UK finalists at Silverstone (now includes Famine's reports)

• Thread starter leexr2i
  • 153 comments
Arrr man!! What an amazing 2days! Well done to all the guys! And thanks to the Organisers for looking after us so well!

daan
Just heard from our reporter on the scene...

My name is Shane Ward and I'm GT5_Shane_UK not ghostdriver, just saying :-). I enjoyed the day and had an awful run in the car, not helped by a driving instructer that was terrible in the way of advice.

I think the races were too short at 2 laps, 1 shunt in the back and your out because the driver may be punished but you have no chance of recovery, as I found in a race where I was left last, besides that I think we were lucky to have that location. The organisation was at a good level and all competitors were very polite.

Next year I know exactly how to prepare, I will try to follow the example set by Rutter and Dessy!

photostream

Just home now, great experience, really can't believe I won. Commiseration's to anyone who didn't make it, I've been there before and know how it feels, so if you got close this time just use it as motivation for next year like I did.

I thought the gaming part of the event ran very well, but there wasn't much room for error. Things went smoothly for me, but others were just unlucky, plain and simple. Everything from being comfortable with the combo to who you are seeded against heavily effects how it turns out. You couldn't afford more than one bad result at any stage or you were facing a serious uphill battle.

As for the real world activities, I don't feel I did as well as last year, but then again I must have done something right. I pushed myself like hell in the fitness and maybe pushed a little too hard in the 370 as I seemed to be doing more drifting on my last timed run than setting a fast time.

Overall it's a bit surreal and probably won't hit me for a while, but it's time to get the head down now and get back into a good training regime over the next few weeks. And finally, congrats to the rest of the Silverstone 6 who made it, especially David Williams. We said we could both make it and we did!

EDIT:
a7kqf.jpg

My big sideways moment

Last edited:
Fitness test is done. GTP_Dessy won the plank test (not a slur - they had to hold a pressup position on their elbows for as long as possible) with the maximum time, GTP_Rutter won the bleep test reaching level 10.1 and DemesGT won the pressups with 65...

Me and GTP_Dessy won the plank test... im 100% sure :)

Last edited:
it was my first UK finale and it was the best experience in my life. i didnt very well on GT5, media test and driving test but i was regular good in fitness test. but it wasnt enough. well done 6 top players :)

So Dessy you are now driving for Nissan? Or do the top 6 go on to another final?

Thats them in the boot camp stage same as US. I believe those 6 will go back to silverstone with the winners from the rest of europe.

Also well done to the final 6 I wish you guys all the best 👍.

Yes, the US, Russia and Germany have their own national finals to select 16 players for their own Boot Camps. The UK national final was to select 6 players for the European Boot Camp along with players from Spain, Portugal, BeNeLux, France, Italy, Austria, Poland and Switzerland.

There'll be four winners this year. They'll be from the USA, Russia, Germany and there'll be a European winner.

it was my first UK finale and it was the best experience in my life. i didnt very well on GT5, media test and driving test but i was regular good in fitness test. but it wasnt enough. well done 6 top players :)

I thought you did extremely well in the media test. Your answers were clear, loud (despite the PA system next door!) and intelligent - in a second language. Of the 12 guys there, at least half of you were no different than listening to professional drivers being interviewed. You were in that half, easily, for me.

Better luck next year!

As for the real world activities, I don't feel I did as well as last year, but then again I must have done something right. I pushed myself like hell in the fitness and maybe pushed a little too hard in the 370 as I seemed to be doing more drifting on my last timed run than setting a fast time.

Overall it's a bit surreal and probably won't hit me for a while, but it's time to get the head down now and get back into a good training regime over the next few weeks. And finally, congrats to the rest of the Silverstone 6 who made it, especially David Williams. We said we could both make it and we did!

Just before the presentation I saw you sitting, literally, on the edge of your seat with your hands to your mouth - a portrait of nervous anticipation. Now, I'll grant you that I didn't see the Autotest - I was too busy having my internal organs re-arranged by Jann in the GT-R - but you were very, very clearly in the top 3 of every other discipline. You and Thomas were always going to make the final 6 and you'll be running each other damned close for the podium at the Boot Camp too - and I'd be tempted to put money on both of you for the final prize.

