UK finalists at Silverstone (now includes Famine's reports)

• Thread starter leexr2i
  • 153 comments
To be fair, Lucas Ordonez was a karting instructor in 2008...

He was that too. But, in his own (LinkedIn) words...

Drivex s.l, Motorsport events
2007 – 2010 (3 years)

Driving tuition to customers.

I don't know where the line is with GT Academy, but I'll hazard a guess that if you've held an MSA Competition Licence at National C or equivalent, that'll be the line.

After all, I've now won an official motorsports event and I doubt they'd exclude me (if I could qualify!) :lol:

Superdan - cracking job too. Well done - you've every right to be proud of yourself.

(with GTP_Ingram - a GTA finalist in 2010 - 4th)..

I now pretend that never happened :grumpy:

Jack is a top competitor, he and I progressed from the same semi final at Red Bull Gridsters. I put him under a whole heap of pressure in the races I was behind, and he didn't make a single mistake. Now he is through to a place where his driving talents can be a benefit, so fair play to him.

Superdan - cracking job too. Well done - you've every right to be proud of yourself.

Thank you, honestly didn't think I was going to finish in the top 6.
Can you remember if my media interview was any good? That is my main weakness I think.

Thank you, honestly didn't think I was going to finish in the top 6.
Can you remember if my media interview was any good? That is my main weakness I think.

I didn't get chance to take my own notes for that - just filled in their sheet. Do you remember what two questions you were asked?

Davissi
therefore that year was definitely the most difficult finals so far with also the huge slipstream not allowing people to properly pull away from the field on some tracks.

You need to give up about that move I pulled on you Davissi; weak or strong slipstream settings, it doesn't matter to me, as Jack will testify ;)

I like that the national finals have a broader spectrum of assessment than when I was competing, it has forced everyone to raise their standards by the looks of things.

Best of luck to all of you, I'm so jealous that you have a one in six chance of 'racing for real'! Its an amazing experience to get to the Silverstone final, win or lose, so just enjoy it!

Nice vid Dudy 👍 Looks like it really dried out by the time you had a go.

As for the slipstreaming argument, this year it was completely off. There was the slightest bit of natural tow if you get really close to the other car but nothing crazy.

You need to give up about that move I pulled on you Davissi; weak or strong slipstream settings, it doesn't matter to me, as Jack will testify ;)

I like that the national finals have a broader spectrum of assessment than when I was competing, it has forced everyone to raise their standards by the looks of things.

Best of luck to all of you, I'm so jealous that you have a one in six chance of 'racing for real'! Its an amazing experience to get to the Silverstone final, win or lose, so just enjoy it!
No I don't need to Alex thanks, it helped you way more than it hindered me, its always interesting to look at the way the competitions changed and how they got rid of some stupid things. I went last year without wanting to go to Silverstone and this year I was going to go to the Nats also without wanting to go to Silverstone but its always awkward in work to sort. All I'm interested in is a competition as real as is virtually possible ever since I was a kid so I'll use examples whenever I need to Alex WINK :D
The bumping and barging is also something they need to get rid of when evaluating the talent and that never affected any of my results.

I didn't get chance to take my own notes for that - just filled in their sheet. Do you remember what two questions you were asked?

Ah ok, I can only remember the first one which was who is your favorite race driver or something along them lines.

Yes, although it is extremly disappointing i will be back better next year, i cracked keeping cool on the pods this year and only had to give around 75% most of the time as i just hardly ever made a mistake and qualified 1st almost every race. If i made the final 12 or whatever next year i will certainly be in far better shape fitness wise thats for sure. Also for driving the 370z i did alright but let myself down to a degree, first timed run i was clean and good but nothing special, second run went for it and spun-was pretty wet at this time, but finsihed the run quickly in vain. Overall i gave a good account of myself but wasn't quite enough. Already looking foward to next year! lol and will be supporting all the finalists espically Dessy who seemed conistantly good in all events and also a very nice guy.
EDIT-Also yes davissi must add, 2010 was very tough and also 2011, as only 2 went through, very unlucky for the likes of yourself to miss out with a 3rd place finish, i think each year they are slowly improving the event, qualifying this year there was alot more room for error and a little bit easier with prevoius winners not being able to enter of course. 6 from 32 is much better than 2 from 22.

I came in 3rd last year so know how it feels to just miss out. Messed up my media interview - totally un-prepared so no one to blame except myself. I didn't get the time to give this years tt a good run but hoping to get back next year all going well :)

Don't focus on the other competitors guys... It will upset you at Silverstone for sure.
To everyone looking for tips on the finals. Fittness, fittness, fittness! Work on that. You should all be outside running, or in the gym already now.
There are always going to be some cynical people, just make sure they don't get in the way of your performance.

Train hard guys.

Congratulations to the finalists!

Reading all these emotions and experiences is getting my nerves up :nervous:
I know Rutter and Dessy from some online races, and they were fast. But in these different circumstances, not at home behind your own TV, is not more the art of keeping your nerves under control?

Too bad I read all about those 2 lap races with qualify. I’m not that good at qualifying for races. But I always to better in the race itself. So 2 laps isn’t much to make it true the traffic. And them penalties (are they on hard?) cause the slightest touch is deadly. And also, are you able to tune the GT500? Or restricted?

It’s not a good thing that those regional final days are held on different days! Next Tuesday and Wednesday I’ve got mine in Belgium. Anyone got some last pointers? It’s my first time in an event like this.

A good thing is that 2 of my community buddies qualified too. So we can calm eachtother down a bit :)
Keep your fingers crossed for OR_Sven on July 24 and 25!

Again congratulations to them who already made it! Nice job. Hope to see you guys soon. 👍

Last edited:
Congratulations to the finalists!

