Time Trial Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter El_Beardo
  • 2,194 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
A 3rd place now with a new setting , i have reduced my camber to gain braking capacity. It pay a whole second less on my lap. Also some little suspension modifications.
For the gearbox still the same
it's a classic trans flip
Final gear max
top speed mini
Then each individual gear ratio
Then final gear again at 3,200

You can use the 1st gear for slow last chicane and hairpin but you need to perform the out of those corners in 2d gear.

View attachment 863818
View attachment 863819
Congratulations that Spectacular Time hears in millimeters what is the height adjustment?

I still have a big problem in the last part of the circuit. Turn right "campus " to "Stavelot" out to "courbe Paul Frere" is a real enigma for me , i can see the number 1 ghost going away and i have no clue for this.
SPA is still a big unknow for me. Need much more practice to learn all the tricks.
You have All the Reason SPA is a Fabulous Track and at the same time a Very Technical Track in the Slow sectors .. Practice and more Practice much appreciate your generocity with your Setups ..

2:35.898 so far using @praiano63 tune with my own gearbox below, my gearbox seems to be faster than praiano63 ;) and there is still room improvement out on the track, but I need to control the pig.

Transmission
Final Gear At: 4.500
Max Speed km/h: 200
1st: 1.899
2nd: 1.470
3rd: 1.160
4th: 0.949
5th: 0.806
Final Gear: 2.740

Last edited:
Surprised how little interest there is in the Spa combo, I was still in double digits last night when I checked. Maybe the tuning aspect turns people off. I wonder if people will be more willing to participate if we can download tunes from the leaderboard? I mean not all of us visit gtplanet and knows about our great tuning god praiano :P

After playing Spa a lot on ACC the track in GT feels a lot narrower for me which makes being accurate difficult, especially on the entry to Pouhon and Blanchimont. And this is despite playing ACC on a laptop and GTS on a large TV screen. I still get nightmares when hotlapping this track from all the hours I did in GT Academy 2014 :ill:

Surprised how little interest there is in the Spa combo, I was still in double digits last night when I checked. Maybe the tuning aspect turns people off. I wonder if people will be more willing to participate if we can download tunes from the leaderboard? I mean not all of us visit gtplanet and knows about our great tuning god praiano :P

After playing Spa a lot on ACC the track in GT feels a lot narrower for me which makes being accurate difficult, especially on the entry to Pouhon and Blanchimont. And this is despite playing ACC on a laptop and GTS on a large TV screen. I still get nightmares when hotlapping this track from all the hours I did in GT Academy 2014 :ill:
I think it is the car, not the tuning, that turns people off of this one

I think it is the car, not the tuning, that turns people off of this one

I thought there would be more love for the Red Pig, especially around the track where it had so much success IRL. Honestly we've had worst cars to drive (Civic @ Willow and GTO @ Yamagiwa were understeer country) and there were more people participating.

I guess people are also losing interest given it's FIA off season and there are no rewards for TT. I don't know why PD can't give some credit/mileage rewards for specific % in rankings. Back in GT6 time/drift trials we at least had the gold/silver/bronze rewards to aim for.

For example:
Top 10 - 2 million
Top 1% - 1 million
Top 10% - 500,000
Top 25% - 250,000
Any % - 100,000

I thought there would be more love for the Red Pig, especially around the track where it had so much success IRL. Honestly we've had worst cars to drive (Civic @ Willow and GTO @ Yamagiwa were understeer country) and there were more people participating.

I guess people are also losing interest given it's FIA off season and there are no rewards for TT. I don't know why PD can't give some credit/mileage rewards for specific % in rankings. Back in GT6 time/drift trials we at least had the gold/silver/bronze rewards to aim for.

For example:
Top 10 - 2 million
Top 1% - 1 million
Top 10% - 500,000
Top 25% - 250,000
Any % - 100,000
Oh yeah I forgot about that, and the 5 day login bonus. The game is too much of a grind to earn credits to buy cars. Not much incentive imo

Pretty sure the 'lack of interest' in Spa is the cost, $2 million for the car.

Seems many who do not have enough credits are resisting spending more real money to buy it.

Another thing, I note both Praiano and ADAM are using the old, 'Ride height switcheroo' whereby the front is raised high and the rear is well lowered, which was how it seemed to work in previous GT games.

Anyway, just back from my son's Aussie Rules game (Darwin rural area) temp was 36c in the shade.
Now to have another crack at Spa with Praiano's tune. Had a few runs before we left this morning and reduced to 2:34.8.

Wow, those couple more runs put me in 17th position with 2.33.781 and 1st in OZ.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the 'lack of interest' in Spa is the cost, $2 million for the car.

Seems many who do not have enough credits are resisting spending more real money to buy it.