I did the Boot Camp as press in 2010 and the overall standard in the 12 man regional final yesterday was higher. The six finalists were just plain impressive and - autotest excluded, because I didn't see it - there were eight of the twelve who just impressed at everything. A couple of guys had a nervy media test and a couple struggled a bit with the fitness, but these are things they can improve themselves before next year - and none of the 12 would have been out of place at the 2010 Boot Camp, so you should all be damned proud of yourselves.

Famine
Yes, the US, Russia and Germany have their own national finals to select 16 players for their own Boot Camps. The UK national final was to select 6 players for the European Boot Camp along with players from Spain, Portugal, BeNeLux, France, Italy, Austria, Poland and Switzerland.

There'll be four winners this year. They'll be from the USA, Russia, Germany and there'll be a European winner.

I thought you did extremely well in the media test. Your answers were clear, loud (despite the PA system next door!) and intelligent - in a second language. Of the 12 guys there, at least half of you were no different than listening to professional drivers being interviewed. You were in that half, easily, for me.

Better luck next year!

Just before the presentation I saw you sitting, literally, on the edge of your seat with your hands to your mouth - a portrait of nervous anticipation. Now, I'll grant you that I didn't see the Autotest - I was too busy having my internal organs re-arranged by Jann in the GT-R - but you were very, very clearly in the top 3 of every other discipline. You and Thomas were always going to make the final 6 and you'll be running each other damned close for the podium at the Boot Camp too - and I'd be tempted to put money on both of you for the final prize.

I did the Boot Camp as press in 2010 and the overall standard in the 12 man regional final yesterday was higher. The six finalists were just plain impressive and - autotest excluded, because I didn't see it - there were eight of the twelve who just impressed at everything. A couple of guys had a nervy media test and a couple struggled a bit with the fitness, but these are things they can improve themselves before next year - and none of the 12 would have been out of place at the 2010 Boot Camp, so you should all be damned proud of yourselves.

I have to say that post has given me serious motivation for next year, I was the guy with Ed Sheeran hair and I fell short in the autotest and bleep test, but next year, if I make it through I will be far better prepared and extremely motivated! I have no idea how we did in the media, I would have loved to see the results in that area haha!

Better luck next year!

OMG! thank you so much!!! yes english is my secound language. but i can speak slovakian, czech a and polish as well :) now i feel very good. THANK YOU:)

Well done to the top 6!
Delighted for Dessy as he had awful luck last year and really should have been in the top two. Just goes to show his determination to come back the next year and win it outright.
@Dessy you need to do something about that Alonso mullet before comparisons are made :lol:

Congrats to Dessy and the other guys who got through, sounds like you were all excellent and im sure the standard will be even higher next year. Where did Tidgney place, did he manage to have a go in the 370z?

Anyway im going to join the GTP registry to hopefully improve my skills for next time :) as im just not quick enough in the time trials. @Dessy if you win the european comp, dont forget us mere mortals lol.

Edit: oh and I will be using GTP_Herbok for the registry, just need to submit times.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, its great to finally achieve this after 2 and half years of wanting it more than anything else.

@Famine - In retrospect I have no idea why I was so nervous, but I just felt that I didn't impress Rob in the car and that I might have ended up with a very low score there. Then the track started to dry out and people were going visibly faster and making less mistakes so it started to play on my mind a little. As for fitness, if that rain shower hadn't come I don't think I would have made it as far in the bleep test as I did. A real blessing to get the break after the plank.

@Dave - haha. I have short enough hair, what are you talking about :P Cheers though, was nice to get that phone call from you before I flew out giving me a little extra confidence. In the end every little helped.

@Herbok - Tidgney was involved in a race that had 3 restarts, one of which was after he'd won the race outright. Then on his 3rd attempt he wasn't so lucky and had a spin. Very unfortunate stuff, but its just one of those things that is out of your control on the day. He didn't get to drive the 370 in the end as you needed to make the top 12 for that.

@Famine - In retrospect I have no idea why I was so nervous

It's hard not to be, really!

Though I didn't see it, it would have needed a properly daft effort in the 370Z to spoil your chances*. Rob wouldn't have been giving too much away - he's a Boot Camp judge and, though he's friendly enough, he'll be pretty hard on you.

* What time did you get? My soggy time was a 36.7, which turned out to be pretty good amongst the media it seems!

It's hard not to be, really!

