The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Awesome. Now clean up and make it smaller, than sell. lol

I wonder what you used on the plug side of things. I never could find the right plug to put in there.

Very nice itrdc5! Been thinking of doing something similar for awhile now but just can't find the time:( The T500RS really lends itself well to this as long as you have that hub.

Can someone let me know if all the above buttons on the lotus wheel will work on ps3?
will all the varieties of modded t500 wheels function fully on ps3?

Can someone let me know if all the above buttons on the lotus wheel will work on ps3?
will all the varieties of modded t500 wheels function fully on ps3?

The above wheel of itrdc5 will work on PS3. If you look in the video, the wheel is recognized as the original GT wheel. So it uses the same input channels so to say.
So yes, it will work.

Not all modded wheels will work on PS3. For example the F1 rim with SLI screen build in has a separate USB cable to make ot operate fully.

Awesome. Now clean up and make it smaller, than sell. lol

I wonder what you used on the plug side of things. I never could find the right plug to put in there.

No, that would just be ripping Sam off. Plug is something Sam made up. I do have a Momo Mod27 by Sam that I bought used from an alien; someone with over 6.5k iRating cannot be human :) and it's very well made. Although it is expensive when taking everything into account, I think it is actually very reasonably priced.

The T500RS really lends itself well to this as long as you have that hub.

Actually, the reason I got the board made is so that I can use it without that hub. Sam didn't want to sell his board separately. The idea is to use it with the original GT hub as per the image below. Now to find a connector. Know where I can find one for Plan A below or something suitable for Plan B? Prefer not to hardwire so that I can still use the original GT wheel.

15-05-20138-35-23AM_zps288141c3.png

Marcus, sorry, I used your image without permission. If you like me to remove, just let me know but there is a link to your Momo 27C/SLi-Pro/Carbon Fibre masterpiece. ;)

...lotus wheel...
Hope you know it's only a Lotus sticker badge. http://3dcarstickers.com/. Choose your diameter and choose your badge or make a request. You can supply your own designs too. Lotus was a request. Here are some diameters for some wheels:

G25/G27: 40mm
T500 GT wheel: 45mm
Momo wheels: 55mm

Last edited:
Looks more like a GT 5 with Service Pack 1 than a complete new game. At least from the images above.

Glad the T500 is still the wheel to get though.

Those Pods weren't designed with the T500's pedals in mind. They look very uncomfortable

The pedal angle is too straight for the height of the chair. I had my pedals like that, but inverted, with the only difference that I sat lower than they do. Still have my clubsports at that angle as well, which is the max angle of the rSeat pedal plate.

These rigs were designed with easy in/easy out in mind for people of all ages I think. Which seems logical at expos and conventions.

In any case if I had to drive in a car like that for an entire day, while doing 120 km/h in fifth gear... you can bet that I will have a foot that's locked into place (which hurts like hell).

The pedal angle is too straight for the height of the chair. I had my pedals like that, but inverted, with the only difference that I sat lower than they do. Still have my clubsports at that angle as well, which is the max angle of the rSeat pedal plate.

These rigs were designed with easy in/easy out in mind for people of all ages I think. Which seems logical at expos and conventions.

In any case if I had to drive in a car like that for an entire day, while doing 120 km/h in fifth gear... you can bet that I will have a foot that's locked into place (which hurts like hell).

I can't have my pedals at a steep angle. My Playseat (G25)just about killed the front of my ankles. Same with my Obutto, I have to use the very lowest setting with the pedal plate resting on the front bar. If I use any of the angle settings, I won't be able to walk the next day. I have my heel on the base of the pedals. Having a steep angle puts a ton of pressure on the muscle next to my shin bones.

Now, if I dangled my feet in the air with the only contact being the balls of my feet on the pedal face, I could utilize pedal angle adjustments. I can't see constantly resting my feet solely on the pedals. It feels very unnatural and awkward.

I'm not quite sure what I could do. I know there is a benefit to having your feet higher. But how could I achieve this without crippling myself???

