The penalty analysis thread

• Thread starter Groundfish
  • 123 comments

Groundfish

(Banned)
United States
United States
The idea behind this thread is to post video examples of racing incidents and discussing penalties and sr down or lack thereof after the fact and try to get a better handle on why these are given...or not...

Well, the idea of this thread is not to label the pen system a piece of expletive.
It’s to use video to objectively analyze the existing system.

Well, the idea of this thread is not to label the pen system a piece of expletive.
It’s to use video to objectively analyze the existing system.

The only problem is that is implying there is only one penalty system, there kind of isn't. It seems that different rules are enforced depending on SR, then the same with different DR levels and when there are mixed rooms you'd have no idea who was what DR+SR when they start whacking each other about, all as the system ignores or almost randomly hands out punishment. :crazy:

In the video I posted earlier today in the daily races thread I was the only one punished after he hit me multiple times on the straight eventually causing me to lose control and hit him off the track. 4 second penalty that was. Nothing for him at all, even when he hit me off after I pitted which was before the main incident. :lol:

The only problem is that is implying there is only one penalty system, there kind of isn't. It seems that different rules are enforced depending on SR, then the same with different DR levels and when there are mixed rooms you'd have no idea who was what DR+SR when they start whacking each other about, all as the system ignores or almost randomly hands out punishment. :crazy:

In the video I posted earlier today in the daily races thread I was the only one punished after he hit me multiple times on the straight eventually causing me to lose control and hit him off the track. 4 second penalty that was. Nothing for him at all, even when he hit me off after I pitted which was before the main incident. :lol:

Well, one assumption might be that the system has tiers. I honestly don’t know, but I am going to use this thread to delve into as deeply as I can and maybe with the help of others it may be possible to learn something since PD does not give us a rulebook...But, back to my issues today that I was harping on in the other thread...

On this incident the only thing I know for sure was there was an overtake initiated, contact occurred, and there was an sr down arrow.
So I took this photo
F4DAE500-9883-4295-B8AA-E08E298F61B5.jpeg

So we see on radar the two cars are side by side in the middle of a long sweeping right hand corner...
Now, this is me in time trial replicating the inside cars position...
ACB7E7A9-A73C-4B42-96C2-07A8DFAA8362.jpeg

Good position on racing line. This is how it looks from chase view...
E8D5D51F-52AF-450B-86C9-5D3E31F95465.jpeg

So we know that the two cars are side by side here from the original drivers post...
So car off the racing line is about here...
374C8C37-4519-4589-A971-6B385A91D424.jpeg

So, in this case this driver MUST turn rightto stay on course. He’s right here...
FFA3669B-DA2B-467F-9FEB-3D6B656BA6FE.jpeg

So the car that got ahead got sr down. I commented that maybe the system should have done more such as giving a penalty.
The person that replied first totally disagreed and said it was a good pass. As far as my personal opinion I disagree since it’s squeezing a guy off track, which is what transpired.
Clearly there’s disagreement on this. I don’t know how the pen system works, but it gave a penalty to the car who as soon as the competitor in front ran a touch wide goosed it and went straight on the racing line to the apex of the left hander onto the straight.
I get that people think that’s a good move and bad system but personally I am not so sure, which is why I began this thread.
Let’s start fresh.
No assumptions. Let’s look at a case by case basis and see if we learn anything over time. I’m not sure I wanna continue on this specific incident, but if you pop in game and look at the positions and the cones and line, it may make more sense why I feel as I do...

Edit
In racing everyone’s gonna get penalties and sr downs. This stuff happens fast, and nobody’s judgement is perfect, but algorithms are not magic. They are like math.
Maybe we can figure some things out.
What the heck PD? The rule book is don’t do things that make you look bad?
Let’s try to dissect this pen system.,.

Attachments

• 292C6052-1B01-4DD8-83EE-47578A7CAAA0.jpeg
    292C6052-1B01-4DD8-83EE-47578A7CAAA0.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Lag complicates that example as at 0:07 in the video the car on the left suddenly shimmies to the right against all possible physics rules.

I'm still turning right as well at the point of impact. Then after it upsets my car veering me to the left a bit, I recover by then indeed steering to the next apex since the road is now clear. I have no clue if the game looks at what happens after. Previously I have left room for cars that aren't there anymore and still gotten a penalty. So I stopped doing that and simply drive by radar. If space, use it. It's clear my car was affected by the bump as the next car coming from behind has a much better exit from the corner.

