Welcome to a new GTPlanet!

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 250 comments
Looks great Jordan. đź‘Ť

Everything is much cleaner and easier to read.

EDIT: The site looks better in Default mode this time in my opinion.

EDIT2: Wow, the quick edit thing is awesome!

VIPFREAK
Dood, come on people, stop with the ad complaining... at least it's out of the way and not like IGN or UCP where to view pic you get a WHOLE PAGE devoted to one ad and if you want to view it you have to find the "skip" button. This is the most considerate site I've seen with ads. Be thankful... Once in a while subscribe, it's nice and it's not that bad. I mean you get coffee, smokes, or a burger everyday for $4.00 (some of you anyway). :dopey:

FACT: Yes...it's better then those other sites
FACT: I don't mind that GTPlanet has 'ads'...hell, every web-master has to make money somehow and for a site like GTPlanet, it's the best revenue creator!
FACT: It's NOT really 'out of the way', considering at the bottom of every page you see this size of OPEN space

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| One
| or
| Two
| Simple
| Ads
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

FACT: I'm pretty damn well sure Jordan makes more money from 'ad-space' then he does from users upgrading to Premium status, but that shouldn't have to alter how BIG the ads have to be!

FACT: Again, I don't mind that GTPlanet has ads, it's just the size of the ad-space itself and how 'empty' that space is, which distracts from everything else...IMHO!

EMERGENCY!!! The old site logo was much better stylistically than the new one that just got updated!!

And the smileys don't work for me when I click on them. Neither does the font colour drop down menu.

And quotes of Famine aren't automatically bold anymore so everyone will have to use damned bold tags. There should be some custom code for this guys (just when you are quoting said member). :lol:

icemanshooter23
I can't seem to find the edit button :confused:

Can you help me out?

Its on the bottom right hand corner of your post. Next to the quote button and where the report button would be if a post was posted by someone else.

Out of curiousity, is there any way to view a user's current "reputation points", other than the tag being applied for more than 300?

evilgenius788
Its on the bottom right hand corner of your post. Next to the quote button and where the report button would be if a post was posted by someone else.

I see it now đź‘Ť Passed right over it as it looks similar to the quote button.

Famine
Out of curiousity, is there any way to view a user's current "reputation points", other than the tag being applied for more than 300?
I'm wondering the same thing.

It's so...so...SHINY!

Really, though, it feels much more taught and clean, like the GSX-R/4 carving Tsukuba...(yes, I've fallen in love with it...)

I'm also wondering.
Would or could it be possible to rename the "On-Line Racing" section to just "Competitions" or something simmilar and include the Photomode Competitions aswell?

Hey, cool, my Lancia picture's in the header!

It's like buying a pair of new shoes after you've had the same sneakers for a while... it's a little different, but you get used to it! :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone - I am glad most of you enjoy the new site! Everyone who is having problems, please report them as a new thread in the Site Feedback forum. I know several of you are having problems with smilies and the "New Post" link. Please post them in the appropriate place for me to help you.

For instance, why is all the text in each post double (or 1.5) spaced? It just stretches everything out even more.
Line spacing has increased. It's a proven way to increase readability of text.

FACT: I'm pretty damn well sure Jordan makes more money from 'ad-space' then he does from users upgrading to Premium status, but that shouldn't have to alter how BIG the ads have to be!
I'm testing the 250x250 ads at the bottom to see if it improves the number of clicks. The old vertical format made next to nothing. If it doesn't improve, I will switch back to the old one.

No. Remember, I don't want this to become a ranking system.

Would or could it be possible to rename the "On-Line Racing" section to just "Competitions" or something simmilar and include the Photomode Competitions aswell?
No, I think their current names and locations are more logical and descriptive.

Jordan
No. Remember, I don't want this to become a ranking system.

Fairy snuff (edit: I've just noticed that you can view your own in your Profile).

I'm also curious - call me a technophobe if you will - what the "RSS" link near the top of the page does - or rather is meant to do. When I clicked on it I got a stream of HTML gibberish.