I can't have my pedals at a steep angle. My Playseat (G25)just about killed the front of my ankles. Same with my Obutto, I have to use the very lowest setting with the pedal plate resting on the front bar. If I use any of the angle settings, I won't be able to walk the next day. I have my heel on the base of the pedals. Having a steep angle puts a ton of pressure on the muscle next to my shin bones.

Now, if I dangled my feet in the air with the only contact being the balls of my feet on the pedal face, I could utilize pedal angle adjustments. I can't see constantly resting my feet solely on the pedals. It feels very unnatural and awkward.

I'm not quite sure what I could do. I know there is a benefit to having your feet higher. But how could I achieve this without crippling myself???

What kind of angle are your legs in? Mine are only slightly angled, but definitely more stretched than in my car.
In my rig the pedals are further away from my wheel than in my car. This to compensate for the lower seating position, which increases the angle or my legs and thus my feet.
Basically the position is in between a normal car and a Formula car, even the angle of the steering wheel is less. I keep my wheel not horizontal F1 style, but also not at a car type angle. So if the CSW angle plate is 15 degrees, my angle would be about 7.5 degrees.
So it might not be realistic for either position, but I made it comfortable for my body and for switching between car seating styles.

The Obutto has a raised seating position. The pedal plate has 4 total positions; flat on the floor, resting on the front frame bar, then there are 2 positions that the plate can be bolted to the "A pillar" part if the front frame.

http://www.obutto.com/instructional_videos.html

My pedals can be positioned as far as I want from myself. I am seat just as high though, at least what I can see from the pic.
If I wanted to have my pedals this close I would have to lower the pedal plate as well. Else I would end up with either the issues that my feet will hurt due to the steeper angle and that I most of the time will have the gas pedal depressed a bit as my foot doesn't bend far enough back/upwards. At which point I'd control the throttle more with the right leg, which increase fatigue due to the constant movement of that leg weight.

My wheel deck fully articulates and I can also move the pedals forward & back...

...but after experimenting with various angles/positions in GT and F1 modes...

I found that my T500 pedals feel the most natural on an incline when used in GT style.
I also reversed the orientation of plastic pedal spacers.

T500Deck_zps759e2f53.jpg

Hwangm also uses his T500 pedals in GT style slightly inclined on his HRC.

cockpit-copy.jpg

so guys I'm really on the edge here. Here is the situation
I already have a G25 and I'm currently in the process of building my own PVC racing rig. I love the G25, everything is working perfectly, etc.

But! I found a deal on Craigslist and the guy is selling his T500Rs + Dirt 3 + a stand (which I would probably re-sell anyways) for $450.
Should I do it or just stick with G25??? Honestly is it THAT big of a difference and it's worth THAT much of a difference in cash???? Help me out please :P

I already have a G25 and I'm currently in the process of building my own PVC racing rig. I love the G25, everything is working perfectly, etc.

But! I found a deal on Craigslist and the guy is selling his T500Rs + Dirt 3 + a stand (which I would probably re-sell anyways) for $450.
Should I do it or just stick with G25??? Honestly is it THAT big of a difference and it's worth THAT much of a difference in cash???? Help me out please :P

For that money, I'd say buy a new T500 and get Dirt 3 via a steam deal.

T500 was definitely a HUGE step up from the T500 for me. Noticibly more accurate and faster, not to mention quieter. It made me faster on track for sure and I for sure started to enjoy my games more. I probably even can say that the upgrade made me rediscover my games.
A half a year to a year later I went back to the G25 for sake of comparing it. What I noticed most of all was the extremely huge deadzone around center on the T500. It ruined my impression of it in hindsight as I really started to wonder from that point on how in the world I could have played my games with the G25. After that was the noise of the gears and darn rattling type of force feedback.
These types of let downs while comparing let me wonder how I could've ever bought the thing, but of course at the time there wasn't even a G27. So let alone a T500.

I don't know about anyone else, but this was just my experience with my transfer. :)

For that money, I'd say buy a new T500 and get Dirt 3 via a steam deal.