Anyway we need some examples with equal DR (rule that difference out first) and some false negatives. Bump someone off road without getting a penalty or get bumped off road with receiving a penalty while the other car stays on the road (false negative on their side)

False positives I have aplenty. For example:
2l3OysQ.gif

He loses control all by himself, clips me on the way out

Or here without the other car losing control first.
I have corner rights, other car doesn't respect them
mTgw6zP.gif

I still leave room for the car that's not there anymore

Here's a false negative, explained by lag
HYUVTfg.gif

I never touch him on my side, yet I definitely punted him on his side.

Now a mystery case, probably DR difference related
Why do I get SR Down here
35TPQxt.gif

Anyway I don't have the full version of these anymore, need new examples in full resolution.

Well, I’d say it’s not against all physics examples lol, but we don’t wanna get into that here in this thread much. It is true that if you do look at his brake lights he taps just before you get overlapped, so his car is under steering and he’s trying to correct it, so he lifts, taps brakes, whatever to tighten the radius of his turn. The car passing him keeps going as if nothing is wrong. I don’t have his telemetry(86 driver) but I can see his brake light come on. He ran wide and was trying to save it and make the turn.
He clearly wasn’t going off track, his exit was toast though so he’s a sitting duck on the straight.
Would I have lifted? I personally hate that exact type of situation, because you kind of don’t know what that cars gonna do, it’s semi out of control in many cases like that. I never am sure how to handle when someone runs wide and gets the rear swinging, just 2 cars is ok, fine to slow, but in traffic it’s super dicey sometimes they end up coming across the track right across your line, but slowing means good chance of causing a pile up...very tough situation. It’s luck of the draw, do you gamble on hammer down and hoping to win the pinball or try to avoid and get taken out anyways? Many times nothing a person could do would be right in that situation, but the algorithm is always working even if I don’t know what it is... That’s racing... Safest thing is lifting and giving space though often we just can’t react fast enough or make a mistake in the heat of the moment.
So, the point? Lol
You got two cars mid corner, leading one runs a bit wide and lifts the other overlaps then maintains racing line but remains overlapped (doesn’t get the overtake completed) No room on track for two cars, almost same as running someone off from the game video, incident would not have occurred if overtake had not been initiated.
Penalty. That’s opinion of mine and we know how the saying goes. As two racing friends we would probably argue that for forever so I’ll just say maybe we disagree a bit and move on.
maybe the reality is two cars collide one goes off boom penalty to the other like you say. Just lately I put up that video of me pit maneuvering a rival at 130 r in the Dallara though. No pen no sr down, I hit him and he went all the way and smashed the wall. False negative. It’s in one of those clips I put up that day, I will find it, problem is it’s not a ps recording. I wouldn’t have done it if he hadn’t smashed his way by another car and tried to include me in the fun by attempting to punt me at Spoon trying to get fifth to third by bashing, I just saw red. Didn’t care if I took myself out at all...Those overtake features can come in handy...
But that leaves us nowhere.
The trouble I have with the gif in that view is it’s tough to tell exactly where the cars even are relative to each other, and there’s no reference line or cones. Imo the gif is not enough info. Chase cam view is best from both cars perspective for analysis imo.
In terms of types of penalty we got what shortcut-strong weak side contact on off wall contact strong weak and flag rules off on
Like I said let’s start fresh here. So we have 4 settings in a lobby related to penalties if passing under caution can give a penalty or failure to allow a fast car past when flag is blue can give a penalty don’t know about those either. Can breaking flag rules cause penalty?
So above we were talking about overtaking so here is an excerpt from. Ross Bentley book regarding this...I should assume a good penalty algorithm could not violate these basic general concepts...
F1BD7BBF-FB8A-4316-8D0F-ED1BF2F7E993.png
C1657D14-CADC-4CEC-BF93-718742CA421D.png

Last edited:
I admire your hope that the game actually applies some sort of racing rules. I'm afraid that past 'rudimentary' braking zones I have not seen anything that points to that. There is a point where a draft bump SR Down gets transferred to the car behind, namely in those braking zones. Which actually fits the 'benefiting' theory. The car that benefits from a collision (gains speed / stays on road / loses extra speed in braking zone) gets the SR Down and/or penalty.

Btw there is no penalty for ignoring blue flags. You can mess with cars as much as you want when lapped. It was quite annoying in the F1500 race since they still throw up lots of dirty air while driving through you, nvm blinding you by diving straight through you.

