Things that confuse/annoy you

• Thread starter UnkaD
  • 2,191 comments
A few things that annoy me:

People turning up late in work and then appearing confused as to why it matters when I have a "word" with them.

People that don't acknowledge changes in speed limits when driving. There's a type who tend to drivealong the country lanes around here at a constant 40mph. If the speed limits were a constant 40mph that would be fine, but they're not, they change between 30mph and 60mph, but no, these people do 40mph in a 30 and also do 40mph in a 60. Infuriates me.

People who step infront of you and stop when walking in a busy area. If you need to stop to look for something/get your berarings/tie your shoe laces etc. step to the side where you're out of the way, don't just stop infront of people trying to get past.
One of my pet hates. They do 80km/h in a 90 zone, then they do 70 in a 60km/h zone. Are they even concerntrating on what they’re doing?

I just watched a youtube video 'cause I thought the topic seemed appealing, but halfway through I remembered that anything video-game-related usually turns out to be annoying. Two guys that keep overreacting to the smallest things and getting hung up shouting phrases such as "what is this game!?" and "wait... wait... WAIT!" or "this is... I just... I... OH MY GOD!" All this for something as simple as driving a car into a guardrail and catching about 10 feet of air, or a character that has a funny hat.

What's starting to get me these days is that one of my nephews is starting to act like these hyped up bouncy manboys and starts dragging conversations to a halt with these fake overreactions to information. "Wait, so you mean to tell me...?" "Yes, we're going to Wal-Mart."
I do play video games with him, and he always has to fill every moment with meaningless commentary and out of the corner of my eye I notice him constantly looking at me for any kind of reaction on my part. I can't fake that crap, though. Any reaction you get from me is a genuine one. When some really off the wall stuff happens we'll have a good laugh together, but if it's just normal gameplay I have no reason to exert my personality, or lack thereof I suppose.

I feel bad about this, 'cause I do love all my nieces and nephews. I just hate what modern internet culture is doing to them. I probably sound like I'm 60, but if I was born just 5 or so years later it's likely that I'd be just like them. :lol:

Are they even concerntrating on what they’re doing?
Of course they are. Tommy just got a tattoo of a coiled brown snake and they're looking for the poo emoji (because that's what the tattoo looks like) and the laughing with tears emoji (because that's how funny it is).

pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png
face-with-tears-of-joy_1f602.png

Attraction of a fly annoys the crap out of me. :P

You know, a young fly which can't leave one alone and is contantly flying around ones head, sitting on ones body, tickling when crawling on the hairs on ones arms, etc ... .

You know, a young fly which can't leave one alone when contantly flying around ones head, sitting on ones body, tickling when crawling on the hairs on ones arms, etc ... .

This happens to me daily. Drives me crazy.

I know mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide we breath out but flies just seem to want to piss us of for the fun of it.

You know, a young fly which can't leave one alone and is contantly flying around ones head, sitting on ones body, tickling when crawling on the hairs on ones arms, etc ... .
I hate those small insects that always go right for the eye or the ears.

Also annoying about flies is how they instantly land on the same spot over and over despite something giant continuously trying to murder them there every time.

I caught the annoying young fly, alive of course and let it free outside.

I'm going bananas because I'm soooo happy now.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
What is the psychology behind someone getting more excited when you tell them to relax? Or if someone is a little rude about something and you say "don't be a dick about it" that makes them angry. Why?

Facebook Messanger Requests I'm sick of random people sending me requests why can't this thing be turned off for none friends?

Not calling them a dick, just saying to not be a dick about something. It's a phrase used to mean "don't be so harsh". Note I'm specifically saying "not" to be a dick, meaning you aren't one yet but you're close, so watch it.

Not calling them a dick, just saying to not be a dick about something. It's a phrase used to mean "don't be so harsh". Note I'm specifically saying "not" to be a dick, meaning you aren't one yet but you're close, so watch it.
That strikes me as six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I think you just have to know me a little to know that me saying "don't be a dick" doesn't mean "hey, you're being a dick" :lol:

I think you just have to know me a little to know that me saying "don't be a dick" doesn't mean "hey, you're being a dick" :lol:
Yet, in human language "don't be [x] about it" means "how you're behaving right now is like [x]".

To repeat, this is supposed to make people less angry? And it's now apparently their fault for not knowing how you use language?

Yet, in human language "don't be [x] about it" means "how you're behaving right now is like [x]".
Not necessarily. Think about how parents talk to young childen. "Don't you put that in your mouth" usually means they're about to put it in their mouth and the tone the parent is using is one to show that the action is wrong/bad. I get that it can be taken the wrong way but people that know me for years now should know better.

Think about how parents talk to young childen.
Hang on a minute, that's going to be really tricky for me to think of...
"Don't you put that in your mouth" usually means they're about to put it in their mouth and the tone the parent is using is one to show that the action is wrong/bad.
So "don't do [x]" means "how you're behaving right now is like [x]" then?
I get that it can be taken the wrong way
There's not really many right ways to take "don't be a dick". And if you "get that", why are you confused about it?

Not necessarily. Think about how parents talk to young childen. "Don't you put that in your mouth" usually means they're about to put it in their mouth and the tone the parent is using is one to show that the action is wrong/bad. I get that it can be taken the wrong way but people that know me for years now should know better.
I think it's easy to look at something like this from the outside and address it as such, but anger is disruptive to rational thought and someone under the influence of it can't necessarily parse common speech inflections, let alone those from a particular person no matter how familiar.

That said, if you're compelled to advise someone not to be a dick, I find it hard to believe it's a preemptive strike, and the toy is in fact IN the toddler's mouth.

Hang on a minute, that's going to be really tricky for me to think of...

So "don't do [x]" means "how you're behaving right now is like [x]" then?

There's not really many right ways to take "don't be a dick". And if you "get that", why are you confused about it?
I'm more confused about the other part that I asked. When you tell someone to relax and that makes things worse. It seems the "don't be a dick" statement can be situational as far as I'm concerned. To each their own.

I'm more confused about the other part that I asked. When you tell someone to relax and that makes things worse.
Well, that can go a similar way. If someone is aggravated or anxious due to some stimulus, their present mental state leaves them less than willing to consider tone in or motives behind the use of "relax," and instead they often take it to be condescending.

Sounds like that's on the mental strength of the aggravated party. The stronger they are mentally the more likely they are to be clear-minded enough to know someone telling them to relax is trying to help?

Sounds like that's on the mental strength of the aggravated party. The stronger they are mentally the more likely they are to be clear-minded enough to know someone telling them to relax is trying to help?
You're fighting human nature with that one.

Tell you what; next time you're in this sort of situation, also suggest that the target of your advice needs to be stronger mentally in order to understand where the advice is coming from...then tell me how much your eye hurts after having been met with fist.

Lizard brain says, "Howdy."

Annoyances:
- Spiders spinning webs on my car. I get aggravated when these little, 8-legged things decide to try making my car their personal insect trap. Go find a tree or something to do that, leave my car out of it!
- Poorly timed traffic lights, I get into slow traffic in my town a lot because of how often the lights on the main road turn red! This is especially annoying whenever I have to drive up north as there's no highways, just main roads with more traffic lights.
- Having to change my password at college every year.

You're not alone. Just recently I was in my basement using my dremel and I had several flies buzzing around my face while I was trying to cut something, which weirdly they wouldn't do it unless I was actually using it. :odd: I eventually got fed up got a fly swatter and started killing them.

Flies buzzing in your face while using power tools = A potential to hurt yourself

It's more than just an annoyance at that point.

Back