Unfair suspension from online play.

• Thread starter Mrkeebz
  • 256 comments
Except that one is required for the other. That seems like a pretty big connection.
Nope. I have my localized account without ps+ and sport mode is just as functional.
I know they said you need it...but then...

There was a thread last week with a couple of people saying no reason was given. Just a notice reading like their official notice

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_8406534.html

This is a generic msg for everyone right?And actually a warning for people not to "Illicit activities such as cheating through unauthorised modification of game data, exploiting a bug in the game, or showing improper behaviour towards other users"

That (my guess) also includes hate mgs (in game chat or in PSN).Do anything of these and you get suspended.Simple as that.

We actually don't know if they gave an explanation or not. Without a screenshot I barely believe anything he'll say as it's always a recurring theme with banned players to lie.
I'm pretty sure there is a thread somewhere in this section where someone was banned and relayed what he was told, which was that generic statement. Maybe I can find it, must be in the PD is cracking down started by the staff.

Because they dont have to.Offenders know what they did.Plus,PD has the right to ban anyone without zero explanation.

So it's not as easy as you think because they don't have to? OK.

This is a generic msg for everyone right?And actually a warning for people not to "Illicit activities such as cheating through unauthorised modification of game data, exploiting a bug in the game, or showing improper behaviour towards other users"

That (my guess) also includes hate mgs (in game chat or in PSN).Do anything of these and you get suspended.Simple as that.
That is a generic notice for everyone, available in the NEWS section yes. However people that have actually been suspended said that their notice of suspension message was just a reiteration of that notice.

So it's not as easy as you think because they don't have to? OK.

Its not easy to send an indivitual msg pointing out to cheaters what they've done.It would take too much time to explain everything to everyone.Yet they have the data so they actually can easily check who is the offender or not.
Either way cheaters know what they've done.PD only needs to suspend people.They do not have to say the spesific reason to every one of them.

There was a thread last week with a couple of people saying no reason was given. Just a notice reading like their official notice

This thread states he got a specific message for a conduct breach.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/code-of-conduct-breach.374377/

I was searching around and found something from the BETA with regard to "3. COMMUNITY CODE OF CONDUCT". It may be irrelevant but there is a long list of things there and I guess some of them carry over to released game and some are releated to the BETA in terms of streaming etc etc. https://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/gtsport/entry/ ( scroll down to ITEM 3. )

Either way cheaters know what they've done.

This is the problem though... it's not just cheaters who have been suspended. As @banckzy said, he got a warning last week but he has no idea what for. Someone else posted that the only thing they could think of was that they created a lobby called Stoners Paradise. Someone else had the letters 'nig' asterisked from the word NIGHT on a livery. Some things seem innocent but have been moderated, so no it isn't necessarily obvious.

Its not easy to send an indivitual msg pointing out to cheaters what they've done.It would take too much time to explain everything to everyone.Yet they have the data so they actually can easily check who is the offender or not.
Either way cheaters know what they've done.PD only needs to suspend people.They do not have to say the spesific reason to every one of them.

And if the person in question decides to fight back in the courts? Then what?

Well they may be a bit concrete. If its pitch glitch or livery... We live in a progressive world, so if you have the words man and white can be reported as offensive.
Wonder how they actually do the evaluation of accidents. I hope they don't start banning people for actually using the pause menu as a pause menu.

would love to know @Famine take on this...
Why? I'm not that interesting.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the Sony/PD relationship. PD is its own company, but it is owned by Sony (specifically SIE, which is itself owned by Sony). Think how Audi is owned by Volkswagen AG and you're about there - day to day there's almost no relevance, but Audi relies on Volkswagen AG's money (and tech), and ultimately the senior management team of Audi reports to the Volkswagen board. If PD had a Dieselgate, SIE could probably fire Yamauchi, but I'm not up on the finer points of Japanese business law...

As such, the account suspensions - and they are suspensions, rather than bans - only cover GT Sport's online activities, because the players committed offences in GT Sport. Send a rude/abusive message in GT Sport's chat and you'll find that, if you're reported, you'll get notified by Polyphony Digital. Send a rude/abusive message by PSN messages and you'll find that, if you're reported, you'll get notified by your local Playstation branch. Although I reckon in both cases the email will appear to come from an @playstation domain email address.