T500 was definitely a HUGE step up from the T500 for me. Noticibly more accurate and faster, not to mention quieter. It made me faster on track for sure and I for sure started to enjoy my games more. I probably even can say that the upgrade made me rediscover my games.
A half a year to a year later I went back to the G25 for sake of comparing it. What I noticed most of all was the extremely huge deadzone around center on the T500. It ruined my impression of it in hindsight as I really started to wonder from that point on how in the world I could have played my games with the G25. After that was the noise of the gears and darn rattling type of force feedback.
These types of let downs while comparing let me wonder how I could've ever bought the thing, but of course at the time there wasn't even a G27. So let alone a T500.

I don't know about anyone else, but this was just my experience with my transfer. :)

a new T500 is $600, is it not?? the guy is offering it to me for 450 and he barely played it.
How is shifting with the clutch??? On G25 the manual shifting is really bad... it's not realistic at all, is T500 better???
I'm mainly planning on using this for GT5 and all upcoming GT games since I only have a PS3 and no good PC to run this on

a new T500 is $600, is it not?? the guy is offering it to me for 450 and he barely played it.
How is shifting with the clutch??? On G25 the manual shifting is really bad... it's not realistic at all, is T500 better???
I'm mainly planning on using this for GT5 and all upcoming GT games since I only have a PS3 and no good PC to run this on

Is it still 600? I thought the price had come down at some point after I bought it in 2011. Than I haven't said anything.

About the clutch. Since you can invert the pedals, the clutch and gas pedal are equal in feel. So there is no difference there.
That said, John Bodin (the guy who made the load cell mod for the brake), is working on a realistic clutch for the T500 pedals.

Link: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280079

Also shifting in GT5 simply sucks donkeywood to be honest. This is with any wheel I have tried. The G25, the T500 and the CSW.
You have to fully lift the foot off of the clutch until you finished your shift and have re-engaged the clutch (let go of the clutch pedal).
So even when the clutch pedal is fully depressed to make a good shift as you expect, as long as there is still a hint of throttle input... garanteed missed shift.

I would NOT buy a T500 without that full 2 year warranty. Unless it is REALLY cheap, like 50 bucks cheap. Save that $450 and add to it, get a T500 when GT6 comes out. You WILL be impressed.

I would NOT buy a T500 without that full 2 year warranty. Unless it is REALLY cheap, like 50 bucks cheap. Save that $450 and add to it, get a T500 when GT6 comes out. You WILL be impressed.

Wow, $50 cheap? You can't even buy a Gamestop wheel for $50 :P
So by that I'm assuming you're trying to say that the T500 breaks down a lot and is not very reliable???

Is it still 600? I thought the price had come down at some point after I bought it in 2011. Than I haven't said anything.

About the clutch. Since you can invert the pedals, the clutch and gas pedal are equal in feel. So there is no difference there.
That said, John Bodin (the guy who made the load cell mod for the brake), is working on a realistic clutch for the T500 pedals.

Link: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280079

Also shifting in GT5 simply sucks donkeywood to be honest. This is with any wheel I have tried. The G25, the T500 and the CSW.
You have to fully lift the foot off of the clutch until you finished your shift and have re-engaged the clutch (let go of the clutch pedal).
So even when the clutch pedal is fully depressed to make a good shift as you expect, as long as there is still a hint of throttle input... garanteed missed shift.

Yup it's still 600 :( http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=aps&field-keywords=t500rs&rh=i:aps,k:t500rs

but oh alright. I'm hoping GT6 will vastly improve the clutch lol.

There have been horror stories about the T500 reliability. With moderate use, I've replaced my fan. There have been recent posts of people's springs going bad. When you do get one, do not settle for anything less than the current hardware version, V5 I believe. My warranty expired last Feb. I use it even less now.

It definitely does not have the build quality of a $2000 wheel. With that said, I never had any hint of a problem with my G25 that I used often from 2008 until 2011.

