Welcome to a new GTPlanet!

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 250 comments
toyomatt84
Great, just picked up something else. No thread starter names underneath each thread. ....... Can I have the last version back please?
:lol:

I am sorry, but I don't think that Jordan, after having worked on this new version for the past 10 months, is going to change everything back to the earlier version just for you.

It is just a matter of getting used to it.

The Wizard.

Joooooooordaaaaaaan? Can you read me a story?

:D

Final comment: Looks great - really professional. Will take a little while to get used to, but most things do. Now go have a well-earned beer.

toyomatt84
It's nice, but it lacks the post counts on GTP Lite. I like knowing what I'm up against in a conversation. Not to mention, there's no joining date. Man, I'm starting to dislike this by the minute.

Great, just picked up something else. No thread starter names underneath each thread. ....... Can I have the last version back please?
Yeah I'll agree on those points, they are abit missed. But nonetheless I still like teh new style.

Whoa, this is pretty sweet looking. Nice work Jordan!
Except, I have to edit my post and click a box for my signature to appear, which gets annoying and frustrating.

toyomatt84
It's nice, but it lacks the post counts on GTP Lite. I like knowing what I'm up against in a conversation. Not to mention, there's no joining date.
What difference does that make in a conversation with someone? Do you respect someone with a higher post count more? Are all new members numpties?

toyomatt84
No thread starter names underneath each thread. ....... Can I have the last version back please?
Look to the right. The thread starter is there underneath the "thread starter" heading

Doesn't look too bad. :) If i'm to be honest, i prefer lighter background colours (such as the background under this text and the sidebar colour) to be blue'er rather than grey'er as it doesn't look as plain/common. But i mean that is just personal preference.

My Gran Turismo website is also undergoing a makeover, from this to the not-yet-finished new design/colours. Although it is still only made with basic tables, and i still have to update every single page individually. :D

If Premium wasn't so expensive i would have upgraded ages ago. Still plan to eventually. :cool:

Wow first time back here sinse the switch. I must say this is verry slick. but what i love the most is how you seem to have really captured the esence of GT. moving through the menues of GT4 just has a certain feel to it that can only be described as decididly "GT" this site and especialy the main page just feels like GT. Eccelent work Jordan. 👍

Jordan, as a web-designer and Gran Turismo addict. I love you, like a friends not... that.. way... in a good way without... yeah, I love the new design and the speed and accessibility of it all.

ND4SPD
Whoa, this is pretty sweet looking. Nice work Jordan!
Except, I have to edit my post and click a box for my signature to appear, which gets annoying and frustrating.
Seems like it fixed itself and now my sig appears all the time. Perfect! Awesome work Jordan!! Also, I totally like how you edit your posts now it seems so much quicker without having to load a whole different page!

I do love the new look. 👍 Functionality on the other hand, I do miss the old version(I guess GTP6?). I'll get used to it though. :)

inferno
but what i love the most is how you seem to have really captured the esence of GT. moving through the menues of GT4 just has a certain feel to it that can only be described as decididly "GT" this site and especialy the main page just feels like GT. Eccelent work Jordan. 👍
So that's where it came from. I haven't played that game in a while, I knew it seemed familiar, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. :lol:

DQuaN
I think homliness is what he meant.

GTP is after all, a second home to many of us. :)
home·ly ([FONT=verdana,sans-serif] P [/FONT]) Pronunciation Key (h
omacr.gif
m
prime.gif
l
emacr.gif
)
adj. home·li·er, home·li·est
  1. Not attractive or good-looking: a homely child.
  2. Lacking elegance or refinement: homely furniture.
  3. Of a simple or unpretentious nature; plain: homely truths.
  4. Characteristic of the home or of home life: homely skills.
home
prime.gif
li·ness
n. Looks like we`re both right. :sly:

a6m5
I do love the new look. Functionality on the other hand, I do miss the old version(I guess GTP6?). I'll get used to it though.

Functionality? I don't think we gave up any functionality! I think we got more functions now that we ever had before!

cardude2004
Functionality? I don't think we gave up any functionality! I think we got more functions now that we ever had before!
We definitely get more with the new version. For me, it was just perfect in the old version. While we get more with the new GTP, there are few changes that I have to get used to. Few things seems misplaced to me. Just matter of my personal opinion. ;)

Jordan
I just noticed this. James, could you elaborate on why you think the old logo was better?