There are yellow flag penalties and those have a very simple algorithm which has bit me a couple times. Especially in T1 on N24 it shows its simplicity. I have gotten the 3 sec yellow flag penalty there simply because the position indicator (ranking board) switches around in the chicane, no passing, just the geometry of the turn temporarily switches places around. Even if your position only changes for a microsecond with a car that was not part of a totally unrelated earlier accident, you get the yellow flag penalty.

As for your examples, the answer is right above... Suzuka T1 is as clear of an example as you can get.
I should assume a good penalty algorithm could not violate these basic general concepts...

Anyway I'm curious about your example of where you should have gotten a penalty yet didn't.

I’ll put up the 130r clip later of as you call it a false negative.
I was reading some FIA stuff for F1 as well as the Blancpain GT racing.
There’s surprisingly little specific rules on etiquette. Pretty much don’t cause contact, don’t run cars off track, penalties include dropping spots on grid.
They in general say it’s up to the overtaker to do it safely...
Here’s an excerpt from the FIA sporting code:
84D5256C-F312-4DAE-98AB-6D371963CE8C.png

So any automated penalty system in this FIA game has to be based on these general concepts.
Contact in general is technically not prohibited only contact that gives lasting advantage.

Last edited:
Lol, if that were applied to sport mode... It does make a case for the 'benefit' theory. Anyone coming out better than the other car after contact is automatically guilty!

Anyway the game doesn't care how much you swerve back and forth, how much you crowd or push a car off the track, how much room you leave, and contact from behind is rewarded by penalizing the car ahead. Bump passes go unnoticed by the penalty system, abnormal changes in direction (swerving in corners to block) go undetected. GTS has a long way to go to implement these very general rules.

@Groundfish What do you consider contact that does not result in an advantage? Apart from losing control and bumping another car, imo any deliberate pushing or contact is for your advantage. Whether it pays off is another thing.

Last edited:
Here’s a prime example, the guy that tries to spin me out gets no penalty, then, I get no penalty for returning the favour. :lol:

First incident you didn't go off road, so no penalty for him.

Second could be two things or a combination.
First is there seems to be lag involved. In the replay he clings to your bumper for almost a second before taking off. The live replay would be better at determining if it was a lag punt saving you from a penalty.
Second, were you maybe still DR.B on that account at the time? The car you hit is DR.A. I've been punted off by DR.B while driving as DR.A without the DR.B getting a penalty.

I'm guessing lag was involved since that punt looks very odd in the replay.

First incident you didn't go off road, so no penalty for him.

Second could be two things or a combination.
First is there seems to be lag involved. In the replay he clings to your bumper for almost a second before taking off. The live replay would be better at determining if it was a lag punt saving you from a penalty.
Second, were you maybe still DR.B on that account at the time? The car you hit is DR.A(around 35k-ish). I've been punted off by DR.B while driving as DR.A without the DR.B getting a penalty.

I'm guessing lag was involved since that punt looks very odd in the replay.

On his hit on me I’d Say your right, I didn’t go off in order to trigger his penalty.

I hit him 100% on purpose though, it was a textbook punt on my part and I was fully prepared to take my penalty for doing so. I don’t know what his DR was at the time but I know I was DR A(around 35k-ish), that’s why I was so shocked when I didn’t get a penalty. Maybe lag did have something to do with it?

I did accidentally bump a different guy off in the same spot that week though where there may have been some lag involved, because I got off free with that one too, unfortunately I don’t have the clip of it though. On my end he braked quite a bit earlier than I do going in and I couldn’t get on the brakes quick enough to avoid him. I felt terrible about that one and slowed down after rounding the corner to give him his place back.

@Sven Jurgens, hey man sorry I haven’t got back, stupid life getting in the way of gameplay and investigating penalty system. I owed you the clip where I did not receive a penalty for my horrible outburst at 130r.
Here is the clip. Obviously I am posting it even though it’s not a gameplay recording, but take my no word no pen or sr down was issued this time...I was fully ready to accept consequences, but they never came. I’m the orange car.

Let’s call that exhibit A lol.
The thing is I did not post the fia stuff saying that I think that’s in the pen system. I don’t know what’s in there. I am starting fresh. I am not assuming I know about it, and your experience is invaluable in really trying to figure out what is allowed and what is not in this game. From the fia stuff we know contact that results in a driver gaining positions is strictly prohibited from fia view irl. I have to believe the systems designers had something like that in mind. Contact as you have been saying is very key. Contact is obviously the trigger and I have a feeling you may be on the money regarding the ‘system’ being quite simple. You have the most experience with it of anyone I know.
It seems that in lobby you can set degrees of strength to side contact lens so clearly they can adjust severity of triggering the pen and obviously adjust severity.
I see a big tell I think in my example, all these cars didn’t show lag I was aware of. In your opinion why did I pit maneuver my fellow racer and system wise get away scot free? I made contact and he crashed into a wall off track. We are talking a bit of theory now, and what triggered my theory about why is something you mentioned before...No reason we can’t have a little fun here...What’s your theory as to why I received nothing not even sr down?
You gotta go first :)

On his hit on me I’d Say your right, I didn’t go off in order to trigger his penalty.

