Weekly Racenet Challenge

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 184 comments
Yeah, this is the first Racenet Challenge that I actually put some effort into, instead of just getting Platinum and quitting. I enjoyed this one. A category of cars I like, and a track I like. None of that reverse track BS.

You well and truly spanked Matt Neal's lap time in the Focus :lol:

You well and truly spanked Matt Neal's lap time in the Focus :lol:

He only got 5 laps though. But then the loaner was at 84% condition. I wonder how much quicker a fresh car would be, or if it even makes a significant difference.

He only got 5 laps though. But then the loaner was at 84% condition. I wonder how much quicker a fresh car would be, or if it even makes a significant difference.

Give it a try, would like to someone's opinion on this, as i can't see any difference lap time wise.

Like i said i went faster in a standard car to a fully tuned and upgraded car.

You would expect about a second or two faster in a fully tuned car, but its just not the case.

@anim8r_uk can you shed any light on this?

Last edited:
Give it a try, would like to someone's opinion on this, as i can't see any difference lap time wise.

Like i said i went faster in a standard car to a fully tuned and upgraded car.

You would expect about a second or two faster in a fully tuned car, but its just not the case.

@anim8r_uk can you shed any light on this?

No idea I'm afraid. The only thing I can think of is you're just getting better and faster. Or the setup isn't quite right....even though you've got upgrades applied.

Sometimes upgrading a car can actually unsettle it and make it worse... GT6 tought me that :lol:

As for the used car vs new car... I think the main difference is that the used car will have a higher chance of getting a mechanical issue due to it's age (missing gears etc)

No idea I'm afraid. The only thing I can think of is you're just getting better and faster. Or the setup isn't quite right....even though you've got upgrades applied.

Sometimes upgrading a car can actually unsettle it and make it worse... GT6 tought me that :lol:

As for the used car vs new car... I think the main difference is that the used car will have a higher chance of getting a mechanical issue due to it's age (missing gears etc)

Over the year's i have done a huge amount of testing and tuning on lots of different racing game's.

I run clean consistent laps when testing, i can definitely say it's not down to better, faster driving.

I understand in some cases upgrading cars can unsettle it and make it slower,
i have done engine upgrades on three different cars now without any difference in speed or lap times.
Others on my friends list have said the same thing, maybe its just the cars i have tested or maybe the engine upgrade
just doesn't work!

I think the tuning and upgrades are neither here nor there, if i can run a 123.7 fully tuned and a 123.4 stock
something is wrong, i would say a good tune should account for a second or so, same with upgrades,
its just not the case tho.

Don't get my wrong am loving the game and think its the best racer for PS3,
just think its a area that could/should be improved.

Over the year's i have done a huge amount of testing and tuning on lots of different racing game's.

I run clean consistent laps when testing, i can definitely say it's not down to better, faster driving.

I understand in some cases upgrading cars can unsettle it and make it slower,
i have done engine upgrades on three different cars now without any difference in speed or lap times.
Others on my friends list have said the same thing, maybe its just the cars i have tested or maybe the engine upgrade
just doesn't work!

I think the tuning and upgrades are neither here nor there, if i can run a 123.7 fully tuned and a 123.4 stock
something is wrong, i would say a good tune should account for a second or so, same with upgrades,
its just not the case tho.

Don't get my wrong am loving the game and think its the best racer for PS3,
just think its a area that could/should be improved.

Thanks for the feedback.... I'll pass it onto the team. I see your point... tuned 'should' be faster/better than stock.

Last edited:
Back on top at BRANDS GP with a 123.2, took two hours sweating my head of tho :lol:

i can say a million percent that engine upgrade dose nothing at all in the BMW.

@Speedster911 are you on xbox? if so what times are being put down at BRANDS GP on this weeks RC?

Last edited:
I agree with STEVE. I'm not the fastest driver around but I'm quite consistent when tuning. I run a 3 lap time attack in Custom Cup mode with the BMW @ Brands (same combo as you). First with no upgrades at all I got 1:26:1. Second attempt with all 3 upgrades (didn't touch tuning sliders) I got 1:26:5. With upgrades the car felt more stable, but also felt heavier and sluggish. Definitely not faster.

