UK finalists at Silverstone (now includes Famine's reports)

• Thread starter leexr2i
  • 153 comments

During my 370Z autotest the guy setting the big timer off was struggling with getting it going reliably. Rob said "There's a problem with the organic component of the switch. There's a knob on the end of it."

hahaha that's class :D!

Yer the rain was really really heavy, and there was so many people cramped under that cover, i was getting the worst of it as the wind was blowing it into my back lol, was shaking quite bad being so cold, who ever got them mats and rapped them around me and a couple of others was a great idea lol. Worked really well after a couple of minutes i was fine again. Just joined the gym so ill be prepared fitness wise for next year if nothing else!

I've got a couple of photos of the rain, but they're not impressive. And the two I took from the car :lol:

There's nothing of the storm on the Facebook page or the Flickr account though. Too busy protecting the cameras? :D

That rain was a bit crazy the amount of water that fell in that short period of time, I think everyone got to know each other quite well suddenly haha! Was a good laugh though :)!

I have more than 200 pictures and more than 9GB videos :) my brother hi did the best job for me.
BTW: i was asking somebody about recording my driving test becasuse my brother were in toilet and nobody wanted to halp me. i said you will record my driving and i will record your driving but answer was negative:( than i asked demesGT thanks.

davissi
Can someone just explain how Jack got to 4th from lower game position?

I think you've got a point. His face dropped a mile when I told him at breakfast that you said good luck to the red bull go karter.

GLP
I think you've got a point. His face dropped a mile when I told him at breakfast that you said good luck to the red bull go karter.

:lol: yea that was funny

DudySVK
I have more than 200 pictures and more than 9GB videos :) my brother hi did the best job for me.
BTW: i was asking somebody about recording my driving test becasuse my brother were in toilet and nobody wanted to halp me. i said you will record my driving and i will record your driving but answer was negative:( than i asked demesGT thanks.

Have you got it on camera when someone smashed into the side of Troy/wheelyclean in the B final race? Turn 3 nurburging GP/f ? One of the cleanest racers going got smashed and sent to the back of pack, demoting him from 3rd to last. Make you laugh when cars are used as brakes!!

GTA_UKROI_011.jpg

At the end of day 1, he was 6th. He didn't get through his heat to the A-final but qualified to the B-final from his semi-final, where he finished 4th - so 10th overall (from 12) in the gaming section.

I've got him 4th in the pressups, don't know in the planking (not bottom 4 though) and 3rd in the shuttle.

I didn't see the 370Z autotest. There are no available scores for the media test and I'm not sure if I can share where I placed him, but he was one of the better half at it.

If the 370Z test was top 3, the fitness is conceivably top 3, the media is potentially top 3, with the 10th in the gaming section it's by no means a stretch to finish 4th.

Just a quick message to all the UK/Ireland finalists from this year, what an absolute pleasure it was to meet you all and get a chance to communicate with you and in some very small way share your amazing experience. I had an absolutely wonderful time myself in 2010 and I could see you guys got a great deal out of the experience too.

I think back when I went in 2010, many of us weren't really approaching it with such genuine expectations of Silverstone success and driving careers, we just wanted to best each other at the gaming :lol: But this new breed of Academy finalist is very different, and the look in Des and Thomas's eyes throughout the competition was quite inspirational. Really the respect I have for all of you for the performances you produced throughout the whole two days is limitless, well done guys, you did the territory proud 👍

It was really good to see Jann again too, wasn't that long ago he was in the same pods as you, just a quiet and polite gamer (geez, what went wrong :P ) and now as a successful driver he was still nosing about in the pods looking at the gaming with massive interest, and just couldn't resist a race when the pods were free :D

Des, Thomas (Gibson), Martin (Heff), Mark, David (Kelly), Alex, Jugraj, Saidur, David (Williams), Daniel, Zhang, Anzel, Karl, Jack, Jason, Charlie, Ian, Troy, Thomas (Christensen), Istvan, Martin (Hudy), Spud and everyone else who I've not mentioned, it was a real pleasure 👍 :gtpflag:

Was great to meet you too Famine, in case nobody heard, 4 seconds faster than all the other media and on pole for the Media race at Motegi East!

All the best
Maz

Synwraith
Just a quick message to all the UK/Ireland finalists from this year, what an absolute pleasure it was to meet you all and get a chance to communicate with you and in some very small way share your amazing experience. I had an absolutely wonderful time myself in 2010 and I could see you guys got a great deal out of the experience too.

