The Watch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,456 comments
The Samurai returns:

4ea00b33786ba74c804645597a6ae5698746dee3.jpeg

That's an excellent looking thing right there. I've been eyeing up the Samurai for a while but I just can't justify it since I own a Black Monster and a Turtle.

That's an excellent looking thing right there. I've been eyeing up the Samurai for a while but I just can't justify it since I own a Black Monster and a Turtle.

I can't justify it myself, therefore I sold my turtle (it had the infamous misalignment chapter ring). I kept the Hamilton of course, as it is a gift from my significant other.

I can't justify it myself, therefore I sold my turtle (it had the infamous misalignment chapter ring). I kept the Hamilton of course, as it is a gift from my significant other.
Ah, that makes sense. Shame about the chapter ring, it's one of the reasons I bought mine secondhand.

I wonder how hard it is to build a wrist watch. I had this (probably) stupid idea, because I have a subject that implies creating and executing a CNC program, therefore I can mill a case and a bezel. What about the rest? How hard is it to source a movement, glass, dial and that stuff alike?

As @Shaun said, it's pretty easy to find the parts. Bare movements from Seagull, Miyota, and ETA can be easily had. Even better is the availability of stems and crown for all of those. The cases are the tricky part, and you've got that on lockdown. @AlvaroF , think you could make some cases for Bulova 5, 6, and 7 movements? I have a hoard of them, but only one case.

PHOTO DUMP IMMINENT

I've been tinkering and getting back into watch repair. House reorganization and a free roll-top desk have only aided and abetted the hobby.

I'm down to a collection of only 3 watches for my own use - a Nixon Conquer I've had since 7th grade, my trusty 1955 Bulova 23 jewel, and a Pobeda 7 jewel on an orange NATO strap. The Pobeda is the "working on stuff because the watch is a tank" watch, and the Bulova is for every other purpose.

I've got a 1957 Bulova 23 that I broke after several trips to the shooting range. It takes several hundred rounds of .45 auto to truly anger one of those watches. , which I did. I bought a 1955 23 Jewel because it had an immaculate dial, and I needed a working bulova. The '57 case has scalloped edges, the '55 case had more elegant looking lugs. Scallops won, so the "tri-five Bulova junkyard watch" was born.

Within 60 days, it began acting up. First the crown came undone. That was fixed easily enough. Then the set screw would not function right. The mechanism appeared to work, but then again, it could have been an issue with the stem itself. I tried a different stem. Same issue.

IMG_3426.JPG

Watchmakers, I think, must all be insane. The exact same procedure is repeated dozens of times, the same way, each time expecting a different result. I couldn't test the mechanism on the other movement, as part of the set/détente had been what broke after a few trips to the shooting range. The screw was too easy to turn. Getting to it required lifting plates off, and thus removing lots of stuff. I had spare parts, and pride was on the line.

IMG_3451.JPG

Cleaved in twain. Spare parts!

IMG_3452.JPG

After a few hours, it was alive.

IMG_3455.JPG

Also, spare watch parts.

IMG_3459.JPG

My precious...

IMG_3460.JPG

I had a ladies' Benrus watch that seemed to think a minute was 28 seconds long. It was also a great prop for the argument that quartz movements generally follow ladies' watch sizes.

IMG_3461.JPG

this comically huge monstrosity can fit a size 18 pocketwatch.

IMG_3463.JPG

Garon ladies' watch - has a screw as part of the set mechanism - and it's missing. :grumpy:

IMG_3467.JPG

The olde work bench. Complete with homemade tool block.

IMG_3470.JPG

If someone says lighter fluid isn't a good cleaning solution, that person is probably way too pretentious.

IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3474.JPG
IMG_3475.JPG

I bought an estate lot, and I'm sitting on mounds of movements and parts.

IMG_3476.JPG

New workbench! Mine for the cost of a six-pack of miller lite.

IMG_3484.JPG

And finally, the Bulova needed a new band. So I went to a watchmaker and shot the breeze.

