What is the reason GT series never had tire marks???

• Thread starter craste
  • 130 comments
The 360 is better at textures and has twice as much RAM, so those two things might help a little...

It's not like the Wii or anything, it is actually a very powerful machine...

If you say so.. So tell me.. why forza 2 only has 8 cars and stuck with fake Lighting effects and really bad graphics when compared to GT5P?

wow how many times will this subject be posted...

Anyway Nox I dont even compare the new-gen GT to Forza, because there is no comparison. Forza cant even get photo-realism right and I believe that the PS2's GT4 graphics are more detailed and realistic. Ive had two pics of the same car one from GT4 and the other from Forza and asked my roomate which ones real and which is fake. The results were, the Forza 2 appeared to be fake because it looked "cartooney" as she said. Then I had to convince her that the GT4 screen shot was actually fake to. I do believe Forza may have better engine tone sounds but thats it. In GT4 the BOV sounds are more realistic as well as the sound of the turbo spooling, and the sound of the wind while your moving at a fast speed is awesome. Then if you get behind someone and draft the noise level goes down just like in realife. Its still hard to believe the PS2 was capable of doing so much.

I've merged the two skidmarks/tyre mark threads together as we most certainly don't need separate threads on an identical topic.

Scaff

You've merged 2 skidmarks into 1 ! thats a mighty skid Scarff You wearing you "keks" inside out to save washing? LOL

British humor...Apologies to the rest of the world LOL

there were fine skid marks in Need for Speed 4: High Stakes on PS1 and overall the graphics were beautiful in that game. Power is not the problem, maybe it's a legacy thing, or a philosophy that PD follows... or whatever. The marks don't really matter unless you're picky about the visuals. Does GT5 have indeed those backwards driving white lights(how do you call them?)? NFS4 had them too. :D

Well, when you are modeling a real-life track....

And on original tracks, so we really want Pole Position style back grounds with a generic building a blue sky? It is a distraction.

Besides, proper backgrounds add depth to the track and tricks the eye into see a two dimensional image as three dimensional. It is vital.

No, but for a game that is supposed to be simulating driving the cars it is a very relevant feature.

Me. I have always used the rear view mirrors when provided in GT games. It make sit easy to check cars behind you without losing sight of the next approaching turn.

Not really. They all have their points and add something to the game more than having tire marks. Granted, tire marks would add to the realism and be a nice feature. As it is now they have the nearly permanent marks left from previous races and so the visual effect is there when racing without seeing someone leave new marks. In all honesty you won't notice that much until replays. Skid marks are something that I never think about until someone else brings it up.

Either you are under the impression that the PS3 is supposed to be some uber computer or think that skid marks are extremely simple. Considering everything that PD manages to add to the game that adds to the realism and does have an effect on the game for the player. Skid marks would not be something that is necessary to pull me into the game.

Now if they did do skid marks and rubber on the track that added some grip in the racing line while leaving marbles off the line that would be an incredible feat and I welcome it. But I think that in the grand scheme of things skid marks are just a small thing that would have the most effect in the replay. Things such as damage are much more important for me.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic dude. :dunce:

...woops, meant to multi quote that one.

:odd:Wow I never thought skidmarks would be such popular topic. The last thread I started involved things that really matter like deeper tuning features like fuel mapping, ECUs, and boost contollers etc and wasnt as popular. Maybe I should start a thread about something simple like headlights, or windshield wipers.:rolleyes:

(sarcasm)

As it may add to the realism of a game, I kinda feel Tire marks, along iwth Tire screech, Reverse lights and stuff like that are more nitpicking issues that don't really effect performance. Now some things I ask for were things I feel could actually affect your race and/or your car:

Weather: In racing, weather is always gonna effect
performance so I think this would add to the strategy and to the race itself.

Real Time Telemetry: No Effect to the car, but It can add to your strategy when you are aware of where everyone is. Like it would be beneficial for JohnBM01 to know what cars are on the same lap or what cars are lapped in relation to his position on track if he can see the info streaming live as opposed to just knowing by sector times.

As for why PD hasn't included it, maybe because it hasn't been one of their main concerns or they're might have been difficulties. Just my input.

You've merged 2 skidmarks into 1 !
Wow, thats a huge skidmark! You don't want the ladies to see that now do you? :sly:

:odd:Wow I never thought skidmarks would be such popular topic. The last thread I started involved things that really matter like deeper tuning features like fuel mapping, ECUs, and boost contollers etc and wasnt as popular. Maybe I should start a thread about something simple like headlights, or windshield wipers.:rolleyes:
Hmm, I like those ideas. While I would like them I can recognize PD's balance in fun for all and complex enough for most gear heads.

Wow, thats a huge skidmark! You don't want the ladies to see that now do you? :sly:
A little extra toilet paper (flush twice if you have to) can go a long way to getting rid of that problem. When will people learn.

(sarcasm)

Erm - I thought I started all this Skid marks talk first?
:)

I dont know... There were like 2-3 different threads before which I didnt understand but they were all getting pretty good feedback.

Those are pre-rendered skid marks created by the track designers.

But do they have an effect on grip levels? Hmmmm...

The skid marks for the most part appeared to be pre-rendered, but it almost seemed like the GT40 made some fresh ones at the small drop near the start. It's tough to call.

The skid marks for the most part appeared to be pre-rendered, but it almost seemed like the GT40 made some fresh ones at the small drop near the start. It's tough to call.

Watch the second "leap"; much smoke, but no rubber at all.

This post has gone a bit quiet but its soo important to have skid marks and we need it in the next update.

I thought about this just whilst taking a dump and then whilst wiping me bum had noticed that I'd had a 'clean break' - you know when you wipe and theres nothing there - how satisfying is that? :)

I thought about this just whilst taking a dump and then whilst wiping me bum had noticed that I'd had a 'clean break' - you know when you wipe and theres nothing there - how satisfying is that?

Well, there you have it then.

Having skid marks in the game would add to realism for sure, you'd be able to tell for instance if the driver in front of you perhaps went too deep into the corner and locked up if you were to far behind to see, this might tell you that he's pushing too hard, not good at breaking points, or there's a problem with the tires (when tire wear is in the game). Same goes for exiting, you could tell who's pushing too hard.

It should be there. 👍

No but it would add to the realism of the game. If I go out and spin the tires on my car I will leave tire marks. Pretty much every other racing game now does this, so I see no reason why GT could have this. It's not like they don't have a world class development team.

I think other race games do it because they seek out one thing that they can do that many aren't doing or seek to do one spefic thing better.

Just because another game can do it, does that mean it's better? Most times games that focus on little things like tire marks and smoke fail big time in other areas. Cars are beautiful machines and driving them is more fun than looking at tire marks. I'm sure it's on PD's list to do, but tire marks would rank extremely low in the list to do when it's more important to get the car modelling, cockpit detail, track detail, light and shadows, engine sound, force feedback feel, tuning options, tuning effects, gear ratios, gauge display, background detail, etc....trying to perfect the overall driving simulation experience down first rather than worry about left over tire marks.

why should anyone have to beg for this? its inexcusable for a PS3 racing game not to have tire markings. it ties in with the definition of realism . something thats important in a simulator

The tyre marks would have to be subtle though. Too many games leave enormous black lines and that just doesn't happen in real life.

The tyre marks would have to be subtle though. Too many games leave enormous black lines and that just doesn't happen in real life.

It does if you really lock up bad. Which has made me think of an interesting damage effect - flatspots. I wonder if PD has thought of that one 💡

Back