What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,202 comments
Had to take our cat to the emergency vet at MSU. Since it's all drive up and drop off and also about 3 miles from the house we decided to head into east lansing for lunch. First time eating "out" since even before the pandemic kicked off. We are enjoying our pies outside, three tables away from anyone.
Speaking off. The wife got a Chicago pizza, I got a Sicilian with pineapple, jalapenos and bacon.
20200821_134332.jpg 20200821_134337.jpg

49F70F86-F1DA-42F6-BFBE-056903BD2E92.jpeg

Decided to try Pork Belly, so bought some pork belly strips, teriyaki sauce and pak choi....

... it was revolting.

Sadly, the vast majority of it is now in the bin. Even the pak choi is bad. I ate the rice, and the teriyaki sauce is lovely, but the pork was inedible. I reckon I need to learn how to cook it differently, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so nasty.

View attachment 951787

Decided to try Pork Belly, so bought some pork belly strips, teriyaki sauce and pak choi....

... it was revolting.

Sadly, the vast majority of it is now in the bin. Even the pak choi is bad. I ate the rice, and the teriyaki sauce is lovely, but the pork was inedible. I reckon I need to learn how to cook it differently, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so nasty.
Being a food that isn't exactly something I would choose to eat at any given time, I almost didn't read the rest of what you had typed.

However, I chose to anyways just because and yeah, I still don't think I'll be eating pork belly anytime soon. :lol:

I have never tried to make pork belly, but I have had chashu. Chashu is wonderfully tasty.

TB
If it wasn't cooked long enough for the fat to be rendered down, that was probably nasty.

Cooked down more, though... :drool:
Yeh... I followed a recipe that said 40 mins, and the pack said 30-35 mins... but I have since read 20 mins on a high heat followed by slow cooking for a few hours... so will try that tomorrow. I have Dominos on speed dial just in case.

Second attempt at cooking pork belly was looking promising... but I left it in the oven too long.

It was looking fantastic about 30 mins ago but I figured that I would leave it on a low(ish) temp, only for it to go pretty dry and crunchy.

What is left is a bar snack at best, though it is rather tasty

And what was wrong with the bak choi? How did you cook it?

How did you cook the pork belly? Edit: looks like you answered it on the following page before I read it. Yes, pork belly should be braised or slow cooked for a couple of hours unless you slice it very thinly (which obviously it becomes un-cured bacon). A couple hour slow cook allows the fat to render and the skin to breakdown and not be tough. The other option is to roast the pork belly, Cantonese style.

Last edited:
For pork belly, the best ive had it was first brined in a herb and salt bath over night. Then season it and either just slow cook in a smoker for a few hours, or wrap it and stick it in the oven 275 for a few hours then smoke it for about 30 minutes to finish.

A St. Louis classic today. Crown Candy Kitchen.

Chips, chocolate... Square wrapped foil thing. That's a BLM. Bacon, lettuce, mayo. Lots of bacon on an 11 dollar sandwich so I ate half of it before eating it like a normal sandwich.

The chocolate is a thick shelled-like casing as if it was an Easter Bunny chocolate. But it's much thicker. The center is filled with peanut butter. I must admit, it's much better than a Reese's.

Chips appear to be standard salty potato chips that I couldn't make out to be a specific brand. If I has to guess, I'd say they are Lays Wavy.

Required a 4 hour nap afterwards.

20200828_092617.jpg

83C7F230-4B0D-4E9C-BC00-F5AEAEB877AC.jpeg

My latest attempt at cooking pork belly was considerably better than my previous two attempts!!

Slow-cooked pork belly strips for 6 hours before drying them off and putting them under the grill for 5-10 mins.

Made a honey and ginger glaze while that was under the grill, and it was very tasty... the pork was lovely and soft, and the fat on top was delicious.

That said, I did nearly get blinded by burning hot fat - I was crouching to look into the grill to see how they were coming on, and about 2 seconds after I lifted my head one of the strips spat out a tonne of fat which would have gone straight into my face... I will definitely treat them with a bit more caution next time!!

Back