IMG_3491.JPG

He offered me a job. :) Sadly I'm not particularly good at watch repair. I'm better at clocks. Still rusty. It's a hobby, right?

Attachments

• IMG_3462.JPG
    IMG_3462.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3464.JPG
    IMG_3464.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3465.JPG
    IMG_3465.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3466.JPG
    IMG_3466.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 8
As @Shaun said, it's pretty easy to find the parts. Bare movements from Seagull, Miyota, and ETA can be easily had. Even better is the availability of stems and crown for all of those. The cases are the tricky part, and you've got that on lockdown. @AlvaroF , think you could make some cases for Bulova 5, 6, and 7 movements? I have a hoard of them, but only one case.

PHOTO DUMP IMMINENT

I've been tinkering and getting back into watch repair. House reorganization and a free roll-top desk have only aided and abetted the hobby.

I'm down to a collection of only 3 watches for my own use - a Nixon Conquer I've had since 7th grade, my trusty 1955 Bulova 23 jewel, and a Pobeda 7 jewel on an orange NATO strap. The Pobeda is the "working on stuff because the watch is a tank" watch, and the Bulova is for every other purpose.

I've got a 1957 Bulova 23 that I broke after several trips to the shooting range. It takes several hundred rounds of .45 auto to truly anger one of those watches. , which I did. I bought a 1955 23 Jewel because it had an immaculate dial, and I needed a working bulova. The '57 case has scalloped edges, the '55 case had more elegant looking lugs. Scallops won, so the "tri-five Bulova junkyard watch" was born.

Within 60 days, it began acting up. First the crown came undone. That was fixed easily enough. Then the set screw would not function right. The mechanism appeared to work, but then again, it could have been an issue with the stem itself. I tried a different stem. Same issue.

View attachment 718338

Watchmakers, I think, must all be insane. The exact same procedure is repeated dozens of times, the same way, each time expecting a different result. I couldn't test the mechanism on the other movement, as part of the set/détente had been what broke after a few trips to the shooting range. The screw was too easy to turn. Getting to it required lifting plates off, and thus removing lots of stuff. I had spare parts, and pride was on the line.

View attachment 718340

Cleaved in twain. Spare parts!

View attachment 718341

After a few hours, it was alive.

View attachment 718344

Also, spare watch parts.

View attachment 718348

My precious...

View attachment 718349

I had a ladies' Benrus watch that seemed to think a minute was 28 seconds long. It was also a great prop for the argument that quartz movements generally follow ladies' watch sizes.

View attachment 718352

this comically huge monstrosity can fit a size 18 pocketwatch.

View attachment 718354

Garon ladies' watch - has a screw as part of the set mechanism - and it's missing. :grumpy:

View attachment 718358

The olde work bench. Complete with homemade tool block.

View attachment 718359

If someone says lighter fluid isn't a good cleaning solution, that person is probably way too pretentious.

View attachment 718361 View attachment 718362 View attachment 718363

I bought an estate lot, and I'm sitting on mounds of movements and parts.

View attachment 718364

New workbench! Mine for the cost of a six-pack of miller lite.

View attachment 718365

And finally, the Bulova needed a new band. So I went to a watchmaker and shot the breeze.

View attachment 718366

He offered me a job. :) Sadly I'm not particularly good at watch repair. I'm better at clocks. Still rusty. It's a hobby, right?

Such a great post it wants to make me cry. Okay, I'm gender-challenged, whatever, but as a human obsessed with timepieces a post like that strikes a special chord. So much to comment on that I have to read it several times; this way my lengthy and lofty comments will make some sense when I get around to it a few years from now.

The Samurai returns:

4ea00b33786ba74c804645597a6ae5698746dee3.jpeg

Jealous because I'm a sucker for black-faced Seikos.
Wonder if some collector out there collects only Seiko black faces. What a sight to see. :boggled:

10) A Smart Watch.

Now to see if I can chop that down to 5. :dopey:

Thanks, @photonrider . I'm at a loss for words. I'm teary as well.