Okay thanks for giving me the time, I know you're very busy. Now I realise that all design is subjective. I also know it (the logo) was changed to fit with the cleaner, clearer, more contemporary look. So I understand why it was felt to be needed. However, I'd like to put a case to keep the "old" logo (for what its worth - I'm guessing not much).

For a start, the old logo was more unique among game-type websites, it simply gave off a more solid, "Gran Turismo" racey vibe. It was really locked in everyone's heads as "GTPlanet" - in a very positive brand recognition way - not simply that we were "used to it" (IMO). Given the effectiveness, I'm not sure why it needed to be changed to a more generic (cleaner - but very common) look. I'd wager it's a little too soft for a site mainly designed for car fans (virtual or otherwise). It looks like a b-grade game site if I'm being honest, lacking personality. It's too clinical and a little fat.

What was really great about the old one was the little dot graphic encompassed by the circle communicated something other than simply clean/contemporary. It gave to me an "international, all encompassing" kind of vibe (but stylised enough to not look exactly like a 'planet' - nice and subtle). Even if I wanted to look at it like it wasn't a 'globe' per se, it was still a circle (signifiying GTPlanet) providing a home for loads of little dots (all the members :) ).

Even if I looked at this little graphic less literally - all those little dots were stylised to look more "racey", they looked like little drilled holes in racing pedals etc (yes I know it may just be me!)...

I felt it had more visual interest, being more appropriate for a GT web site, with more dynamics and a nice contrast of scale (all the little dots, big hard italicised (nice energy!) font...). The new logo lacks any kind of 'energy' or contrasing scale/dynamics making it seem lifeless, boring. The red "bubble" behind 'gt' doesn't communicate much other than look like a generic logo (like a brand of disinfectant or any other supermarket item).

Overall, the old logo was more unique, had more energy and was racier (italicising is good - hint hint). It communicated a few nice little ideas (at least to me), and had a very nice energy with more effective use of scale/dynamics. It was still clean and contemporary IMO.

But again, design is always subjective. The new logo looks competent enough for a GT web site if I'd never seen the superior "old" one.

I feel bad whingeing like this, so I should point out I love everything else about GTP ver. 8. Overall, brilliant job Jordan.
I still love GTPlanet. :cheers:

P.S...
The "n" and the "e" are the smidgest little bit close together on the new logo, which makes it look a bit naff. Ok, I'll shut up now...

James2097
The "n" and the "e" are the smidgest little bit close together on the new logo, which makes it look a bit naff.
That really irks me, too. The n should be moved a few pixels to the left!

James2097
For a start, the old logo was more unique among game-type websites, it simply gave off a more solid, "Gran Turismo" racey vibe. It was really locked in everyone's heads as "GTPlanet" - in a very positive brand recognition way - not simply that we were "used to it" (IMO). Given the effectiveness, I'm not sure why it needed to be changed to a more generic (cleaner - but very common) look. I'd wager it's a little too soft for a site mainly designed for car fans (virtual or otherwise). It looks like a b-grade game site if I'm being honest, lacking personality. It's too clinical and a little fat.
This is very interesting. I thought opposite in that I didn't like(in the way) the old logo, and liked the new one little bit better. However, I do agree with your description of each logos. I guess my gripe with the old logo was that I thought it was little "busy" and somewhat confusing looking. At a glance, it was hard to tell what you were looking at, unless you knew what it was. While I'm not a huge fan of the new logo either, it's simplicity adds to easier recognition. Sorry to sound like a total critic. :D

Blake
That really irks me, too. The n should be moved a few pixels to the left!
I didn't even notice that before! :lol:

Brilliant work, I really must say! It took me about zero seconds to feel right at home with the new features and looks! And that was one of the main ideas with this, no? Stunning but familiar, how cool is that??

I can however place myself among those who don´t really appreciate the new logo. Nothing is wrong with it in truth, in fact, it´s very good, but the old one was more "GTPlanet" (maybe I just have to get use to the new one). And truly, if you have a distinct logo for a brand, is it a good idea to change it? And if you change it, should you not make sure that the new logo atleast resembles the old one, so that the "brand " is not lost? Just my two cents.

Solid Lifters
The text is smaller, and I don't like that. But, everyting else is just fantastic!

Well worth the wait! :cheers:
What do you mean? The body text is the same size as ever…

Back