Top Gear Test Track Lotus Challenge

• Thread starter wills2084
  • 348 comments
It wasn't until completing the rally special events that i realized that you need to be super gentle on the gas and brake. I use DS3 only, and this challenge by far the best in the game. I now go back to this challenge for the only "challenge" in the game, the rest is rather boring.

I got this with trac control and ABS off after about 20 tries using the sixaxis. Most of my overtakes were similar to the video posted. I was in 1st coming out of hammerhead.

I swear this challenge makes me want to hurl my DFGT through my plasma TV. I think I just suck at this game, I've probably tried this eleventy-billion times and have a hard time even finishing... But I will try this with the front brake bias up tomorrow and see what happens. I did start getting the feeling today that probably the reason this is so hard are the tires.

How the hell can you guys ram into those cars like that and not get DQued? I just barely touch a car and I'm history! This is really starting to piss me off! I've been trying this challenge for several days. I've even tried maxing the settings and still can't complete it. The AI always rams me from behind, I crash into the car ahead of me and I get DQued. Or, the AI car side-swipes me, I got shot into the grass and I get DQued.

It's crap like this that makes hating this game series so damn easy. I stopped playing GT4 for the same reason. I figured they'd have reduced this nonsense, but I guess not. The best way to complete this challenge is reduce break level on the rear wheels, because maxing out the settings still causes the car to slide like it's on ice whenever I use the breaks and the fun thing is I can't adjust the breaks. Great.

Thanks for the tip to lower rear brake bias from 5 to 2. That did it for me: Braking far deeper into the first and second-to-last corners did the trick for me to finally get gold.

I golded this challenge today after four or five tries. I was really dreading it because of other people's complaints but it was surprisingly easy!

Oh yess, 2nd with clutch and no ABS/Traction Control. I find it almost impossible to get gold because of the cars in front almost coming to a stop in the middle of the second to last corner. You have to take that corner way slower than your potential because there is no room either side and you get disqualified for cutting the corner even slightly or running slightly wide onto the grass on the outside..... really frustrating!

dude... why so dirty with your overtakes.... i golded it no tcs, mt, with a very clean race. i hate driving dirty... as you would't do it in real life. It's not that hard.

Oh yess, 2nd with clutch and no ABS/Traction Control. I find it almost impossible to get gold because of the cars in front almost coming to a stop in the middle of the second to last corner. You have to take that corner way slower than your potential because there is no room either side and you get disqualified for cutting the corner even slightly or running slightly wide onto the grass on the outside..... really frustrating!

The second to last corner is where 75% of my attempts came unstuck - however, other parts of the track are extremely forgiving, particularly the Hammerhead. You can even cut inside the red cones and get away with it if you make a mistake, and hit as many red and white cones as you like anywhere.

Not to make light of your predicament, but it's pretty ironic that someone called "JackistheStig" is struggling around this particular track!

Turn up the traction control and skid recovery... after that the test becomes MUCH easier. Clearly the fitted the Elise with tires that Clarkson wore out doing donuts all day!

👍 Worked perfect.

I had no trouble with the buses, but this Elise on these tires is undrivable. Midengine cars don't seem well modeled - I suffered the same issue with the Europa. I've driven a variety of real midships small cars in anger (MR2, MR-S, Elise) and they just plain don't behave like this.

Strip your precious Elise of it's traction control and give it low-end street tires, then we'll see if you still think that.

GT5 actually models midships better than any other game I played on consoles. The only difference is that most of those DO have driving aids in real life.

Expecting a high-powered midship to behave the same without any kind of driving aid is a bit ridiculous.

The Top Gear challenges are designed to teach fundamental basics of racing driving, and they're extremely good at that. For instance the sambabus one is a great example on racing lines and the importance of momentum, the lotus challenge is a great lesson on being delicate with control, and so forth.

My Gold in this challenge was easy and fast.

The tip: traction control ON (nothing else to change in the options menu)

You will see a great difference with the rivals.

I had everything off except Skid Recovery, done it on 4-5th attempt after learning how they took certain corners etc. Practice makes perfect 👍

I cannot get the car to continue around a sweeper under constant moderate cornering load, even with weight transferred to the rear. Mild acceleration should be the proper fix for oversteer in this car, but in the game that's what causes oversteer in the first place, so you can't use that to correct the problem. And of course you can't lift or brake, as I said. I've driven this car in real life, as well as MR2s in various forms, and I completely understand how that will bite you in the ass.

As someone who drives and races very loose cars in real life also, I agree with you (nearly) completely. I started a thread specific to discussion by/for real-life motor-sport drivers. Don't know if you've joined it yet but here here it is:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.phpt=137145&highlight=autocross

As for this Elise challenge, my theory is that whoever designed it at PD sat down at a station with all the driving aids turned on, and then just kept sticking worse and worse tires on it until it was as hard as he wanted it to be, and never realized what he/she had done.