I assembled a gold Bulova #6 movement and case for my oldest sister's 50th birthday. (read: not working but complete) It would work as a necklace pendant. But, it stopped exhibiting the signs of life, and I was pressed for time.

Bulova 11 parts fit Bulova 10 movements. I've been re-assembling my old 10BPAC with help from junker Bulova 11s. That poor watch was all kinds of messed up. It'll be alive soon, one piece at a time.

IMG_3497.JPG
IMG_3498.JPG

Any advice for painting dials? The dial on my blown-up 10BPAC is in ok shape, but the hands I have give free reign on painting. They're in bare brass. This de Beers band with the light brown is reminiscent of a 70s Mercedes. I was thinking of repainting the bulova dial black and making it look like a speedometer or tach. I've got some clunker dials with bulova spelled in gold letters I can scavenge.

Also, Anyone need Seiko 410 movements or parts? If anyone has any Raketa 2623 parts or movements, please halp.

10 watches? Oh man.

1. A Bulova 23 10BPAC (have)
2. "President Ryan" (A blue faced Soviet Pobeda on an Orange NATO strap - have)
3. An Omega Bumper (cal 342)
4. Orient "Bottlecap" diver
5. Bulova Accutron I
6. Seagull Aviator 21j
7. HMT Pilot with yellow, blue, and whitedial
8. Mido Multifort bumper, sweep second, copper dial (cal 917?)
9. A Lecoultre of some sort
10. A gold Hamilton Langdon with a blue dial.

Last week or so, I looked up Hublot curiously. Man- their watches are expensive! Or at least... from my random Google Images search of Hublot. It is great to learn of different watch makers and see their watches. By the way, I learned of Hublot from some race car or skin for a race car for Assetto Corsa.

Treated myself to this today:
20180415_173004[4901].jpg
I'd been looking at a few watches in the £1,600 price range when I noticed this was on sale in a few stores. I found one where it was down to only £1,085, plus I managed to get an additional 10% off thanks to another offer I had for the same store. Needless to say, getting a £1,625 watch for £976.50 did sway me over the other options a little.

@ildd the Aragon is a fine choice, they pack Miyota movements which is awsome. But from what I know about Aragon their watches tend to be on the big side. Their dive watch is something like 50mm :lol:

@Brett also a solid choice, Orient make some damn fine pieces for the price. Love it.

------------

About my custom watch, I have the stainless steel block ready and waiting, also the tools needed are ready, the technical design is also finished. This weekend I'll run the thing through CAM software and start programming. So soon™ I have something awsome to share

I stop using watches when I got my first mobile phone (I was 12 or 13) but I've been looking around again for a "first grown up" watch recently.

I like this one:

Tissot-Chrono-XL-1-620x350.jpg

Tissot Sport Chrono XL not crazy expensive but very good looking. Has anyone ever got one of these, or similar?

@ildd the Aragon is a fine choice, they pack Miyota movements which is awsome. But from what I know about Aragon their watches tend to be on the big side. Their dive watch is something like 50mm :lol:

@Brett also a solid choice, Orient make some damn fine pieces for the price. Love it.

------------

About my custom watch, I have the stainless steel block ready and waiting, also the tools needed are ready, the technical design is also finished. This weekend I'll run the thing through CAM software and start programming. So soon™ I have something awsome to share
Yea, most of the lineup is for a larger wrist. Luckily this is one of the few that is available in a 43mm size.

@AlvaroF - gad, that must have ticked you off no end and left you champing at the bit.

Are you going to start over? :scared:

Yeah, I'm doing this with my father's help and we broke 2 different drills, which annoyed us, and the work was haulted, but no, I won't start over, I'll be adding material to it with laser welding and because it's going to be polished in the end I'll be redoing the hole and tap all the six holes.

Yeah, I'm doing this with my father's help and we broke 2 different drills, which annoyed us, and the work was haulted, but no, I won't start over, I'll be adding material to it with laser welding and because it's going to be polished in the end I'll be redoing the hole and tap all the six holes.

