What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,315 comments
Hnnnnngg...hot, fresh pita bread is bonkers; olive oil and dukkah with it. Also an approximation of Turkish coffee, just because.

Green stuff (vegetables), potatoes with mayo, curry ketchup and curry mayo.

I had a smoked salmon for my father and me and he ate the whole thing leaving me without meat.

In honor of the Bruins going to the Stanley Cup finals after a sweep of the Carolina hurricanes, I enjoyed a huge bowl of clam chowder.
Also had a grilled ham, turkey and cheese sandwich with tomatoes and onions.

I have another nut-interest.

Me too. For breakfast...

CC133D10-84C5-46C3-9E6C-ECDAAE4CACEF.jpeg

I love this forum. Such a boring premise, but it's interesting to scroll through and see what people of different nationalities and cultures are eating.

I'm just having a cup of black coffee with some home made pesto fussili.

The can design is better than the taste... but I kinda like it. The first few drinks anyways. Tends to get worse as I go. :lol:

But it's not too bad.

Snapchat-2125792374.jpg

Diamonds are forever...
233B8BBC-93C0-48C3-B513-FD267BCA830C.jpeg

One of the nicest cocktails I’ve had in years. Could have done with an extra measure of vodka for my liking but the taste was amazing.

Had a snacky/dippy dinner last night of which I'm reaping the spoils for lunch.

Homemade pita chips from homemade pita bread, za'atar bread (fresh today), muhamarra (roasted red pepper and walnut dip), baba ganoush (roasted eggplant dip with garlic and tahini (sesame seed paste)), an extra-dilly tzatziki (yogurt/cucumber dip with garlic and dill), ground lamb that I sautéed with thyme and preserved lemon peel and then let chill before adding diced tomato and parsley, and harissa (hot pepper condiment).

I'm happy.

Anyone got good recipes for mustard and collard greens? Especially in the actual method of cooking them? I've never eaten them, much less tried to cook them.

Anyone got good recipes for mustard and collard greens? Especially in the actual method of cooking them? I've never eaten them, much less tried to cook them.
Hard to go wrong with a simple sauté when it comes to the dark, leafy greans.

I like to use a stock pot because greens cook way down and you want to pack them in. I'll usually slice garlic thinly and get just a wee bit of color on it in some oil (stay away from extra virgin olive oil here; it gets bitter when toasting anything in it and there's nowhere here for that bitterness to hide) before reserving it and tossing in the greens that I've trimmed any stems and large veins from (these take longer to cook and by that time the delicate part is mush) and cut into ~1" strips.

Crank the heat up under the greens without a lid and move them around with tongs until the signature hot oil and water pop and hiss subsides, squeeze a little lemon juice (counters the "heat" of mustard greens and pairs well with garlic regardless of the variety of greens) and return the garlic long enough to get both mixed in and serve it up.

It's also worth noting that they take to pork products wonderfully. (What doesn't?)

Edit: You don't absolutely have to cook them either. Clean them (rinse and trim) and cut into ~1" strips, and in a bowl, "massage" them (grab two handfulls and rub them together) with a little kosher or sea salt as an abrasive to work out some of the natural bitterness*, then dress with a vinaigrette; sweet onion and bacon is my go-to.

*Edit: Rinse and dry the greens after the salty massage.

Last edited:
Well, see, that's why I came looking for advice. I tried to saute some mustard greens last night. They wilted down but apparently need a stock or something to simmer in for a while. I cooked them about ten minutes and they were very fibrous and chewy. Not so pleasant for a leafy green.
I took a look for some recipes and cooking methods online as well. Most of them have mustard greens cooking for around 45 minutes to an hour. I'll give it another go tonight and see how they turn out this time.

Well, see, that's why I came looking for advice. I tried to saute some mustard greens last night. They wilted down but apparently need a stock or something to simmer in for a while. I cooked them about ten minutes and they were very fibrous and chewy. Not so pleasant for a leafy green.
I took a look for some recipes and cooking methods online as well. Most of them have mustard greens cooking for around 45 minutes to an hour. I'll give it another go tonight and see how they turn out this time.
Age plays a significant role in their texture. The stewing method of collard greens developed in the south was largely needed because the leaves were big. It rules out utilizing them as a salad green as well. I try to get mine early.

You can give that method a try if yours are older.

I have been thinking of preparing whole grain rice with coconut Curry sauce and a chicken fillet tomorrow. I prefer Turkey fillet though.

I love some Turkey, but mostly Thanksgiving style and the leftovers made from it. Otherwise I prefer cornish hens.
For dinner tonight. I am on round two of figuring out these mustard greens. Im sauteing them with chicken, some peppers and garlic in apple cider vinegar and olive oil.
...2 hours later...
Ok, I gotta say. That was much better this time. Total cook time was around 45 minutes. The greens were much more tender, though i do need to wash them a little bit better.
And for your eyes to feast on.
20190521_175626.jpg

All in all, this is going to be another dish on the menu.

I'm eating Kefir right now. I love Kefir when I add coconut blossom sugar, raisins, shredded coconut and superfruit powder mix (it tastes very sweet).

3D_Biotona-Superfruits.jpg

I don't believe in superfood but this Superfruits from Biotona is so delicious that I have to add it to smoothies and Kefir. :D

Let’s be honest, nobody that ever buys this type of chocolate ever eats it themselves. It’s always given to somebody else, which means if you’re eating it, you didn’t buy it, somebody gave it to you.

There must be a whole industry for chocolates that only ever get eaten by receiver and not the buyers. Ferrero Rocher springs to mind.

View attachment 823102

Oh, and beer.

I did try to stay away but my love affair is yet to go.

Attachments

• BE9C3DC5-3538-4324-BE93-6E737F117F46.jpeg
    BE9C3DC5-3538-4324-BE93-6E737F117F46.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 12
Back