I agree with STEVE. I'm not the fastest driver around but I'm quite consistent when tuning. I run a 3 lap time attack in Custom Cup mode with the BMW @ Brands (same combo as you). First with no upgrades at all I got 1:26:1. Second attempt with all 3 upgrades (didn't touch tuning sliders) I got 1:26:5. With upgrades the car felt more stable, but also felt heavier and sluggish. Definitely not faster.

Finally, thank you.
Maybe CM was hoping for the placebo effect on this one, or maybe they just don't work as they should.

When chasing time it really stands out that the tuning is to basic and the upgrades just don't work.
I would say a good tune on BRANDS GP in the BMW is worth .200 if that, its way to basic.

For me tuning and upgrades are a huge part of any racing game, and a better tuning system would improve the game a massive amount.

Improve tuning, upgrades and have a leaderboard for every track and car class.

Then who needs pcars? CM could cash in with the bad wheel news on PS4 :D

Oh @anim8r_uk if CM need a test driver ;)

Improve tuning, upgrades and have a leaderboard for every track and car class.
I actually love the fact that only the basics are available for tuning, i can 'correct' a car in 5 mins and it will behave much better whereas in games like Race Pro the tuning options are so extensive i don't know where to begin really. The tuning settings are perfect for a game like this that wants to give us the middle ground between sim and fun/ let's get on with it 👍

Do agree with the leaderboards and upgrades though ;)

I've let the guys know about the tuning options. It does seem odd. I'm going to run a test myself later aswell.

Has anyone noticed a difference between custom cup tuning options and Online tuning options? Just wondering if they are the same or not.

I'll keep an eye on this one and see what can be done.

Cheers for the feedback.... this is how we're going to improve and make the best racing games out there. The type of games you guys all want to play :)

Cheers for the feedback.... this is how we're going to improve and make the best racing games out there. The type of games you guys all want to play :)
You've already made it anim8r_uk, like i said before don't alter the formula and just iron out those bugs and it's a near perfect racing game :cheers:

You've already made it anim8r_uk, like i said before don't alter the formula and just iron out those bugs and it's a near perfect racing game :cheers:

appreciated... but there are still lots and lots to improve on :) Maybe not for Grid Autosport...granted..... but plenty to improve on for the future.... and a lot of that comes from feedback. Grid Autosport took into account a LOT of feedback..... and Autosport was the result. Onwards and Upwards :)

The upgrade types are the same in Custom Cup and Online. The effect however I'm not sure since I haven't unlocked any upgrades online (just tuning sliders so far). If the upgrades work as they did in Grid 2 it's gonna be perfect. The different combinations give different characteristics, but their laptimes are similar. So you can upgrade engine but sacrifice handling, or vice versa. Makes for a nice tactical game online where you keep trading places in corners and straights 👍 The tuning sliders are fine as it is. They don't make you go faster, but just makes the car more comfortable for your driving style.

The upgrade types are the same in Custom Cup and Online. The effect however I'm not sure since I haven't unlocked any upgrades online (just tuning sliders so far). If the upgrades work as they did in Grid 2 it's gonna be perfect. The different combinations give different characteristics, but their laptimes are similar. So you can upgrade engine but sacrifice handling, or vice versa. Makes for a nice tactical game online where you keep trading places in corners and straights 👍 The tuning sliders are fine as it is. They don't make you go faster, but just makes the car more comfortable for your driving style.

I don't think the sliders give you the real option to tune to your driving style, there's not enough options to create
balance from understeer to oversteer, to keep it simple adding downforce front and rear would be better, a ARB front and rear, or even tyre pressure.

In GRID2 the lap times was improved by the upgrades and felt faster as it should, unlike the cars i have tested in GRID AS that do nothing.

Tuning and upgrade are more show than go in GRID AS for sure.

Im not hating on the game i love it, i have said loads for me its the best racer on PS3.

I think this area could be better and if leaderboards was added for every track and car class,
it would stop me spending silly money to play pcars as i guess it would for a huge amount of people.
It could even tempt more people off GT and boost sales for GRID AS

Edit: Nurburgring would needed to be added too :D

Last edited:
I have to agree with others, I have a fully tuned & upgraded BMW 320i and I can't tell or see any difference.

Even when choosing my car before the race, when I keep flicking between my tuned car and the loaner car the performance level indicators don't even move, the power/engine levels are exactly the same...

I don't think the sliders give you the real option to tune to your driving style, there's not enough options to create
balance from understeer to oversteer, to keep it simple adding downforce front and rear would be better, a ABR front and rear, or even tyre pressure.