Reading all these emotions and experiences is getting my nerves up :nervous:
I know Rutter and Dessy from some online races, and they were fast. But in these different circumstances, not at home behind your own TV, is not more the art of keeping your nerves under control?

Too bad I read all about those 2 lap races with qualify. I’m not that good at qualifying for races. But I always to better in the race itself. So 2 laps isn’t much to make it true the traffic. And them penalties (are they on hard?) cause the slightest touch is deadly. And also, are you able to tune the GT500? Or restricted?

It’s not a good thing that those regional final days are held on different days! Next Tuesday and Wednesday I’ve got mine in Belgium. Anyone got some last pointers? It’s my first time in an event like this.

A good thing is that 2 of my community buddies qualified too. So we can calm eachtother down a bit :)
Keep your fingers crossed for OR_Sven on July 24 and 25!

Again congratulations to them who already made it! Nice job. Hope to see you guys soon. 👍

Nothing to be nervous about :) Just do your own best and have fun! Been at all National GT Academy finals in the Netherlands which all had a great ambience, its nice to speak to fellow Gran Turismo fans and see the faces behind the nicknames.

See you at Zolder Sven! :)

I came in 3rd last year so know how it feels to just miss out. Messed up my media interview - totally un-prepared so no one to blame except myself. I didn't get the time to give this years tt a good run but hoping to get back next year all going well :)

When I heard you weren't coming I was surprised, hopefully cya next year :D!

I want to see the UK & IRE completely own it up at the EU Finals :)!

What a result. Feels pretty awesome I must say. Congrats to everyone that made it, especially Des for winning, epic stuff. Was great to see so many familiar faces.

I know a bunch of top guys missed out this year - some through unfair circumstances, which must really suck for them, but as others have said already, I'm sure there will be future events, and you won't have us lot to compete with lol. Last year I embarrassed myself a bit to be honest, turning up unprepared and with unrealistic expectations, but in hindsight I'm glad it turned out that way, since it gave me a reality check and allowed me to go away with a much better idea of how to prepare for this year.

It would be nice if we knew the scores across the disciplines for day 2, since I must have done something right after landing just 8th in the gaming (a real disappointment after the first day, and having never finished lower than 3rd at any point), but also to give us an idea what to work on.

But yeah, I felt like I was on the cusp at the end of the day, so to make it through to racecamp was a massive relief. Now the real work begins I guess!

I finished a write up earlier today recapping both days in great detail. If you were there or weren't and would like to know how things went down (from my perspective) you can read the posts on the GT Academy section of my website.

I have been documenting my journey to now since last year and I plan to continue doing so all the way to the finals and throughout, so keep an eye on it if you are interested in my progress.

I finished a write up earlier today recapping both days in great detail. If you were there or weren't and would like to know how things went down (from my perspective) you can read the posts on the GT Academy section of my website.

I have been documenting my journey to now since last year and I plan to continue doing so all the way to the finals and throughout, so keep an eye on it if you are interested in my progress.

Great website Des 👍

Jelly of your web design skills :lol:

I've updated the blog post with a few more images now I've had a chance to run them all through a drama filter on Photoshop.

I've updated the blog post with a few more images now I've had a chance to run them all through a drama filter on Photoshop.

Nice of you to include the 'Famine looking smug receiving his champagne' photo :D

TECHNIKRS4
There are always going to be some cynical people, just make sure they don't get in the way of your performance.

From my experience, that'll be Rob Barff :lol:

What a result. Feels pretty awesome I must say. Congrats to everyone that made it, especially Des for winning, epic stuff. Was great to see so many familiar faces.

I know a bunch of top guys missed out this year - some through unfair circumstances, which must really suck for them, but as others have said already, I'm sure there will be future events, and you won't have us lot to compete with lol. Last year I embarrassed myself a bit to be honest, turning up unprepared and with unrealistic expectations, but in hindsight I'm glad it turned out that way, since it gave me a reality check and allowed me to go away with a much better idea of how to prepare for this year.

It would be nice if we knew the scores across the disciplines for day 2, since I must have done something right after landing just 8th in the gaming (a real disappointment after the first day, and having never finished lower than 3rd at any point), but also to give us an idea what to work on.

But yeah, I felt like I was on the cusp at the end of the day, so to make it through to racecamp was a massive relief. Now the real work begins I guess!

I think the fitness in the end got you through, when i turned round to see how everybody else was doing after i had done my best, you will still giving it your all and still going a 1 min+ later in each event, everyone could see that were giving 101%, well done on geting the 5th. Only negative i have to say is i thought you were abit pushy in day 1 race 2, when you started behind me and must have touched me about 6 times in the first 4 corners and then pushed me wide, i went on to be 5th as i was just trying to be conservative and pick up a few points after get the maximum in race 1 to ensure i made day 2 in the top 16. I was just too conservative after listening to my brother lol to take it easy and just did my own thing after that in the pods and ended doing pretty consistantly well to pick up 4th, but throwing away the 2nd in the final must have cost me a top 6. I haven't been able to stop thinking about the finals yet. Just praying for a miracle that someone in the top 6 for one reason or another won't be able to make boot camp, would definatly be more prepared next year though!! will be cracking on with fitness regardless!

Nice of you to include the 'Famine looking smug receiving his champagne' photo :D

Heh, that was pure bewilderment.

The last twice I've been to Silverstone, something surreal has happened. Last time it was accidentally interviewing Adrian Newey...

From my experience, that'll be Rob Barff :lol:

Rob's really hard on the competitors, but quite funny and pleasant on downtime.

During my 370Z autotest the guy setting the big timer off was struggling with getting it going reliably. Rob said "There's a problem with the organic component of the switch. There's a knob on the end of it.".

Latest Posts

Back