👍

Obviously some wrinkles to be ironed out as you go along.
Guess all this adds character to the finished product though - a sort of bonding of souls between artisan and object - and you'll enjoy it quite vicariously once on your wrist.

In other news - I challenged myself quite some time ago (challenge was placed here in the thread and Mike Rotch is holding me to it) to find a black-faced Seiko that I would consider (IMHO of course) to be the classic black-faced Seiko of all time - at least to the present. Well, almost 3 years have passed and I have viewed dozens and dozens of black-faced Seikos. Never online - for me instant gratification doesn't involve even a mail drone - I see it, I want it, I buy it. So this was basically stopping whenever I was anywhere near a showcase full of watches.
I even ransacked the Swap Shop to find one (secondhand store filled with dozens of beautiful black-faced Seikos) - I knew it would be what I wanted only when I saw it; I was searching for that iconic 'early' Seiko look - whereby one look at the face (and even if there was no name on it) one would identify it as a Seiko.
The other part of the challenge was getting it as cheap as possible - and an authentic Seiko, warranty from the factory and all.

Finally! Yes! Found it - got the guy to lay it away for me (brand-new in-the-box, and apparently the last of the production run because they're finally discontinuing this ancient though extremely popular model) - and due to pick it up soon.

My Bulovas are going to be ticked-off no end - there'll be a Seiko timing them.:dopey:

Pics when I get over my divorce-proceedings with Photobucket. (It's getting messy.)

c60-43ada2-sokko-bo_macro5.jpeg

Bought myself one of these today (only it's on Nato strap)...
Also bought a bunch of new Natos in funny color combos.

Will post wrist pics when I actually receive it (waiting for shipping now, should be a week or two at most).

Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro 600 (lots a great specs like thick sapphire, ceramic bezel, great movement, all at a value price).

I had been looking to pick up a dressier watch for some time now. I have had this for about a week now:

xCWI1-mqoASIsRXUQOU9fiJ1980yX38IBZHAgNx0uFvFQVfrIAjl_X2PTK4USEuTc5aUq9GlaDX3DEdyGnSOg2tlR5NchYZuoLqG6kx4r4bGxrNuRD1I1-66Y4AG2caDpinnCxeiZILtOQVEdgkCi_veYePZ9t9YTumL8Q2tGjfbKt35emaZo4NoukVcCsWPAI2vhaXyTwxYb4dai34OEdSCo5syszNnHR8a-jJdBCp_BVxn9HoUvfN_HY61kLoWLRZp-hg4wAb3-Bek2E6GmNyufrLOGXOU5-7k89Nw5rhTWDSFkkcs8N2eHPDBndDRTRlAa0HqJlYG_nhvZfkI5QcD_ZuH0GclXuVMmiYeIx_kvKrON6UdKH4gxaNA52q77vqVxP1lAPf0Q8uqqX77qBsmNAKUsW4mslHaiA_ntHjjEOQI8qXbjbRDOlMYFg6GPd0CqkVso9ahjuZWwFLty9ru55DKPJ6FogUq-5Xx9h28xKaJb1gYxA7TgWUYIEQfpfJr1Z7hHv5dxIxjA6cNwLgbQXRqsFoqcnpH7nf1IJrUYl4b9TnrLxZOnOLhUySzk80GoxUpAhJHekeK2hvpE6Ef4-eNHiqpcVAjGPk=w731-h974-no

There is such great lore about that faux four. Well . . . it's not actually faux but actually 4.
Whatever the story - I love that look; balanced, understated, and visually orientated. The name Orient on it just kicks it up to cerebral levels.

Is it just the lighting or are the hands dark navy?

Bought myself one of these today (only it's on Nato strap)...
Also bought a bunch of new Natos in funny color combos.

Will post wrist pics when I actually receive it (waiting for shipping now, should be a week or two at most).

Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro 600 (lots a great specs like thick sapphire, ceramic bezel, great movement, all at a value price).
That's a nice watch, my father has a C1 Grand Malvern which is also made by Christopher Ward. I've looked at those in the past and will probably pick one up one day. The C60 Trident is a fine choice 👍.