Though I didn't see it, it would have needed a properly daft effort in the 370Z to spoil your chances*. Rob wouldn't have been giving too much away - he's a Boot Camp judge and, though he's friendly enough, he'll be pretty hard on you.

* What time did you get? My soggy time was a 36.7, which turned out to be pretty good amongst the media it seems!

My first time was 35 something but I clipped a cone and received a 2 sec penalty. It was hard to judge how wide the left hand drive car was and a lot of us did clip cones trying to understand it. My second lap, the one that counted was 36 something, but he informed me I would have been around 2 seconds faster if I hadn't had that big moment/overdrove.

To be honest, it could have been a disaster. If I'd spun, it would have been a big black mark against me so I'm looking forward to showing him that I learned from this mistake when I get to race camp.

It wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the massive wings on the seat at eye level :lol:

It was good fun though without the driving aids - like an MX-5 only heavier and more powerful. I only got a small, cheeky step-out on the roundabout on my first go - I should have given it a bit more power on the exit to line it up for the next gate, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

One of the media - the guys from Radio Le Mans - got it completely sideways round the roundabout, then tanked a left-handed 360 on the next long corner, then tanked a right-handed 360 recovering it. Tyre smoke in a wet car park is impressive :lol:

Dessy182
My first time was 35 something but I clipped a cone and received a 2 sec penalty. It was hard to judge how wide the left hand drive car was and a lot of us did clip cones trying to understand it. My second lap, the one that counted was 36 something, but he informed me I would have been around 2 seconds faster if I hadn't had that big moment/overdrove.

To be honest, it could have been a disaster. If I'd spun, it would have been a big black mark against me so I'm looking forward to showing him that I learned from this mistake when I get to race camp.

That drift might have reduced your time, but I think they would of been very impressed that you were pushing hard and able to handle it.. It did look very smooth from where I was standing!

Only messing with you re: the hair :)
Can you tell us about the next step or is that confidential at this stage?

Congrats to Dessy and the other guys who got through, sounds like you were all excellent and im sure the standard will be even higher next year. Where did Tidgney place, did he manage to have a go in the 370z?

Anyway im going to join the GTP registry to hopefully improve my skills for next time :) as im just not quick enough in the time trials. @Dessy if you win the european comp, dont forget us mere mortals lol.

Edit: oh and I will be using GTP_Herbok for the registry, just need to submit times.

Hey Mate,

Day 1 went smooth for me, all I was after as soon as I knew it was races was just smoothness, steady points, I'll put what happened down;

Day 1; Race 1 I qualified 4th (I had a slight moment on the lap haha!) but finished 2nd, so I was pleased with that result for sure! The second race was really fun, and although I came 3rd it was a close battle, even managed some mind trick which worked but I couldn't capitalize on it :D! Race 3 I was with Rutter and Dantastic, and we basically went 1,2,3 a million miles ahead of the field, was an amazing race and the last race of the night which was a good one to finish of with, with that standard of driving, rutter managed to get ahead of dan. I finished 7th Overall on Day 1.

Day 2; We knew that 18 (Was 16 but 2 additions were added due to a points error) had to drop to 12. The first races developed the A finalists which meant 2 from each got through. I think it was Rutter and Demes who beat me in that one, but fair play I was well to cautious on grand valley speedway (Short course, think it's called east). But knowing 3 from the next race went through I was hopeful, and I knew if I could get through I should be in for a good shot, I've done an autotest previously, and I feel comfortable talking in an interview o and I had just done a fitness test so I knew what I could get with that extra 10% of adrenaline, and prize!

Anyway back to race 3, I had a big moment on cape ring on my qualy lap, and qualified 4th, but knowing what happened after the first race on day 1 I was still very hopeful. Anyway we began I did notice Jack O'neils tyre instantly go right. Anyhow I had an amazing start, and was catching the front pair, but after a few corners we got told to restart, realising that Jacks wheel had done something weird, which was fair enough, nobody had finished. Start #2, Another excellent start, and racing round I was in 3rd, slowly catching the other 2 as they were battling, but I didn't want to push, 4th was miles away and knowing 3rd qualified, I figured a safe 3rd on a track which punishes you is better than not qualifying!! The race finished, and the relief and mindset began to focus on the next rounds, then we got told pods 5 & 6 lost power and had to restart again (I must admit I was rather confused by this due to the fact that they weren't in contention for the qualifying spots and the race had finished by this point, they did say it had gone on lap 1, but even so we were well clear and I had know idea what had gone on). Start #3 I got hit from behind which forced me off, I climbed back on and started to push knowing it was all or nothing, I did try some lunges but knowing of the penalties I did have to slam on a few times just to avoid any contact, anyhow it came to the last few bends and I knew I hadn't qualified, so just was gutted driving with 1 hand at this point dropping to last.