Why is GT Sport suspending people's accounts? In general, it's for exactly what the message says: "Illicit activities such as cheating through unauthorised modification of game data, exploiting a bug in the game, or showing improper behaviour towards other users, are strictly prohibited." - although note that "such as" suggests that these are examples and not a defined list limited to these things. It's not as simple as just using the pit glitch in Sport Mode; you may be suspended for using the pit glitch offline ("exploiting a bug in the game"). "Showing improper behaviour towards other users" could be abusive messages, or obscene liveries, or even persistently hitting other drivers. We don't know.

In specific cases such as this one, I've no idea - only the users themselves know what they have and haven't done. Although in my experience, those who break the rules do find amazing self-justifications that allow them to think that they haven't broken any rules at all.

yas
Nope. I have my localized account without ps+ and sport mode is just as functional.
I know they said you need it...but then...
It's not needed for every account. At least one account on a console must have PS+ (and be a master account, with that console activated as a primary console), and all the others on that same console can access PS+ benefits. Like Sport Mode in GT Sport.

This thread states he got a specific message for a conduct breach.

I was searching around and found something from the BETA with regard to "3. COMMUNITY CODE OF CONDUCT". It may be irrelevant but there is a long list of things there and I guess some of them carry over to released game and some are releated to the BETA in terms of streaming etc etc. https://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/gtsport/entry/ ( scroll down to ITEM 3. )

As we've seen though, an "adult" nature can be interpreted a million ways. It's clearly ridiculous anyway... I raced someone a couple of days ago with anime on their livery. WTF is that all about by the way?

one thing I will add, I got a warning from GTS the other day for violating code of conduct however no example was given and to this day I still havent a clue what I did wrong. still awaiting response from PSN for which I emailed them around a week ago now.

ok I didnt get suspended but I got a warning but no doubt there are plenty of others in the same boat who have no idea why....

Did it specify anything about the Code of Conduct? I'd have to see the message, but who knows maybe it does or doesn't differ from a ban message. Could be anything like a decal you uploaded?

I'm pretty sure there is a thread somewhere in this section where someone was banned and relayed what he was told, which was that generic statement. Maybe I can find it, must be in the PD is cracking down started by the staff.

I'd have to find such thread, I remember the announcement from PD saying their bringing down the hammer.

The judge throws it out like they do everytime.

I have wondered if someone at PD is actually watching a number of random races each day. Or PD are gathering data from each race and only races in the pool of odd data are randomly being checked.

Rules are never applied to all people equally, not here not anywhere. So I doubt PD are banning all the people that did whatever the OP was deemed to have done, not this week anyway {insert ghoulish noise}

Looking at it, and through the thread, it's pretty easy to tell what's wrong. Chat, decals, you wouldn't suspect it but it happens. We'd have to know everyting the player has done, or maybe they can try to post why they think they've been punished.

I have wondered if someone at PD is actually watching a number of random races each day. Or PD are gathering data from each race and only races in the pool of odd data are randomly being checked.

I wonder if they could look at the average times people are doing on any given track and take that as a form of baseline average time. Any lap/race time that is insanely shorter could be investigated, applied to online only races. Maybe there is a minimum expected time to finish the race that could be used as well.

If applied to online races only this would allow the aliens such as that guy doing a under 4 min Nordeschleife recently in that weird car to continue.

Looking at it, and through the thread, it's pretty easy to tell what's wrong. Chat, decals, you wouldn't suspect it but it happens. We'd have to know everyting the player has done, or maybe they can try to post why they think they've been punished.
It's not that easy though is it... you may have made an off hand comment after a race once.. or maybe used the word NIGHT in a livery which it detected the letters NIG. Without specifics or something obvious, it could be anything.

They'll lose money.Simple.

This is the problem though... it's not just cheaters who have been suspended.

Is there any kind of proof for that?

As @banckzy said, he got a warning last week but he has no idea what for. Someone else posted that the only thing they could think of was that they created a lobby called Stoners Paradise. Someone else had the letters 'nig' asterisked from the word NIGHT on a livery. Some things seem innocent but have been moderated, so no it isn't necessarily obvious.

