Top Gear Test Track Lotus Challenge

• Thread starter wills2084
  • 348 comments
*phew* Got gold after about 3 hours, I did it without aids. The key is to be extremely delicate with the controls - though I can't see that much accuracy being feasible with a pad. The re-acceleration from hammerhead was the trickiest part for me.
My win was quite crazy: I was second before Gambon on the final lap, literally threw the car in the corner to overtake. The other car hit my back and I spun, but I crossed the finish line first while spinning!

YES, FINALLY. After 10 days of trying I just got gold by a photo finish (0.126). Now I need to go buy a new controller, this one has been thrown and slammed countless of times because of this challenge.
Really looking forward to the Vettel challenge now /sarcasm

Just wanted to express similar concern over the handling and difficulty of that challenge. Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Your avatar follows the beat to The Beatles - Yellow Submarine

/endofftopic

Got gold on my third try

I found this one much easier without any aids on contrary to everyone else here :s
I tried forever with the stock aids settings and couldn't control the car going in to turn 1 never mind over taking. Tried it without TCS, and suddenly I had more control when the car decides to step out of line.

I found without traction control, carrying speed out of Bentley was much, much easier, improving your chances of over taking in to Bacharach. Also don't brake on the kink before Chicago.

After 1.5 hours, the best I could do was silver.

G25
All aids off, ABS 1
Stock brake balance settings
Shifting with H-gate shifter and clutch, with heel n toe

I just found this thread and I must say I'm so relieved I'm not the only one. Mis-shifted a couple of times, too. I'm making it harder for myself using the clutch, but that's the whole point of a G25, isn't it?

Just wanted to mention while this challenge SUCKS, the Top Gear one after it with the Kubelwagens was an absolute blast. I loved seeing them bash eachother right in front of me!

Just wanted to mention while this challenge SUCKS, the Top Gear one after it with the Kubelwagens was an absolute blast. I loved seeing them bash eachother right in front of me!
Yeah, it was fun and surprisingly easy to gold. This probably should have been the beginner challenge followed by the Samba bus and the Lotus challenge. But, all in all, I really don't know what the point of the Kubelwagen death match is. I think it is the only track where you need to be worried about getting t-bone.

After 1.5 hours, the best I could do was silver.

G25
All aids off, ABS 1
Stock brake balance settings
Shifting with H-gate shifter and clutch, with heel n toe

I just found this thread and I must say I'm so relieved I'm not the only one. Mis-shifted a couple of times, too. I'm making it harder for myself using the clutch, but that's the whole point of a G25, isn't it?

Keep at it and you will get it, I did. I only took me about 300 attempts over a whole week, no joke.

I got gold on my second attempt at the lotus challenge :), i not meaning to show off here but it was quite easy. i found what helped me out the most is completing the sambi bus challenge and finding the best places to brake and accelerate but i like the way the lotus drives it fits my driving style so maybe thats why. ive saved the reply so if anyone wants me to ill upload it to youtube so hopefully some people will also find it easyier to complete :)

What the hell! The real driving simulator!?!? I'm pretty sure the Lotus handles a little better then that! Anyone else having trouble? Got any tips?

-Sorry for the complaining; really just venting!

Pain in the ass isn't it! I just gave up....... After messing with it for 2 hours and getting so pissed I wanted to throw the controller at the tv, I figured I didn't need to do it that bad.....

Funny i had no problem doing this one. The first corner i kinda drifted in, and the other corners, i just made sure, to be ready to brake later than the other cars, so i could overtake them. 3rd time i did the challenge, i ended up with gold. But yes, i understand why some have problems with it, if the driving styles does not fit you.

Yeah, it was fun and surprisingly easy to gold. This probably should have been the beginner challenge followed by the Samba bus and the Lotus challenge. But, all in all, I really don't know what the point of the Kubelwagen death match is. I think it is the only track where you need to be worried about getting t-bone.

Totally agreed. The Kubelwagen challenge was the easiest of the three. The Lotus one should have been the expert challenge. I'm fairly sure that requiring a lot more circuit practice before being able to access this challenge would actually have made it a bit easier to beat. Right now it comes so early in the game that it appears impossible at first which is kind of discouraging in my opinion.

I agree, the Kubelwagens should have been the first challenge, golded it the first try, took 25 tries to gold the buses.

It took me 2 or 3 tries because I got surprised by the cross traffic. I didn't expect to get t-boned!

I got gold yesterday after about 20 minutes using tc 5, abs 3 with my G25. On one of the earlier attempts (i.e not the gold) I passed the first two cars on the first corner, drifting towards the apex on the outside of one and accelerating out of the corner on the inside of the other. It was epic but I stuffed up later and restarted without thinking about the replay.
I got a good start on my gold lap, got the first guy at the first corner and a bunch more between there and the hammerhead. Was coming up to the fast bit and seen a bunch of tyre smoke past the tyres that you barely miss (I forget the name). The cars running 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th had all lost it and were spread over the road and the grass. I missed them all, took it pretty easy for the 2nd lap, taking first at the second corner. Would have got gold anyway at some point but I got lucky so I took it :)

Finally did this after 2 hours or so of trying. I found the car to be a lot easier to control without TCS and ASM. Increasing the front brake bias to 8 also helped. But I finally did it after turning on Skid recovery force. I wanted to do it without aids (ABS doesn`t count), but I had to cheat in the end.