This T500 reminds me of an expensive super car, performs great, but "could" be really fragile. As they are not meant to be a daily driver ;)

I wouldn't get it unless it comes with the original sales slip. Without that you can't obtain warranty service on whatever may remain of the original 2 year warranty. The sales slip will add piece of mind that the seller is legit and did not acquire it via 5 finger discount.

Clutch works fine for me on T500 since about 3 GT5 updates back, I use it whenever the real corresponding car to the in-game car has a manual trans. I do the GT5 online TTs using the H-shifter when real car has one too.

Re-calibrating the H-shifter gate's neutral zone with the TH8RS utility really helps, short shift plate an lower knob/shorter shaft helps too.

Last edited:
There have been horror stories about the T500 reliability. With moderate use, I've replaced my fan. There have been recent posts of people's springs going bad. When you do get one, do not settle for anything less than the current hardware version, V5 I believe. My warranty expired last Feb. I use it even less now.

It definitely does not have the build quality of a $2000 wheel. With that said, I never had any hint of a problem with my G25 that I used often from 2008 until 2011.

This T500 reminds me of an expensive super car, performs great, but "could" be really fragile. As they are not meant to be a daily driver ;)

As a bit of a counterpoint, mine is a V1, and it was one of the first T500 wheel sold in Indianapolis when they first became available, I believe (maybe THE first).

It's seen a lot of use, and I've not had any problems with pedal springs (yet, could happen at some point, but I see no signs of wear). My fan got noisy and TM sent me a replacement just before my warranty expired, but I haven't installed it yet (fan works, just makes more noise than it used to, still cools though).

My T500 doesn't feel fragile at all -- it reminds me of what you'd get if you combined Toyota reliability with Ferrari performance, and I'm 100% confident in it every time I sit down to race or just do laps.

I have a V1 as well. I think it actually feels smoother than the day I took it out of the box steering wise, although my brake has developed an annoying squeak...

V1 here too, at the 5 month mark the only issue I have had is a noisy fan (which I also had with most of the competitor's wheels owned).

Thrustmaster promptly sent a replacement which I have yet to replace as the fan still provides great cooling and the noise usually dies down after the first minute or two.

The wheel is used about 4x a week for 2 to 3 hour sessions. As Jon Bodin posted, mine doesn't feel fragile at all either. Previous to my T500 I owned most of the competitor's product line.

I also have a V1, one of the very first Amazon shipped out. My fan had the typical loudness, no big deal as I'm accustomed to hearing a desktop PC turning on its after burners.. That loudness in my T500 went from loud to odd grinding. The replacement Thrustmaster sends now is a larger fan and it is mounted in a different position. I

Sometimes I go a couple of months without rearranging my basement to use the wheel. So, naturally, I get noises similar to when it was new and needed to be broken in. The throttle and brake squeaking for a little while after they have gone unused. I also have the throttle sticking when I release from maximum position. Almost like there is something sticky, such as tape residue. All of these little noises dissipate after things get back broken back in.

Whenever the opportunity arises, I recommend the T590. It is simply the best wheel on the market for the PS3. So why am I paranoid about failure? Well, probably because of the Internet. When I got my PS3, I kept it clean, had fans around it to circulate the air, and have it in an open area with nothing that could trap heat. With my first Fat Boy, Folding At Home probably killed it. My replacement lasted much longer, I didn't do any Folding At Home and I assume it had better thermal paste. Nonetheless, it died too. I have 3 dead PC's that suddenly just gave up. Modern electronics are not built to last and the cost A LOT more than they should.

For me, reliabilty hasn't been the issue; what's frustrating is the Kafkaesque process required to get a problem resolved. I had a problem with a flaky gas pedal in February. It took 3 months, 20 something email exchanges, me having to take and submit numerous photos - and me having to find and pay someone to solder in a replacement potentiometer - to finally have the thing work normally again. Unbelievably frustrating, to the point where I dropped $100 on a new Logitech Driving Pro GT JUST to have a wheel to use, and just to have a backup should the T500 bite the dust again.

Back