I hit him 100% on purpose though, it was a textbook punt on my part and I was fully prepared to take my penalty for doing so. I don’t know what his DR was at the time but I know I was DR A(around 35k-ish), that’s why I was so shocked when I didn’t get a penalty. Maybe lag did have something to do with it?

I did accidentally bump a different guy off in the same spot that week though where there may have been some lag involved, because I got off free with that one too, unfortunately I don’t have the clip of it though. On my end he braked quite a bit earlier than I do going in and I couldn’t get on the brakes quick enough to avoid him. I felt terrible about that one and slowed down after rounding the corner to give him his place back.

The bigger the speed difference the bigger the effect of lag. The more you 'intent' to punt, the higher the chance lag will help you get away with it. In case he was lagging, thus receiving your telemetry late, your car would be forward predicted on his screen in braking zones. Since you intentionally did not start braking until too late, his client would still have been processing your acceleration data (or delayed deceleration data) from earlier, thus your car would be maximum ahead at the time of impact. it's possible that a small discrepancy in upload and download lag means your car hit him first on his client, yet your client received his sudden acceleration just in time for your client not to register a forceful enough bump to trigger a penalty.

The penalty systems works in that spot, remember this one lol.
ySuGwOR.gif

Something laggy was going on as the (reconstructed) replay shows the cars glued together for almost 300ms. Since you were still going about 116kph at the start of impact (on the replay), that's almost 10 meters that the cars are traveling merged together before the front car suddenly takes off with a lot more momentum than what you lost during the contact. Conservation of energy was violated!

Online racing is a bunch of alternate realities coming together. Each client reconstructs a copy of your car (and every other car) based on the telemetry coming in from your client which arrives at a slightly different time on every other client. None of the copies of your car behave exactly the same as the one you are driving. The biggest miracle is that it actually works most of the time.

It's the only way to do it though. If a central server would handle all the car physics and send out synchronized results to all clients, we would all be driving with horrible and variable input lag.

@Sven Jurgens, hey man sorry I haven’t got back, stupid life getting in the way of gameplay and investigating penalty system. I owed you the clip where I did not receive a penalty for my horrible outburst at 130r.
Here is the clip. Obviously I am posting it even though it’s not a gameplay recording, but take my no word no pen or sr down was issued this time...I was fully ready to accept consequences, but they never came. I’m the orange car.

Let’s call that exhibit A lol.
The thing is I did not post the fia stuff saying that I think that’s in the pen system. I don’t know what’s in there. I am starting fresh. I am not assuming I know about it, and your experience is invaluable in really trying to figure out what is allowed and what is not in this game. From the fia stuff we know contact that results in a driver gaining positions is strictly prohibited from fia view irl. I have to believe the systems designers had something like that in mind. Contact as you have been saying is very key. Contact is obviously the trigger and I have a feeling you may be on the money regarding the ‘system’ being quite simple. You have the most experience with it of anyone I know.
It seems that in lobby you can set degrees of strength to side contact lens so clearly they can adjust severity of triggering the pen and obviously adjust severity.
I see a big tell I think in my example, all these cars didn’t show lag I was aware of. In your opinion why did I pit maneuver my fellow racer and system wise get away scot free? I made contact and he crashed into a wall off track. We are talking a bit of theory now, and what triggered my theory about why is something you mentioned before...No reason we can’t have a little fun here...What’s your theory as to why I received nothing not even sr down?
You gotta go first :)

Lag was involved as the first 'hit' was a no contact hit that send you wide (at 0:21) Magic force field hit.
Then at 0:39 first contact there is also a hit with air. Some people blame the boundary boxes, I blame lag for those no contact hits.
The final hit does show actual contact.
PBtd.jpg

However, correct me if I'm wrong, it seems you leave the road first.
QBtd.jpg

If you did not receive a shortcut penalty for taking the grass there, that means that the game detected contact which send you off road first, thus you get excused for any shortcuts taken in the process and the other car got SR Down and maybe a penalty (depending on DR)