I feel dirty now...:indiff:

Turn on Skid recovery force and traction control to 6 and it's cake, just have to learn the pattern of the cars and best line to use. It's a puzzle game
Gold with plenty to spare

It's not that hard. Just brake late at the hammerhead and brake lightly at the second to last corner. You'll also get away with softly trading paint with the AI cars. :sly:

Finished the challenge with a gold after I received my Driving Force GT. I suggest you learn the braking points.

LAP 1:
Brake early for Wilson so you're not understeering into it. You can take out the last car in that corner. The distance between Wilson and Chicago is crucial. If you time it right, you can jump into the inside line at the cones, tap the brake and cross right over past two more cars. Take out one more car in Chicago. You should be right behind a green car going down to Hammerhead. Take the outside line and brake late to jump right behind the blue car. You can take the inside for Hammerhead and draft him to Bacharach where he'll slide and you can sneak past him. You can take out the silver car at Gambon to jump into third place. Rinse and repeat for lap two.

LAP 2:
You can take out the the top two before reaching Hammerhead. If you don't, draft them to Bacharach and Gambon where you can be much quicker going into the turns. Just control the understeer and you'll come out of it in first place.

Annoying? Yes but I loved the challenge.

Finally, I completed this challenge after about 300 tries it seems. TCS 1 ABS 1, and I've been using the DS3 because my wheel is stuck in a cupboard behind Christmas presents lol.

I had to keep going back to it in bytesized sessions to stop getting annoyed. It is so annoying to feel you are doing well but then be disqualified for someone else hitting your car.

But, the reason i persevered was because I know that these challenges are all about learning the course, the braking points the best line through trial and error.

I made many mistakes at Wilson, but had awesome fun, sometimes drifting around the outside of the silver car. I found the best way was if you brake on the outside and get your line right you can move into the apex inside the silver car, and if the grip is there power on at a good pace.

Carefully thread your way through to line up for Chicago, for me this is the key corner. Get on the brakes early to hold the inside line around the tyre-wall, and get straight as early as possible, this allows you to be in 7th place, drafting close all the way up to Hammerhead. Sometimes you can ride the inside of the 8th place car to get the car flat (cheeky).

Hammerhead, as has been said before, can gain you 3 positions. Brake hard and straight on the ouside at the 50m marker, turn in left before getting to close to the cones, switch the weight of the car to the right and try be sensitive with the throttle to get the power down. You should be able to take 5th (or even 4th?) position by gently riding the inside of the other car as he sweeps right.

I had real trouble losing time at follow through, I still never quite got it. I believe if i had mastered it the challenge would be a lot easier. If I do it right then you can take 4th place after the tyre-wall. Out-brake and outmaneuver the metalic blue car through Bacharach and Gambon, and that should leave you with the last lap to over-take the last two cars.

As long as you dont lose your cool (and i almost did at Wilson - took out a few cones on the outside drift) you can take 2nd place at Chicago, and then have your pick of the remaining corners to take 1st, depending on how close you are.

This is a very satisfying challenge to complete, but sooooo ****ing annoying!!!

by the end of lap 1, you should at least be 4th place.
at the corner before lap 2 ends, you should take first place

My Guide in golding the lotus challenge:
first lap first curve- you should overtake the first car in front of you
first lap second curve - you should be 7th or 8th place
first lap third curve - you should be 5th place
first lap, last curve - you should be 4th place

second lap first curve, you should be 3rd place
second lap third curve, you should be 2nd place
second lap, last curve, you should be 1st place

Tip:
1. push the gas on straights only. Dont, or slightly push the gas in corners
2. never push the brakes hard. brake slowly so you can still steer and overtake in the essential curves without sliding or slamming into other cars

I did this challenge with all aids off except abs 1 and a driving force pro wheel set to 270 degree rotation( that's all I now use).
I passed the last car on the last corner.
If this event, or game in general, has taught me anything it's this
"The best defense is a strong offense"
once you learn how to handle the car you have to be aggressive

^ A couple of interesting moves in that video - will try these when I get back to that race 👍

It's a bit strange how the lead car suddenly become airborne just before you pass him. How did that happen?

DJ
--

Were there threads online back when GT1 was out about how hard a license test was? And 20 videos posted on how to beat it? Such soft racing game drivers these days. lol

^ A couple of interesting moves in that video - will try these when I get back to that race 👍

It's a bit strange how the lead car suddenly become airborne just before you pass him. How did that happen?

DJ
--

Yeah i think it was cone the lead car ran over , but i was ready to take him whatever

Back