Try playing with the driving aids and eventually you do end up with a car that drives more-or-less like a Lotus on cheap tires should drive (difficult, tricky, but not completely homicidal).

hey guys i got gold in this a few days ago... it wasnt REALLY hard but just more like all the licenses where you have to figure it out thats all... throughout all the licenses i leave all the options the same except i always turn off traction control completely because i cant stand the restriction it gives me... only on one license i`ve used traction control... for this lotus challenge i had it off as well and was contemplating turning it back on but i left it off because i was getting the hang of it... driving on manual and the rest of the options were on default... to be brutally honest its just about taking risks, try to slide around turns with minimal bumping, i was in 5th-3rd place after one lap or possibly even before, it was really easy after that. USE THE WIDE TURNS in the last quarter of the race they really help and you really dont have to brake as much on those! i have the replay saved for mine but if i were to upload it, it wouldnt be the best quality. lemme know if ne one wants it! i also got away with a few bumps here in there, i`m still confused as to how the bumping system works.

Edit: ps i didnt find this challenge hard at all compared to other licenses that i`ve done. i was using a dualshock controller and all the settings were on default (cant remember what everything is for default) and only traction control was turned completely off, and i was driving manual, i had a good lead on the second place driver too at least 1 second for sure, cant remember cuz i got really conservative at the end

Last edited:
I tried it for hours without driving aids.... it was almost impossible... :scared:
Comfort tires? COLD comfort HARD tires with a Lotus? Like driving on ice.
I was very close to gold it without aids, but after activating TCS it just was toooooooo easy

Well, the way i beat it was sliding around every corner like a bat out of hell, breaking late, and getting lucky in a couple corners, got gold after about 30 tries lol. VERY annoying last turn, killed me more than a few times.

It took me many tries, but I finally got through it with a gold. I use a wheel, and speaking from that experience, brake gradually if you going from a high speed section to a corner (Wilson & Bacharach corners). Accelerate smoothly out of corners. (press the accelerator down slowly inch by inch until you feel more traction on the wheels then start flooring it roughly halfway pressed down). The brief straightaway between Wilson and Chicago is a good place to pass in the 1st lap to roughly 8th place. In the straight before the Hammerhead, brake late and take the lane inside during the straight (pass your opponents on their right). I usually get to roughly 6th or 7th by this point. On the Follow-Through, brake for the turn, and don't rush too hard back on the accelerator because you'll spin-out. On Bentley to Bacharach, you'll most likely get to 5th if you brake late enough, but be sure not to head into the turn too fast, or you'll DQ in the grass between Bacharach and Gambon. And don't try to push too hard at Gambon.

It's important to match the speed so that you don't ram into the AI because their braking timing is a little early. I usually take a slightly different driving line so that I'm in some position to overtake on the straights after a turn. Making sure you come out of the turn fast can be important to pass your next opponent on a straight. Remaining in control at all times is more important than trying to push it pass your opponent. If you feel like you're starting to spin out a bit while turning, don't be afraid to put your foot on the accelerator for a brief moment to regain traction, then go back to gradual braking to continue the turn.

I haven't tried it on the controller, so I don't know how hard it is, but I imagine, it's tougher. I think I used the default settings (TCS:5, ABS:1, No ASM)

I played the challenge yesterday at level11. First ten tries i couldn't make it out of corner 1.
After 1hour I managed to get third place and never felt so happy :)
Played all off, abs at 1.

But thx to this thread i now know that the there different events concerning the difficulty level in the special events. I first thought how can anyone in this world get gold on the hardest level :D

Sounds like some people on these pages just aren't as good as they like to think they are.
If/when they get some GT5 leaderboards up and running the fastest times will be made with nearly all driving aids turned off.
Many still use ABS on a LOW setting.
I loved this challenge. My ABS was set to 3, everything else was off.
If you can't do it with the aids on, then you need some serious practice.

ABS 1 here, all other aids off, most of the problems came from being nerfed by AI rather than errors by myself, although I did a few! took a many times though, just to get used to lack of braking grip, change of direction grip and acceleration grip (or lack thereof!)

i have the same problem its very irritating and i had to resort to turining traction control on but on the follow through of the test track it over steers then fish tails its so irritating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

I just golded this 3rd go and here is my tip. Do it after golding IC-10, there are similarities in driving the Ferrari & Elise with the setups given ie neither has much grip.

I used TCS5, ABS1, Active mild, ASM off, changed front to 9. The car was floaty so only brake in a straight line, accelerate gently, catch those little drifts and pick your lines and overtaking spots wisely.

Gold after 2 hours solid. Had about 5 2nd places.

No aids at all.

My tip is to handle the car its all in the braking. The 1st sweeping left i use little to no brakes and just down shift and gentle on the power when your lined up right. When you feel the back end go add a little power.

Out brake the A.I into slow turns and real steady on the throttle out of slow corners.

Back