I must admit, and I suppose I'll forever keep this opinion at this point that I did feel robbed of a qualification place (Into the top 12). I mean I did speak with the guys and I understand their point of view that the pods lost power, but if it was on lap 1 we could have stopped there, or if they were in contention for a qualification spot as well fair enough. A whole load of emotions were happening if im honest as I really wanted this something else, I went for a ride in the 370z and that sort of rested my mind. After that we were in a competition to drive a 370z around the national circuit at silverstone, but my own fault may have lost me that race but it was a cracking competition, fair play Vibralux, awesome work 👍

Fair play to the finalists, and good luck at the European Finals, my fitness training I'm already planning for next year, and just need to improve a bit more with aggression in a race I guess. Especially good luck to Rutter, Dan and Des 👍 all the best guys!

I'll always love this competition though, and I'd recommend it to anyone, things will always happen and I've always said what happens on the day, will always be different to somebody going 4 seconds faster at home!

P.S. Congratulations Famine on winning the Media comp :D!

Only messing with you re: the hair :)
Can you tell us about the next step or is that confidential at this stage?

On Tuesday evening I had a chat with Dave, the head man from Sony. I asked him about the race camp stage this year and how it will work with so many contestants. Apparently it is going to be much more team based for the first half of the week with each territories finalists working together to try be the best. I believe this is to try make it a more tv friendly experience so each nation can try get behind their guys, but I really have no idea how it will work.

The write up that Calvin posted on Facebook suggests that only 1 from each territory will make it to the final stage (2 days), but it is still unknown if all 5 will still be in contention up until then or if others will be eliminated in the first 2 or 3 days.

As soon as I know anything that I am allowed to share I will post it here. In the past some finalists didn't say much once they got through but I'd like to keep you guys updated if you are interested.

no live streams, no news, no nothing. Funny how that doesn't surprise me one single bit.

I was dissapointed that they were no streams at all for the UK GT Academy too. Now I don't know how seriously anybody would take me when I say I could have done one for the event just like the American GT Academy on Iplracers. I have all the equipment needed to broadcast. Im one of about 4 or 5 people who still stream some GT5 gameplay and online sessions (and the only one whos been showing it since day 1). I have a massive passion for GT5 but nowhere near as fast as those who got the the national final. I can do a professional broadcast if anyone from Sony or Nissan are reading. But as I already said I doubt anyone reading is taking this seriously.

Anyway a massive well done from me to everyone who got there and even bigger well done to those who got through.

The US stream hasn't gone unnoticed by the European guys at Sony, Nissan and Jardine. But the budget for it was obscene by comparison - and what they'll do for the Boot Camp boggles the mind. It'd be one of those things that would be really great to do and to view, but the cost is probably not worth the benefit. The UK and ROI had the highest participation of any GTA region - 181,000 gamers entered - so it's not like they need more publicity :lol:

If I get to go back to the Boot Camp, I'll do my best to Tweet it as near live as I can manage. I kinda dropped the ball on that yesterday as I was trying to get GTP posts up - only to find I was being killed by a WatchGuard firewall on the BRDC wifi :lol:

If I get to go back to the Boot Camp, I'll do my best to Tweet it as near live as I can manage. I kinda dropped the ball on that yesterday as I was trying to get GTP posts up - only to find I was being killed by a WatchGuard firewall on the BRDC wifi :lol:

Do you think they will let you tweet about what goes on? I can only imagine a lot of things that happen will not be spoken about or shown on the final show. They may also want to keep some results quiet to make it more exciting for the tv audience when it eventually airs.

I do remember back in 2010 all contestants set up a twitter and tweeted updates during the day when they had some downtime, but I don't remember seeing so much of that last year.

Heh. There's only so much you can do with 140 characters - I was posting more yesterday on GTP myself. I don't anticipate there being objections, but I always ask before I do - don't want to break someone else's AUP :lol:

Latest Posts

Back