People may say they did nothing wrong.That does not mean anything.Because:
A. They could be lying
B. Because they have not realized they were doing something wrong.
A is simple.B on the other hand is not.In both cases,they have broken rules and policy of PD or PSN or both.Even if they did not have the intent to do so,PD or Sony have the right to ban them.
Let me give you an example.There are a lot of people who think that they race fair and clean but they actually dont.If they get punished for racing dirty,its something they deserve even if they think they did not.

It's not that easy though is it... you may have made an off hand comment after a race once.. or maybe used the word NIGHT in a livery which it detected the letters NIG. Without specifics or something obvious, it could be anything.
It was me that wrote 'Hard Day and Night' on the description of a scapes photo, I assume a bot initially turned it to ***** because the next day it had returned to 'Night' and when I just checked it again now, it's back to *****. So I guess a bot is running, but a person is looking at what the bot has done to see if the user broke the rules.

So we all sign a contract that is air tight, that states we will forfeit the use of something we've paid for without any explanation or recourse. Lovely.

No.You agree on certain terms in order to use that product.You buy the right to use it,you dont buy the product/program.
If you violate the rules they have the right to ban you.They dont have to explain to you what you did wrong.You agree to that.In every single game you buy works the same way.

Yeah, I told you already. Plus...

"On 28/1/18 your activity in Gran Turismo Sport was a breach of our Terms of Service.

Content of an adult or sexual nature is against our Code of Conduct."

That is not cheating.

Oh I get it.Still did they do something agaist PD policy?Yes.So they know why they got that ban.

No.You agree on certain terms in order to use that product.You buy the right to use it,you dont buy the product/program.
If you violate the rules they have the right to ban you.They dont have to explain to you what you did wrong.You agree to that.In every single game you buy works the same way.

Oh I get it.Still did they do something agaist PD policy?Yes.So they know why they got that ban.
Yeah, but you said cheating. It's much easier to know you cheated than that you could have used a word that an automatic checking system decides is either offensive or of an adult nature.

So we all sign a contract that is air tight, that states we will forfeit the use of something we've paid for without any explanation or recourse. Lovely.

Yes and no.

You buy a game and the game is yours for sure, they cannot take your game back. But we are talking about the online mode here. If you want to play online you need an account and the account is not "yours", it is a licence that you obtain to play online under the rules, whatever the rules are, and if you want to use the account you need to accept the TOS. So if you break the rules you lose the licence.

Yo pay for a game which includes a service in the case of the online.

Yes, paid for the right to use, I could have worded that better but it's hardly an argument in favor this transaction to be so one sided as some of you think it is. If you violate the rules, IF is the word to look at. They may not have to explain it to you at first, but if you pursue your rights under the contract they'd better come up with something.

Not games I buy that are offline only.

Yes, paid for the right to use, I could have worded that better but it's hardly an argument in favor this transaction to be so one sided as some of you think it is. If you violate the rules, IF is the word to look at. They may not have to explain it to you at first, but if you pursue your rights under the contract they'd better come up with something.

Not games I buy that are offline only.

Offline games only also have similar rules.For example you cannot mod them.If you do (and they find out somehow),they'll come after you.
But either way they dont have to explain anything to you.You want go after them legaly?Good luck with that.I would really like to see someone spend 5000 dollars or more to get an answer to :"what did I do wrong?".

Offline games only also have similar rules.For example you cannot mod them.If you do (and they find out somehow),they'll come after you.
But either way they dont have to explain anything to you.You want go after them legaly?Good luck with that.I would really like to see someone spend 5000 dollars or more to get an answer to :"what did I do wrong?".

Offline games are a different topic so I'll skip that part.

I'm trying to make the point that PD must keep records of why someone was banned from there servers, something more than just a generic email. Evidence of the offense, time, date, that sort of thing, also the exact part of the TOS that was violated. Now this is not effecting very many people and loosing the use of the online portion is a minor loss to most but, things can get out of hand and escalate which is something no one wants I wouldn't think.

I've seen successful class action suits over less tbh, but there would have to be many many people banned for something like that to happen which won't.

Back