What is the reason GT series never had tire marks???

• Thread starter craste
  • 130 comments
Maybe it will be in the final game or in the latest version of prolouge. Something I hadn't noticed. plenty of tire smoke though and I'm usualy trying to see through it than looking on the tarmac LOL

It would be nice to have.. but It wont make the cars faster or handle any better.

It would be nice to have.. but It wont make the cars faster or handle any better.

No but it would add to the realism of the game. If I go out and spin the tires on my car I will leave tire marks. Pretty much every other racing game now does this, so I see no reason why GT could have this. It's not like they don't have a world class development team.

Yes i know, It would make a nice eye candy on the replays :) or for drifters as well... I really don't know why. Maybe because has one of the best Graphics, they cannot fit that in because that would make game run sloweer? I dont really think so.. If we complain, PD will include it :D
And we don't need marks that stay for the WHOLE time, all we need is good 20 second marks, or distanced ones that many games use them. When certain distance on marks is used, then they start to disappear

Most game have the marks that disappear right? I mean Forza has that and it's on the less powerful 360. I have to imagine the PS3 is more then capable of rendering it.

I bet they can do it, even if they start to disappear after a little while. I really don't know why its not included, Its not PS3 or Xbox360.. it always depends on the game creators.. PS3 have lots of games with Skid Marks, its only Gran Turismo that never had them.

Most game have the marks that disappear right? I mean Forza has that and it's on the less powerful 360. I have to imagine the PS3 is more then capable of rendering it.

The 360 is better at textures and has twice as much RAM, so those two things might help a little...

It's not like the Wii or anything, it is actually a very powerful machine...

Better at textures? Not really, PlayStation 3 can stream textures much better with Blu-ray/Harddrive.

The textures for skidmark is ultra small and you can pretty much just repeat them over and over, the framerate will not even move, I bet.

But it's kind of like the reflections thing in the "Important visual thing Polyphony have missed" thread. While it migt be nice to have wheelspin and skidmarks, it's not absolutely essential.

But it's kind of like the reflections thing in the "Important visual thing Polyphony have missed" thread. While it migt be nice to have wheelspin and skidmarks, it's not absolutely essential.

Very true, well said. I don't think it really adds much to the games that have it, save for a nice photo. For the replays it might look cool, but when racing in cockpit or bumper cam you never know. This is a little thing thats easy to live with. I'd rather get some realistic looking smoke in the final game.

Congratulations! You've unlocked a new car.

whaambulance-ani.gif

As I've said yes it is. If GT wants to pride itself on being one of the most realistic simulators it needs to have basic things like this. We can do with out reverse lights and what not but real tires leave marks if pushed to hard.

I would love to have skidmarks, even though I'm not really sure why...
because it's realistic maybe? :dunce:
Very true, well said. I don't think it really adds much to the games that have it, save for a nice photo. For the replays it might look cool, but when racing in cockpit or bumper cam you never know. This is a little thing thats easy to live with. I'd rather get some realistic looking smoke in the final game.
If they don't add skidmarks they can remove the smoke as well.. I mean there is NO reason they wouldn't add it!! I can't understand they haven't made it yet!!!!

I would prefer skidmarks that just fade over time, not ones that have a distance limit. It's annoying after a few laps when you are drifting a corner and there's a skidmark beside you also disappearing.

I thought I rememeber seeing skid marks in one of the early videos? Could be wrong, what I would like to see as well though is tire barriers that react realisticly (like DIRT or better). As well I would like to see tire tracks in the "sand traps", it would be good to see where people are going off the track, and fun to watch the sand and tires fly when things go horribly wrong :)

The 360 is better at textures and has twice as much RAM, so those two things might help a little...

You haven't seen Uncharted: Drakes Fortune then. Its texture's are the best I've seen so far in console, so yes the PS3 can do textures. If we're talking about a crappy multiplat port being shoe horned to fit different architecture then maybe its a struggle, but we are not and if you use the spu, cell broadband and GC together its very powerful, but it does take longer to utilize or more understanding than the old ways.

Waiting for textures in Mass Effect is more of a concern, since its so easy to program for and its almost a 1st party game with huge backing, I was surprised, and also with the low specs of Halo 3 so it would run ok.

I'm in no way saying that the Playstation 3 isn't immensely powerful, but there are two areas in which it lacks slightly.

And you are totally right about Uncharted. What an amazing looking game!

Wrong answer!👍

Thanks for nothing...👍👍

How is that the wrong answer? Realism is exactly why we need tire marks, just as long as they don't go the Forza route and over do it. Like I said if GT wants to be the ultimate driving simulator it needs to be as realistic as possible not only in the handling of the car but in the environment as well.

Hmmmm at this point a bit of rationality is called for, skid marks do take up processing power, and memory, they need to be layed on the track when a certain grip (or lack of it) is reached by the tires, the position is then put in memory....ok now lets times that by the 4 tires on the car and then by the 16 cars on the track! ok what about online races, all this info then needs to be transfared in real time between every person in the game along with all the other info! Now there is a limit to what the PS3 can actualy do (I know thats hard to beleive) and so PD has to make compromises.......WTF PD compramiseing? yeah I expect that same statement is cried out loud in the PD offices daily LOL So PD have the dubious task of decideing whats needed and whats not, you want skid marks then something has to go to make room for it, lower car polygon count or maybe 15 cars instead of 16? PD are pushing the PS3 to it's limits with the current development tools (later tools will unlock more power from the PS3 which will be seen in GT6.....) GT5p however is a testbed for GT5 and no doubt feedback from the GT5p community on the game willinvoke such changes such as skidmarks if enough people want it, same with car damage, weather effects and custom body parts

Since when the 360 is better?
Give me a game that can beat UNCHATRTEDs better graphical power?
Or a multilayer that has 40 people playing at the same time with 0 lag?

Gran Turismo 5 Porlogue is over 5 GIGs.
Some Xobx 360 games are 5 gigs..

Back