Lag was involved as the first 'hit' was a no contact hit that send you wide (at 0:21) Magic force field hit.
Then at 0:39 first contact there is also a hit with air. Some people blame the boundary boxes, I blame lag for those no contact hits.
The final hit does show actual contact.
PBtd.jpg

However, correct me if I'm wrong, it seems you leave the road first.
QBtd.jpg

If you did not receive a shortcut penalty for taking the grass there, that means that the game detected contact which send you off road first, thus you get excused for any shortcuts taken in the process and the other car got SR Down and maybe a penalty (depending on DR)

If it was a magic force field hit, why was it that he was going 116 a foot from my bumper on spoon when I was going 95 and braking a touch? Seriously. It was a hit.
I will simply say that he started second this race, got taken out by someone else and I was on worn tires, that doesn’t change the speeds of the cars, the telemetry is what it is.
Re going off track though for me, that’s a possibility, but I also cut the final chicane a bit on Suzuka and roll the dice, of all my laps there I have only gotten penalized 2-3 times...Track cut pens seem unreliable to me at best.
My theory was the position swaps that happened in a short time frame right there had something to do with it,

So, where does that leave my thinking? I still am unsure.

I know that contact is a concern, at release pretty much any contact led to penalty for both players.
The problem they had and still have is blame assignment, so my idea is if we say okay first step is for the game to detect contact, that’s step one.
Just throwing this out there but IF PD was concerned with contact leading to position swap there is a lot to concern a programmer with in a seemingly quite simple system.
First detect contact second detect position change, If I had to guess right now I’d have to guess that blame assignment in like your Monza or Nurb GP t1 could get very weird if it was based on position swap. There’d have to be a delay of some sort IF (hypothetical) blame assignment for contact were based on position swap.
So for determining a pen it’d be like contact detected-some processing based on some algorithm-blame assigned.
Contact alone is complex, clearly they show us they can make side contact penalties more or less sensitive, then throw in lag...
I mean I am heavily leaning towards you being correct because you have so much experience, and usually the simplest solution to any problem is best.
I mean you gotta slow down a bit and imagine you are explaining this to a three year old.
We gotta establish the steps necessary to program this deal...All I have so far is detect contact.
It’s true, there is not just obvious contact. Magic force field around car absolutely is real especially with open wheel. You cant stick a wheel in on someone like in karting and send them flying in GT Sport.
Maybe detect contact, determine severity, if severity is enough, assign blame and pen or something.
I really don’t know it’s a fun thing to think about though.
Turn 1 Nurb gp, at games release people were being punted off and incurring a penalty at times due to the both parties blame assignment problem.
I’d love if anyone has it to post a recent bump draft penalty video. I don’t have one and I have never seen this problem that exists that so many people complain about.
Or a tap tap sr down video...I’ve heard about this, but never seen it...

Edit, if they had better collision physics, blame assignment might be easier. Pinballing cars t1 in a hard braking zone....

If it was a magic force field hit, why was it that he was going 116 a foot from my bumper on spoon when I was going 95 and braking a touch? Seriously. It was a hit.
I will simply say that he started second this race, got taken out by someone else and I was on worn tires, that doesn’t change the speeds of the cars, the telemetry is what it is.
Re going off track though for me, that’s a possibility, but I also cut the final chicane a bit on Suzuka and roll the dice, of all my laps there I have only gotten penalized 2-3 times...Track cut pens seem unreliable to me at best.
My theory was the position swaps that happened in a short time frame right there had something to do with it,

So, where does that leave my thinking? I still am unsure.

I know that contact is a concern, at release pretty much any contact led to penalty for both players.
The problem they had and still have is blame assignment, so my idea is if we say okay first step is for the game to detect contact, that’s step one.
Just throwing this out there but IF PD was concerned with contact leading to position swap there is a lot to concern a programmer with in a seemingly quite simple system.
First detect contact second detect position change, If I had to guess right now I’d have to guess that blame assignment in like your Monza or Nurb GP t1 could get very weird if it was based on position swap. There’d have to be a delay of some sort IF (hypothetical) blame assignment for contact were based on position swap.
So for determining a pen it’d be like contact detected-some processing based on some algorithm-blame assigned.
Contact alone is complex, clearly they show us they can make side contact penalties more or less sensitive, then throw in lag...
I mean I am heavily leaning towards you being correct because you have so much experience, and usually the simplest solution to any problem is best.
I mean you gotta slow down a bit and imagine you are explaining this to a three year old.
We gotta establish the steps necessary to program this deal...All I have so far is detect contact.
It’s true, there is not just obvious contact. Magic force field around car absolutely is real especially with open wheel. You cant stick a wheel in on someone like in karting and send them flying in GT Sport.
Maybe detect contact, determine severity, if severity is enough, assign blame and pen or something.
I really don’t know it’s a fun thing to think about though.
Turn 1 Nurb gp, at games release people were being punted off and incurring a penalty at times due to the both parties blame assignment problem.
I’d love if anyone has it to post a recent bump draft penalty video. I don’t have one and I have never seen this problem that exists that so many people complain about.
Or a tap tap sr down video...I’ve heard about this, but never seen it...