I always used to 1.5 line my essays, and I always 1.5 line formal letters.

It opens it out and makes people want to keep reading, rather than seeing a hyoooowge block of text and thinking "Gah!".

Looks awesome Jordan, I think VIP summed it up in his first post.
I can't explore all the new features & what not.

đź‘Ť

Wow. Jordan, you've simply outdone yourself this time. I really thought that GTP had reached perfection with GTP6. I haven't discovered quite all of the new features, but I look forward to exploring and rediscovering GTPlanet again.

These redesigns are the one of several reasons why I've stuck around for so long. I always look forward to something like a site revision even if the current version is practically perfect.

Simply amazing.
EDIT: Just testing the new quick edit... How come you have to put tags in to put text on a separate line? Not sure if I like that (I can understand why since the site is XHTML now, though).

It hasn't been a proven problem with any other website or book.
That's probably because typographers have taken advantage of this technique for hundreds of years.

I'm also curious - call me a technophobe if you will - what the "RSS" link near the top of the page does - or rather is meant to do. When I clicked on it I got a stream of HTML gibberish.
Take a look at http://www.whatisrss.com/. It does a pretty good job of explaining this form of content syndication.
James12345
EMERGENCY!!! The old site logo was much better stylistically than the new one that just got updated!!
I just noticed this. James, could you elaborate on why you think the old logo was better?

Ok, I have a small thing that bugs me a little bit... The Search box on the right side of the page to search the entire site and also having "Search" on the left side of the page for the Forums confuses me somewhat. Would it clarify the left link to maybe rename it to something like "Search Forums"?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpo...6&postcount=47

At the bottom of that post, the text is a bit messed up
I think he just changed the color of that line of text in his post.

Ok, I have a small thing that bugs me a little bit... The Search box on the right side of the page to search the entire site and also having "Search" on the left side of the page for the Forums confuses me somewhat. Would it clarify the left link to maybe rename it to something like "Search Forums"?
A good point.

Jordan
I'm testing the 250x250 ads at the bottom to see if it improves the number of clicks. The old vertical format made next to nothing. If it doesn't improve, I will switch back to the old one.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2046225&postcount=21

Big gap to top of quote because of those ads.... (possibly dependent on skin)

Jordan
I think he just changed the color of that line of text in his post.

I was actually referring to the overlapping text in the line(s) with the big "way"s :) I should've mentioned exactly what I meant.

It looks fantastic, but I'm not really digging the fact that the boards take up 100% of the screen width. The extra width just makes it seem as though there's more to read. If you do something like 80%, it's more readable...but that might mean a lot of reworking in the CSS on your part

Wow this is amazing!! :) great work Jordan! I love the new cleaner look aswell as the new logo and pictures of GT4... plus all the new features and bigger user avatars!!

oh, there is one thing though, the text in the quote boxes used to be in bold font making it easy to glance and see them easily in a block of text, I know they are in boxes but I was wondering if it was possible to make them bold again??.. Its only a small thought....

My only complaint is with the GTPlanet text. The roundy-letters just irk me. It's such a contrast from everything being boxy. Haha.

edit: Yay! My posting oddities are all gone. No more [ quote][/quote] before each post!

wow man, you sure know how to make people happy. Like you said man, you notice a change in style, yet it feels the same as ever before, nice of you to stick with the colors. R.I.P. vBulletin 3.0, hello gtp 8!!!

edit:embarrassed:h, and i have noticed on some pages, you know at the top where you have the pics of cars, slight errors in the selection of the left side of the car, a little fade and soft brushing go a long way. But the new pics are a welcome change!

It's nice, but it lacks the post counts on GTP Lite. I like knowing what I'm up against in a conversation. Not to mention, there's no joining date. Man, I'm starting to dislike this by the minute.

Great, just picked up something else. No thread starter names underneath each thread. ....... Can I have the last version back please?

Back