lot of full throttle and not much lifting or braking when looking at penalty ridden lobbies :)

Thank you very much for the insight!!! Looks like when in doubt, lift momentarily so you can argue you tried to slow down or something.

Yet lift too much and you get SR Down from the car running into your back or worse
8Zi1As8.gif

Here I tap the brakes a little because I don't trust what's going on in front of me, penalty.

GT Sport: Crash first ask questions later. Lap 1 of 12, must win before the hairpin.

It looked like he thought you were trying to run him off of the track. You didn't stay at the edge of the track and blocked his exit line. This happens a lot on turn 1 because slow exits don't naturally end up at the edge of the track and people naturally turn in early despite the track still going to the left.

All is lost. If not even people watching a replay can spot an obvious punt, how could any algorithm ever do it?
We probably need to wait for Google Deep Mind to enter the game...
See you. NOT.

All is lost. If not even people watching a replay can spot an obvious punt, how could any algorithm ever do it?
We probably need to wait for Google Deep Mind to enter the game...
See you. NOT.

Do you have a replay? After your car unintentionally pushes him into the grass, he's not visible for 2 seconds until his car punts yours. In 9 out of 10 cases people over correct on the grass, causing the car to veer back onto the road just to leave the road on the other side again. The nature of physics has your car in the way of his losing control of his car. What comes up, must come down, or in GT Sport, what goes onto the grass, comes shooting back onto the road.

i guess cause we touched and he went off afterwards​

Yeah the game can't (or won't) make the distinction between a car out of control hitting you and going off or you tapping a car while in control. The game should be very aware of grip loss and/or going at weird angles compared to the racing line and it usually is by ghosting cars out of control. In this case the angle was not enough yet to trigger ghosting. (Plus I guess there's less ghosting in FIA, there definitely is at higher DR levels) He's at a 45 degree angle when he taps your back right, on a straight. That should be enough to determine it's not your fault.

Last edited:
Back