Edit, if they had better collision physics, blame assignment might be easier. Pinballing cars t1 in a hard braking zone....

Yes it was a hit, but that's how the algorithm works. The hit was only detected on one client. The other client sees the car magically going out of the way and thinks nothing of it. Client 1 asks client 2, did you hit me, client 2 denies a hit, no penalty is issued. A better system that can detect whether contact was inevitable will prevent lag punts from escaping without a penalty. They will still happen, yet if the client reconstructs the actual paths of the two cars with synchronized time codes, it can detect whether the hit was inevitable or whether lag displacement caused the contact.

I've gotten a shortcut penalty for taking the grass there, they work in that place. The final chicane is pretty forgiving though.

Contact detection is bloody hard with asynchronous clients. You control your car in real time, all other cars are forward predicted versions based on older data. If the brake information from the car behind you is delayed by a (small) lag spike, that car can easily hit you. Your client resolves the bump on your end, you are already screwed. Then it turns out that the car behind you actually did brake in time and never hit you on his client. Now what? Your client keeps running on in real time and can't rewind the accident that never really happened. You can't really blame the other car either for matters out of their control.

Severity is another problem. If contact is already uncertain, how do you accurately determine the force of impact when you're dealing with delayed acceleration and steering data. The server could help with that by replaying the sequence with the actual telemetry of both the cars synchronized until the point where one client detects contact (and thus dirties any further telemetry)

If the contact somehow would have happened before either client detected anything, then the server can very accurately compute the force of impact. If one client detected it early (because of false forward prediction of a car due to late acceleration data) then the server can try to extrapolate that car's vector (of the one that detected contact early) and try to guess whether impact would actually have happened and how severe it could have been.

Yet is that fair? Each driver can only react to the circumstances playing out on his screen. Even then, is it fair to have to predict the actual position of a car that's visibly lagging?

And as you see, if contact, severity, angles and positions involved are all unreliable between clients, how would you make better collision physics? The problem is the internet is too slow for synchronous racing which would feel like the game being streamed from a server. It works with asynchronous clients, that is every client runs the race themselves while receiving telemetry for all the other cars. Yet with all the different timing involved in receiving data, it's impossible to make accurate collision physics. It would play out differently on each client or rather you would simply see the solution of what the other client calculated happened to their car. That's why collisions often look so weird as you see what your car did vs what happened to the other car as calculated on their client. If it looks off, it's not because of bad collision physics, it's because it happened differently on each client.

It's fun to think about and I have dealt with the issues of forward prediction while I was still working with GPS navigation. You want to see your screen reflect the actual position and orientation of your car, yet the gps data is always 1 to 2 seconds old by the time you see it. 30 to 60 meters behind at highway speeds. The delays are much shorter in GTS, yet the speeds are also much higher and there's no assumption that cars simply stay in their lane :)

Here's my favorite revenge tap to win experiment
pnFlN4G.gif

Draft tap, tap wall just before finish, and I give the car ahead 3 sec penalty taking his position (he deserved it)
You can see his position changing to 5 after crossing the line.

This is a fun one. First hit contact when he tries to block me too late. Then the game ghosts his second attempt at ramming, he goes through me and hits the wall. Contact, resulting in wall hit, I get a time penalty. It's even more fun when different systems start interacting lol
2VucxlT.gif

Another old one. Dive bomb clips me then hits the wall since he was never going to make that corner. Contact, wall hit, I get the penalty.
X6SoVWf.gif

Here I get tapped from behind by a car that can't make T1, contact, wall hit, I get the penalty
4SexmSP.gif

It's a curse to be able to stay in control of the car :lol:

Back to how to determine who needs a penalty:
- Severity of contact is uncertain
- Point of contact between two cars is uncertain
- Position and direction of the other car is uncertain
Now how would you assign a penalty based on the bump. The game tried before but that was deemed too unreliable. Now it looks at the after effects. Does a car go off, penalty. Does a car benefit, SR Down. How it actually determines who benefits is a good question. A draft bump resulting in more speed causes an SR Down for the car ahead, benefit. How the game determines benefit in side by side contact in corners, I don't know. Perhaps DR plays a bigger role there.

