What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,316 comments
Mmm. My first was an eye opener. I can't wait until Summer Honey comes back around, though.
My wife can't drink beer (gluten) and I don't like how it tastes (bitter) so Angry Orchard is perfect for us. Summer Honey does sound fantastic. đź‘Ť

TB
I mean...I get that. My wife doesn't like bitterness (I'm certainly not calling you a woman...), but I can't live without it; it's probably my favorite of the flavor groups. I'm a firm believer in all aforementioned groups being present in a meal, but bitterness is like an exclamation point (even more than "spicy"). But I digress... To each their own.

TB
Summer Honey does sound fantastic.
It's my favorite from Angry Orchard, but be warned that it's so drinkable that, even at a piddly 5%, you may end up on the floor before you know it. :lol:

I mean...I get that. My wife doesn't like bitterness (I'm certainly not calling you a woman...), but I can't live without it; it's probably my favorite of the flavor groups. I'm a firm believer in all aforementioned groups being present in a meal, but bitterness is like an exclamation point (even more than "spicy"). But I digress... To each their own.
Let me clarify just a bit. I've never been tested but I believe that I'm a supertaster as every single item on their list of foods are things that I really can't tolerate eating. At least not without heavy modifications (like adding sweet creamer to coffee). You'll also notice hoppy beers listed in there.

So go ahead and call me a girl while I'm enjoying the hell out of my chocolate whatever martini. I don't mind. :P

20180216_130716.jpg

Late lunch, but my day's over so it includes a brew.

Sandwich: Chicken Salad (chicken breast, homemade mayo, whole grain mustard, red onion, Fuji apple, red bell pepper, avocado, serrano pepper, salt and pepper) on plain wheat (nobody told me the sprouted wheat and nut bread was finished off...:banghead:) with mayo, mustard, Trader Joe's South African Smoke seasoning and baby arugula dressed in a coriander-cumin-lime vinaigrette.

The orange things: Flamin' Hot LimĂłn Crunchy Cheetos (purloined from my daughter's partition in the pantry because I perceived a puncture in the packaging).

The brew: Liquid Arrogance.

Edit: Sweet (apple, red bell pepper), savory (chicken, avocado, South African Smoke), tangy (lime, mayo, mustard, apple), spicy (Cheetos, serrano, mustard), salty (Cheetos) and bitter (arugula, Arrogant Bastard) all in one fell swoop.

Couldn’t resist the urge to order junk food this morning so called up McDonald’s for a Big Breakfast with Sprite. Not the best way to start the day but there was nothing in the house and I’m too lazy to go outside.

Couldn’t resist the urge to order junk food this morning so called up McDonald’s for a Big Breakfast with Sprite. Not the best way to start the day but there was nothing in the house and I’m too lazy to go outside.

That's the spirit.

Anyway, CK2 night...however...
llXBqvg.jpg

...might as well, actually my first alcoholic purchase.

TB

There is a lot of high spirits in this thread!

Had this a couple of days ago:

IMG_2204_zpsphog9mts.jpg

The Rusty Nail.

Recipe? Don't. Even. Start.
Yes, it has blended Scotch and Drambuie in it. And a lemon twist.
Must be my favourite cocktail - I'm thinking of having one tonight before dinner. Maybe follow it with a B 52 after dinner.

IMG_2212_zpskbusth6b.jpg

I think the B 52 is still on the menu. :D

Last edited:
The burger joint I wanted to go to closed crazy early tonight so we stayed at the condo and had General Tso's and rice.

20180218_174603.jpg

And chased it down with more spirits, @photonrider - a coconut pineapple margarita.

TB
And chased it down with more spirits, @photonrider - a coconut pineapple margarita.

Is that what's in the glass?
Not the usual Margarita glass, but if in a fast-paced environment a regular Margarita glass would be a liability. Are they using tequila or rum? No garnish? Is it closer to a Pina Colada? All these questions . . . and you thought you were the tourist. :P

The best laid plans of mice and men . . . no B 52; instead of fussing with a bar spoon I decided to end this wild night of drinking (involving a whole can of Rickard's Red) with an oz of Grand Marnier:

IMG_2218_zps98n7v8jg.jpg

Not the usual Margarita glass, but if in a fast-paced environment a regular Margarita glass would be a liability. Are they using tequila or rum? No garnish? Is it closer to a Pina Colada? All these questions . . . and you thought you were the tourist. :P
When you're on vacation, you drink your alcohol out of whatever glasses they have!

And it is Tequila.

TB
It's 4:58 So it's time for a Mai Tai. :P

View attachment 716156

That's after finally trying Sake and not liking it. :lol:

This is what you're having (I know the secret sauce):
1/2 oz light rum
1/2 oz Gran Marnier
1/2 oz ameretto
3 oz pineapple juice
1 oz lime juice
1 pineapple wedge (which is missing because you've probably already mauled it.)

That's a famous and quite sensational drink. Addictive and expensive.

I'm having my regulation 2 oz Rusty Nail before dinner; peppered pork chops, buns, butter, root beer.. . . .

You modern pre-mixed types. :ouch:

Lunch was late today - whenever today is wherever you are - and that meant I deserved a two-olive, stirred not shaken, vodka martini (so as not to be too rebellious like Bond.)
The olives, of course, kept me from starving. Usially you wouldn't get two olives (either one or three depending on the size of the drink) but since I own the bar I demanded two for my 2 oz martini. And got it - so that slowed the munchies a bit.

IMG_2234_zpsn0bfziam.jpg

I added the bit about the martinis after TB liked my post so now it's fake news that he likes martinis stirred not shaken. Mwahahahahahahahah!

Last edited:
One of the easiest and very refreshing drink mixers to have around is a bottle of Rose's Grenadine. Rose's is fairly world famous in bars around the world for its Lime Cordial - another cheap and refreshing mixer. A bottle of either usually sets me back less than CDN $4.00 yet is good enough for many drinks.

Just pour a couple of ounces into an ice-filled glass. Throw in some fruit of your choice - lemon, limes, oranges . . . these make great additions to flavouring the drink:

IMG_2205_zpskymihbmh.jpg

At this point anything can happen.
You may just added soda. Or ginger ale. Or some lemon-lime carbonated water. White cranberry would be a good choice.
You won't go too much wrong if you stick to clear liquids - for instance, cola or root beer isn't to everybody's taste when it comes to being mixed with grenadine.

Once you've diluted it with a suitable liquid you can also add an ounce or so of vodka, peach schnapps, or gin to it - and that would make it really pop.

IMG_2207_zpsazdhcgbr.jpg

Last edited:
Are you kidding? It's quite mango. It's the least like coke of all of them. All of the flavors are pretty good though.

2FC3627F-8D28-449C-9912-F3C41620B9AA.jpeg
Not my image.

Hopper Head IPA from Wilde Ride Brewing Co. Redmond, OR
6.7%
75IBUs

Appearance: orange/amber in color.
Adequate suds from a heavy pour into a 22oz. Snifter glass. Extensive lacing on the glass throughout the consumption.

Aroma: Lovely sweet peach with maybe a hint of pineapple sweetness.

Taste: Really fruity. Apricot takes the lead followed by slight mango. Almost zero bitter aftertaste that IPAs are known for.

Overall: WOW! This is a really refreshing take on an IPA. 4.25 out of 5 stars for me.

Edited: because I can’t spell after 2 of these apparently

Back