I think back when I went in 2010, many of us weren't really approaching it with such genuine expectations of Silverstone success and driving careers, we just wanted to best each other at the gaming :lol: But this new breed of Academy finalist is very different, and the look in Des and Thomas's eyes throughout the competition was quite inspirational. Really the respect I have for all of you for the performances you produced throughout the whole two days is limitless, well done guys, you did the territory proud 👍

It was really good to see Jann again too, wasn't that long ago he was in the same pods as you, just a quiet and polite gamer (geez, what went wrong :P ) and now as a successful driver he was still nosing about in the pods looking at the gaming with massive interest, and just couldn't resist a race when the pods were free :D

Des, Thomas (Gibson), Martin (Heff), Mark, David (Kelly), Alex, Jugraj, Saidur, David (Williams), Daniel, Zhang, Anzel, Karl, Jack, Jason, Charlie, Ian, Troy, Thomas (Christensen), Istvan, Martin (Hudy), Spud and everyone else who I've not mentioned, it was a real pleasure 👍 :gtpflag:

Was great to meet you too Famine, in case nobody heard, 4 seconds faster than all the other media and on pole for the Media race at Motegi East!

All the best
Maz

You tube: '2012 gt academy finals. 2011 winner jann mardenborough media race' to see how it went down. Sorry not sure of how to provide link.

GLP
You tube: '2012 gt academy finals. 2011 winner jann mardenborough media race' to see how it went down. Sorry not sure of how to provide link.

Should have been two of them. In the first race there were 8 cars (1 pod empty) and there was a gigantic pile up at the first corner :lol: Jann started last and finished second my mere car-lengths. Second race was more straightforward for him, I think he was 6/6 on the grid and won. Both races 1 lap.

All the best
Maz

Last edited:
Was good to see you too Maz. I don't think they could have run the event so well without your input and advice throughout. The format and the combos were just right, and apart from that one race that needed a few restarts, the event should be used as a benchmark for all future national finals in the UK and europe.

Any idea if you are going to get to come along to Silverstone in August?

Was good to see you too Maz. I don't think they could have run the event so well without your input and advice throughout. The format and the combos were just right, and apart from that one race that needed a few restarts, the event should be used as a benchmark for all future national finals in the UK and europe.

👍 +1

Maz it was a pleasure, and I can honestly say without you GT Academy would be worse off for sure, you really do make the event a pleasure (I've used that word twice now haha!), fun and exciting environment and also make sure all is fair and equal!!

So a big thanks to you for the 2 days :)!

That's very kind of you to say Des, I think after a couple of years worth of helping them on GT events (Academy, Mercedes and SLS challenges, Nissan stuff) they've got a good repository of information about what works on a tight schedule or when they have time, and what works for time-trial or race format within the tight constraints of such an event, so in future they may need less input from the likes of me :)

The race that required restarting, I just don't see how that could have been fairly and legitimately handled differently. The first race, Pod 2's wheel just sent him clear off to the right off the grid, the second race went full distance but we had to re-run because pods 5 and 6 lost power and according to the adjudicator of one of the pods one of the racers was in a decent position. The third race went full distance as from my spot on Pod 1, Troy Paul won all 3 races (well excluding the first one that lasted a few corners). I felt awful for Martin because he deserved to be in the last 12, but these things happen and we just could not say to pods 5 and 6 "Well sorry guys, mechanical failures are all part of racing, and I know we restarted for Pod 2 but you guys were never gonna win anyway" because you just cannot do that. A number of us have bad-luck stories from the finals, but I hope that like me everyone can come away with positive feelings about their experience. I know you are not making an issue at all Dessy, I just wanted to put across my opinion on it :)

If I am invited to Silverstone again like last year, and it falls between the 16th and 19th of August, there's a chance I could be there, but that's a lot of 'ifs'. That would be quite awesome! Anyway, I think Thomas has me contracted as his good luck charm :D

👍 +1

Maz it was a pleasure, and I can honestly say without you GT Academy would be worse off for sure, you really do make the event a pleasure (I've used that word twice now haha!), fun and exciting environment and also make sure all is fair and equal!!

So a big thanks to you for the 2 days :)!

It's all about pleasuring the masses :lol: I'll be expecting you to make Silverstone finals next year, Heff!