The tuning is not great, and cranking everything to the limit only creates a small change at best, but it's juuust enough to "trim" the handling to your liking. It won't change an understeery car to neutral, but at least it allows you to control the understeer. That's what I feel. I agree that a separate slider for front/rear downforce is sorely needed though. Adding downforce now just creates understeer (it feels like rear downforce increases more than front). As for ARB or tyre pressure, I think that's too complicated for a game like Grid. I don't think the physics are detailed enough to make it matter anyways :lol:

I'm starting to wonder if we've added a fully tuned/upgraded BMW to the RaceNet challenge.... that might explain why there isn't much of a difference between what you think is 'stock' and tuned..... the 'stock' is actually fully tuned aswell, by mistake?

The reason I think this is, I'm seeing nearly a 3 second difference between the Focus and the BMW, both running stock..... and that shouldn't be the case.

I'm still chasing this one up..... I'll keep you posted

I'm starting to wonder if we've added a fully tuned/upgraded BMW to the RaceNet challenge.... that might explain why there isn't much of a difference between what you think is 'stock' and tuned..... the 'stock' is actually fully tuned aswell, by mistake?

The reason I think this is, I'm seeing nearly a 3 second difference between the Focus and the BMW, both running stock..... and that shouldn't be the case.

I'm still chasing this one up..... I'll keep you posted

Good thinking mate but i think its just a case the upgrades don't work, online and offline i have tested both.

Good thinking mate but i think its just a case the upgrades don't work, online and offline i have tested both.

Maybe the BMW has gone into the game with full upgrades... even though it's showing as stock. Could be an issue with a rogue file. The BMW shouldn't be 3 seconds faster than the focus with both in stock trim.

Either that or you're all just really rubbish at tuning your cars and need to get better.... Muhahahahahahaha! :P

Maybe the BMW has gone into the game with full upgrades... even though it's showing as stock. Could be an issue with a rogue file. The BMW shouldn't be 3 seconds faster than the focus with both in stock trim.

Either that or you're all just really rubbish at tuning your cars and need to get better.... Muhahahahahahaha! :P

:lol: i don't think its just the BMW in question, i tested two street cars too with no change in upgrades.

more and more people are saying the same thing

Edit loaner Focus 124.2 so not that far of the BMW, must be your driving :P

Last edited:
:lol: i don't think its just the BMW in question, i tested two street cars too with no change in upgrades.

more and more people are saying the same thing

Edit loaner Focus 124.2 so not that far of the BMW, must be your driving :P

HAHAHA.... my driving is.... no..... maybe you're right..... i suck! lol

Hmmm... ok... seems like there's something up with the upgrades then...... more investigation... :D

HAHAHA.... my driving is.... no..... maybe you're right..... i suck! lol

Hmmm... ok... seems like there's something up with the upgrades then...... more investigation... :D

I was racing with REPLAY yesterday and he said he's had two save's corrupted because of tuning parts and upgrades.
Now he never buys tuning parts or upgrades and he is flying, SVENOS said stock is faster too.

I'm loving this week's challenges. Good car/track matches especially for Touring/Enduro/Open Wheel. I always have trouble with the Washington Hill Circuit though. Who would've thought 3 corners could be so hard? :lol:

The Party Mode challenge is quite interesting. Despite having the worst stats, I was way faster with the Integra than the BMW/BRZ. I think it's because the oversteer physics is still a bit wonky, so the understeering FWD Integra feels much more intuitive to drive for me.

That Intergra just felt so much better to drive than either of the 2 rear wheel drive cars and was the only one that I could Platinum the event with.

I now just need to spend a little time with the endurance and open wheel events as I could only gold these at the first (tired) attempts. Enjoyed all of them this time round. :)

terminator.jpg

Any news on this mate?

Enjoying this weeks RC at ALGARVE GP, competition is so strong in CAT C touring 👍

Edit:
SEPANG INTERNATIONAL CIRCUIT // SOUTH CIRCUIT // TIME ATTACK

This was also great fun, nearly snapped my wheel getting this panspeed round the track, what a handful :)

Last edited:
Did some laps on RaceNet challenge below, new track for me so is quite fun to learn which way is quickest way around. Still learning though.

AUTÓDROMO DO ALGARVE GP CIRCUIT // Time Attack // FORD FOCUS ST TOURING CAR

Back