There is such great lore about that faux four. Well . . . it's not actually faux but actually 4.
Whatever the story - I love that look; balanced, understated, and visually orientated. The name Orient on it just kicks it up to cerebral levels.

Is it just the lighting or are the hands dark navy?

It is not just the lighting; the hands are indeed navy. I will try and get a better picture.

Glad to see so many of you like it... Surprisingly, I ordered it Sunday and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow! $30 shipping and it made it from Chris Ward in London to Louisiana in just 3 days (could have had it today if it'd have shown up like an hour earlier but it actually arrived in LA around 9am and DHL was already out with their day of shipping).

Will be here for sure tomorrow... I'll post pics when I get home from work, will probably include one of the many Natos (if not all) that I picked up to go with that black wave face.

This shows the hands a little better. This is about as close as I could get with my phone and it still focus on the watch.

hZQJl8yvTHhfJTAW8nqqjsm-3jKdfArd1fg8lSziuW-z7oB_0KIwxr7il3D445kFpBZLSNFrx-5EUkxLkGvEY5dIXpJqbNiNQQQEkdL9r90HxsKfm1rglMIwpQdosEEr6ltQ-SkMXkwhHCOfFI92zqDkUi8mp6pvoBxfqaSnPi4yUtypubb9GvefZBtmuFals4iC1SrVOwsMJZsI50Fws0slZG5UpMug3dxGKRoTZwusDnLO2HSYq7e6FxdLTLApASQm34YzCRrGeXz0wjnan7v4Vzp5NKcAIuBnZLWOZDkKLpPKl9Me1_oqDIZOJJx8X0nsAkVEbnCHtysJlxDjVVd2VoYJijziCLz4A9EaJOExignmunx310jI0ZeDKuR8mZWMaZ-RUJsa3Y5wOpAKEtTqs8On-UQHfJRreHup27EnuQK2JR0fe2C7AWGgC5hGaG0rL38xc20xaU7XvhSVvAWz8EdhO1VFZmde61MjlTyXMt7IBK2Y1JJpw9RLu7y3Q5ZbgrN09TT9LiEJhN__FTpnuTseWVfzHL8pXIllGHNYnTWi3E913HeWm9W3InFY052k2qeAipi6nhXJ4aBTFHTL_hzx0HsbmfXxKaU=w731-h974-no
Mine says hi:
vIE3bsm.jpg

EDIT: By the way, @Brett I highly recommend getting a new strap to replace the factory Orient one, even a fairly cheap Amazon strap is a lot nicer than the stiff OEM one. The 21 mm lug width is tricky but I've found that a nice strap really elevates the Bambino.

Last edited:
I'm on Groupon, don't actually buy a lot of stuff there, signed up to get a cheap membership to Sam's Club. I've bought some bedding, towels, and stuff and they've been rather nice, at really good prices.

I haven't been brave enough to buy a watch, though, except a couple that I KNEW were cheap junk and I wasn't worried about 12 bucks.

Yesterday I received one, though, that I bought on a lark, intending to return it when I saw it and confirmed how awful it probably was. I'm changing my mind, though, and keeping it.

Heritor Conrad. It's a Chinese-made 22-jewel automatic movement, second hand on its own dial, skeleton movement with a window on the back. I really expected it to feel like a piece of junk, but I am quite impressed with it. It's heavy, has a solidly made bracelet band with a good clasp, and is quite handsome. (My expectation was from a knock-off "Rolex Submariner" my son got me when he was deployed to Iraq in 2004. That watch has a cheap band, loses 5 minutes a day, stops after 3 or 4 hours if you're not wearing it, meaning it won't run overnight...)

Anyway, this Heritor seems to be a nice piece of kit! It would never be worth the stated 1600 dollars their web site shows for it, but 140 bucks on Groupon is perfectly reasonable.

42311612784_f7001e0792_o.jpg

Back