Another thing, I note both Praiano and ADAM are using the old, 'Ride height switcheroo' whereby the front is raised high and the rear is well lowered, which was how it seemed to work in previous GT games.

Anyway, just back from my son's Aussie Rules game (Darwin rural area) temp was 36c in the shade.
Now to have another crack at Spa with Praiano's tune. Had a few runs before we left this morning and reduced to 2:34.8.

Wow, those couple more runs put me in 17th position with 2.33.781 and 1st in OZ.

Hmm good point on the credits. Though IMO 2 million isn't really that hard to get (just under 1 hour of racing Nostalgic La Sarthe if you get clean race bonus everytime). Wasn't there a FIA race early this year with the D-Type? I Imagine that was even worse in participation numbers :lol:

I still don't know what to make of ride height in this game. In previous tuned TTs praiano said they fixed it and reverse rake doesn't work anymore, but this time (and from my own testing), reverse rake do still work to reduce understeer. Why can't PD just get something so basic right...

praiano said they fixed it and reverse rake doesn't work anymore, but this time (and from my own testing), reverse rake do still work to reduce understeer. Why can't PD just get something so basic right...
Let's here what @praiano63 has to say about this ride height.

These one make car Time Trials are starting to get boring and what we need, to have both Time Trials so we can use more than 1 car to choose in these events.

Let's here what @praiano63 has to say about this ride height.

These one make car Time Trials are starting to get boring and what we need, to have both Time Trials so we can use more than 1 car to choose in these events.
I tried your gears "Fordy' with Praiano's set up, did half a dozen laps and managed 2:33.8, just outside my best time.

You are right about them (gears) being quicker, at least until you reach about 250kmh in 4th and have to change to 5th, then it dies in the bum.

Maybe Praiano can explain it? Or even improve on it so 5th keeps accelerating? I fear it can't be done though without drastically changing 1,2,3 and 4th gear.

I note both Praiano and ADAM are using the old, 'Ride height switcheroo'

In previous tuned TTs praiano said they fixed it and reverse rake doesn't work anymore, but this time (and from my own testing), reverse rake do still work to reduce understeer.
I use the ride height in a normal way , according to the real life physics. The main goal with this car /track , on those low tyres grip with full power & lower weight , is to calm down the rear end when changing of direction , accelerating safely and earlier out corners ....
It is just a question of better control to contain the car. Sure top allien drivers with better skills , would raise the rear end and be faster. For beginners , medium to fast average drivers , the option to let the car safer is faster in my opinion.

You are right about them (gears) being quicker, at least until you reach about 250kmh in 4th and have to change to 5th, then it dies in the bum.
I have tested @fordlaser gearbox . I'm not faster myself with it and the 5th last gear is more than 10 kmh too long. the longer 4th gear is nice for some few sectors only where you don't need to upshift. It's a nice build that perhaps fit to other people.
The only lost of performance of this car is when you upshift. Even if it is a custom gearbox , this mercedes gearbox do not perform as other sequential gearbox in the game on a modern car for example. Upshifting cost you a car lenght more or less.
TRL_adam gearbox is faster because he use only 3 gears around the track in the way of 4. I have builded one to test referring myself to his shifting points on replay , but it didn't work for me because as i have explained in an earlier post , i prefer having a better staged gearbox with an extra gear to be able to downshift on corner entry to generate some extra grip and gaining eagerness to reach an apex. Just a question of driving style perhaps , a personnal choice.

Maybe the tuning aspect turns people off.
Tuning in Gran Turismo is DEAD. It's just another game , purpose , with other kind of players . I respect and understand this but i have myself the sensation to have lost a big part of the game . Sure i can still do this for me and a very few others who like to turn a car better but there is no more synergy , no more enthusiasm . RIP
In my opinion , the capacity to turn a car faster is as important as driving skills . This , since the beginning of motorsport . Real or digital world.

GR1 TT 1:20.697 BB-2 908 fap pug. I think thats all the time I want to spend at Interlagos.
Will check my garage for soldable cars, would really like to try that merc :lol:

A 3rd place now with a new setting , i have reduced my camber to gain braking capacity. It pay a whole second less on my lap. Also some little suspension modifications.
For the gearbox still the same
it's a classic trans flip
Final gear max
top speed mini
Then each individual gear ratio
Then final gear again at 3,200

You can use the 1st gear for slow last chicane and hairpin but you need to perform the out of those corners in 2d gear.

RIDE HEIGHT MM = FRONT 120 REAR 80
View attachment 863818
View attachment 863819

I use mph but when I convert it from kmh I cannot get anywhere near your gearbox settings!! I’m completely clueless, your numbers don’t even come close to what I can set mine at....any ideas why ?