To apply actual racing rules the game will have to analyze all the movements leading up to contact instead of looking at the result. The server could do that using synchronized telemetry together with the two versions as played out on the clients involved. Then it can start looking at track position, valid defenses, leaving room, braking on time etc. This costs a lot of resources and time to make. Plus we can debate endlessly on here about a single incident, how is an algorithm supposed to rule consistently. You will need some kind of learning AI to deal with all the different tracks and car combos with tire wear and slipstream affecting brake points and possible lines to take. Collect all the incidents that happen in sport mode, feed it through an AI with human stewards correcting the ruling until prediction is accurate enough. A massive undertaking.

That's not to say some simple rules could improve a lot already. Now to figure out where to start and what simple rules will be effective.

Last edited:
Here, this is the sort of thing that can lose you SR in this game. :lol:

Not sure what I'm supposed to do here, at least I didn't get a penalty, it's happened like this before. :crazy:

@ASH32
Yep, that one stinks. I was alluding to that above. Nothing you can do. No fault.
I think the game sees contact there car off track and dings you sr for involvement in an incident.
I’m pretty sure that logic changes by track location.
In certain areas it may give a pen.
I think punishment for contact changes with location.

I think it's because the other car came from off track that no time penalty was issued. The SR Down was for contact. Had he kept 2 wheels on the track before spinning into @ASH32, @ASH32 would likely have gotten a time penalty. See my post above where I hit the Au Tom's spinning into me, or this one. Car spins out, I have nowhere to go but stay on the road while the spinning car goes off.
SSakZuq.gif

Yeah it’s still consistent with your view @Sven Jurgens
I don’t know if anyone has more examples of car spins in front of you and goes off track after you hit them and getting no pen just sr down.
Seaside 2 t4? The last weird left before going up the hill that’s happened to me with the person running wide and flying across and I hit them...

Personally I think especially in n cars like a Tsukuba the ‘barge pass’ is okay under the current system.
If you pass someone on the inside and rub paint it’s ok.
There’s some hit threshold that if the hit is not hard enough (strong or weak setting in lobby, potentially more adjustments in sport on their server) there will be no pen even if the car getting hit gets run off line.
Imo that ain’t right.
That’s contact-car gains lasting advantage-receives no pen.
I know if you hit them off you will get slapped with a pen.

Also re tech side I found this
https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-to-feature-dedicated-servers-for-sport-mode/

So lobby is peer to peer still afaik.
Like I played the same folks in sport and lobby before and in lobby they lagged, but in sport no noticeable lag.

Last edited:
Dedicated servers doesn't mean much though. The server does the matchmaking, creates the room, keeps track of SR updates from the clients and calculates DR exchange at the end. The server maintains the connections tot he clients and all it seems to do during the race is relay the traffic to all clients. Your client uploads your car telemetry, and the server sends it out to all other clients, as opposed to the lobby system where all traffic has to go through one client (the host). If the host has trouble, the entire room lags or crashes.

However I don't think the dedicated server does much more than being a glorified router during the race. It might drop you out when your connection gets too bad. Perhaps the server is in control of ghosting laggy cars, but clients can do that too.

A lot more contact seems to be allowed in N class cars and even GR.4. Maybe it's simply a by product of everything happening at a slower speed so naturally bumps are less severe and stay under the hit threshold. It's one of the reasons I don't like slow cars as there is so much contact going on in those races.

Yeah, what I like about this exercise is kinda knowing the games rules better.
If you’re entering gr4 and below some jostling and stuff is allowed.
I can prepare myself for that going in.
When I get pissed about it it’s because of my own ideas, which really have nothing to do with what this game allows.
I’m thinking someone wronged me when in fact they are playing by the rules the game allows.
That’s one reason I compromise laptime in race on hairpins, due to the slow speeds and low force of contact at like Suzuka they are popular spots for people to barge pass.
The game allows it by design.
So I circumvent it by running super tight entry.
Most players aren’t ready for that when following and I end up with a better exit.
Most try to run the faster line, no matter if others are in chase or not.
Bottom line I think without question gr4 and below the game allows barge pass on inside as long as you don’t put your opponent off track. You may get sr down but if you run high 90 sr that doesn’t matter at all.

