What is the reason GT series never had tire marks???

• Thread starter craste
  • 130 comments
No but it would add to the realism of the game. If I go out and spin the tires on my car I will leave tire marks. Pretty much every other racing game now does this, so I see no reason why GT could have this. It's not like they don't have a world class development team.

Everyone always complains about how they would rather have gameplay over graphics. Until Sony is at bat. Polyphony is concentrating on the game aspect of the gameplay. You can complain that you cant do this, or you cant do that... Don't do it. Or play another game that does. Skidmarks have absolutely nothing to do with realism of a game.

You just don't walk into a game mesmerized by it and think "Wow is this reality?" as you poke around this photo realistic dynamic accurate world... everything is perfect.. except.. wait.. wait.. WHATS THAT OVER THERE?!? Is that... There were no tire streaks!!! This digital world is a lie.. oh god.. its all so clear now... Everything is fake.. all of these cars... the road.. everything.. its all digital..

Do you?

Because I put in GTR/GT5/Rfactor/LFS/Racer/ and play the game for the driving physics, have fun. Then I get up and move on. Right now GT5 is the release, with the best visuals of Cars, and Steering Wheel worthy physics. I love cars so I want to see them in the best way that I can. The lack of skid marks matter to me as much as they do when I'm watching Top Gear or out @ autox. Lower games can have features that Higher games cant. Dig Dug has a cool ground digging mode that Crysis doesn't have. Forza has skidmarks and damage. GT has the best visuals & physics. Burnout has the best crashes.

I'd hate for a single resource to be wasted on this feature.

Skid marks have quite a bit to do with realism in the game, how many tires have you encountered that won't leave marks under certain conditions? If PD strives for realism they need to do just that. It wouldn't be difficult for them to do what-so-ever.

It's pretty easy for me to tell that GT isn't real life, sure it looks good but you have to be blind not to see it's all computer generated, so I fail to see your point on that as well. Lack of skidmarks just adds to the unrealistic aspect of the game, which degrades the quality. I would rather have PD not wasting their resources on 20 variations of Skylines,or 10 variations of RX-7, but to each is own.

I agree with Joey, but also would like to add that they should only worry about it after everything major it done.

blademask
Lower games can have features that Higher games cant.
Quite true, but its not 2001 anymore, and there is more than just Sega GT for competition. The GT series is no longer unanimously the greatest racing series around, so its pretty cheeky to make comments like that. Furthermore, there are very major things that other racing games are beginning to have (or have had for a while) that the GT series still stumbles in a big way over, so that argument could actually be used against the series as easily as it could be used against GT competitors.

I agree with Joey, but also would like to add that they should only worry about it after everything major it done.

Agreed, there is still a list of things that need to be looked at as well.

I believe the reason for the inability to produce skidmarks is because of Kaz's reluctance to tarnish the beauty of the cars and the tracks as well. But... since damage is confirmed to be coming, will Kaz let up on skid marks too?

I hope GT gets skid marks soon so threads like this don't pop up anymore

Skid marks are overrated. Yeah its nice to drive around the track and see the tire marks of where someone went off but its really no big deal as the game will have to erase them eventually due to memory restraints

It's late, and I'm lazy so I can't mess about reading the whole thread, but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents...

I always used the skidmarks in Forza 2 for even more accurate reference points for braking and what not. Brake too late into a corner?? Adjust on the next lap. Brake too early?? Adjust on the next lap. Taking an alternate line through a corner?? Well, you'll see exactly where it'll put you your second time through the course...

Dunno, I've always found it much more then just an aesthetic effect.

Yeah its nice to drive around the track and see the tire marks of where someone went off but its really no big deal as the game will have to erase them eventually due to memory restraints
How little faith do you have in the PS3s power? The PS1 had 2 MB of RAM and it had games where skidmarks stayed on the track throughout the whole race. Unless GT5 is going to do actual simulations of physics rather than mathematical theorizations, there will be more than enough memory to spare.

Back