I use mph but when I convert it from kmh I cannot get anywhere near your gearbox settings!! I’m completely clueless, your numbers don’t even come close to what I can set mine at....any ideas why ?
Don't use the speed but ratios only.
1st set final gear to the max , full right of the bar.
2d set top speed (autoset) to the minimum full left of setting bar
3d set each individual gear ratio to the number showed.
4th set final gear again at 3.200.

Just proceed in this order and it have to match. Good luck.

upload_2019-11-12_12-39-28.jpeg

I use the ride height in a normal way , according to the real life physics. The main goal with this car /track , on those low tyres grip with full power & lower weight , is to calm down the rear end when changing of direction , accelerating safely and earlier out corners ....
It is just a question of better control to contain the car. Sure top allien drivers with better skills , would raise the rear end and be faster. For beginners , medium to fast average drivers , the option to let the car safer is faster in my opinion.

I see, so you tuned it for more stability. Personally I thought a more oversteery suspension setup would be faster for this combo as there's a lot of time to be gained in 2nd sector. The traction issue out of corners could be mitigated with LSD and gearbox tuning. Might just be my driving style though.

I tried your tune and the modified one ADAM posted and couldn't better my time with my hacked together tune on the first day. I like a softer suspension and lower front camber/toe values to maximise braking. Also tried a 4 speed gearbox setup but didn't really make too much difference.

Tuning in Gran Turismo is DEAD. It's just another game , purpose , with other kind of players . I respect and understand this but i have myself the sensation to have lost a big part of the game . Sure i can still do this for me and a very few others who like to turn a car better but there is no more synergy , no more enthusiasm . RIP
In my opinion , the capacity to turn a car faster is as important as driving skills . This , since the beginning of motorsport . Real or digital world.

Interesting point of view. Is it because of the lack of parts upgrades and the narrower settings sliders? IMO, even in previous GT the parts upgrades are just simple power multipliers anyway (except for the low/mid/high RPM turbo kits, which actually affect the power/torque curve), so the sliders that we have now just saves time buying 20 different parts. I do miss ballast location, but that's about it. In terms of the settings sliders, the older games allow a wide range but in reality only a narrow range is going to be realistic and/or competitive anyway, so I prefer the current narrower range to keep things simpler.

Just my opinion of course. I'm by no means a great tuner, but I've always felt tuning in GT is a lot more trial and error than based on reality. You have to learn the quirks of the physics and what each settings does (which changes from game to game), and sometimes even obvious changes don't have the same effect you expect (like ride height). We are also lacking a lot of tools for objective evaluation (like tyre temps for camber, and g-meter on HUD) that you just have to spend a lot of time testing. Whereas in ISImotor games and AC/ACC I could make a few clicks of tweaks and instantly feel if I'm going in the right direction or not.

Can’t get any better than a 2:41.xxx.... the mahoosive understeer is killing me in the red pig :banghead:
Mate I’m with you. I got a 2:37.7xx and I cannot extract any more time. It’s too hard to ease on the accelerator on the regular controller and you just slide everywhere. Or you understeer so hard.

Same with the GR1 Interlagos TT. 1:21.7xx. It’s a consistent time across 20 laps. But just micro improvements.

Are you using a controller or a wheel? I have played with tunes, I have played with steering sensitivity, and I just hit a wall. I watch replays I concentrate and it just seems that I can’t get that little bit more to be more competitive. I wonder what it is. If there is a silver bullet. Or if it’s just a ‘gut gud’ kind of thing. Either way. It’s frustrating. But it’s not a bad chase.

Hmm, not sure the final standings there are accurate/up to date for the past events. Last time I checked the Bugatti + La Sarthe I was 420 something, but Im 411th in the rankings there.

So weird that PD doesn't include final rankings, kinda defeats the purpose.

I created and maintain gtsport.r1s3.net and just went over the tables, did a fresh check on GT Sport api and you're still in the same position. PD might have deleted some times or something or you might remember wrong. I usually do a post event final check on the standing tables to make sure some late entries are accounted for.
For future reference you can always scroll to the bottom of a table and click "Load more" that will fetch GT Sports API at that time and give the most recent standings.

Thank you

I created and maintain gtsport.r1s3.net and just went over the tables, did a fresh check on GT Sport api and you're still in the same position. PD might have deleted some times or something or you might remember wrong. I usually do a post event final check on the standing tables to make sure some late entries are accounted for.
For future reference you can always scroll to the bottom of a table and click "Load more" that will fetch GT Sports API at that time and give the most recent standings.

Thank you

Oh ok, guess my memory wasnt accurate.

Thanks for the info mate! :)

2:41 with my basic tune, looking towards a 2:38 I think. if I can stop running wide in a few places.
I’ll try your tunes later today :)👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back