So far we have yet to see a single example of contact car off track equals pen that can’t be explained with that one rule.
Contact itself clearly has measurable levels of severity because there’s strong and weak settings.
I’ve hit cars off track and not gotten pen but it’s gonna take digging in library to find...
I think my 130 r had added factor of me going off almost same time and maybe position change also had something to do with it. I’m curious about if position change has any affect at all on pen severity or sr down...
Mid corner position changes can go back and forth quickly with contact depending on the corner.....

Last edited:
I disagree that the game allows barge passes (for low speed cars) by design. The rules clearly state it's a no contact sport, all contact is strictly prohibited. That the game can't distinguish between accidental contact and a barge pass is a fault in the design, or rather a limitation due to the complexity of determining severity of contact, let alone intention behind contact.

Yet as long as you don't get caught, it's allowed is no valid reasoning. But true, you have to close the door and compromise your own lines to stop barge passes from happening or drive yourself off the track to trigger a penalty for the other car.

My guess is that the force of impact and DR level determines the penalty amount which varies between 1 and 5 seconds. At least that's how it used to be. Perhaps it's a bit different now as it seems harder to get rid of that pesky SR Down for getting draft bumped by bumping the wall after, while it's a lot easier for the car behind to give the car ahead a penalty by bumping the wall right after. So perhaps position (change or not) does have some bearing on the penalties.

Right those are FIA official irl rules. GT Sport states in the video that it’s a non contact sport.
If I’m not mistaken at release this game at any contact penalized both cars, but everyone hated that so much they changed it.
Interestingly in FIA Blancpain gt it’s stated in the irl rules that a pro driver involved in an incident with an amateur will be more heavily penalized than the am which matches again your idea about severity of pen in game when it’s A vs D
So like in game for yourself running from the back, the game should be strict on pens unless you are in a room of all a or above.

As far as how to race re friendly nudge passing, whether it’s by design or not, the fact is in a slow car it’s not gonna give you a pen. I think in any car the ‘nudge’ is not penalized so that’s what happens. I’m prepared to race like that.
I’d say there’s a personal view of good and bad racing, but irl if you can track cut for example to save time every racer will cut if it helps them. In this game if a little rub is allowed, if I want to I will rub on by.
That’s racing. That’s maybe not by design but that’s what it is. You push as far as possible without getting a pen...

Last edited:
Actually no, at release contact was far more forgiven. The strict penalties were introduced much later because the bumping, grinding and brake checking in sport mode was getting out of hand. Then indeed the top players started complaining that any little rub resulted in a 10 sec penalty. PD caved and basically admitted they couldn't get the fault detection working right and toned down the penalties, improved ghosting, more and more until finally abandoning the old system and going with this new, if contact and car goes off -> penalty, instead of trying to figure out who hit who where.

Still penalties were often wrong so many fixes were made (mainly for cars coming back on the road and multi car pile ups) and in the process toned down further until we finally go a little swing back the other way with the penalty zones. For that the shortcut penalties were toned down as well and lastly the penalty zone ghosting issue was fixed.

However on the track, bumping, barge passing etc has been on the rise again. People have also figured out how to (ab)use the penalty system to their advantage. I don't think it's impossible that PD will swing it back the other way again at some point to clean up sport mode. The severe penalties did make everyone very aware of not making contact for a while.

The comparison with FIA is flawed. FIA has no lag and there are real lives at stake and expensive damage to keep people 'in check'. The etiquette videos are still the same, it still says contact is strictly prohibited. There are no friendly nudges, especially not with a little bit of lag in the mix.

Anyway, all the contact is putting me off racing this week. I tried race A, lot of pushing and bumping. Same in race B, people simply use their car as a wedge to pass. The one C race I did looked like a farce as well in the backfield. Hopefully next weeks GR.3 race will be a little more behaved.

This video was posted in the fia race forum, so a plus room.

It’s very close but looks like the offending car registered as having made an overtake before impact as far as the game is concerned. So did the system see this as the victim bumping a car off track to gain position or is the system even THAT smart?

Question is does position changing influence the contact one car off penalty?

If you are ahead of the car you contacted and he goes off does the system do the same thing?

Last edited:
Ok nothing new or unsurprising in these two videos just proof of how the system works. First is what is not allowed just because car leaves the track.

It was an accidental tap because I put a wheel on the grass, he could have left a bit more room too, like I did when he forced his way down the inside previously but anyway it's a 2 second penalty to me.

This however is not only allowed but almost encouraged.

Late move on me using me to make the corner, but I don't leave the track so it's fine. However that is not the only story, when they intentionally left the track to start all this they earned the German driver a penalty too. I checked the replay and that was the only time the German had any contact where a car left the track, so it must have been the cause.

Back