All the best
Maz

The race that required restarting, I just don't see how that could have been fairly and legitimately handled differently. The first race, Pod 2's wheel just sent him clear off to the right off the grid, the second race went full distance but we had to re-run because pods 5 and 6 lost power and according to the adjudicator of one of the pods one of the racers was in a decent position. The third race went full distance as from my spot on Pod 1, Troy Paul won all 3 races (well excluding the first one that lasted a few corners). I felt awful for Martin because he deserved to be in the last 12, but these things happen and we just could not say to pods 5 and 6 "Well sorry guys, mechanical failures are all part of racing, and I know we restarted for Pod 2 but you guys were never gonna win anyway" because you just cannot do that. A number of us have bad-luck stories from the finals, but I hope that like me everyone can come away with positive feelings about their experience. I know you are not making an issue at all Dessy, I just wanted to put across my opinion on it :)

It's all about pleasuring the masses :lol: I'll be expecting you to make Silverstone finals next year, Heff!

All the best
Maz

:), O no worries Maz of course I felt a whole load of stuff after that race but it was a difficult position for everybody to be fair about the rules and such, it's just one of those things. But yes next year Silverstone for sure, my training begins in 2 weeks once I've moved house :), similar to my physical training starting some weeks before this last one :D, o and also to make sure I stay in tip top form on the game as well :)! Which also means we need to have a race as well Maz we said that last year, so next time I see you online a message is coming your way with an invite :D!

Synwraith
Should have been two of them. In the first race there were 8 cars (1 pod empty) and there was a gigantic pile up at the first corner :lol: Jann started last and finished second my mere car-lengths. Second race was more straightforward for him, I think he was 6/6 on the grid and won. Both races 1 lap.

All the best
Maz

Yeah jann started 7th in the race I got (you tube clip says 8th my mistake) he finished 2nd. Mass pile up/offs on first corner. Didn't see 2nd race? didn't know there was another. Good fun. Great 2 days. Good unsigned talent going to waste! ???

Dessy182
Would love to see more pics or videos from the event but it's proving quite hard to find anything. I hope film crew captured that rain shower because I don't think I've ever experienced rain like it.

Lol that's a good pic! They didn't get any video as far as I know.. The cam man was in the middle of all of us trying to protect the equipment..

GLP
Yeah jann started 7th in the race I got (you tube clip says 8th my mistake) he finished 2nd. Mass pile up/offs on first corner. Didn't see 2nd race? didn't know there was another. Good fun. Great 2 days. Good unsigned talent going to waste! ???

I started on pole for that race - as Synwraith says, FOUR SECONDS, ahead of everyone - and went out left to allow the pileup onto the apex. I just couldn't turn in because of all the cars alongside me and got taken off.

Got out the gravel, caught up the 5 second gap to the leader and took a late apex into the second last... and got taken out again. Recovering it I had to cede to Jann - I was lined up to get back onto the track, but to do so would have taken me into his path so I didn't.

The guy who won was talking to someone else a bit sheepishly about it - he'd caused the first corner pile-up in effect, by hitting everyone else as well - and apologised to me afterwards. He'd never actually played GT5 before and had no idea what he was doing or where he was going :lol:

It was only a little random fun race and only Jann and I had any experience of the track, car and, as it turned out, game :lol:

Last edited:
When I heard you weren't coming I was surprised, hopefully cya next year :D!

I want to see the UK & IRE completely own it up at the EU Finals :)!

Cheers Tidgney!
Hope to make it next year no doubt you'll be there too :)

Did anyone get back from silverstone and relies just how much better the thrustmaster wheel is then the dfgt??

I think the fitness in the end got you through, when i turned round to see how everybody else was doing after i had done my best, you will still giving it your all and still going a 1 min+ later in each event, everyone could see that were giving 101%, well done on geting the 5th. Only negative i have to say is i thought you were abit pushy in day 1 race 2, when you started behind me and must have touched me about 6 times in the first 4 corners and then pushed me wide, i went on to be 5th as i was just trying to be conservative and pick up a few points after get the maximum in race 1 to ensure i made day 2 in the top 16. I was just too conservative after listening to my brother lol to take it easy and just did my own thing after that in the pods and ended doing pretty consistantly well to pick up 4th, but throwing away the 2nd in the final must have cost me a top 6. I haven't been able to stop thinking about the finals yet. Just praying for a miracle that someone in the top 6 for one reason or another won't be able to make boot camp, would definatly be more prepared next year though!! will be cracking on with fitness regardless!

Uber late reply, but yeah thanks. I must admit I had no idea it was you I was racing at the Nurburgring, I guess it was a bit borderline but I felt I had to go for it, sorry! It's a shame you came so close to making it after performing so well in the gaming, but given the physical nature of racecamp maybe having a year to work on that will allow you to be in with a much stronger position next year. Unless someone can't make racecamp this time of course! :)

Back