Unravelling the Mysteries of GT Sport's Driver Rating System (and How To Improve Yours)

Does your starting position have any influence on your potential DR rewards from a race?

Let's say I'm the highest rated driver in a race, but I have qualified at the back. Does the game still "expect" me to win/podium?

For me that was quite an interesting article as I'm trying to improve my ratings at the moment but struggling to do so.

I have D rank for driving etiquitte but A rank for sportsman as I usually have very few incidents in races (the most common is
being rear ended from a far too fast car) so this will actually help me possibly make some improvements.

Tell us the abridged version. Bit too much to get my head around.

"In fact this is exceptionally complicated, but as far as players are concerned it’s quite simple: finish well."

By the way, I am 99% sure it is 1500 points gained from moving up a DR Level.

I remember I was winning races but only getting 100-200 points from each one as I was easily the highest rated, and when I crossed the S Rank level that same day, and theoretically should have gained another 100-200 points and been 50100 ish, I was instead at 51600 ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Andrew Evans (@Famine) on February 26th, 2018 in the Gran Turismo Sport category.

From what I have learned, the absolute strength of the field (SOF) is not factored instead its the relative SOF. What I mean is if you have an E rating and your entire field is also E, then you stand to gain the same number of points off each opponent as if you are S ranked in a field off all S players. Basically, the higher your DR is relative to your opponent the less points you will gain from beating that opponent. The reverse is also true.

Also, having the highest door number (or having the most DR points) does not mean that you have to podium to gain DR. In a closely matched field where all the DR values are within a 1000pts of each other the highest ranked player will only have to get top half to see a DR gain. Having to podium to gain points is only really for S or A ranked players in a weak grid of mostly B-D ranked players

I've been to your "extreme cases" quite frustrating , but sometimes thats an easy win ...
And thanks for info about the car number , I thought it was about the qually time ..

The harder, and larger, the grid of opponents, the greater the rewards for a good finish. But be warned: as your DR can fall too, a larger and harder grid will make it fall by more should you get a poor result.
If every driver in a full grid is S rated, then the last place finisher will lose more points than a single S driver finishing last against a full grid of D drivers? This doesn't seem quite right. Should it be a "larger and weaker grid (compared to your ranking) will make it fall by more should you get a poor result."?

It seems like the algorithm assigns points by comparing each player to one another separately and the overall point change is the sum of those comparisons. It could also factor in the difference between the drivers, so two S drivers have a roughly even amount of points gained/lost compared to an S driver vs. D driver where the S driver could potentially lose a lot of points and gain very little and vice versa.

From what I have learned, the absolute strength of the field (SOF) is not factored instead its the relative SOF.
If every driver in a full grid is S rated, then the last place finisher will lose more points than a single S driver finishing last against a full grid of D drivers? This doesn't seem quite right. Should it be a "larger and weaker grid (compared to your ranking) will make it fall by more should you get a poor result."?
I'm going to change the wording on that one, as you're right, it gives the wrong impression.
I've been through DR levels several times in over 250 races testing this out and my points gains are consistent with ~1,200pt more than my finish position. And ~1,200pt less when I've gone down!

...TBH I was always looking at the number on my car and trying to at least be in that place, and whenever I was I got DR+, but whenever I was under I got DR-.

Also I have a feeling if you get SR red at the end, DR doesn't change to + at all, it can only go -. But still, I am not sure of this...

Cheers...

Also I have a feeling if you get SR red at the end, DR doesn't change to + at all, it can only go -. But still, I am not sure of this...
Nope. I've had loads of races where my SR has gone down (a 1pt SR drop is enough for a red SR) and my DR has gone up - as recently as last week.

"Your car number is a good indicator of where you should aim to finish."
Heeeee so if I start on 13 but my car number is 8 so I need at least finish in 8 or 7 eh?

"Your car number is a good indicator of where you should aim to finish."
Heeeee so if I start on 13 but my car number is 8 so I need at least finish in 8 or 7 eh?

Think of door number as a way to 'feel' out how you DR will change based on your finish. If my door number is 10 and i finish 8, then i know that there are 2 people that i beat that i will get 'extra' points from thereby boosting my overall DR gain. If my number is 12 and I finish 15 then the same thing is true and my overall DR loss will be worse than if I my number was 15 and i finish 12 even though both situations will cause a net loss in DR.

Theoretically it'll propably work for the rating system.
But you're allso dependeble of the rest of the grid.
The most honoust drivers are the B ones,especially the ones who just promted from C level.
What allso has a big influence:the time of the day you run the events.
So drivers rating is an indication,not an absolute thing

Great read @Famine Thanks for confirming what I was thinking and adding more info 👍

Jerome

That's a very nice way of putting it John Crellin, I will have to pay more attention to my car door number in future online races!

Not "need" but you should aim to. It's not a certainty, hence the slightly vaguer nature I wrote into that section!

Think of door number as a way to 'feel' out how you DR will change based on your finish. If my door number is 10 and i finish 8, then i know that there are 2 people that i beat that i will get 'extra' points from thereby boosting my overall DR gain. If my number is 12 and I finish 15 then the same thing is true and my overall DR loss will be worse than if I my number was 15 and i finish 12 even though both situations will cause a net loss in DR.

I see....
Thanks for info

I've been through DR levels several times in over 250 races testing this out and my points gains are consistent with ~1,200pt more than my finish position. And ~1,200pt less when I've gone down!

I am 100% sure it is 1500 points. (From analyzing races using DR of every player in the race, before and after).

DR E lasts for exactly 5 races. Players have 1 point for that time (although for scoring against other players they are treated as having 2000 points). Then you become DR D with 2000 points (and can then sink down to 1 point, still D).

@Milouse deserves much credit for interrogating stats to find a lot of these facts, and for creating tools for the rest of us to use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanations! I m toying with the idea of deliberately getting my rating down since I m at a point where it is not fun anymore cause I m always between 5th and 8th with no chance in hell to ever with a race against my similarily ranked opponents.

Thanks for the explanations! I m toying with the idea of deliberately getting my rating down since I m at a point where it is not fun anymore cause I m always between 5th and 8th with no chance in hell to ever with a race against my similarily ranked opponents.

What's more fun, battling between 5th and 8th with people of the same speed, or

winning by 20 seconds against people way slower than you, while not fighting anyone?

DR can be dropped because it requires you to always win or finish in top 3, but SR not unless you have bad behaving in racing that if that is in real life, you would be sent to hospital because of accidents. I can say that whatever the rating of DR, even an E or D but the SR is S, that is normal. No. 1 is not for everyone. But if the DR is S, and the SR is "even" an A, it shows an embarrassing thing.

Back